Must all Christians Produce Fruit

Andy C

I noticed a mention on another thread about Christians showing good fruit. Must all Christians show good fruit?

The below is an answer from Jack Kelley

“No believer “has to” produce fruit. When we submit ourselves to the Lord’s will in our life the bearing of fruit will come naturally.

In fact, believers who go their own way and do their own thing cannot produce fruit no matter how hard they try. Jesus said, “If a man remains in Me and I in him he will produce much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5).

He also compared them to the seed that falls among thorns. The worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth make them unfruitful (Matt. 13:22).

In 1 Cor. 3:12-15 Paul said believers who produce no fruit are still saved, but as one escaping through the flames. The absence of fruit means we’re not following the Lord’s will for our life. It doesn’t mean we aren’t saved.

This is something the “faith plus works” people don’t understand. Unless our works are prompted by the Holy Spirit they’re of no value to the Kingdom no matter how successful they appear to be. Psalm 127:1 says, “Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain.”

But when the Holy Spirit guides us, things no one on earth would take notice of can be of great value to the Lord.

This is why Paul cautioned us not to judge what we see in others before the appointed time. He said, “Wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the hidden motives of men’s hearts” (1 Cor. 4:5).”

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/faith-and-fruit/

cheeky200386

Thank God the Holy Spirit in us will bear fruit without us trying! It definitely helps us to be able to discern who to befriend and who to be weary of as we see the lack of any fruit in their lives.

As the Bible says "We will know them by their fruit." Even more importantly we can know by what they profess. So many claim to be Christians and yet don't know the Gospel.

kathymendel

Sometimes bearing good fruit is "behind the scenes" and not out there for everyone to see.
So we should be careful not to judge others too harshly........we don't see everything.
I say this because, when I was younger the fruits were more evident. I served in church in many youth groups
and saw children accept the Lord as their savior. I witnessed at work and saw a few people come to faith.
I tried to make a good Christian home for my kids, and reached out to unsaved family and friends.
I donated items and dollars to charities in my community. This seemed the right thing to do because of my faith.

Now, I am old - and pretty much decrepit - and those opportunities are gone. I haven't the stamina or good health or finances
to continue in that way. But, I can pray........... and, that is one of the most important fruits that anyone, in any circumstance
can do. It isn't seen, and perhaps many think I bear fruit no more, but that is just not true. I try to be kind and pleasant to
all those I come in contact with, to say a word or two of encouragement if the Spirit guides me to do so. That is a fruit of the spirit
also. I can make a pot of soup and some biscuits for neighbors who are hurting or overwhelmed........... that is another essence of
spiritual fruit. Unseen, but no less the bearing of fruit. Go easy on people.......... you can't see everything behind the scenes.

Andy C

A good follow on from Jack deals with those peaky “fruit” inspectors

From Jack:
“The admonition to avoid judging people is clear. Both Matt. 7:1-2 and Luke 6:37 warn that those who insist upon doing so risk having their lives judged by the same standard they use in judging the lives of others. In 1 Cor. 4:5 Paul said to leave the judging to the Lord who alone knows our hidden motives. It is humanly impossible to tell who is saved and who is not, and whose works are good and whose are not. Only the Lord can determine that.

In Matt. 7:20 the idea of inspecting for good fruit is given in the context of evaluating false teachers and was not meant as a general principle. If it was the Lord would have been contradicting what He said in the passages I cited above. He was saying that false teaching can not produce true believers.

This doesn’t mean no true believers can emerge from a church that teaches false doctrine. It means the false doctrine itself can not produce true believers. Many have become believers in places that teach false doctrine, but it’s because they decided to learn what the Bible says for themselves instead of taking someone else’s word for it”.

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/fruit-inspectors/

Kerbluey

Just imagine the fruit we produce that we're unaware of. We'll have to wait to get to glory to understand.

