Mystery Babylon

MePlus6

I know discussing the identity of Mystery Babylon is like beating a dead horse at this point BUT I read something today in Jeremiah and wanted to share it.

In Jeremiah 25:12, the Lord says he will make the country of the Babylonians a wasteland forever. Wouldn’t this preclude original Babylon from ever being anything ever again except for a wasteland?

seated with Christ

Come quickly, Lord Jesus.
Saddam Hussein was building there because he saw himself as a reincarnation of Saladin (Bio), Saddam was born in Saladin's home town. Saddam had delusions of grandeur.

SkyRider

I know discussing the identity of Mystery Babylon is like beating a dead horse at this point BUT I read something today in Jeremiah and wanted to share it.

In Jeremiah 25:12, the Lord says he will make the country of the Babylonians a wasteland forever. Wouldn’t this preclude original Babylon from ever being anything ever again except for a wasteland?

You're exactly right. That's what it says about the possibility of that ancient empire resurrecting in that locale. Saddam did his best to try to revive it but it is still nothing more than a walk thru museum piece.

And why would the A/C want to establish his kingdom there anyway? It is not that accessible to get to. Satan is aware of prophecy. Why bother to spend a few years to build it up only to see it destroyed again?

The word mystery to me implies that it is not the actual Babylon but another city in another part of the world that has ties to the ancient Babylonian system. Rome went by the code name Babylon as mentioned by some of the authors of the New Testament. I think it will be Rome where the A/C will set up his short lived kingdom. Rome is strategically located on the Med, is pretty much centrally located in Europe and ships sailing by in the Med could easily see the smoke of her burning as mentioned in Revelation.

I just think a rebuilt Babylon for a short span doesn’t make sense for a variety of reasons.

Hiftobaf

You're exactly right. That's what it says about the possibility of that ancient empire resurrecting in that locale. Saddam did his best to try to revive it but it is still nothing more than a walk thru museum piece.

And why would the A/C want to establish his kingdom there anyway? It is not that accessible to get to. Satan is aware of prophecy. Why bother to spend a few years to build it up only to see it destroyed again?

The word mystery to me implies that it is not the actual Babylon but another city in another part of the world that has ties to the ancient Babylonian system. Rome went by the code name Babylon as mentioned by some of the authors of the New Testament. I think it will be Rome where the A/C will set up his short lived kingdom. Rome is strategically located on the Med, is pretty much centrally located in Europe and ships sailing by in the Med could easily see the smoke of her burning as mentioned in Revelation.

I just think a rebuilt Babylon for a short span doesn’t make sense for a variety of reasons.

Zechariah 5 is about some kind of restoration of Babylon. It might even involve a reconstruction of the Tower of Babel. That area has some long running connection with evil for whatever reason.

MePlus6

After reading what @Hiftobaf wrote about Zec 5, I’m confused.

The reference to Jeremiah 25 sounded like it was going to be after the Babylonian captivity. But if Zec 5 discusses a restoration of Babylon, then Jeremiah must be talking about a future fulfillment of prophecy.

ShilohRose

Babylon has never been completely destroyed. Andy Woods has begun a study on Zechariah, and he will do an intensive look at Babylon, and its place in the end times. I believe he spoke on a radio program about it extensively in the past few weeks. He also has just published a short book called, Babylon: The Bookends of Prophetic History. I suspect the antichrist will want his capital in Babylon because that is where the Tower of Babel was to be built, where man, once again, openly rebelled against God's instructions, and where God confused the languages. It's the home place of the mother child cult, which permeates many of man's religions, including Catholicism. Satan has been trying to build a one-world government ever since Babel. It wouldn't surprise me that the land of Shinar is where he would base his operations-- at least until Revelation 18.

Back