MLB talking about opening up season

Lovin Jesus

MLB is talking about opening up the Season in May with all 30 teams playing in one location. Chase Field Arizona where the Diamonbacks play. Of course no physical spectators. They are finalizing details in their talks

Andy C

Here is a link to what MLB wants to do in order to play this season. The below are 8 paragraphs from the link, describing the details of what players can and cant do. Players wont accept living like this for an entire season. Then again, if they want the money, they have to do whatever it takes, even as crazy as this sounds.

Here is what a day in the life of a baseball player could look like in 2020.

Wake up. Grab the thermometer issued to every player in MLB and take your temperature. Just make sure to do it before eating, drinking or exercising. Then take it again. If it's over 100 degrees, self-isolate, call the team physician and get ready to take a rapid-response COVID-19 test.

If not, you can go to the stadium. If you're on the road, it can be on any of the six bus trips to the ballpark instead of the typical early-or-late options. Don't forget to open the windows. If you're at home, go to the entrance that can be used only by 101 specifically designated people. Put on a mask. Walk into the stadium. Maybe even be in uniform already. Get your temperature taken again. If it's still below 100, you're allowed in the restricted areas: the field, the training room, the weight room, the clubhouse. Or perhaps the auxiliary clubhouse, because social distancing is important, and 6 feet will separate lockers, and locker rooms just aren't big enough to handle that many people and that much space between them, so the team needs to build another.

Might be your day for a coronavirus test, since there will be a few a week, so get that saliva ready. Also could be the monthly blood test for coronavirus antibodies. Since you can't use hot tubs, cold tubs, saunas, steam rooms or cryotherapy, there's no excuse not to get to the 4:30 hitters' meeting on time. Just check whether it's on the iPad or outside. Indoor, in-person meetings don't exist anymore.

At least you can take off the mask on the field. You'll be out there plenty. It may look a little odd. No water or sports-drink jugs in the dugout. No sunflower seeds or dip. Remember? You can't spit. Or high-five. Or dap. Or hug.

It's game time. There's no lineup card exchange. They were sent via app. The manager is standing along the railing. He's not allowed to be on the steps. Other coaches are spread out -- 6 feet from one another, of course. The rest of the bench is sparsely populated. Only players likely to enter the game can be in the dugout. The rest are in the stands. The closest you can sit to anyone is with four empty seats between you and two empty rows behind you.

When the pitcher needs some grip, he'd better not lick his fingers. He has a personal rosin bag for that. The hitter who needs some tack has his own pine tar rag, too. When a hitter whacks a single to left field and gets on first base, he should skip the small talk. Socializing and fraternizing are forbidden before, during and after the game. Same with fighting. So don't be too nice to opponents, but don't be too mean, either.

Oh, and that ball that went into left. Get rid of it. If it's in play and touched by multiple players, it's no longer good. Because cleanliness is paramount. If you're playing, you're supposed to wash your hands or sanitize them every half-inning. Bullpen phone gets used? Disinfect it. Dugout phone rings? Disinfect it.

The game ends. There's no buffet, so the clubhouse attendant grabs you a pre-packaged meal. Don't bother with a cash tip. They take Venmo and PayPal, thanks. Want to eat with teammates? Social-distancing rules still apply. You could wait until you get back to the hotel and hit the private dining area or order room service. Don't even think of going out to dinner. You're not allowed to leave the hotel without approval -- period. So go back to your room, which looks the same as it did when you left -- housekeeping isn't allowed to enter -- and call it a day.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...b-plan-return-daunting-health-safety-protocol

JSTyler

When the pitcher needs some grip, he'd better not lick his fingers. He has a personal rosin bag for that. The hitter who needs some tack has his own pine tar rag, too. When a hitter whacks a single to left field and gets on first base, he should skip the small talk. Socializing and fraternizing are forbidden before, during and after the game. Same with fighting. So don't be too nice to opponents, but don't be too mean, either.

Oh, and that ball that went into left. Get rid of it. If it's in play and touched by multiple players, it's no longer good. Because cleanliness is paramount. If you're playing, you're supposed to wash your hands or sanitize them every half-inning. Bullpen phone gets used? Disinfect it. Dugout phone rings? Disinfect it.
I really-really dislike sports, A LOT, and I'd still be all for this but for two reasons.

1 -The folks that actually need the work and income are pretty much everyone except the players. The sports economy is yoooge, and without the peripheral jobs it is dead.