I think this applies to my Aunt Cory. My father had a hard childhood. His father had an even worse one. This trickled down to me. I had a very dysfunctional childhood. In each of our lives was Aunt Cory. She was a dear sweet christian lady who showed each of us the tenderness we were missing. Even my dad and his dad adored her, and they adored nobody. I doubt she had any idea the amazing impact she had on 3 generations. She’s long been with the Lord, but I so look forward to meeting her one day. I’ll be the one wandering around heaven looking for the two Corys—Aunt Cory and Corrie ten Boom.

cheeky200386

I think this applies to my Aunt Cory. My father had a hard childhood. His father had an even worse one. This trickled down to me. I had a very dysfunctional childhood. In each of our lives was Aunt Cory. She was a dear sweet christian lady who showed each of us the tenderness we were missing. Even my dad and his dad adored her, and they adored nobody. I doubt she had any idea the amazing impact she had on 3 generations. She’s long been with the Lord, but I so look forward to meeting her one day. I’ll be the one wandering around heaven looking for the two Corys—Aunt Cory and Corrie ten Boom.

I can't wait to meet Corrie Ten Boom either.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
She’s long been with the Lord, but I so look forward to meeting her one day. I’ll be the one wandering around heaven looking for the two Corys—Aunt Cory and Corrie ten Boom.
I love this! I'd like to meet them both, as well. Guess there'll be three of us now wandering around. Let's just be sure to wander in three different directions. That will help us find them much faster. :bee

Hallelujah

Hey Guys and Gals,

I think it is important to remember the following verse.

2 Timothy 3:16

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

With this being said. I disagree with the author of this article. I noticed that most of this was posted directly from the online article.

“No believer “has to” produce fruit. When we submit ourselves to the Lord’s will in our life the bearing of fruit will come naturally.

The opening sentence clearly contradicts itself. The author says "No believer "has to" produce fruit. Then in the next sentence, he says that we will bring forth fruit naturally if we submit ourselves to the Lord.

I 100% agree that we should never be the judge of whether or not someone else is fruitful, or not. We should never judge anyone.
This goes along with what the author says when he quotes - 1 Corinthians 4:5

But for someone to produce ZERO fruit in their lives is likely not connected to the vine - which is Jesus Christ.

John 15:16 KJV

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, the ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

In this verse Jesus states that this is what all of us should do - bear fruit.

John 15:2

Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he (God the Father as the vinedresser in verse 1) taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

To me this seems pretty black and white. If you bear NO fruit. You are taken away.

John 15:6 KJV

If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch and is withered; and men gather them and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

In 1 Cor. 3:12-15 Paul said believers who produce no fruit are still saved, but as one escaping through the flames. The absence of fruit means we’re not following the Lord’s will for our life. It doesn’t mean we aren’t saved.

There is not a place in this verse that states that someone who produces "no fruit" are still saved.

Here is the verse as a reference:

1 Corinthians 3:12-15

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer the loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Paul simply states: that you can build on the foundation with different kinds of material. gold, silver, precious stones, wood hay, stubble. Fire doesn't hurt the first three mentioned on the list, but it does burn up the last three mentioned. Fire acts as a purifier to silver, gold, and precious stones. This simply teaches us that a believer can work for a reward.

Ephesians 4:22

“That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;”

This verse implies that the old man of old ways is "put off" - we are changed upon receiving salvation.

I am simply arguing that someone that produces NO fruit will be taken away - as the Bible states. All thoughts and comments are welcome.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Yes there are obvious forms of fruit. Even unbelievers bear visible fruit. I think Jesus is talking about eternal fruit.

Yet who can bear this kind of fruit without being connected to the Vine?

I live within the physical realm even though parts of me are eternal.

I find myself getting in trouble whenever I try to discern these things and the Lord will only reveal so much to me, a sinful mortal man. The rest I have to figure out on my own and alas, this is my problem. This is where trouble starts and the enemy awaits my thoughts and actions.
:devilish

Andy C

Hey Guys and Gals,

I think it is important to remember the following verse.

2 Timothy 3:16

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

With this being said. I disagree with the author of this article. I noticed that most of this was posted directly from the online article.

The opening sentence clearly contradicts itself. The author says "No believer "has to" produce fruit. Then in the next sentence, he says that we will bring forth fruit naturally if we submit ourselves to the Lord.

