Moms laptop disabled?

Jared

Mom was looking up a recipe when her laptop seemed to be frozen..some thing popped up and says "Do nnot shut down or use... this computer is disabled..." and Defender was open in the background... said something about finding adware that can steal passwords and other stuff.. She's trying to call Microsoft about this...

Is this a kind of ransomware?

mattfivefour

Afterwards I would recommend installing a good security program to work with Windows Defender. I use Bitdefender Security on my desktop, 2 laptops, and 2 smartphones. Before that I used Malwarebytes and Black Ice Defender. I'm a heavy internet user and in the course of my research wind up in some very sketchy places, but thanks to the added security software I have never suffered a successful attack. The software always catches the attempts and eliminates them before I even know I have been attacked. The peace of mind is worth the few bucks a year it costs.

Jared

Thanks, everyone! Parents brought it to best buy after I left for work, and someone there helped them out with it. Mom already had Norton installed on it, too.

GEOINTAnalyst

I use Linux and Linux primary security setup restricts root access and fends off viruses from auto-executing, you have to give permission for a program to run in Linux Like any other OS, Linux is not immune from viruses but is safer because writing a virus or malware to target Linux is quite involved. This is why several companies are switching to Linux based servers and leaving Windows, plus Linux puts out their updates daily.

Web Browser is one of the main potential areas of concern - It is subject to be "Hi-Jacked" or a "Drive-by" download which specifically refer to malicious programs that install to your devices — without your consent. This also includes unintentional downloads of any files or bundled software onto a computer device - If you run Firefox web browser you can "harden" it to keep these kind of attacks to a minimum, Like adding a few "Add-ons" like - No Script- which prevents all scripts from running on a web site - UBlock Origin - to keep Ads down

For Windows security I would recommend - BitDenfender, or Webroot Secure Anywhere, and finally Kaspersky

lamonte

Depending how old your computer is I would recommend reformatting your hard drive. Most computers today have a recovery mode which you can put it back in new condition. Anybody having a Windows machine, I would recommend doing this every three or more years. When it comes to malicious programs the only way to get them completely off your hard drive is by reformatting. I know there are exceptions to this, but if your computer is over three or more years old it's worth doing it. Good luck