Mom Fears

cheeky200386

Ever since having Peter, now 17 months old, I've struggled with overwhelming fear of him getting abducted. I've watched countless videos of how easily kids are kidnapped from parks, in front of their homes hoping to learn what mistakes I can avoid.

The ease of how the kids are taken horrifies me. I pray and ask God to protect my son but yet I'm letting these doubts creep in. I don't know why I'm struggling to just trust God to keep him safe. Then I think, well God allows Christian children to be kidnapped and killed so then I get stuck.

I don't know why I keep letting Satan take my peace. It's to the point where I don't leave my house without my husband. When I have to go out with just Peter, I immediately feel vulnerable and realize all the different ways I could be attacked and Peter taken. It's just awful. I just ordered a kid leash to use when my husband and I are out with him.

Have any other mothers overcome this?

cheeky200386

It doesn't help that a mom in a local mom's groups, shared how brazen some guy was at walking over to her shopping cart to unbuckle her 1 year old and proceeded to pick him up. All while her and her husband were next to the shopping cart using the self checkout. She reacted quickly, made a scene and grabbed her son. The man and another guy he was with, quickly left. This was at a local Walmart near me.

This is how bold criminals are getting.

Another mom in the group commented that trafficking is huge in FL because of it being surrounded by water. It just creeped me out.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Cheeky, for most of my kid's growing up years I was pretty much the mom and the dad. When you're out with your boy, keep an eye on him. If you're talking to someone, keep your visual focus on your child while talking. It doesn't matter what the person you're talking to thinks about that... My family was pretty safe in this town but you have to be careful everywhere. :pray

cheeky200386

Cheeky, for most of my kid's growing up years I was pretty much the mom and the dad. When you're out with your boy, keep an eye on him. If you're talking to someone, keep your visual focus on your child while talking. It doesn't matter what the person you're talking to thinks about that... My family was pretty safe in this town but you have to be careful everywhere. :pray
That's helpful to remember to always have my eyes on Peter even when someone is talking to me. Politeness doesn't matter then.

Leigh

That's good advice - and in public at Peter's size you can always be holding him in your arms, holding his hand, or have him strapped in a stroller or shopping cart. Even in less crowded public places, such as a park, you must stay with him always. Avoid going out after dark unless your husband is with you.

When my boys were little (they're 23 and 28 now) I don't remember hearing about child trafficking, but of course there's always been kidnapping and yes I was definitely fearful of that, along with every other possible thing that could happen. I used to joke about the "mom file" I kept in my head of every freak accident and tragic story I ever heard. Eventually I realized I couldn't protect them from all harm, but certainly did my best and was probably a bit overprotective (to a point... obviously it lessened as they got older), but felt that was my duty as a mother. (Hopefully no harm was done and now they protect me!)

Stay vigilant and pray for God's protection and for wisdom. I think you are a great mom! :hug

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Listen to your gut. Even if that seems rude, remembering that the Holy Spirit is always with you to help.

This is also a great reason to dig in to scripture and God's promises to help and lean on. You can pray for God's guidance for a passage that He knows will bring assurance. Stay in His word daily, seek His will, His Kingdom.

And remember, your prayers are heard for protection with your family. Every day my prayer is for God's hedge of protection, surrounding us with His angels and rebuking of satan and the demons and filling of His Holy Spirit (believers always have H.S. but can be filled with increased wisdom, guidance, understanding, etc.).

I firmly believe that God answered prayers through provincial protection.

In fact, both of my children have had some very close calls. Almost being hit by a drunk driver, but the direction of the car altered suddenly, and my daughter almost being abducted, but God spoke within me very distinctly, in the midst of my distractedness, to tell me to look up at my daughter, where I saw a man standing in front of her. I KNEW he was deciding between taking her or doing his shopping. As I watched and hurried over, I could see him deciding to do the shopping instead. The woman behind me had a very scared look on her face as she saw the same thing and said, "that was close!" with the cashier nodding in agreement, however it seems that God has plans for her and intervened by warning me.

There's so many other times God has really been there watching over my kids!!

