My wife calls it a man-period

Noah Cotterill

Sounds to me like stress.

I know stress. I deal with it, usually pretty well. I've been quite successful lately. But once in a blue moon I'll eat us out of house and home and feel very unmotivated. It sucks that it happened now. I have three weeks left of a very important hard set of classes, and then have a month off. Why couldn't it have happened at least on December 6th? lol
I'll be fine, but I was wondering if any other guys have times where they do the same thing.

Robert

Stress isn't always overt: it can happen subtlety and have just as subtle effects. From the stress of caring for my dad, I swelled up to 360 pounds without eating a great deal of food!! Folks thought I was cleaning out the fridge all the time, but the truth was that I was retaining fluids from being under constant pressure.

Now that most of the stress (stress from the state agencies continually hounding me for simply doing my job) has gone, I'm below 300 for the first time in 6 years. But this kind of stress almost killed me (literally), and although it seems humorous at first blush, the symptoms can underlie a greater problem that can be catastrophic if not addressed on both a physical as well as an emotional level.

Meg

Stress can build up until it hits full blown anxiety. Then it takes forever to get your body to get back to where you were before.

But I still think manstration is real. :lol:

Prayer really helps, Mike. I had an extremely bad day yesterday. First there was the news, just horrible, then at the same time the upstairs nutcases were going full blown. Robert and I both lost our tempers, and my blood pressure spiked really badly. We left the apt for a few hours, went to an Arbys to do art stuff. I was still really depressed and discouraged, so I went for a walk and poured my heart out to the Lord, then prayed for strength to somehow face more of this... The Lord did strengthen me, and He also gave Robert some insights. These are terrible times!! When I was in my 20's, I thought the world at large was headed in a wonderful direction! Nothing in my life prepared me for the world I see around me today, for the apathy and anger that seems the norm now. All I can say is prayer helps. Pray for strength to face whatever's going on. The Lord is faithful to give us that "peace that passes all understanding"...

:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

Noah Cotterill

Stress isn't always overt: it can happen subtlety and have just as subtle effects. From the stress of caring for my dad, I swelled up to 360 pounds without eating a great deal of food!! Folks thought I was cleaning out the fridge all the time, but the truth was that I was retaining fluids from being under constant pressure.

Now that most of the stress (stress from the state agencies continually hounding me for simply doing my job) has gone, I'm below 300 for the first time in 6 years. But this kind of stress almost killed me (literally), and although it seems humorous at first blush, the symptoms can underlie a greater problem that can be catastrophic if not addressed on both a physical as well as an emotional level.

I haven't had anything quite this serious. But it has been a somewhere recurring thing for me. My anxiety usually manifests itself in other ways that are less destructive.

Noah Cotterill

Prayer really helps, Mike. I had an extremely bad day yesterday. First there was the news, just horrible, then at the same time the upstairs nutcases were going full blown. Robert and I both lost our tempers, and my blood pressure spiked really badly. We left the apt for a few hours, went to an Arbys to do art stuff. I was still really depressed and discouraged, so I went for a walk and poured my heart out to the Lord, then prayed for strength to somehow face more of this... The Lord did strengthen me, and He also gave Robert some insights. These are terrible times!! When I was in my 20's, I thought the world at large was headed in a wonderful direction! Nothing in my life prepared me for the world I see around me today, for the apathy and anger that seems the norm now. All I can say is prayer helps. Pray for strength to face whatever's going on. The Lord is faithful to give us that "peace that passes all understanding"...

:hug :hug :hug :hug :hug

That sounds icky. I'm glad you worked it out with the Lord :)

FaithInChrist

Just want to add that on top of stress it could be blood sugar levels that are out of whack. Low blood sugar causes a person (male or female) to have an insatiable hunger. The person gorges blood sugar spikes, the person is lethargic (lazy) during the spike, then the blood sugar crashes again and the person feels like they are starving again. It can be extreme or subtle or a combination of both. It might be worth a simple blood test to make sure all is okay. Diabetes is a horrible disease to ignore because of the damage the high blood sugar does silently to the body.

Carl

You are young. Do work therapy. Go run a couple of miles. Get your heart rate up toward the (220-age) X .7. Or if really bad off go for 220 - age. Or an exercise bike. Or run up and down stairs. What ever for 20 or 30 minutes. Or get diabetes and worry about your blood glucose while eating.

Meg when the steam/smoke is coming out of my ears it isn't the time I can pray.

Eric Nicholas

I've been skimming these "man" threads for an hour or so, and they are interesting. Hahaha! It's a shame they are necrothreads though, because there is a lot of interesting topics here. :confused:

Anyway, yeah, sometimes I get moody and broody, more so these days than others, really. I think that's because a series of events that have led up to these points, rather than random chemistry firing off. My wife doesn't get this way, though. She's on an even keel most of the time. Hm... I'll have to ask her about that...

Last edited:

Andy C

Every once in a while I get emotional and eat everything in sight. Any of you guys have this happen?

She also calls it 'manstruation'

Edit: I feel like the hungry caterpillar.

'And on saturday he ate through 3 nutella sandwiches, 2 pizzas, 3 powerades...'
Hilarious.