musicians talk about instruments music and playing for christ

yrrek

Has any other musicians been in kinda like a musicians depression? Like you feel as if your playing sucks and you can't seem to play anything right and nothing is comeing together? And then. You feel horrible because you think your playing is horrible and now your just sad? And you don't even want to pick up your instrument or sing? I have that ever so often so was curious to see if others sometime feel the same.
Yyyyeeesssss…. Usually it happens during depression. Sometimes I feel like God wants us to pause and just listen. Asking for help and connection with him helps (at least me) get back into it.

TheRedeemed

@Musician 4 Jesus

I just tried to play and record 4 tunes today for my channel and it was a mess!

So I gave up for now, it's 14:30 now and I played for about 2 hours, will try to pick it up later tonight and see how I get on.

See, this not being able to play well thingy does happen to us all, for me it's pressure to get one decent recording done as I usually bag a few then time release them to my channel once a week on a Thursday. I have none left in the queue and if I don't get one decent one done today I may not have a one ready for Thursday.

I am going to release every two weeks now instead and it gives me more time to get a series of tunes done and will keep the channel refreshed for more weeks, which will lead into the festive season where I plan to record as many Christmas songs as I can in September/October and have them uploaded a few at a time so that by November they're all there.

I think by then most folks will be searching and listening to their fav Christmas tunes and it may help my channel to pick up quicker if I get loads of tunes and appropriate videos on it by then.

The failure to play right is due to the pressure and the fact that when recording you know one error or mistake means starting the whole tune again :(

I hope you're doing well and getting back on the ball with your own music!

How's the planning going for your singing live?

Musician 4 Jesus

Psalms 150 : 1-6 KJV
Kinda crazy here lately. Lots of outside family drama that I’m trying to avoid but excitement because I get to go to a few places I’ve missed out on (pandemic). I’m thanking Jesus he doesn’t abandon us. Lord knows I need him.
Awe sorry about the family drama did I know how that gose unfortunately. Where are you going if I may ask?

Musician 4 Jesus

@Musician 4 Jesus

I just tried to play and record 4 tunes today for my channel and it was a mess!

So I gave up for now, it's 14:30 now and I played for about 2 hours, will try to pick it up later tonight and see how I get on.
Ugh don't feel bad bro I had the same issues yesterday I recorded a few for Facebook it was a mess to mostly just solos that was it but it was still a pain.
See, this not being able to play well thingy does happen to us all, for me it's pressure to get one decent recording done as I usually bag a few then time release them to my channel once a week on a Thursday. I have none left in the queue and if I don't get one decent one done today I may not have a one ready for Thursday.
Well your not in anyones time table but your own remember that because if you don't you'll be stressing your self out the max for the rest of your life! Trust me I was the same way haha
I am going to release every two weeks now instead and it gives me more time to get a series of tunes done and will keep the channel refreshed for more weeks, which will lead into the festive season where I plan to record as many Christmas songs as I can in September/October and have them uploaded a few at a time so that by November they're all there.
Hay that works perfectly! And my bday is in November so there ya go haha you should do for fun the wellerman song hahah
I think by then most folks will be searching and listening to their fav Christmas tunes and it may help my channel to pick up quicker if I get loads of tunes and appropriate videos on it by then.
Ahhh yess that's a very good point and good ideas!!!
The failure to play right is due to the pressure and the fact that when recording you know one error or mistake means starting the whole tune again :(

I hope you're doing well and getting back on the ball with your own music!

How's the planning going for your singing live?
Ugh I hate having to redo something 100 times and I keep messing up!

I'm doing good so far I'll be playing mostly and only singing one song or two but I'm just trying to get out of the musicians depression and low self-esteem uggg two things I can't stand about being a musician everything else I absolutely love it's just them two things! If I could trade that for messing up when playing I would choose messing up!!

TheRedeemed

Ugh don't feel bad bro I had the same issues yesterday I recorded a few for Facebook it was a mess to mostly just solos that was it but it was still a pain.
Yeah, I am a perfectionist, probably like yourself too. This means I cannot allow myself the luxury of thinking well that's good enough. Nope! It has to be perfect or nothing!
Well your not in anyones time table but your own remember that because if you don't you'll be stressing your self out the max for the rest of your life! Trust me I was the same way haha
You're so wise! I need to remember this actually and not put undue pressure on myself. Thanks for pointing this out!