So, what I've learned is that I can trust and rest in God's faithfulness (I still have moments of anxiousness but I try to stay focused on His past faithfulness and continue to trust Him).

When you can, see if you can join up with other moms or parent prayer groups to gather more prayer support (we can all pray here too ;-) ), not only for protection but for God's peace.

Here's some passages that may be good go to ones when worrying:

Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

Isaiah 41:10

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7

"The children of your people
will live in security.
Their children’s children
will thrive in your presence.”

Psalm 102:28

But the love of the Lord remains forever
with those who fear him.
His salvation extends to the children’s children

Psalm 103:17

Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 This I declare about the Lord:
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
he is my God, and I trust him.
3 For he will rescue you from every trap
and protect you from deadly disease.
4 He will cover you with his feathers.
He will shelter you with his wings.
His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
5 Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,
nor the arrow that flies in the day.
6 Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,
nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
7 Though a thousand fall at your side,
though ten thousand are dying around you,
these evils will not touch you.
8 Just open your eyes,
and see how the wicked are punished.
9 If you make the Lord your refuge,
if you make the Most High your shelter,
10 no evil will conquer you;
no plague will come near your home.
11 For he will order his angels
to protect you wherever you go.
12 They will hold you up with their hands
so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.
13 You will trample upon lions and cobras;
you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet!
14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
I will protect those who trust in my name.
15 When they call on me, I will answer;
I will be with them in trouble.
I will rescue and honor them.
16 I will reward them with a long life
and give them my salvation.”

Psalm 91

And finally, you might like the book, "The Power of a Praying Parent." :)

:hug

:pray

cheeky200386

Listen to your gut. Even if that seems rude, remembering that the Holy Spirit is always with you to help.

This is also a great reason to dig in to scripture and God's promises to help and lean on. You can pray for God's guidance for a passage that He knows will bring assurance. Stay in His word daily, seek His will, His Kingdom.

And remember, your prayers are heard for protection with your family. Every day my prayer is for God's hedge of protection, surrounding us with His angels and rebuking of satan and the demons and filling of His Holy Spirit (believers always have H.S. but can be filled with increased wisdom, guidance, understanding, etc.).

I firmly believe that God answered prayers through provincial protection.

In fact, both of my children have had some very close calls. Almost being hit by a drunk driver, but the direction of the car altered suddenly, and my daughter almost being abducted, but God spoke within me very distinctly, in the midst of my distractedness, to tell me to look up at my daughter, where I saw a man standing in front of her. I KNEW he was deciding between taking her or doing his shopping. As I watched and hurried over, I could see him deciding to do the shopping instead. The woman behind me had a very scared look on her face as she saw the same thing and said, "that was close!" with the cashier nodding in agreement, however it seems that God has plans for her and intervened by warning me.

There's so many other times God has really been there watching over my kids!!

So, what I've learned is that I can trust and rest in God's faithfulness (I still have moments of anxiousness but I try to stay focused on His past faithfulness and continue to trust Him).

When you can, see if you can join up with other moms or parent prayer groups to gather more prayer support (we can all pray here too ;-) ), not only for protection but for God's peace.

Here's some passages that may be good go to ones when worrying:

Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.

Isaiah 41:10

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:6-7

"The children of your people
will live in security.
Their children’s children
will thrive in your presence.”

Psalm 102:28

But the love of the Lord remains forever
with those who fear him.
His salvation extends to the children’s children

Psalm 103:17

Those who live in the shelter of the Most High
will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 This I declare about the Lord:
He alone is my refuge, my place of safety;
he is my God, and I trust him.
3 For he will rescue you from every trap
and protect you from deadly disease.
4 He will cover you with his feathers.
He will shelter you with his wings.
His faithful promises are your armor and protection.
5 Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night,
nor the arrow that flies in the day.
6 Do not dread the disease that stalks in darkness,
nor the disaster that strikes at midday.
7 Though a thousand fall at your side,
though ten thousand are dying around you,
these evils will not touch you.
8 Just open your eyes,
and see how the wicked are punished.
9 If you make the Lord your refuge,
if you make the Most High your shelter,
10 no evil will conquer you;
no plague will come near your home.
11 For he will order his angels
to protect you wherever you go.
12 They will hold you up with their hands
so you won’t even hurt your foot on a stone.
13 You will trample upon lions and cobras;
you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet!
14 The Lord says, “I will rescue those who love me.
I will protect those who trust in my name.
15 When they call on me, I will answer;
I will be with them in trouble.
I will rescue and honor them.
16 I will reward them with a long life

and give them my salvation.”

Psalm 91

And finally, you might like the book, "The Power of a Praying Parent." :)

:pray
Thank you so much. I was crying reading those beautiful verses. I'm going to reread them again and again and try and memorize them. They are perfect for my anxious worries over my son.

When I read about persecuted Christians and how their children are raped, tortured, and killed, I struggle to see how God protected them. Even though I know God has a plan for all of it, it's difficult for me to find peace in that. Yet it isn't happening to my child but what about those mothers?

I hope I'm making sense. I tell myself, I guess I shouldn't worry about other mothers and just focus on God's plan for my son specifically.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
Cheeky, you are the sweetest mama.
I had a child leash with my daughter. I heard plenty of *dog leash* trash talk but it kept us together and gave me peace of mind.
Cheeky, is there any way to watch less abduction videos?? That may be adding to your anxiety. I realize you are trying to learn how to avoid this. You are a smart woman and I believe that you do a good job protecting sweet Peter. But it sounds like you have almost crippling anxiety over this issue.
I pray you can find relief and be able to enjoy all life (indoors and outdoors) has to offer you and your baby. These are such precious years.

Jojo4124

I hear you! Evil is out there and you do have to be alert in public places...kid leashes help...always keep your son in your sights. But anxiety that cripples isnt from God either, you can go out with your son boldly...the angel of the Lord encamps around those that fear Him. Your son is under God's protection...pray over him when you go out and trust that Father God will alert you to any potential danger...listen to those promptings regarding anyone, even in church, etc. Seriously, ask your pastor if children's workers have been background checked, you have a right to know. Dont feel rude if you feel like you need to get away from someone.

We dont need to live in fear. As a mom, I too felt the need to pray over my daughters especially when they were not in my care. You have authority in Jesus over ALL the power of the enemy! Take that authority and pray scriptures over your son, then rest in the fact that God will protect him and alert you if needed. Praying for you!!

cheeky200386

Cheeky, you are the sweetest mama.
I had a child leash with my daughter. I heard plenty of *dog leash* trash talk but it kept us together and gave me peace of mind.
Cheeky, is there any way to watch less abduction videos?? That may be adding to your anxiety. I realize you are trying to learn how to avoid this. You are a smart woman and I believe that you do a good job protecting sweet Peter. But it sounds like you have almost crippling anxiety over this issue.
I pray you can find relief and be able to enjoy all life (indoors and outdoors) has to offer you and your baby. These are such precious years.
You're right, it does feel crippling. I'm going to have to stop watching those videos. It's almost like they affirm my fears so it justifies my wanting to o stay inside with him and have my husband chaperone us.

cheeky200386

I hear you! Evil is out there and you do have to be alert in public places...kid leashes help...always keep your son in your sights. But anxiety that cripples isnt from God either, you can go out with your son boldly...the angel of the Lord encamps around those that fear Him. Your son is under God's protection...pray over him when you go out and trust that Father God will alert you to any potential danger...listen to those promptings regarding anyone, even in church, etc. Seriously, ask your pastor if children's workers have been background checked, you have a right to know. Dont feel rude if you feel like you need to get away from someone.

We dont need to live in fear. As a mom, I too felt the need to pray over my daughters especially when they were not in my care. You have authority in Jesus over ALL the power of the enemy! Take that authority and pray scriptures over your son, then rest in the fact that God will protect him and alert you if needed. Praying for you!!
Thank you so much for these much needed reminders. I have to remember that fear is not of God and he can intervene in ways I never could. I really needed these verses and encouraging perspectives.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
It's easy to let our focus move away from God's Word and His faithful care. Our enemy will use any avenue to do so, especially through those close to us, those people, things, movements that we hold dear. A red flag that you may be targeted by your enemy is fear, increasing in our hearts rather than seeing opportunities God may be leading us to.

