My Life With God

Rain

Hello all. :)

When I was a kid around 8yo, my family, like many other families, dragged me to church because they felt it was the right thing to do. Like any other typical kid, I would have much rather stayed home and played Atari. Had no interest in church at all. It was a Baptist church in case you were wondering. I must admit that Sunday School was cool, because our teacher used ventriloquism with a charismatic puppet named Bernie to teach. I'm now 43yo, and looking back, her approach to teaching was absolutely brilliant.

Things went on like this for me until I was around 12yo, and my parents stopped going. I wasn't complaining at all. I lived in a quiet and safe neighborhood and went to a good school. When I turned 14yo I was relocated to a Jr. High uptown. This scared me to death, because many of the students came from broken homes and parents who didn't care about them. They were forced to grow up way too fast. I was a wimp and came from a good home. They were much tougher than me. My first day there, I thought I was going to throw up from my nerves. Worried sick about being bullied and God knows what else.

Sure enough, I was right. There were a couple of students that picked on me for reasons that at the time I didn't understand. My parents had money and clothed me with $80 sneakers, $50 jeans and other nice stuff. These kids that picked on me because I had things they wished they had. I never knew just how good I had it. I showed no appreciation for what I had. I never did without anything. I had no idea what it felt like to want things that any kid my age would want and be denied by parents who would sooner spend their money on liquor and dope than buy their kids nice things. I soon learned that most of these kids were genuinely good. They just had lousy parents.

After my first year there, I began to realize that most of these kids would soon become friends. Friends who liked me for who I had become. By the way they treated me from the get go it was like they were educating me without my knowing. I soon became a more compassionate kid. I began to gain an understanding of how everyone isn't as fortunate as I was. Of how many others were more fortunate than me. This was a tough lesson to learn, but I thank God every day for it. It was towards the end of my years at that school that I was made aware of a local chess club further in town. I always liked the game so I decided to check it out. It was pretty cool, and I soon became obsessed with the game. I pretty much spent all of my time there, and stopped hanging out with the other students from school. We eventually just drifted apart. It was at that point my life took a huge turn in a bad way.

I began hanging out with the wrong crowd and soon began drinking and hanging out until midnight then walking home. My parents of course, were very concerned and tried to stop me, but there was no stopping me. I would sneak out at night, do anything I could to get drunk and hang out with people who I thought were my friends. I soon began doing drugs and stealing to pay for my addiction. I was a freight train in my own mind. Unstoppable. It was at this point that I believe God decided to derail me and my cocky attitude. He completely knocked me on my ass without any playing around. I was arrested one day because I was drunk and disorderly at like 10am in our local park. The cop brought me into my mother's place of work as I was underage. I'm sure that any of you who are reading this can imagine what I was in for when I was sent home and she returned home from work later that evening.

This kind of behavior went on for a few years until I started going to high school. Believe it or not, I rarely drank at all during that time in my life. I smoked pot like Cheech & Chong, but never really drank. Still boggles my mind to this day. Things were going pretty good, but slowly, I began having very disturbing thoughts. Very violent and shocking in nature. Understandably, my parents and doctor blamed it on the weed and sent me to rehab. After a month+ I was released and sent home. Nothing changed. I told the doctor that these thoughts were not going away, but he was adamant in his belief that it was drug related. What the hell was I supposed to do!? Not only were parents worried sick, I saw no way out of this. I became bitter and started blaming God for picking on me and not others in the same boat. I blamed Him for everything. Why couldn't he just leave me alone and stop getting on my back. I was in a dire situation of the greatest magnitude. I cut my wrist and screamed for mom and dad. In my mind by doing this, I was like telling God: "Here Father! Take this!"

My dad put me in the car and drove me to the hospital were they proceeded to admit me to the psych ward for a long while for evaluation. At that point, I just didn't care anymore. Why bother caring? One day my family doctor came to see me. As doped up as I was on meds I could see in his eyes that he genuinely concerned. I believe that it was at this point that he realized that all of this wasn't caused by drugs alone. I was later discharged with some typical meds for my type of illness, but only a limited supply. They didn't help much, they were more or less for anxiety. Tranqs. It was my family doctor that disagreed with those meds I got from the psychiatrist. They were just doping me up so bad I was pale and drooling all the time. That's no way to live. He prescribed me Risperdal and Prozac. I've been well ever since.

