More Thoughts on Absolute Truth

Pat

WHAT mATTERS? Know What the Real Truth Is​

I just returned from teaching at a missionary training program in Oregon. Four students, selected by their home churches to go on the foreign mission field joined by three local attendees just wanting to learn, submitted themselves to an intense, week-long overview of the book of Romans. Their endurance, their hunger for learning from the Holy Spirit, and their openness to investigate teachings from the Word from a different perspective than they have been used to is refreshing to me. As I was driving home, I found it hard to believe that it has been 40 years since I sat in the same seat, in the same school, learning the same truths they were learning this week. How contrary that is to what the world is telling us today about what is true.

The world says that truth is relative to your experience and your experience will make you free both to do and be whatever you want. For example, if a man thinks he is a woman, the world says his feelings and his experiences become “his truth.” They say he is now a woman because he thinks he is, and we should accept “his truth.” But truth can’t change based on what one believes or thinks or feels. Jesus prayed, Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. John 17:17 The source of absolute truth is the Word of God, not what someone thinks or feels. Once it is established that God is the source of absolute truth, then one can be set free from the bondage of sin. And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. Romans 8:32 Jesus then went on to claim that He himself, as the human Word of God was the truth. I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:6

What matters is that the truths that I was taught 40 years ago are the same truths today because the Word doesn’t change. Peter told us, “Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which lives and abides forever.” 1 Peter 1:23 That “which lives and abides forever” is “Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today, and forever.” Hebrews 13:8 He, thus truth, doesn’t change. As we learned this week from Romans, going along with what the world says is true, corrupts your mind, and one becomes foolish. 1 Corinthians 1:20 But instead, we should daily “…present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” Romans 12:1-2 Please pray for those missionary trainees; Tyson, Ruth, Emily, and Timothy, that they grow in truth.