My standing mixer just went Ninja on me !!

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Yes, they taste just like they smell. They aren't too bad at first bite but the aftertaste is like a bad medicine you have to endure. :sick

I'm somewhat afraid to say this very controversial opinion... But I like brussel sprouts.

Have you ever tried them baked? I don't know the recipe that was used when I had them last, but they're baked with a generous helping of some sort of oil topping.

Baked vegetables in general are almost always superior to boiled or steamed vegetables IMO. Baked or grilled. And I'm not even a vegetable guy.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
@Salluz I know a lot of people that like brussel sprouts! It's weird but I actually really liked them as a kid. My school cafeteria served them.
They are not too bad at first bite its just something bitter, regardless of how they are cooked.

Im a picky eater: I love onions if they are cooked, detest them raw. But I love carrots raw, and detest them cooked. :scratch

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
@Salluz I know a lot of people that like brussel sprouts! It's weird but I actually really liked them as a kid. My school cafeteria served them.
They are not too bad at first bite its just something bitter, regardless of how they are cooked.

Im a picky eater: I love onions if they are cooked, detest them raw. But I love carrots raw, and detest them cooked. :scratch

I've known people who could eat raw onions like apples, but I can't do that :lol I do really enjoy them on sandwiches, pizza, hot dogs, burgers etc. Carrots I can eat raw or cooked, especially cooked with some sort of sweet sauce. I generally try my best to be less picky, but some things just don't apetize me. Salads are kind of depressing. I'll eat them, but I never crave them.

One day at a Chinese friend's birthday party I tried cow's stomach and fried chicken feet on the same day. Neither of those struck my fancy, and I doubt I'll try either ever again in my life

RobinB

A few years ago I was taking a lasagna out of the oven I'd made for the hubs.... lost my grip on it and it flew across the room onto the floor. Not only did the food fly everywhere, the Corningware dish (my fave) also shattered into a thousand glass pieces. That was a night to remember. :rolleyes:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I'm somewhat afraid to say this very controversial opinion... But I like brussel sprouts.

Have you ever tried them baked? I don't know the recipe that was used when I had them last, but they're baked with a generous helping of some sort of oil topping.

Baked vegetables in general are almost always superior to boiled or steamed vegetables IMO. Baked or grilled. And I'm not even a vegetable guy.

There's room for people in this thread who like brussel sprouts. Never tried baked. Never tried, plan to never try them. If they're served at our wedding banquet, I'll pass on that dish.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
One day at a Chinese friend's birthday party I tried cow's stomach and fried chicken feet on the same day. Neither of those struck my fancy, and I doubt I'll try either ever again in my life

In Colombia I was given chicken's feet more than once. It was poorly of me to refuse them, but that's what I did each and every time. It was supposed to be an honor for the recipient. I'd be honored to get a piece with more meat on it...

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I'd have no problem trying zebra or koalas as long as there were no ethical issues (and there probably are).
Koalas are protected.

The Koala – Endangered or Not?​

The Official Status of the Koala​

Status-01_1.jpg

"In April 2012, the Australian Government declared the Koala as ‘VULNERABLE” under the Federal EPBC Act in New South Wales, the Act and Queensland. Victoria and South Australia were excluded from the listing. The AKF believes that the Koala should have been listed in all States. Research conducted by the AKF strongly suggests the Koala’s conservation status should be upgraded to “CRITICALLY ENDANGERED” in the South East Queensland Bioregion as the Queensland Minister for the Environment has declared them to be “functionally extinct”.

Koalas are in serious decline suffering from the effects of habitat destruction, domestic dog attacks, bushfires and road accidents. The Australian Koala Foundation estimates that there are less than 100,000 Koalas left in the wild, possibly as few as 43,000. You can see how we determined those figures here."

More
https://www.savethekoala.com/about-koalas/the-koala-endangered-or-not/

Australian Koala Foundation
Koala Protection Act
https://www.savethekoala.com/our-work/koala-protection-act/

WWF
https://www.wwf.org.au/what-we-do/species/koala

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Ghoti Ichthus

In Colombia I was given chicken's feet more than once. It was poorly of me to refuse them, but that's what I did each and every time. It was supposed to be an honor for the recipient. I'd be honored to get a piece with more meat on it...

There was an advantage to being female in the Middle East. I never had to worry about being served the eyeball(s) :eek
(it/they're served to the honored male guest(s)).

I've known people who could eat raw onions like apples, but I can't do that :lol I do really enjoy them on sandwiches, pizza, hot dogs, burgers etc. Carrots I can eat raw or cooked, especially cooked with some sort of sweet sauce. I generally try my best to be less picky, but some things just don't apetize me. Salads are kind of depressing. I'll eat them, but I never crave them.

After cooking carrots, try tossing them with some fresh dill weed :smile
Do not cook the dill weed because it'll taste bitter with carrots.