After some long thought I decided that I'd join the church and learn some things about life instead of just blaming God for giving me a hard time. You can imagine my surprise and thoughts when I was told the story of Job! As I began to learn more and began to pray more, I realized that God didn't have it out for me. How silly I felt. If He was, I'm sure it would have been unmistakable. At this point my outlook on organized religion began to develop. I was brought to a baptist church as a kid but never baptized. I began to look at other religions such as Mormonism, Catholicism, and other various belief systems. I was baptized a Mormon. They were wonderful people and treated me well, but soon after joining I began to question the Book of Mormon and it's teachings. It was my conclusion that the Holy Bible contained everything we needed to know from God. When I decided to leave the church, a couple of elders suggested that I avoid the Catholic church as they are trying put Mary above Christ. I didn't really know how to respond to that.

I told my aunt and uncle who are devout Catholics this and they told me not to listen to anything that Mormons say. Their book is an insult to God. We have two religions here bashing each other's beliefs! They both believe in Christ and God. Baptists too. In my mind, these religions should be in harmony like an orchestra. Well if they are, it's way out of tune. This isn't right I thought to myself. It was after much prayer and experience that I decided to be a believer in Christ, the Holy spirit and the Father. No set religion at all. Here I sit at 43yo a believer in the Holy Trinity. Not because a priest or elder told me to, but it's because it's what I believe in my heart to be what is right. I mean God has put up with me for 43 years so I must be doing something right I guess.

Assuming you all accept me you will soon see that I'm a genuine believer with good intentions and with tons of questions. I will be honest. I haven't read much of the Bible at all, and I'm not going to lie and say that I did. This brings to a point that makes me nervous. I don't believe or claim to be a prophet of any kind, nor do I feel worthy enough to receive such power from God, but from time to time I feel compelled to create artwork that is simply copying and pasting material that I find online until I feel that it's complete. It's very bizarre to some and others have stopped communicating with me accusing me of being a false prophet. I just put together what is in my mind. I DON'T consider myself a prophet at all, so I guess that you can all understand if I'm a little reluctant to share my work.

God Bless,
Rain

Last edited:

Rain

Hello yeshua'sbride :)

What I meant is that in all honesty, believers in God whether it is Catholics, Mormons or another faith should not be talking trash about another organization's chosen beliefs. It's wrong in my opinion, and offensive. I am a believer in Jesus, The Holy Spirit and the Father. If I were God I'd be a little ticked off hearing my children in the Catholic church insulting my children in the Mormon church for their method of worship. It's not right. Because of this, I choose not to belong to any given religion. Through prayer and my experience in life, I've come to believe in the way I do now.

I'm not trying to judge other believers, I simply disagree with them. God gave us free will to make choices in life whether He agrees with them or not. Look at terrorists. They do nothing but cause death and harm on a daily basis with absolutely no concern at all for the horror they cause for so many others. We all were given free will from God, even the jerks like ISIS get it too. Would I like to see God step in and crush them? Of course. But if He did that, wouldn't He be going back on the free will that He gave us? That would make Him a liar, and He never lies to us. It's my belief that ISIS will pay dearly for their actions when the time is right for God. We all are going to have to be accountable for everything we've said and done. There's a plethora of things I'm going to have to answer for, I know that. It's with this free will that I chose to believe in the way that I feel is right in my heart. Could you imagine a world without free will? A world where you are told when to eat, when to sleep, when to shower, what to say? That would be a global prison. No thanks.