2 - What follows...

This reads so much like the fruitloop-haired, millennial handbook for unhealthy kid-rearing; Don't let your kids eat nuts, most definitely not peanuts. No sugar, no chocolate, no wheat, no gluten, no salt, no red meat, nothing with flavor. No playing in the yard, there's too much sunlight, there are too many insects, too much dirt, all kinds of pollen, furry critters and the filthy deplorable neighbor kids might infect them with something. No hard ball playing, wear a helmet, knee pads and leather gloves to go out and look at butterflies, 1000 spf sunscreen, a bottle of deet per hour, no bare skin, and NO bare feet, cuz' are you joking? Hookworms, dog doo, cat doo, grass, clover dirt, mud sand, too much to even list...ever heard of any of it?

I stated this before and will do so again, this covid issue is something that has to be survived and cannot truly be avoided if what we've been told is even half true.

And just to be clear, we got the word that we may be going back to work soon with a mile long list of cleanliness and safety procedures that's very similar to the above but nowhere near as restrictive and panic-laden. We will follow ALL of the requirements to be a good witness first and a cooperative citizen/employee second. Still and all, what they're proposing is nothing like baseball...I don't know what to call it but baseball seems a far cry away.

But I do hope the fans are pleased no matter what my silly opinions are.

Andy C

I really-really dislike sports, A LOT, and I'd still be all for this but for two reasons.

1 -The folks that actually need the work and income are pretty much everyone except the players. The sports economy is yoooge, and without the peripheral jobs it is dead.

2 - What follows...

This reads so much like the fruitloop-haired, millennial handbook for unhealthy kid-rearing; Don't let your kids eat nuts, most definitely not peanuts. No sugar, no chocolate, no wheat, no gluten, no salt, no red meat, nothing with flavor. No playing in the yard, there's too much sunlight, there are too many insects, too much dirt, all kinds of pollen, furry critters and the filthy deplorable neighbor kids might infect them with something. No hard ball playing, wear a helmet, knee pads and leather gloves to go out and look at butterflies, 1000 spf sunscreen, a bottle of deet per hour, no bare skin, and NO bare feet, cuz' are you joking? Hookworms, dog doo, cat doo, grass, clover dirt, mud sand, too much to even list...ever heard of any of it?

I stated this before and will do so again, this covid issue is something that has to be survived and cannot truly be avoided if what we've been told is even half true.

And just to be clear, we got the word that we may be going back to work soon with a mile long list of cleanliness and safety procedures that's very similar to the above but nowhere near as restrictive and panic-laden. We will follow ALL of the requirements to be a good witness first and a cooperative citizen/employee second. Still and all, what they're proposing is nothing like baseball...I don't know what to call it but baseball seems a far cry away.

But I do hope the fans are pleased no matter what my silly opinions are.
I could not just “like” your post, I have to tell you its EXCELLENT.

Andy C

For the record - During the spanish flu, baseball did not shut down. One player, and one umpire from MLB died from the flu.

RonJohnSilver

Since the two sides are arguing about money, I predict no baseball this year! Although I like the sport, I'd rather have the Angels win the entire season rather that have the "Corona Crown". Besides, both my fantasy teams are lousy.

SonSeeker

Since the two sides are arguing about money, I predict no baseball this year! Although I like the sport, I'd rather have the Angels win the entire season rather that have the "Corona Crown". Besides, both my fantasy teams are lousy.
Hey RJ, just take a page out of the big league playbook. If your teams are lousy just trade for something better. I hear Andy has some seriously deep pockets, and doesn't have a clue when it comes to what makes a good fantasy team. Give it a shot, what have you got to lose? Other than a couple of lousy fantasy teams.

Andy C

Hey RJ, just take a page out of the big league playbook. If your teams are lousy just trade for something better. I hear Andy has some seriously deep pockets, and doesn't have a clue when it comes to what makes a good fantasy team. Give it a shot, what have you got to lose? Other than a couple of lousy fantasy teams.
I have never played any of the fantasy leagues, no clue how they work. I prefer the real deal.

I hope the Angels win it all, or anybody but those catus dwellers, the Diamondbacks.

Side note - IMO, its 50/50 as to them even playing baseball this season.

Lovin Jesus

Watching Fox News and they are talking about sports coming back. MLB is in the middle of talks but the players are very upset that the league is telling them they have to take a pay cut. The players are not happy about that. No revenue, no money.

Last edited: