My Lost Sheep sermon needs a hymn, but which?

Len

Hi Folks,
I was asked to fill in for a speaker at church but at 69yo was not keen as this will be my very first "sermon" though I have given a testimony and do small 3 minute devotions at odd times, I was feeling quite anxious and stressed about doing this for many reasons, (in fact due to the stress I got close to not going back to church at all, ever). My wife thinks its message is okay, but I am not too sure that it flows very well or that people may not be able to follow me ............ I would like some covering prayer if you are feel led to it ........... I was wondering what hymn I could use for this, we use Believers and Mission Praise books, so a suggestion there would be also appreciated thanks...... sermon of approx 4 x A4pages. Thank you for taking the time to read through it.

### found a hymn to use duh! was in the believers hymn book called "Jesus our shepherd", I do not know it myself, hoping my church does LOL ###

Reading: Luke 15:1-7 KJV

15:V1 Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.

These publicans were actually tax collectors (not hoteliers as I used to think) and they were so distrusted by many that they were prohibited from testifying in a court of law. Banks disdained their business, and even their charitable gifts generally were refused, as they operated in collusion with their pagan superiors and so were considered to be traitors and extortionists by many. They frequently had contact with Gentiles and so were also considered unclean by the Pharisees.

These sinners were just common people, a lot of these here were seen as riff raff, street people, drinkers, brawlers, prostitutes, Jews who did not keep the Mosaic Law like the perfect Pharisees and were just living life as they pleased with no religious restraints whatsoever it was these people that drew near to Jesus while drawing the displeasure of these self proclaimed holy ones..… but what drew them to Jesus? Jesus was not like these religious leaders of the day Jesus got to know and talk with the downtrodden, the workers and societies outcasts he indeed was known as a friend of publicans and sinners Matthew 11:19 and in the gospels we see Jesus actively seeking tax collectors there was Matthew Matthew 9:9 ,to whom he said follow me, and the account of Zacchaeus up a tree in Luke 19:2…

Jesus spoke with authority Mt 7:29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. this gave those listening a confidence in his messages of hope. These sinners recognised Jesus as a righteous man, a man sent from God proved to them by the miracles he performed which in turn bore the authority to those things he taught on repentance as he said in Luke 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

V2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.

The word murmured here means “moved with envy” but in that envy the Pharisees are giving Jesus the very honour he deserved because we know He is indeed a friend to sinners, the root word for “sinners”means to miss the mark, and that is exactly what the envious Pharisees thought of those low lifes thronging around Jesus and If they could find no fault in Jesus personally, at least they could easily find it in those he was associating with, but the truth is these pharisees who held themselves up to be far above the common class of sinners, this was Pride in their own abilities and self righteousness!

They just did not see themselves as sinners, in their eyes they were God honouring religious men, tithing, doing good works and fasting twice a week!

Do you remember the Pharisee in Luke 18:11 “The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.” .... this pharisee prayed thus with himself?

I read this as no one else was listening to the prayer specially not God as the pharisee did not have a righteous relationship with God , interestingly the publican is seen as justified in this story, admitting his own sin’s before God, this is a contrite heart, a heart that God sees, and is pleased with.

V3 And he spake this parable unto them, saying,
V4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

Jesus invites ALL His listeners to place themselves into the story with, “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep.”

The shepherd left the flock of 99 in the wilderness to go and search for a single sheep, being a herd animal that sheep would be lonely and without the comfort of the other sheep lost in the wilderness, at the mercy of all sorts of perilous situations dangerous beasts such as wolves or lions, the shepherd knew that and the loss of one sheep out of his care was more than he could bare, these sheep were valuable to him, they were His wealth, his daily family substitute even, he knew each one by sight and they each knew him.

I was a shepherd for about a year looking after about 20 sheep within Pentridge prison, I assisted in a cesarean birth of a male lamb and I personally raised that little ram feeding it every four hours it knew my voice and would come to me …as I cared for all those sheep by shearing them (what a job), and if they got caught up in some wire I could untangle them or got foot rot I helped them by scrapping the hoof or bathing it in a solution, they all trusted me and responded to my voice and presence coming closer not running away or scattering as with others.