Jesus is the Son of God and our Savior. To me He represents the unconditional love the Father has for us as His children even though none of us are perfect, but sometimes when I look at how horrendously dangerous and corrupt this world is becoming, I can't help but feel that Jesus is a little disappointed in all of us. He gave His life for us and this is how we conduct ourselves? Just doesn't seem right to me.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
So are you saying that ANY religion that believes in God is correct? In other words, if a person says they believe in God they are God's child? Thank you for your previous posts, Rain, but I still have questions about your beliefs that I am truly trying to resolve so I may properly understand you.

Rain

Hello sir. The admin coming after me. This is intimidating. Yikes.

Catholics believe in Jesus, The Holy Spirit and the Father right? Will so do Baptists and Mormons right? If I'm right, then
why would two elders from a Mormon church talk trash about Catholics saying that they are trying to make Mary bigger than Jesus? Why would my catholic aunt and uncle insult Mormons? All three of the above mentioned belief systems believe in and worship the same ultimate creator. They should all support each other. Just because I decided that The Book of Mormon wasn't for me doesn't mean they're wrong. What's important to me is my belief in God and His presence in my life. He loves me for who I am in my heart, not by whether or not my butt is planted in a Catholic church pew or a Mormon one. I apologize if I'm not making sense to you sir, but that is not a concern of mine. I will be a believer as long as I draw breath. If others can't figure it out or don't like it, well that's their given right.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
The admin coming after me. This is intimidating. Yikes.
No need for yikes, my friend. And no need to be intimidated by anyone here. We are all human beings created by God; and all who have placed their faith in Jesus Christ as the one way to God are equal brothers and sisters together. I just help keep things running smoothly here and try to help as best I can. I am no superior person in the least! My questions were promoted by my simply trying to understand what you believe.

If I am correct, you believe in one transcendent Supreme Being we call God who mysteriously consists of three persons who are revealed as the Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit. If that is correct (and please correct me if I am wrong) then the next logical question is do you understand the man versus God issue ... in other words how can a holy and pure God associate with unholy, impure people? Put another way, how can a God who MUST (by His very nature) destroy sin and sinners also forgive and redeem sinner's who (by His very nature) He loves?

Last edited:

billy swinea

RAIN I AM NOT A MAN IN ANY AUTHORITY. I JUST KNOW GOD JESUS AND THE HOLYSPIRIT LIKE YOU. I AM NEARLY BLIND SO I USE THE CAP LOCK.PLEASE LOOK UP ROMANS 3-10 IT TELL US THERE IS NO ONE RIGHTOUS. ROMANS 3-23 TELLS US THAT WE ARE SINNERS. ROMANS 6 -23 TELLS US WHAT THE PRICE FOR SIN IS DEATH THEN THE GOOD NEWS IT SAYS THERE IS A GIFT FROM GOD IT'S ETERNAL LIFE IN JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD!!! HOW DO WE GET THAT FREE GIFT? READ ROMANS 10 -9:10 SIMPLE EVEN A 67YR OLD MAN LIKE ME CAN UNDERSTAND

Rain

RAIN I AM NOT A MAN IN ANY AUTHORITY. I JUST KNOW GOD JESUS AND THE HOLYSPIRIT LIKE YOU. I AM NEARLY BLIND SO I USE THE CAP LOCK.PLEASE LOOK UP ROMANS 3-10 IT TELL US THERE IS NO ONE RIGHTOUS. ROMANS 3-23 TELLS US THAT WE ARE SINNERS. ROMANS 6 -23 TELLS US WHAT THE PRICE FOR SIN IS DEATH THEN THE GOOD NEWS IT SAYS THERE IS A GIFT FROM GOD IT'S ETERNAL LIFE IN JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD!!! HOW DO WE GET THAT FREE GIFT? READ ROMANS 10 -9:10 SIMPLE EVEN A 67YR OLD MAN LIKE ME CAN UNDERSTAND
WILL DO :)

yeshua'sbride

♥ Standing with Israel
Hallelujah, billy! You're so right, it's so simple! Thank You Jesus!

Rain, there's no other way, nothing else needed. Just grace through faith. Any religion or belief system that denies the sufficiency of Jesus' death on the cross as full payment for our sins is the wrong way and we should not support them in their error.

