My standing mixer just went Ninja on me !!

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Well, I was just happily prepping my potatoes into the mixer as one does for a good whipping and at the turn of the dial the thing goes berserk on me, flinging mashed poo all over the stove at 80mph :sob Then it popped a fuse (nothing else was even running) and had to mash it by hand ....which make tatoes quite cold:(
Now I have a mess I have yet to clean up (I am eating while I calm down my anger).

Anyone want to share a recent kitchen mishap you have had so I don't feel like the only frustrated bonehead? :rolleyes3

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I've been wracking my brain trying to remember a catastrophe or two. I do remember trying to rotisserie duck. Most meat needs to be watched closely if it has lots of fat but usually there's a point where most of the fat has already dripped onto the flames. With Duck, the longer it was on the grill the more fat seemed to drip from it. Both times I tried duck it ended up burning to a crisp, so I gave up after the 2nd time.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I've been wracking my brain trying to remember a catastrophe or two. I do remember trying to rotisserie duck. Most meat needs to be watched closely if it has lots of fat but usually there's a point where most of the fat has already dripped onto the flames. With Duck, the longer it was on the grill the more fat seemed to drip from it. Both times I tried duck it ended up burning to a crisp, so I gave up after the 2nd time.
I have never been able to try duck. :frown I don't know what it even tastes like!

athenasius

Amethyst I laughed out loud. And remember the time I had a pressure cooker valve blow-- it was potatoes. Left a nice round steam cleaned patch on the otherwise uniformly dirty kitchen ceiling of horrible popcorn paint. You know the stuff, impossible to clean, next to impossible to paint. Yeah. that.

I do duck breast, but on foil lined pans and I roast it. My mother in law boiled the excess fat out of hers then roasted it. I always have a smoking oven full of grease spatter when I do it so I do the self clean cycle after we do duck for dinner.

Oh and I open the windows and turn the super duper fan on turbo to suck the smoke out from cooking, then cleaning. I suspect my neighbours wish I'd quit with the duck already.

I have made messes and forgotten stuff is in the oven.

This very evening I nearly burnt the oven roasted zucchini that I was doing to accompany the steaks George was bbqing. The onions were beginning to go charred, not just nicely darkened.

I accomplished that blackened marvel because I was having too much fun writing about root veggies on the America is running out of everything thread.

seated with Christ

I had 'Mandarin Duck' at a Chinese Restaurant once it was very good.

Jonathan

I haven't had caviar, or snails, or brussel sprouts, or kimshi. I've never had rattlesnake, koala, or zebra.
Caviar is too expensive. Don't get me wrong, I am very intrigued, but from what I understand you really have to pay for the good stuff and even if I was rich I am not sure I could justify it .

Snails/Escargot is actually pretty good, but you kind of have to think about it like lobster in that: Lobster is, at the end of the day, an excuse to eat lots of butter. In that way, escargot is an excuse to eat lots of butter and garlic! It's texture is extremely chewy, but when prepared correctly, it really isn't as gross as it sounds. Also, unlike a lot of foods, you can buy quality escargot by the can from places like amazon. If you ever need a killer recipe, let me know.

Brussel sprouts, I've had. Never again. Even the smell makes me gag. Which is a shame, because I hear they are excellent for you.

I'd have no problem trying zebra or koalas as long as there were no ethical issues (and there probably are).

Rattlesnake... hmm... yea, I'd give it try. I was watching some video on a video service which shall not be named, showing a guy in the south west capture, kill, dress, and cook a full adult rattlesnake. It was almost unreal. Despite the fact he had removed the head and completely skinned it (it was basically a long tube of meat at this point, not dissimilar to a super long pork tenderloin but paler) what was left of the snake was still trashing about trying to... do something I guess. I now know why they say a dead snake can still bite and be dangerous.

Jonathan

I fed sea snails that I'd harvested off the east coast of Okinawa during a dive trip to a few aircrews... but I never tasted them myself... I grilled them and made sure everybody had some... (except for me). There are somethings I have no desire to experience. If I'm missing out, I'll never be the wiser.
More than fair enough. I am not sure if this will change anything, but escargot are land snails. Again, I am not sure how that changes anything. ;P

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
More than fair enough. I am not sure if this will change anything, but escargot are land snails. Again, I am not sure how that changes anything. ;P

Snails are snails, by my way of thinking. Where I grew up there were lots of snails. When you stepped on one it was so yucky. As I'd look at the mess, I never thought, "I wonder what that would taste like?"