Some see this story of the lost sheep as representing the unsaved sinner and some see it as a back slidden christian I suggest that both are separated from God’s chosen path and quite possibly on the road to eventual ruin unless returned to Gods fold..… though for one there is an eternal world of pain, darkness and gnashing of teeth in their future.

When a sheep is lost, does the sheep know it’s lost? Does the sheep come back saying “Oops, I’m sorry, I got lost?” NO! That sheep stays lost until it is found usually bleating its head off trying to find its flock, and from what I know of lost sheep it is without any sense of direction, a dog or pigeon may come home but not a sheep ..... and especially if the grass is plentiful ……. so what of lost human sheep in this world?

Our giant world is one that Christians know is chock full of distracting paddocks for the unsaved there is drugs and alcohol, entertainment from HELLYwood, gods of sport and a veritable smorgasbord of spiritual distraction, paddocks like Buddhism, Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses and Spiritualism, There’s star signs of the zodiac so much out there keeping people with their heads down grazing getting more lost more distracted by each step ……

And satan has even the christian wandering about in religious activities or following sidetracks or outright untruths like the prosperity gospel with the “name it and claim it” crow like the NAR groups (new apostolic reformation or side tracked heads down grazing in a works paddock, you know going to church, giving money, involved with youth group, it can be pride in doing works to be seen, just like our pharisees really .... satan can have us busy filling our lives with what he knows will take our fancy and take our minds off the ever further wandering path and its approaching dangers

Jesus is constantly looking to save the lost sheep; and this concern of the Lord's; even for a single lost person speaks volumes of his wonderful love to us and I am sure we can all say “especially me”, thank you Lord Jesus

Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; ……

so easily can we turn aside and stray from our shepherd and our flock

this story in Luke of a lost sheep stands true for countless millions of people each one of them of immense value to God, each worth more than many sparrows .... and just as the shepherd in this story left the fold and the ninety and nine to seek that one lost sheep, Jesus left heaven and came looking for you and me.

For the lost it is often in the bleakest and worst of circumstances, when they can no longer stand up under the pressure of life that they find themselves grovelling on the floor beaten, trodden down and sidetracked by satan, wondering how did I get to this point ..... so busy filling their life with distractions they didn't see the danger.

From personal experience: the bottom line for me was I doubted my original conversion as genuine, something I still struggle with to this day.

It wont surprise you to know that I wandered from the fold with no church, no fellowship, no prayer, or reading the bible and one day during this period of returning to the cesspool the good shepherd had already saved me out of, I was at home pretty befuddled by drugs I went to light a stick of incense and without thinking I put it in my mouth incense to hold while I looked for a match to light it ...... YUK I got so ill as it dissolved in my mouth that it forced me to go lie on my bed, on the way into the bedroom I noticed a bible next to the bed and I faced away from it feeling God is there ....... but laying there I felt God was watching me and I struggled with my guilty thoughts when eventually I literally screamed these words out at God

You know the answer God but what is the question!” .....

AM I SAVED! WAS THE UNSPOKEN QUESTION …… my question was filled with fear and doubts, fear of hell and judgement I knew the gospel message, but perhaps I was that guy in the seeds on stony ground story …… with that question voiced at God I was compelled and reached around grabbed that bible and it fell open and my eyes saw only these words .....

But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. Isaiah 43 v1

Can you hear the shepherds voice in those words answering my question ….

I believe the good shepherd heard my bleating and called out to try to reposition me back into His paddock and his flock

V5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

We do not know how much trouble the shepherd in this story went to in finding this lost sheep, forging rivers, climbing steep hills with his own sweat filling and stinging his eyes, perhaps he stubbed his toes in those old sandals he had on, but it was all forgotten when he laid this lost sheep upon his shoulders …….. but you and I know what our Lord Jesus Christ suffered in his journey to find his lost sheep, we have just spent some time this morning thinking about it and rejoicing that he found us.

V6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
V7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

The Bible mentions a number of one time events that instigated the angels to rejoice and praise God, for instance in Job 38:7 referring to Gen 1:3 when God said, “Let there be light,” and the Earth came to life. Saying while the morning stars sang together ...

when the Lord Jesus was born, Luke 2:13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God ……..

and the arrival of the Church in Heaven Revelation 5:11 … Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne,

now with a lost sheep such as in our Luke 15:7 message those angels get plenty of practice shouting, because this event repeats itself every time someone comes to the Lord, it is not a one time event.