:praying the Lord will shed His light on the scriptures in billy's post #12 for you as you read them. :)

Andy C

Rain - Stick with reading the Bible on a daily basis and learn for yourself what His Word says. Then, and only then, will you be able to tell what is True, and what is false. There are many “Religions” out there that are hoping you wont learn what is written in the bible. They need you to be uniformed of His written Word so you can follow the herd in their many false teachings.

Stick with The Word of God and He wont ever lead you astray.

billy swinea

BROTHER RAIN I HAVE 5 BIBLES I USE THE OLD KJV CAUSE I'M OLD BUT I ALSO ENJOY THE NEW KJV. IT DOESN'T HAVE THE THES AND THOUS. I PRAY A LOT AND READ THE WORD YOU MITE TRY THE BOOK OF JOHN I LIKE IT BECAUSE JOHN WAS WITH JESUS AND I LOVE THE RED LETTERS THAT ARE JESUS WORDS. ALL THE PEOPLE HERE WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU IN ANY THAT WE CAN. WE HAVE A LOT OF LOVE ON THIS SITE. LOVE YOU IN JESUS CHRIST Billy

greg64

Rain,

I think Billy nailed it. If you follow his suggestion, you'll start to see (if you don't already) that there's a huge and critical difference between a religion filled with to do and not to do lists and a true saving relationship with Jesus that's based
on what He was uniquely able to do (and did!)

Just wondering if you don't mind my asking - - what brought you to us and led you to sign up and share your story? Thank you for doing that, by the way, and never be shy with honest questions!

Anewcreationinjesus

Hi Rain, I agree with what everyone has said on here ...and I like chess too :) am trying to teach my daughter, although I am not one of those players who knows the name of every strategy going :)

Is great to have fellowship on here, have only been on here a few months myself, and it was a real answered prayer!

To me one of Jesus parables sums it up - one of the men was listing the good things that he did, and the other was crying "God be merciful to me, a sinner!" As we read the Bible, which is described as a two edged sword that shows the thoughts and intents of our hearts, the holy spirit convicts us - and when we put our simple trust in Christ's atoning sacrifice on our behalf, we become new creatures, or "born again", where God starts to change us from the inside out!

All of us born into that curse of sin and death which spread from Adam, and none of the different belief systems can deal with that sin problem - only try and cover it with doing good works ...

Jesus lived the perfect life we could never live, he was sinless, and his righteousness is then imputed to our account...like a millions bank debt wiped completely clean, including all those sins committed behind closed doors Ive done that only God saw!

We're living in such tricky times with belief systems like a pick and mix say they are the way to follow. Jesus himself said "I am the way, the truth and the life and no man comes to the Father except through me.".

Any belief system that doesn't line up with the Bible and the way God is revealed in there, also anything that seeks to add or take away from what the Bible says ...on numerous occasions the Bible describes the truth - Jesus himself, his word, the true and living God, the holy spirit of Truth, Jesus is faithful and true - that would be a wonderful Bible study in itself, to look up all references about the truth - and that all lies originate from the "father of lies" - the devil.

Where Jesus asked his disciples "who do you say I am?" I believe is the big question for everyone on the planet today. We can get to know who Jesus really is by reading his word, it's like a giant jigsaw puzzle to read every day, there are great different chat categories on here including a Bible Q and A section, we are all learning :) also a big prayer section too :)

I hope you enjoy the conversation on here as much as I do :) and am sure you would thrash me at chess!!

billy swinea

BROTHER RAIN HOW ARE YOU DOING? I HAVE BEEN PRAYING FOR YOU AND WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO PRAY FOR ME TOO. I WOULD BE PROUD TO HELP YOU IN ANY WAY THAT YOU NEED. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE THIS SITE. YOU ARE LOVED BY THE LORD JESUS CHRIST AND THE PEOPLE HERE. JESUS IS THE ANSWER TO ALL THE PROBLEMS! YOU CAN FIND THE ANSWERS IN THE WORD! LOVE IN JESUS Billy