One needs to ascertain, as the Holy Spirit shows, when fear, not of God is taking hold and what is the source being used to generate that fear? Is that source more important to us than God? How can increased time in God's Word, our bread of life, bring spiritual nourishment and assurance in this area? Where is there an imbalance in our lives that's superseding God's Word?

And, be careful also that your love for your son is not greater than your love for God, remembering that God loves your son so much more than you. :)

While you are his parent and responsible for his care and just the right parent God wants for Peter, remember that Peter ultimately belongs to God and God has His good purposes and plans for Peter. That might look different than what you are hoping and imagining for him. But, always, God is working for the very best good in Peter's and other's lives around him.

And as you become aware of your own concerns for Peter, praying for him, use this as a prayer point for other parents encountering similar issues. And know that as you hear other stories that you're not always hearing the rest of the story of how God is in the midst of other difficult situations working, healing and bringing increased redemption as a result.

Here's one more passage that's a great meditation passage, I love how the NLT puts this:

Do not be afraid that some plan conceived behind closed doors will be the end of you. Do not fear anything except the Lord Almighty. He alone is the Holy One. If you fear him, you need fear nothing else. He will keep you safe......

Isaiah 8:12-14

And while in His permissive will God does allow trials (often to grow or solidify our faith in Him) in our lives he says in His Word that He's with us, ready to help in times of trouble.

I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me.
He freed me from all my fears.

Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
no shadow of shame will darken their faces.

In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened;
he saved me from all my troubles.

Psalm 34:4-6

Take delight in the Lord,
and he will give you your heart’s desires.

Commit everything you do to the Lord.
Trust him, and he will help you.

Psalm 37:4-5

The Lord hears his people when they call to him for help.
He rescues them from all their troubles.

Psalm 34:17

Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God,
and keep the vows you made to the Most High.

Then call on me when you are in trouble,
and I will rescue you,
and you will give me glory.”

Psalm 50:14-15

Notice that the focus is looking not to ourselves, our plans nor anyone else for our help and security, but first and foremost the Lord our God, who's very capable.

And be careful of fear of man for:

The fear of man brings a snare,
But whoever trusts in and puts his confidence in the Lord will be exalted and safe.

Proverbs 29:25

I can't tell you how many situations where over and over, as a challenge came up with my kids how the first thing I did was to go to the Lord in prayer before doing anything else, sometimes answering even before finishing my prayer. I can tell you with great confidence Cheeky, go to the Lord in prayer every day on behalf of Peter, and when there's a fear or challenge, don't let that become bigger than God and His capable help. Go to Him first and He'll help....sometimes right away, sometimes in His timing....and know that if it's a waiting aspect you are in, there may be other people involved that God is using the situation for to do a work in their hearts.

cheeky200386

Didn't yall just move? That in itself is a huge stressor. I can definitely understand being extra cautious, especially until you get familiar with your new surroundings.
Yes! We moved on July 25th and everything is so unfamiliar. Then I keep hearing how there is more crime in Florida and being in a city doesn't help. We lived out in the Boonies in MA where it was very quiet. But I do notice my fears went into overdrive right after having Peter. It's like all of a sudden I realized how much Peter needed protecting and how there are so many people that want to hurt him.

The news is filled with stories of abductions, pedophiles, and the LGBT encouraging pedophilia. It's hard to tune it all out when it's spreading like a cancer.

cheeky200386

It's easy to let our focus move away from God's Word and His faithful care. Our enemy will use any avenue to do so, especially through those close to us, those people, things, movements that we hold dear. A red flag that you may be targeted by your enemy is fear, increasing in our hearts rather than seeing opportunities God may be leading us to.

One needs to ascertain, as the Holy Spirit shows, when fear, not of God is taking hold and what is the source being used to generate that fear? Is that source more important to us than God? How can increased time in God's Word, our bread of life, bring spiritual nourishment and assurance in this area? Where is there an imbalance in our lives that's superseding God's Word?