So I reckon in Gods sight finding a single lost sheep ranks right up there with not only creating the world but saving it. (as in saviours birth, and the church from the world)

So whether we are a lost sheep of a different fold or one that has wandered from Gods fold, we need to check the path we are on and whatever we are doing that is wrong in Gods sight needs to stop, ask God to forgive, cleanse and restore us as in 1 Jn 1:9 .... and start following the shepherd

Remember the Pharisees in their pride refused to see themselves as “sinners” before God, it was their own righteousness and good deeds made them right before God and got them into heaven

Romans 3:10 “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:”
Romans 3:23 says “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

We need Jesus’s righteousness not our own, Jesus has done the only work acceptable to God as ALL our works to appease God are as worthless rags in His sight when it comes to righteousness

Matthew 18:11 “For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.”

And for believers when people or the struggles of life threaten to pull us down, we know we have a caring and watchful shepherd who will come seek us, Ezekiel 34:11–12 “For this is what the Sovereign says: I myself will search for my sheep . . . . I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered”

Jesus said in John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

Jesus is our shepherd ….. PAUSE ….. so dear friend let us bleat out to him in prayer, listen for your shepherds voice as you read your bible, wait patiently and he will lift you upon His shoulders and take you in the way you should go.

If time give encouragement to wittness – using moral law ect , boat analogy putting trust in the boat????

Last edited:

athenasius

Hi Folks,
I was asked to fill in for a speaker at church but at 69yo was not keen as this will be my very first "sermon" though I have given a testimony and do small 3 minute devotions at odd times, I was feeling quite anxious and stressed about doing this for many reasons, (in fact due to the stress I got close to not going back to church at all, ever). My wife thinks its message is okay, but I am not too sure that it flows very well or that people may not be able to follow me ............ I would like some covering prayer if you are feel led to it ........... I was wondering what hymn I could use for this, we use Believers and Mission Praise books, so a suggestion there would be also appreciated thanks...... sermon of approx 4 x A4pages. Thank you for taking the time to read through it.

### found a hymn to use duh! was in the believers hymn book called "Jesus our shepherd", I do not know it myself, hoping my church does LOL ###

Reading: Luke 15:1-7 KJV

15:V1 Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.

These publicans were actually tax collectors (not hoteliers as I used to think) and they were so distrusted by many that they were prohibited from testifying in a court of law. Banks disdained their business, and even their charitable gifts generally were refused, as they operated in collusion with their pagan superiors and so were considered to be traitors and extortionists by many. They frequently had contact with Gentiles and so were also considered unclean by the Pharisees.

These sinners were just common people, a lot of these here were seen as riff raff, street people, drinkers, brawlers, prostitutes, Jews who did not keep the Mosaic Law like the perfect Pharisees and were just living life as they pleased with no religious restraints whatsoever it was these people that drew near to Jesus while drawing the displeasure of these self proclaimed holy ones..… but what drew them to Jesus? Jesus was not like these religious leaders of the day Jesus got to know and talk with the downtrodden, the workers and societies outcasts he indeed was known as a friend of publicans and sinners Matthew 11:19 and in the gospels we see Jesus actively seeking tax collectors there was Matthew Matthew 9:9 ,to whom he said follow me, and the account of Zacchaeus up a tree in Luke 19:2…

Jesus spoke with authority Mt 7:29 For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes. this gave those listening a confidence in his messages of hope. These sinners recognised Jesus as a righteous man, a man sent from God proved to them by the miracles he performed which in turn bore the authority to those things he taught on repentance as he said in Luke 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

V2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.

The word murmured here means “moved with envy” but in that envy the Pharisees are giving Jesus the very honour he deserved because we know He is indeed a friend to sinners, the root word for “sinners”means to miss the mark, and that is exactly what the envious Pharisees thought of those low lifes thronging around Jesus and If they could find no fault in Jesus personally, at least they could easily find it in those he was associating with, but the truth is these pharisees who held themselves up to be far above the common class of sinners, this was Pride in their own abilities and self righteousness!

