My Sin Nature

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I am going through a deep valley and hurting so bad. My old sin nature is rearing his ugly head and drawing me back to old familiar *comforts* such as smoking and spending time fantasizing about *what ifs* and * if I had taken a different path*....thoughts that are good for nothing and sinful.

I never considered smoking sinful, but 3 years ago, Jesus delivered me from it.

It's not about the cigarettes or the thoughts, it's about trusting God and leaning on Him and letting Him give me comfort. I know joy comes from Him.

How can I beat my sin nature into submission? I pray and read the Bible. I am thinking of talking to my Pastor but I am not sure if I should speak to him or to a woman. I don't want to talk to his wife...she is too young and modern for me. Is one on one counseling ok for a Pastor and a woman??? I am in need.

@cheeky200386, your post Foresake gave me the courage to humble myself and make this post.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I am going through a deep valley and hurting so bad. My old sin nature is rearing his ugly head and drawing me back to old familiar *comforts* such as smoking and spending time fantasizing about *what ifs* and * if I had taken a different path*....thoughts that are good for nothing and sinful.

It's not about the cigarettes or the thoughts, it's about trusting God and leaning on Him and letting Him give me comfort. I know joy comes from Him.

How can I beat my sin nature into submission? I pray and read the Bible. I am thinking of talking to my Pastor but I am not sure if I should speak to him or to a woman. I don't want to talk to his wife...she is too young and modern for me. Is one on one counseling ok for a Pastor and a woman??? I am in need.

@cheeky200386, your post Foresake gave me the courage to humble myself and make this post.

Awww, JoyJoyJoy.... :hug I think you are on the right path in recognizing the symptoms vs the core challenge for yourself and I think you are wise in reaching out for guidance. :hug

What do you think about going to your Pastor with your husband or a friend?

If I may say, please know we all struggle with our sin natures and also attacks from the enemy (which might be a real possibility here based on what you're sharing). I can struggle with worrying. :sad And, for me, what I've done is to use my awareness of worrying as a jumping board to remind myself to instead pray, but pray along these lines,

"Lord I thank you that you are taking care of this 'problem' and that you are worthy to be trusted."

Just sharing my own struggles here to let you know you are not alone. And, do know you are loved here and loved by God. :hug

:pray ing for you! :)

:hug

cheeky200386

Praise the Lord that my post was used for something good. I literally hesitated to post it out of fear it would be blasphemous.

It really is a battle and I can hear your agony in your post. I just got through an intense spiritual battle last month. It was scary as I got to the place of thinking death would be easier while also knowing I would not want suicide. I was just so tired of feeling miserable every day for weeks on end. I felt a darkness and I actually sought out depressing stories of others struggling. I wasn't interested in reading the Bible or prayer during that time.

Praise God that we have the Holy Spirit inside of us. He kept bringing up verses to my mind and it was when I finally realized this was spiritual. I cried out to God, prayed for his help. I immediately felt a weight off of my shoulders and haven't had any dark thoughts since. Thoughts of regrets and what could have been were plaguing me.

I'm curious why this has come back so strongly. I know for me, I just learned I was pregnant and Mike was getting into reading the Bible. My iron levels were low and I was struggling to get out of bed every day. It just seems like I was vulnerable for it and let my guard down. I spoke to my husband about it afterwards and he admitted he was starting to doubt if Jesus was real because of how bad I was acting towards him.

Besetting sins can be so difficult to overcome. Mine is anger/temper. I hate it and yet I fall into the temptation to swear or be rude when stressed or angry. It hurts my witness and really sucks. God gives me victories when I'm in his Word a lot and in prayer. These are things I've struggled to be consistent with on and off since being born again 6 years. Now more so, with a toddler and work. Not an excuse at all, just the fact that I don't always prioritize the Lord in my day.

Idk if any of this is helpful but taking inventory on my walk and looking at what could be at stake has often helped me see why a spiritual attack could be happening or what part of my life has a weak point. God has always been there during difficult times of temptations, reminding me to cry out to him.

It may be wise to meet with your Pastor for more one on one support. I'll keep you in prayer too!

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Praise God that we have the Holy Spirit inside of us. He kept bringing up verses to my mind and it was when I finally realized this was spiritual. I cried out to God, prayed for his help. I immediately felt a weight off of my shoulders and haven't had any dark thoughts since. Thoughts of regrets and what could have been were plaguing me.

Praise God, indeed, cheeky! I'm so glad the H.S. was working, in the kind helpful way He does!

Yes, when we are not feeling 100% or have had a tough time, hungry, tired, sick, etc. we have an enemy who certainly will stike in attempt to draw us away from God. :sad

I've had very similar experiences cheeky. Just feeling heavy and struggling and then suddenly realizing, by God's grace this may be spiritual. And then praying.

JoyJoyJoy, we're :pray ing with you!

:pray

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
may say, please know we all struggle with our sin natures and also attacks from the enemy (which might be a real possibility here based on

I thank you all for prayers and support. I was nervous to share...would I be critized, shamed or told that my faith is lacking??