And, be careful also that your love for your son is not greater than your love for God, remembering that God loves your son so much more than you. :)

While you are his parent and responsible for his care and just the right parent God wants for Peter, remember that Peter ultimately belongs to God and God has His good purposes and plans for Peter. That might look different than what you are hoping and imagining for him. But, always, God is working for the very best good in Peter's and other's lives around him.

And as you become aware of your own concerns for Peter, praying for him, use this as a prayer point for other parents encountering similar issues. And know that as you hear other stories that you're not always hearing the rest of the story of how God is in the midst of other difficult situations working, healing and bringing increased redemption as a result.

Here's one more passage that's a great meditation passage, I love how the NLT puts this:

Do not be afraid that some plan conceived behind closed doors will be the end of you. Do not fear anything except the Lord Almighty. He alone is the Holy One. If you fear him, you need fear nothing else. He will keep you safe......

Isaiah 8:12-14

And while in His permissive will God does allow trials (often to grow or solidify our faith in Him) in our lives he says in His Word that He's with us, ready to help in times of trouble.

I prayed to the Lord, and he answered me.
He freed me from all my fears.

Those who look to him for help will be radiant with joy;
no shadow of shame will darken their faces.

In my desperation I prayed, and the Lord listened;
he saved me from all my troubles.

Psalm 34:4-6

Take delight in the Lord,
and he will give you your heart’s desires.

Commit everything you do to the Lord.
Trust him, and he will help you.

Psalm 37:4-5

The Lord hears his people when they call to him for help.
He rescues them from all their troubles.

Psalm 34:17

Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God,
and keep the vows you made to the Most High.

Then call on me when you are in trouble,
and I will rescue you,
and you will give me glory.”

Psalm 50:14-15

Notice that the focus is looking not to ourselves, our plans nor anyone else for our help and security, but first and foremost the Lord our God, who's very capable.

And be careful of fear of man for:

The fear of man brings a snare,
But whoever trusts in and puts his confidence in the Lord will be exalted and safe.

Proverbs 29:25

I can't tell you how many situations where over and over, as a challenge came up with my kids how the first thing I did was to go to the Lord in prayer before doing anything else, sometimes answering even before finishing my prayer. I can tell you with great confidence Cheeky, go to the Lord in prayer every day on behalf of Peter, and when there's a fear or challenge, don't let that become bigger than God and His capable help. Go to Him first and He'll help....sometimes right away, sometimes in His timing....and know that if it's a waiting aspect you are in, there may be other people involved that God is using the situation for to do a work in their hearts.

WOW! God surely used you to share his Word with me. I need to spend more time in the word reading verses about his promises. Getting connected to a local church will be a big help. I found one that was going to return this Sunday. The Pastor knows my old Pastor from MA.

It'll be a blessing serving there and hearing the Word. I have to trust God's plans are better than my own and he loves Peter more than I.

athenasius

Cheeky my son who is now 41 was ADHD from the start. I had him on a leash to save him from darting into traffic because he had no ability to stop himself from doing whatever came into his extra busy little brain.

It didn't stifle him 1 iota. He's the nicest mellow guy you could meet, loves the Lord with all his heart and survived his childhood! and so did we. But I did deal with people who felt I was mistreating him. Mistreating him would be letting him dart out in front of a car, but they didn't see it like I did. I carried on. My goal was raising a live child to be a God fearing adult who contributes to society. Mission accomplished!

I second the above suggestions but you are so normal. Extra vigilance in a new place is normal as long as you don't amplify it.

Plus news outlets love to play up disaster. If it bleeds it leads is the old saying for TV and newspaper news rooms.

Then there are the disaster junkies who bring excitement to their lives by scaring the newbies to the neighbourhood.

You know, the same kind that when you are pregnant tell you horrifying tales of how people die in childbirth or suffer horribly the whole way thru. You end up after an encounter with these purveyors of sweetness and light shakin' in yer boots. They go away happy, they've spread their daily dose of doom while you are :waaa .

If you tell them you are happy, healthy and things are going well, they fix a beady eye on you, shake their heads and JUST WAIT.... they say.

Fix your eyes on Jesus, and remember Jeremiah 29:11 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

God led you there every step of the way! He who led you there, keeps you in the palm of His hand.