They just did not see themselves as sinners, in their eyes they were God honouring religious men, tithing, doing good works and fasting twice a week!

Do you remember the Pharisee in Luke 18:11 “The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.” .... this pharisee prayed thus with himself?

I read this as no one else was listening to the prayer specially not God as the pharisee did not have a righteous relationship with God , interestingly the publican is seen as justified in this story, admitting his own sin’s before God, this is a contrite heart, a heart that God sees, and is pleased with.

V3 And he spake this parable unto them, saying,
V4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

Jesus invites ALL His listeners to place themselves into the story with, “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep.”

The shepherd left the flock of 99 in the wilderness to go and search for a single sheep, being a herd animal that sheep would be lonely and without the comfort of the other sheep lost in the wilderness, at the mercy of all sorts of perilous situations dangerous beasts such as wolves or lions, the shepherd knew that and the loss of one sheep out of his care was more than he could bare, these sheep were valuable to him, they were His wealth, his daily family substitute even, he knew each one by sight and they each knew him.

I was a shepherd for about a year looking after about 20 sheep within Pentridge prison, I assisted in a cesarean birth of a male lamb and I personally raised that little ram feeding it every four hours it knew my voice and would come to me …as I cared for all those sheep by shearing them (what a job), and if they got caught up in some wire I could untangle them or got foot rot I helped them by scrapping the hoof or bathing it in a solution, they all trusted me and responded to my voice and presence coming closer not running away or scattering as with others.

Some see this story of the lost sheep as representing the unsaved sinner and some see it as a back slidden christian I suggest that both are separated from God’s chosen path and quite possibly on the road to eventual ruin unless returned to Gods fold..… though for one there is an eternal world of pain, darkness and gnashing of teeth in their future.

When a sheep is lost, does the sheep know it’s lost? Does the sheep come back saying “Oops, I’m sorry, I got lost?” NO! That sheep stays lost until it is found usually bleating its head off trying to find its flock, and from what I know of lost sheep it is without any sense of direction, a dog or pigeon may come home but not a sheep ..... and especially if the grass is plentiful ……. so what of lost human sheep in this world?

Our giant world is one that Christians know is chock full of distracting paddocks for the unsaved there is drugs and alcohol, entertainment from HELLYwood, gods of sport and a veritable smorgasbord of spiritual distraction, paddocks like Buddhism, Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses and Spiritualism, There’s star signs of the zodiac so much out there keeping people with their heads down grazing getting more lost more distracted by each step ……

And satan has even the christian wandering about in religious activities or following sidetracks or outright untruths like the prosperity gospel with the “name it and claim it” crow like the NAR groups (new apostolic reformation or side tracked heads down grazing in a works paddock, you know going to church, giving money, involved with youth group, it can be pride in doing works to be seen, just like our pharisees really .... satan can have us busy filling our lives with what he knows will take our fancy and take our minds off the ever further wandering path and its approaching dangers

Jesus is constantly looking to save the lost sheep; and this concern of the Lord's; even for a single lost person speaks volumes of his wonderful love to us and I am sure we can all say “especially me”, thank you Lord Jesus

Isaiah 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; ……

so easily can we turn aside and stray from our shepherd and our flock

this story in Luke of a lost sheep stands true for countless millions of people each one of them of immense value to God, each worth more than many sparrows .... and just as the shepherd in this story left the fold and the ninety and nine to seek that one lost sheep, Jesus left heaven and came looking for you and me.

For the lost it is often in the bleakest and worst of circumstances, when they can no longer stand up under the pressure of life that they find themselves grovelling on the floor beaten, trodden down and sidetracked by satan, wondering how did I get to this point ..... so busy filling their life with distractions they didn't see the danger.

From personal experience: the bottom line for me was I doubted my original conversion as genuine, something I still struggle with to this day.

