Money For Nothing: Universal Basic Income to Be Trialed in England

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
A trial of universal basic income (UBI) will be trialled for the first time in England where 30 people will be given a monthly stipend with no strings attached.

A little over 500 years after English philosopher Sir Thomas More first mooted the idea of a wealth-sharing programme in his book Utopia — a work praised by the likes of Communist Manifesto author Karl Marx and Soviet dictator Vladimir Lenin — universal basic income will be trialled in England for the first time.

The UBI scheme, to be run by the Autonomy think tank, will see 30 people given a monthly allowance of £1,600 a month without any requirements. The scheme will take place in the town of Jarrow in the North East of England and in the East Finchley area of North London, Sky News reports.

The pilot scheme will also draft a control group that won’t receive the free cash, in order for the researchers to measure the impact of the money on the lives of the participants.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...versal-basic-income-to-be-trialed-in-england/

Every time in the history of man that people's needs were taken care of without them needing to earn that, the results have been the same. One of the best examples was the Pilgrim's initial experience in the new world. It didn't take long before sharing everything in common had to be eliminated in order to give the new colony a chance at surviving. A few produced while the rest freeloaded. Such is human nature...

katt

A trial of universal basic income (UBI) will be trialled for the first time in England where 30 people will be given a monthly stipend with no strings attached.

A little over 500 years after English philosopher Sir Thomas More first mooted the idea of a wealth-sharing programme in his book Utopia — a work praised by the likes of Communist Manifesto author Karl Marx and Soviet dictator Vladimir Lenin — universal basic income will be trialled in England for the first time.

The UBI scheme, to be run by the Autonomy think tank, will see 30 people given a monthly allowance of £1,600 a month without any requirements. The scheme will take place in the town of Jarrow in the North East of England and in the East Finchley area of North London, Sky News reports.

The pilot scheme will also draft a control group that won’t receive the free cash, in order for the researchers to measure the impact of the money on the lives of the participants.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...versal-basic-income-to-be-trialed-in-england/

Every time in the history of man that people's needs were taken care of without them needing to earn that, the results have been the same. One of the best examples was the Pilgrim's initial experience in the new world. It didn't take long before sharing everything in common had to be eliminated in order to give the new colony a chance at surviving. A few produced while the rest freeloaded. Such is human nature...
Reminds me of welfare..

athenasius

Well you always get more of whatever you choose to reward.

In this case, laziness and entitlement.

The scheme will backfire, but the taxpayers won't hear about those aspects until it's put in place all over the country.

NewWine2020

There is no such thing as "no strings attached," especially when it comes to big government.

100%. It's no strings attached till you say something which goes against the narrative, then they turn your UBI (which will likely be provided via Central bank Digital Currency) off. It's going to be a diabolically effective strategy.

It will basically be the Mark of the beast lite.

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
Maybe it wouldn't work for some people but for others it definitely would. It certainly would under the rule of our Lord even if a man made version is doomed to failure.

It would certainly help me out. I am bored out of my skull on welfare and unable to work right now. (I'm actually beginning to wonder if it's possible to die of boredom. That would be one solution to my health problems. :heh )

With that amount of money, which is more than double what I get on welfare I could go private and get my health sorted. Then with my health sorted I could get a job.

Or I could start a garden and grow food for the community. I am not good with plants yet but I have a friend who's a keen gardener and is keen to get everyone she knows gardening too. I'm sure with her help I could start doing that and be self-employed.

But I can't get my health sorted with peanuts currently in my bank account and the doctors I've seen so far are about as useful as a hole in the head.

So...:shrug

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Sounds like our welfare system. Get enough to live but not to improve.

Same as Section 8, which requires the recipient to pay 1/3 of his or her gross income as "rent." If someone on Section 8 gets a raise or a better job, or a second job, his or her "rent" goes up. There's also a very low amount, I think $2000-$3000, that is the max savings a Section 8 recipient can have :mad: And, of course, maximum income, with look-back and recoupment if someone gets a really big raise or much better job :mad That recoupment sometimes means someone is worse off after earning more because benefits are cut off, as well.

This system is designed to keep people trapped in the system. No way to build savings for a down payment on a house, car, etc., and even if one is successful at bettering one's self, the system holds one back and punishes :mad

katt

Does make me wonder what they will do when everyone that will work is gone or are so very few that the government will have no money to give those it has conditioned to stay at home and do nothing. Of course with AI, except to keep AI running which will take only a few very intelligent people, what will they need the useless eaters for anyway?

FindingJoy

Does make me wonder what they will do when everyone that will work is gone or are so very few that the government will have no money to give those it has conditioned to stay at home and do nothing. Of course with AI, except to keep AI running which will take only a few very intelligent people, what will they need the useless eaters for anyway?
The prevailing theory being talked about is that we'll be medicated and given video games, but I'm more believing of the Soylent Green or useless eater theory.

Back