My Dog Died

Mama Bug

I am so sorry for your loss! I lost two guinea pigs last year within less than 8 months of each other. They were both old for piggies at 6 and 7. I still cry every once in a while. I did beat myself up some over it, thinking that if only I'd done more, if only I had taken the 7 yo to the vet sooner, if only I'd gotten the 6yo a probiotic sooner. It's normal to feel how you are feeling. It hurt, especially at the beginning. They were quite spoiled and very much loved. One was my therapy pet sort of. If I was sad, anxious, whatever, I would get her and talk to her, telling her all about it, getting my tears on her at times. She would just sit and listen, putting her head under my chin. A time or two she reached up and licked my chin, like she was telling me it was going to be ok. She was the sweetest little lady. I have three more now and one of them is my sounding board. Not sure how she feels about it. She'll snuggle and listen and has given me kisses, trying to make me feel better. Pets really do become family and at times show more love than people do. They have a special place in your heart. I hope to have all the pets I've ever had in Heaven with me.

Mocha Latte

Dearest Channah, I didn’t see this until today, either! It is so very hard to lose pets since they are part of the family and such a big part of our day. I have so much love and sympathy for animals…they are so innocent. I have lost a few beloved pets and yes, I agree that it is so painful and hard to get through. I completely understand and remember your description of the pain being “raw.” And each time, I question if I could have done more/better. Just remember that you gave him his best life and then God called him back.

My screen name (Mocha Latte) is a remembrance of a cat I lost a couple years ago. She was a seal point Himalayan with that contrasting cookies & cream fur, hence her name. She was the most angelic & innocent princess I have ever met. She had acute onset kidney failure, so it happened pretty fast. When she was falling asleep I told her to say hi to the Lord for me. So as you can see, I feel much like you do and won’t forget any I have lost.

amystery

I just wanted to say that I am terribly sorry about your loss. I want to tell you that in my and my husband’s case, the pain does get better. We lost our Sweetie girl in early 2020. We had had her for almost 13 years. As we do not have children, she was incredibly special to us. She passed away at home, in my husband’s arms. We buried her on our land, together, and it was a total mix of feelings and emotions, but at the end I considered it a lesson, a privilege and it helped me process her passing. We got another dog a few months later because our other pup was missing Sweetie and had never been an only-dog. Getting another dog so soon may seem odd or disrepectful even, but in our experience it was truly a wonderful decision. To this day we often joke about what Sweetie might “say” about what the other two are doing or how they react to something. It allows Sweetie to truly live on in our hearts, and the love really does live on. Our dogs we have today aren’t Sweetie, and that is the best part! They are all so unique, and I truly feel they are each a gift from God. I believe I will see Sweetie again one day, and until that day, I will hold onto the memories and love for the rest of my life, and I know I’ll be okay, and I pray that you will be as well, and if the time comes where you’re ever ready for another pup, I pray that the love lives on for you too.

Channah

I have an update. We rescued two dogs from a shelter. One is 6 months and the other one is 3 years old. They were both strays from the street. I’m slowly warming up to them but the 3 year old is super needy and needs lots of reassurance. The 6 month old is cared and always looking to hide. It will take time for them to bond with me but we’re working on it.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I have an update. We rescued two dogs from a shelter. One is 6 months and the other one is 3 years old. They were both strays from the street. I’m slowly warming up to them but the 3 year old is super needy and needs lots of reassurance. The 6 month old is cared and always looking to hide. It will take time for them to bond with me but we’re working on it.
Congratulations, Channah, on your adoption of these two dogs. Sounds like you're a great dog owner who really loves her pets. Compassion for strays:hug

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
Channah, I believe we will be reunited with our precious fur babies. They are sinless creatures with souls, and their Creator loves them even more than we love them. He also understands our tremendous love for them. There is absolutely no reason why He could not choose to resurrect them too, and allow us to have them as our beloved companions for eternity…

:cloud9

So sorry for your loss. I have a lot of dogs. Kind of the crazy dog lady. Currently have 12, 8 of mine and 4 fosters. As someone mentioned, they will never replace your dog, but as someone with a couple of scared and skittish street dogs, they can be very rewarding. The ones i have have been abused. Scared of men but hubby tries to make friends. When they make steps it can be rewarding and exciting. They will take time, long time. Right now dogs aren’t being adopted here in Phoenix and we have so many dogs on the street. Our weather is deadly to them. So bless you for opening your heart and home. They aren’t perfect like us, but often they teach us something important.