It wont surprise you to know that I wandered from the fold with no church, no fellowship, no prayer, or reading the bible and one day during this period of returning to the cesspool the good shepherd had already saved me out of, I was at home pretty befuddled by drugs I went to light a stick of incense and without thinking I put it in my mouth incense to hold while I looked for a match to light it ...... YUK I got so ill as it dissolved in my mouth that it forced me to go lie on my bed, on the way into the bedroom I noticed a bible next to the bed and I faced away from it feeling God is there ....... but laying there I felt God was watching me and I struggled with my guilty thoughts when eventually I literally screamed these words out at God

You know the answer God but what is the question!” .....

AM I SAVED! WAS THE UNSPOKEN QUESTION …… my question was filled with fear and doubts, fear of hell and judgement I knew the gospel message, but perhaps I was that guy in the seeds on stony ground story …… with that question voiced at God I was compelled and reached around grabbed that bible and it fell open and my eyes saw only these words .....

But now thus saith the Lord that created thee, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. Isaiah 43 v1

Can you hear the shepherds voice in those words answering my question ….

I believe the good shepherd heard my bleating and called out to try to reposition me back into His paddock and his flock

V5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

We do not know how much trouble the shepherd in this story went to in finding this lost sheep, forging rivers, climbing steep hills with his own sweat filling and stinging his eyes, perhaps he stubbed his toes in those old sandals he had on, but it was all forgotten when he laid this lost sheep upon his shoulders …….. but you and I know what our Lord Jesus Christ suffered in his journey to find his lost sheep, we have just spent some time this morning thinking about it and rejoicing that he found us.

V6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.
V7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

The Bible mentions a number of one time events that instigated the angels to rejoice and praise God, for instance in Job 38:7 referring to Gen 1:3 when God said, “Let there be light,” and the Earth came to life. Saying while the morning stars sang together ...

when the Lord Jesus was born, Luke 2:13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God ……..

and the arrival of the Church in Heaven Revelation 5:11 … Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne,

now with a lost sheep such as in our Luke 15:7 message those angels get plenty of practice shouting, because this event repeats itself every time someone comes to the Lord, it is not a one time event.

So I reckon in Gods sight finding a single lost sheep ranks right up there with not only creating the world but saving it. (as in saviours birth, and the church from the world)

So whether we are a lost sheep of a different fold or one that has wandered from Gods fold, we need to check the path we are on and whatever we are doing that is wrong in Gods sight needs to stop, ask God to forgive, cleanse and restore us as in 1 Jn 1:9 .... and start following the shepherd

Remember the Pharisees in their pride refused to see themselves as “sinners” before God, it was their own righteousness and good deeds made them right before God and got them into heaven

Romans 3:10 “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:”
Romans 3:23 says “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”

We need Jesus’s righteousness not our own, Jesus has done the only work acceptable to God as ALL our works to appease God are as worthless rags in His sight when it comes to righteousness

Matthew 18:11 “For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.”

And for believers when people or the struggles of life threaten to pull us down, we know we have a caring and watchful shepherd who will come seek us, Ezekiel 34:11–12 “For this is what the Sovereign says: I myself will search for my sheep . . . . I will rescue them from all the places where they were scattered”

Jesus said in John 10:11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

Jesus is our shepherd ….. PAUSE ….. so dear friend let us bleat out to him in prayer, listen for your shepherds voice as you read your bible, wait patiently and he will lift you upon His shoulders and take you in the way you should go.

If time give encouragement to wittness – using moral law ect , boat analogy putting trust in the boat????

Len i'm late to this thread, I hope it went well, as I'm sure it did. Blessings on you for being faithful and doing stuff like this.

Len

I hope it went well, as I'm sure it did. Blessings on you for being faithful and doing stuff like this.
Many thanks for your kindness athenasius, I didn't get much feedback and I could not remember giving this sermon much at all (too nervous), but afterward I had one of our more senior ladies come up to me with teas in her eyes for her "lost" family and thanking me .......... so I felt the message was for her encouragement, and I hope that is so, also gives me some prayer points for her and her children.

athenasius

Many thanks for your kindness athenasius, I didn't get much feedback and I could not remember giving this sermon much at all (too nervous), but afterward I had one of our more senior ladies come up to me with teas in her eyes for her "lost" family and thanking me .......... so I felt the message was for her encouragement, and I hope that is so, also gives me some prayer points for her and her children.
I'm sure this will go deep, and it's so important to keep encouraging each other as the time gets closer and closer.