I have heard of enemy attacks but never really understood the meaning. I always figured life has ups and downs, good times and bad....sometimes very bad. I am accustomed to that. But you may be absolutely right...the evil one could be attacking.

The Lord giveth, He taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. That's been my thinking for years.

How do you know if it's an attack from the evil one? Is he seeking devour me?

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
was just so tired of feeling miserable every day for weeks on end
I spent 2 1/2 weeks laying on the couch. I just could not get up. I am ashamed to say there were times I couldn't bathe or change clothes for up to 3 days at a time.

I have gradually came back to life in the past few months. I am going places and cleaning my house and experiencing some joy. I may have some depression but it's not something a pill can cure. I am well acquainted with pill therapy and thankful for it. But this is my spirit and soul.

Last edited:

Mocha Latte

I thank you all for prayers and support. I was nervous to share...would I be critized, shamed or told that my faith is lacking??

I have heard of enemy attacks but never really understood the meaning. I always figured life has ups and downs, good times and bad....sometimes very bad. I am accustomed to that. But you may be absolutely right...the evil one could be attacking.

The Lord giveth, He taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord. That's been my thinking for years.

How do you know if it's an attack from the evil one? Is he seeking devour me?
Dear Joyjoyjoy (Missy, right?). You are precious in the Lord’s sight. I can’t help but wonder if, with the lateness of the hour, we are in some kind of testing/trial phase. Like sorting and sifting to see who really belongs to the Lord because so many are falling away. Or the enemy is doubling down because he knows the time is getting short. I am seeing so many people struggling, so many people under attack, and so much going on. I know there is always struggle in the world, but am I alone in thinking it has spiked right off the charts lately?

I felt moved to respond because I’ve been considering making my own post as well. I’m going through a divorce and have been in a pretty dark valley. I have been clinging to Jesus and praying a lot. There is a lot going on with my situation and I don’t want to make this about me, but the point being…please know you’re not alone in your struggles. The enemy pounces when we have weak valleys or hardships. It adds insult to injury, I know, but take a deep breath and know that the enemy is on a rampage and we are in the path. Center yourself on Jesus and take the time you need to take care of yourself. Remember that you’re the Lord’s precious child and the enemy hates us for it.

WaitingOnHim

Renewed In Christ

Praying for the Lord to cover and encourage you with His strength and surround you with His love.
We are all struggling with the sin in our lives, and despise the flesh we're currently stuck with.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
felt moved to respond because I’ve been considering making my own post
I was raised to suffer in silence...we didn't acknowledge problems publicly or even in private, usually. And we would NEVER ask for help. This is the first time I have ever had the courage to share and I have had so much comfort from this thread.

I have felt like so many posts and scriptures and articles on this forum in the past 2 weeks have been manna to my soul. Isn't it something how God can speak to you through the writings of others??

I am sorry you are in the valley also. Seems so many of us are struggling and while I don't wish hard times on anyone, it's comforting to know that you are not alone.

Just writing the opening post and getting it out helped me to think about it more clearly and rationally....I dont know if that would be of help to you. I pray for all of us because we all have heartaches at times.

Mocha Latte

I was raised to suffer in silence...we didn't acknowledge problems publicly or even in private, usually. And we would NEVER ask for help. This is the first time I have ever had the courage to share and I have had so much comfort from this thread.

I have felt like so many posts and scriptures and articles on this forum in the past 2 weeks have been manna to my soul. Isn't it something how God can speak to you through the writings of others??

I am sorry you are in the valley also. Seems so many of us are struggling and while I don't wish hard times on anyone, it's comforting to know that you are not alone.

Just writing the opening post and getting it out helped me to think about it more clearly and rationally....I dont know if that would be of help to you. I pray for all of us because we all have heartaches at times.
Yes, I hear what you’re saying and completely understand. Let’s pray for each other!

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I beg you all not to tell me that smoking is dirty, nasty, stinky, unhealthy, etc...I know all this. It was my crutch for years and it's a familiar comfort. I just got to get past it again.
My mom was a smoker (she quit 10 years ago) and brought me up in the belief of the gospel all while being a smoker
So while of course it’s a symptom of rebellion against God in some form, it doesn’t mean you don’t love the Lord.
I smoked off and on as late teen:early 20s and the old RR board if anyone remembers Mary, she was instrumental in praying for me to be broken from my addiction! She had a “quit smoking” thread that many members used to post in.
Smoking is easy to fall back into when you have the mentality that “I’ll just have one.”
Our bodies have a nicotine memory and get addicted all over again.

daygo

My mom was a smoker (she quit 10 years ago) and brought me up in the belief of the gospel all while being a smoker
So while of course it’s a symptom of rebellion against God in some form, it doesn’t mean you don’t love the Lord.
I smoked off and on as late teen:early 20s and the old RR board if anyone remembers Mary, she was instrumental in praying for me to be broken from my addiction! She had a “quit smoking” thread that many members used to post in.
Smoking is easy to fall back into when you have the mentality that “I’ll just have one.”
Our bodies have a nicotine memory and get addicted all over again.
Same as drinking, oh ill have one won't hurt.