I 100% agree that we should never be the judge of whether or not someone else is fruitful, or not. We should never judge anyone.
This goes along with what the author says when he quotes - 1 Corinthians 4:5

But for someone to produce ZERO fruit in their lives is likely not connected to the vine - which is Jesus Christ.

John 15:16 KJV

Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, the ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

In this verse Jesus states that this is what all of us should do - bear fruit.

John 15:2

Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he (God the Father as the vinedresser in verse 1) taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

To me this seems pretty black and white. If you bear NO fruit. You are taken away.

John 15:6 KJV

If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch and is withered; and men gather them and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

There is not a place in this verse that states that someone who produces "no fruit" are still saved.

Here is the verse as a reference:

1 Corinthians 3:12-15

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;

13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

14 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer the loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Paul simply states: that you can build on the foundation with different kinds of material. gold, silver, precious stones, wood hay, stubble. Fire doesn't hurt the first three mentioned on the list, but it does burn up the last three mentioned. Fire acts as a purifier to silver, gold, and precious stones. This simply teaches us that a believer can work for a reward.

Ephesians 4:22

“That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;”

This verse implies that the old man of old ways is "put off" - we are changed upon receiving salvation.

I am simply arguing that someone that produces NO fruit will be taken away - as the Bible states. All thoughts and comments are welcome.
I did not include the question that Jack answered, so perhaps this will shed new light and place in proper context his answer. The below is the question asked, and once again, Jacks answer, which is excellent.

In the question that was asked, a reference (Recognized By Their Fruit) to an earlier question and answer Jack gave was made, so I also included that question and answer at the bottom of this post.

Question: Re: Recognized By Their Fruit. You are not saying that believers will or must produce fruit or their faith is not genuine, right? Fruit is only evidence of belief & not a litmus test. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved is what the Bible says & nothing added to it, correct? I’m asking because I have believer friends who think no fruit means no belief, and I think only God knows the heart & anything else is works.

Answer: No believer “has to” produce fruit. When we submit ourselves to the Lord’s will in our life the bearing of fruit will come naturally.

In fact, believers who go their own way and do their own thing cannot produce fruit no matter how hard they try. Jesus said, “If a man remains in Me and I in him he will produce much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing” (John 15:5).

He also compared them to the seed that falls among thorns. The worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth make them unfruitful (Matt. 13:22).

This is something the “faith plus works” people don’t understand. Unless our works are prompted by the Holy Spirit they’re of no value to the Kingdom no matter how successful they appear to be. Psalm 127:1 says, “Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain.”

But when the Holy Spirit guides us, things no one on earth would take notice of can be of great value to the Lord.

This is why Paul cautioned us not to judge what we see in others before the appointed time. He said, “Wait till the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the hidden motives of men’s hearts” (1 Cor. 4:5).

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/faith-and-fruit/

Here is the referenced question and answer:

Question
: You have said you believe that a number of prominent church leaders will be left behind so there will be a determined effort on their part to deny the rapture has taken place. I am not in any way opposing your opinion. Nor am I asking you to name names. But I was wondering on what scripture you based this opinion? How can you know if someone is born again when they claim to profess Jesus is Lord as so many church leaders today do?

Answer: In Matt. 7:21 Jesus said, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord’ will enter the kingdom.” Some liberal denominations teach their seminary students that Jesus is not God, that He is not the only way to salvation, and that you don’t have to be born again to be saved, you just have to join their church.

In my opinion, a person who graduates from such a seminary, becomes a pastor, and then teaches his or her congregation those same ideas would be in the suspect category where salvation is concerned. These people call Jesus Lord, but from what they preach it’s clear they don’t mean it in the same way that a born again believer would.

In the previous verse (Matt. 7:20) Jesus said we could recognize them by their fruit. Does the teaching of these pastors produce true born-again believers or just more Christians in name only?

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (John 1:1). The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us (John 1:14). “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6). “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again” (John 3:3).

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/recognized-by-their-fruit/

Back