Movies you won't watch because...

Jonathan

Yeah, it's an old one, but.......Old Yeller
Funny you mention that one, because it was my second choice. The only reason it wasn't first was because I read the book as a kid so knew how it ended. Same with "Where the Red Fern Grows." What is it with authors obsessed with the dog dying at the end. Are they literary sadists? In rebellion, I recently even bought a .99 Kindle book called "A story about a dog who DOESN'T die in the end." for that very reason.

On an even sadder note, my mom grew up out in the country and fairly poor (although more than provided for in terms of food and housing) due to my grandfather's work in the mines. Because it was expensive and a novelty, he only took his kids (my mom included) out to see a movie once in their entire childhood.

The movie?

Yup, you guessed it, Ol' Yeller.

"Nice going grandpa! Good job! Now the woman who will eventually give birth to me is permanently traumatized and psychologically damaged! Thanks a lot pal!!"

Lol.

Ending on one of my favorite quotes by Mark Twain: "The more I know about people, the more I love my dog." I think this is the reason those kinds of movies are such tear jerkers.

Jonathan

Any Hallmark movie.
I see what you did there. I once was sort of forced (well not forced, but obligated) to stay in a room with my late father and my mom insisted on having the Hallmark channel on. I watched one movie and was like "Ok, this isn't that bad, a little campy and sappy, but I can see how some people (women) could dig this." Then, I watched a second and a third, and a fourth, and I think even a fifth. And I came to the following conlucsion.

ALL OF THEM WERE THE EXACT SAME MOVIE! Just with different characters and different locations, but they were essentially all the same. (Somewhere in the back of my head I heard Darek Zoolander shouting, "One Look?! ONE LOOK?!?!?"

Jonathan

This presents a conflict for me. I've never heard of that movie, and I am not going to google it yet for the following reason:. Seeing as how I DON'T know how it ends but that it DOES apparently end badly, is it still worth seeing if you know nothing about it in advance?

(For example, I would still be glad to have watched Old Yeller after it was done, but would NEVER EVER see it again).

I think I might just have to rent it after all.

On the inverse of this whole question, what is a movie that looks like something you would NEVER want to see but, actually, if you stuck with it, turned out to be great at the end?

I'll go first: Misery.

(I can't go into more details. That would violate my "no spoilers" rule, which I very often break).

Actually, I think I just did spoil it, although without details. :(

Wings Like Eagles

Funny you mention that one, because it was my second choice. The only reason it wasn't first was because I read the book as a kid so knew how it ended. Same with "Where the Red Fern Grows." What is it with authors obsessed with the dog dying at the end. Are they literary sadists? In rebellion, I recently even bought a .99 Kindle book called "A story about a dog who DOESN'T die in the end." for that very reason.

On an even sadder note, my mom grew up out in the country and fairly poor (although more than provided for in terms of food and housing) due to my grandfather's work in the mines. Because it was expensive and a novelty, he only took his kids (my mom included) out to see a movie once in their entire childhood.

The movie?

Yup, you guessed it, Ol' Yeller.

"Nice going grandpa! Good job! Now the woman who will eventually give birth to me is permanently traumatized and psychologically damaged! Thanks a lot pal!!"

Lol.

Ending on one of my favorite quotes by Mark Twain: "The more I know about people, the more I love my dog." I think this is the reason those kinds of movies are such tear jerkers.
I expect that, at some level, we see in them, the death of an innocent, noble creature and it reminds us of our Saviour's sacrifice. My granddaughter was absolutely distraught over the (temporary) death of the righteous lion, Aslan (symbolic of Jesus) in the first C.S. Lewis, Narnia film. Not sure that non-Western cultures have the same sympathy for the noble dog--since a number of unbelieving Asian cultures eat dogs. It is interesting to note that a friend's farm was sold to S. Koreans who happen to be Christians and they adore their dogs (and deplore the N. Korean, non-Christian, culinary habit of eating them).

Wings Like Eagles

I see what you did there. I once was sort of forced (well not forced, but obligated) to stay in a room with my late father and my mom insisted on having the Hallmark channel on. I watched one movie and was like "Ok, this isn't that bad, a little campy and sappy, but I can see how some people (women) could dig this." Then, I watched a second and a third, and a fourth, and I think even a fifth. And I came to the following conlucsion.

ALL OF THEM WERE THE EXACT SAME MOVIE! Just with different characters and different locations, but they were essentially all the same. (Somewhere in the back of my head I heard Darek Zoolander shouting, "One Look?! ONE LOOK?!?!?"
They seem to make a point of being pleasant to watch. Every so often they will do a "Christmas" series with over-the-top Christmas decorating. The story lines tend to be pap, though.

Jonathan

I'm sure it's just my weirdness, but I cannot watch any movie where a dog dies, or there's cruelty shown to them. Horses too.
You may be weird for all I know but not being able to stand a move where the dog dies is not weird at all.

But, in terms of weirdness, how much money to you have? Because if your net worth is seven to eight figures than you have officially graduated to ECCENTRIC and need to dispose of the "weird" label.

You noticed that eh? lol

I will go with Zoolander. Just because my daughter thinks it was funny.

Nemophilist

You may be weird for all I know but not being able to stand a move where the dog dies is not weird at all.

But, in terms of weirdness, how much money to you have? Because if your net worth is seven to eight figures than you have officially graduated to ECCENTRIC and need to dispose of the "weird" label.
I sure don't have a seven or eight figure net worth, but I think I like the sound of eccentric better. :paintnails