I still have burning mouth syndrome, so still have a problem eating crisp raw veggies, especially ONIONS :frown I miss a nice fresh, organic salad with organic olive oil, organic red wine vinegar, and organic herbs in a refrigerator-cold glass bowl. Frosted is overkill/undesirable because the Romaine gets a little limp where it touches the frost :lol

Some things, like hamburgers, brats, etc., burnt ONIONS are good. Other things, like gyros, raw ONIONS are good. Some things, like Swedish meatballs, Swiss steak, or veal scallopini, ONIONS cooked in the dish, are good. The important thing is ONIONS :lol

I've had many kitchen disasters . . . and charcing disasters :eek

I remember as a teenager making a scratch birthday cake for my Mom and it got so stuck that the whole thing only came out of the pans in tiny pieces :cry

And adding too much milk to the mashed potatoes so I had to add a bunch of dry instant potatoes and almost boil to thicken, and they were still kind of soupy . . . on Thanksgiving! With non-family company :eek I was stationed in Germany at the time and we were an odd assortment of Americans trying to have a little piece of home :smile

Ghoti Ichthus

Well, I was just happily prepping my potatoes into the mixer as one does for a good whipping and at the turn of the dial the thing goes berserk on me, flinging mashed poo all over the stove at 80mph :sob Then it popped a fuse (nothing else was even running) and had to mash it by hand ....which make tatoes quite cold:(
Now I have a mess I have yet to clean up (I am eating while I calm down my anger).

Anyone want to share a recent kitchen mishap you have had so I don't feel like the only frustrated bonehead? :rolleyes3

Mashing in a double boiler prevents cold hand-mashed potatoes.
Baking them instead of boiling them before mashing also seems to help with temperature :smile

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
And adding too much milk to the mashed potatoes so I had to add a bunch of dry instant potatoes and almost boil to thicken, and they were still kind of soupy . . . on Thanksgiving! With non-family company :eek I was stationed in Germany at the time and we were an odd assortment of Americans trying to have a little piece of home

The first time I tried to cook instant mashed potatoes I did something similar, so I just kept adding more of the instant mashed potatoes until they turned out okay.

Myself and my 3 roommates were eating mashed potatoes for every meal for the next week because we ended up with so much left over. It turns out adding more mashed potato mix to the pot gives you more mashed potatoes

pixelpusher

The worst kitchen disaster I've had was once frying fish. I was heating the oil in the cast iron skillet, and went into the office "just for a second" to help my nephew get a game launched up on the computer. Maybe we had to connect the joystick or something. I was in there longer than I wanted to be, then I smelled the oil. I got back in the kitchen to thick smoke wafting off the oil, so I went to slide the pan off the burner, and at that instant, it burst into flame. A lot of flame. And SMOKE!

Well, I had the flour and sugar and stuff in the cabinet directly above the stove. Stupid place to store them, as I singed off my arm hairs getting them. Dumped a pound of sugar into the pan to smother it. I wound up with a burning pan of oil/sugar. Followed by flour. Still blazing, and now burning oil pushed out on the stove top.

Uncle was on point. I could not pick up the pan, it was too hot, he came blazing in there with a doubled up bath towel, grabbed the burning pan, I opened the back door and he flung it out into the yard. Saved the duplex, I'm sure. The apartment was filled with black smoke, we had to open all the windows and doors.

That was terrifying.

However if you asked my wife what my worst kitchen disaster was, she would claim the time I cooked her Brussels sprouts, which she inexplicably loves. I had a great idea, I peeled all the fresh Brussels sprouts to individual leaves, coated in olive oil and spices, and sheet pan roasted them to crispy chips. I thought they were awesome, she claimed I RUINED THEM! lol. I've never made them again. She'll get a box of frozen ones, nuke them with butter and S&P, and sit there and eat the whole bowl. She's weird, from California originally.

The other minor disaster was the first time I tried to blacken catfish. I put way too much cayenne pepper in the spice mix, and rolled that catfish in it like I was breading it to fry. I got the pan smoking hot (with just a tablespoon or so of oil), and when I dropped the fillets in there, that cayenne pepper vaporized and went airborne, like someone blew up a can of mace or bear spray, it ran us out of the house. The fish was delicious in the middle, but the crust was simply too hot to eat.

GotGrace

I've been wracking my brain trying to remember a catastrophe or two. I do remember trying to rotisserie duck. Most meat needs to be watched closely if it has lots of fat but usually there's a point where most of the fat has already dripped onto the flames. With Duck, the longer it was on the grill the more fat seemed to drip from it. Both times I tried duck it ended up burning to a crisp, so I gave up after the 2nd time.
WHAAAAAT? :eek: I’m going to tell my pets. What kind of car do you drive? They may want to do a fly by. Oh that’s awful roasting a duck. I go by every once in awhile and spit on Ducks Unlimited web page. I’ve seen the hunting Clothing that has their decal on it. Makes me feel powerful.
:girl

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
WHAAAAAT? :eek: I’m going to tell my pets. What kind of car do you drive? They may want to do a fly by. Oh that’s awful roasting a duck. I go by every once in awhile and spit on Ducks Unlimited web page. I’ve seen the hunting Clothing that has their decal on it. Makes me feel powerful.
:girl

Given my history, I wouldn't be able to tell you whether or not your pets would make good eating... :hehee My attempts were store bought though, they weren't my pets...

GotGrace

Given my history, I wouldn't be able to tell you whether or not your pets would make good eating... :hehee My attempts were store bought though, they weren't my pets...
Well I don’t feel bad that your two attempts at roasting did not turn out. My pets are out there having a quacking hissy fit after I told them about this. They are practicing at flying at different altitudes so they can get stronger to fly to Alaska and decorate your vehicle.