JSTyler

@Musician 4 Jesus and @TheRedeemed your last exchange of posts reminded me to hug my DAW/s just now.

Those performance issues are thankfully in my past. Mess up? No worries, just pause and start from a few notes before goof, edit later.

There's no question in my mind that what you're doing, real honest to goodness live play and performance, especially in one take is the pinnacle, but I prefer my sanity :biggrin2

I humbly bow to your commitment.

TheRedeemed

@Musician 4 Jesus and @TheRedeemed your last exchange of posts reminded me to hug my DAW/s just now.

Those performance issues are thankfully in my past. Mess up? No worries, just pause and start from a few notes before goof, edit later.

There's no question in my mind that what you're doing, real honest to goodness live play and performance, especially in one take is the pinnacle, but I prefer my sanity :biggrin2

I don’t know if you’ve visited my channel or not, but if you go to that popular video sharing platform and enter this code UC2MwKNhuidbqiX13Brhjs_Q in the search box, you’ll see why it’s crucial to get every note perfect!

Unfortunately I am not expert enough at doing the cutting and editing, so my only option is to bag it in one go!

I berate my performance in that it takes me two or three goes to get the perfect rendition, but like you say, getting a whole 3 or 4 minute, live as it happened tune captured faultlessly in one go, is a tremendous achievement and makes you feel so satisfied that you did it.

So all the tunes on my channel were all single takes from start to finish!

Musician 4 Jesus

Yeah, I am a perfectionist, probably like yourself too. This means I cannot allow myself the luxury of thinking well that's good enough. Nope! It has to be perfect or nothing!
Oh you that's me! The perfectionists guitarist!! If I get even one wrong it's time to start over haha when recording that is if it's live the uhh yeah I'll just laugh it off haha
You're so wise! I need to remember this actually and not put undue pressure on myself. Thanks for pointing this out!
Hahah me wise RIIIIIIIIGHT definitely not wise but I appreciate the compliment haha how are you doing today?

Musician 4 Jesus

Whaaaaaaaaat it's that easy?!?! Probably not with live music though with recording yes

TheRedeemed

Oh you that's me! The perfectionists guitarist!! If I get even one wrong it's time to start over haha when recording that is if it's live the uhh yeah I'll just laugh it off haha

Hahah me wise RIIIIIIIIGHT definitely not wise but I appreciate the compliment haha how are you doing today?

I had a much more successful session yesterday and managed to bag 4 'one take' recordings in about 2 hours and, will get them processed and queued up on my channel today for a two week Thursday release schedule.

If I manage to squeeze more in over the next 8 weeks I may be able to get back to the weekly schedule again.

It's good to have the 8 weeks now to be more relaxed about it all.

How are my fellow musicians doing?

As you can see from above, this one's doing well this week :)

JSTyler

Whaaaaaaaaat it's that easy?!?! Probably not with live music though with recording yes
It depends on whether you're recording live for an audience or for playing for an audience later. The tools in a good DAW can correct and compensate for almost anything at all, vocal or instrumental. The trap I'm in now is learning about the next tool and the next tool and the next tool... It's a bit addictive. I need to stop the learning churn and begin writing, composing and applying. "Oh but wait, BioTeck 2 is beckoning with it's practically endless possibilities!"

JSTyler

To get an idea of what is being done with a DAW and few (very inexpensive in the long run) tools, a bit of knowledge of said tools, do a search in that video webby for "One Man Band" by Alffy Rev.

Now this guy is at the top of the food chain for this sort of performance and it is a commitment to get this good. BUT, you can watch him build an amazing piece of instrumental music live, adjusting and compensating everything in real time and all of it is live.

sawas

I learn most songs pretty quickly and others it takes me a while I'm trying to learn new ways to learn songs quicker haha. Do what have you been up to?

Hay @sawas haven't seen you on in a while hope your doing well.
Sorry, just been real busy and a bit preoccupied with the busy-ness. I try to check in now and again and catch up. Hope all are well.

Christchild49

Hi, I'm newer here, and thought I'd join in, if that's okay. I sing a lot, played Bb clarinet and bass clarinet in high school in the late 80's, and dabble in the piano. I've been told that my singing is good enough to go on American Idol, but I sing for The Father only (well, my mom, too!). Some of the songs I've sung are He's My Son, by Mark Schultz, I Can Only Imagine, by MercyMe, and a few songs like As It Is In Heaven, by my all-time favorite artist, Michael W. Smith. I'd also like to learn the tin penny whistle, as Irish music/instruments are my favorite! I also want to get back to playing my clarinet soon.

This Christmas my husband and his family and I are all going on vacation for the holiday, but one of songs I would like to sing for my mom and for God is Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song), by Amy Grant. I think it's a beautiful song, and I might get to sing it in my Mom's church before we leave. In the meantime, I'll keep practicing the song to get it ready.

Btw, have any of you heard of the Life Light festival that was held near Sioux Falls, SD? That's where I got to meet Michael W. Smith one year at one of their last festivals. Here's the photo I got to take with him. He's my all-time favorite because he's so good and so humble.

G1HfYu7m.jpg

Again, thanks for letting me come and share my thoughts here. Have a blessed day everyone!

Musician 4 Jesus

I had a much more successful session yesterday and managed to bag 4 'one take' recordings in about 2 hours and, will get them processed and queued up on my channel today for a two week Thursday release schedule.

If I manage to squeeze more in over the next 8 weeks I may be able to get back to the weekly schedule again.

It's good to have the 8 weeks now to be more relaxed about it all.

As you can see from above, this one's doing well this week :)
Well I think we're both having more luck lately cuz I'm out of my musical depression and learning songs and in happy and go lick and having no issues at the moment need to practice practice practice for that thing I'm super excited!!!! So glad to hear things are going good your way!

Musician 4 Jesus

To get an idea of what is being done with a DAW and few (very inexpensive in the long run) tools, a bit of knowledge of said tools, do a search in that video webby for "One Man Band" by Alffy Rev.

Now this guy is at the top of the food chain for this sort of performance and it is a commitment to get this good. BUT, you can watch him build an amazing piece of instrumental music live, adjusting and compensating everything in real time and all of it is live.
I really need to start getting into the DAW stuff I just haven't had the time this few months and that sounds awesome btw!!

Musician 4 Jesus

Hi, I'm newer here, and thought I'd join in, if that's okay. I sing a lot, played Bb clarinet and bass clarinet in high school in the late 80's, and dabble in the piano. I've been told that my singing is good enough to go on American Idol, but I sing for The Father only (well, my mom, too!). Some of the songs I've sung are He's My Son, by Mark Schultz, I Can Only Imagine, by MercyMe, and a few songs like As It Is In Heaven, by my all-time favorite artist, Michael W. Smith. I'd also like to learn the tin penny whistle, as Irish music/instruments are my favorite! I also want to get back to playing my clarinet soon.

This Christmas my husband and his family and I are all going on vacation for the holiday, but one of songs I would like to sing for my mom and for God is Breath of Heaven (Mary's Song), by Amy Grant. I think it's a beautiful song, and I might get to sing it in my Mom's church before we leave. In the meantime, I'll keep practicing the song to get it ready.

Btw, have any of you heard of the Life Light festival that was held near Sioux Falls, SD? That's where I got to meet Michael W. Smith one year at one of their last festivals. Here's the photo I got to take with him. He's my all-time favorite because he's so good and so humble.

G1HfYu7m.jpg

Again, thanks for letting me come and share my thoughts here. Have a blessed day everyone!
If course your welcome!! Nice to meet you and glad you have joined! I'm much like you in the same way with singing I play and sing but I want to do it for fun and my parents and the good Lord I don't care for doing it to become famous or nothing like that I'll be singing and playing at a car show in a few months and I'm super excited one of my favorites I'll be singing or playing can't decide yet is wheel in the sky and I'll fly away as well as a few others :) and no I don't think I've ever heard of that band but I'll check them out! Are you a Petra fan by chance?