TheRedeemed

I have been a smoker all my adult life, save for a few later aborted attempts at giving it up down the years. These days I have one of those vapes and alternate between that and the real things.

Of course it's not a good thing, but as you probably also know, they (cigarettes) are very, very addictive. Some people have said in the past that nicotine is more addictive than crack cocaine! That being the case, is it any wonder we struggle to let go completely.

Like an alcoholic or drug addict, we can stay away for long periods and all it takes is one drink or shoot up for them to be back on the wagon, it's the exact same for those of us who smoke..

So we need to recognise that about ourselves and say this to folks to inform people who have never smoked before, just how much of a struggle it all is.

Turning to God, he knows our struggles, but also knows our hearts. I know He doesn't want any of us to be addicted to anything other than Him, and with His help we can truly give up.

The urge to have a smoke will always be there.

I know folks who gave up 20 or 30 years ago who admit that they could take a cigarette right now, but they know the consequences of doing so.

I'm sure God knows that some of us will struggle with one sin or another, and until we're with Him permanently there is always a risk that we will falter, slip and fall on our journey in the flesh.

I do pray for you (and myself) that we can 'pack it in' as they say and never light another cigarette or puff another vape in our lives.

:pray

Wally

Choose your words carefully...
whether a substance addiction or some enzyme generating pleasure addiction:

I pray this helps:

Part 1. There is a chemical that hooks onto your body. Sometimes medication helps, sometimes transference is needed [ disassociating pleasure with the stuff and connecting it to something unpleasant] or you need a replacement that is not manipulative. I suspect you have already utilized some of these things or have plenty of other tools to use.
One of the best tools is getting a friend to help. I'm Praying for you right now.

Part 2. The mind game. This is the more powerful problem. And our adversary knows how to play this perfectly. There are times that I get angry or whiney with God for allowing these barbs. But His chiding is welcome as I am reminded I need to work on this.

But sometimes I judge God. Its not fair. I'm trying but it doesn't work. Take this thorn from me... remember that one?

There are times I get frustrated and echo the clay: "Why have you formed me thus?"
And you get so tired of fighting, you try to imagine something better. "Whatsoever things are plesant ... "

There is a natural desire to improve your lot. But at what cost? Our own hard work and endeavors? That's ok, IF we are surrendering to God the results.
But sometimes we push the envelope. We take from others, we take from God and demand the result we expect, and if it doesn't happen...

We deserve better, we deserve ....

That is the place in the mind to take right to the feet of Christ.
To truly understand what we deserve.
And to grasp God's mercy in NOT giving it to us.

But don't stop in some pathetic self punishing stupor. That is where many crumble, all because they stop their ears, shut their eyes in a pity party and ignore the 3rd Part.

God Loves you. Deeply. That is why Christ came. To take what we deserve and give us so much more.

When we imagine God's Love we will struggle if it is not built on what we READ of God's love.
Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. Grasp that, hold on to it. Now meditate on it.

Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes it is sudden, but we will see all that yuck that clings to us and become disgusted with it.
We will submit to His washing willingly and rejoice in what He does.
We'll stop trying to drag the chains of our old self and leave them behind.

Its a daily thing to do. It takes a lifetime. We need to be patient with God as well as ourselves.

When the dreams and imaginations come back, we will be strengthened and go through the cycle again, until He is finished with His work in us.

Keep remembering:
Jesus Loves me This I Know. For the Bible tells me so. And so we believe and face another day.

Praying for all Brothers and Sisters in Christ.
These days seem so much more difficult, but I doubt we feel much different than any of those who have gone before us.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I was raised to suffer in silence...we didn't acknowledge problems publicly or even in private, usually. And we would NEVER ask for help. This is the first time I have ever had the courage to share and I have had so much comfort from this thread

I'm SO glad you've been comforted as a result of bravely sharing!

What you described above is how our enemy likes to trap people in unhealthy responses to difficulties in our lives. That in turn snowballs into unhealthy coping mechanisms that further hurt us.

But God's Word teaches a spiritual healthy response. Below is Godly advice about bringing darkness to the light. I'm not posting this to say that you are ungodly....quite the opposite, your faith in Christ is Godliness ( or what opens up to you God's righteousness, and then we grow in Godliness), but rather to show the principle that bringing this to the light is a first step towards healing. The world hides, suppresses, is silent and private. But the way of God is the opposite:

Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, expose them. It is shameful even to talk about the things that ungodly people do in secret. But their evil intentions will be exposed when the light shines on them, for the light makes everything visible. This is why it is said,

“Awake, O sleeper,
rise up from the dead,

and Christ will give you light.”

Ephesians 5:11-14

And, as the body of the church, we are to share each other's burdens:

Share each other’s burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. 3 If you think you are too important to help someone, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important.

Galations 6:2-3

And then pray for one another:

Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. Elijah was as human as we are, and yet when he prayed earnestly that no rain would fall, none fell for three and a half years!

James 5:16-17

I'm just laying these passages out to show how God's Word teaches the opposite of what the World advocates, even our own families. God's Word promotes spiritual and relational health with God and with one another. :nod.

Last edited: