MLB Strike and Lock-Out; Canceled Games

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I wanted to take Dad to Opening Day this year because he really likes going to baseball games and needs to get out of the house more :cry

MLB cancels games with no new deal in baseball disaster​

"JUPITER, Fla. — The Jupiter Summit concluded without peace.
The Major League Baseball Players Association notified MLB on Tuesday afternoon that it wouldn’t accept its last, best and final offer for a new collective bargaining agreement thereby missing the owners’ stated deadline to start the 2022 season on time. Commissioner Rob Manfred announced the cancelation of the first two series of the season, and with that, the docking of the players’ pay."
More
https://nypost.com/2022/03/01/mlb-deal-unlikely-with-league-union-on-brink-of-disaster/

Current MLB work stoppage doesn’t want to find itself in this bad company​

"It is a sad state of events that this can even be the subject of a column, let alone a list column, and yet here we are: on the doorstep of another deadline, verbal calisthenics replacing the kind we usually see this time of year.
Another shortened season is in our sights, and we have been here before. Oh, have we been here before — in every sport, 50 years and running since the first work stoppage that actually cost games, the 1972 MLB strike. Some have been more destructive than others. Here’s a look at the seven worst of the worst, and here’s hoping we don’t have another candidate for the list in the next 48 hours:"
More
https://nypost.com/2022/02/26/curre...esnt-want-to-find-itself-in-this-bad-company/

Commissioner's Letter to Fans
https://www.mlb.com/twins/news/featured/a-letter-to-baseball-fans

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Lastcall

All I can say about my favorite spots current situation - what a mess. Fan base has already been dwindling over the years, and this strike certainly wont help.

Go Angels and Dodgers, boo the rest of the state of California….….:biggrin. Growing up 5 miles from Angel stadium, attending dozens and dozens of games, its hard to not follow them, and Dodger stadium was about an hour away.

Psalm37v4

I do feel like the players are greedy. And odds are we probably won’t have a season. I heard the starting salary in MLB for a player is $600,000 but not sure about that. Even if it were $100,000 they make a lot more than most people. I know that they’re talented, but I think they are overpaid. There’s always minor league and college baseball, so I’ll watch that.

Lastcall

I do feel like the players are greedy. And odds are we probably won’t have a season. I heard the starting salary in MLB for a player is $600,000 but not sure about that. Even if it were $100,000 they make a lot more than most people. I know that they’re talented, but I think they are overpaid. There’s always minor league and college baseball, so I’ll watch that.
600K is not the starting salary, but its the minimum salary a player can make for one season. The average player salary is a little over 4 million per season.

Lastcall

Felt like crunching a few numbers to show how much the top earnings player gets paid. The below is the very top earner in Baseball, and very few are near his income, and most have to get by on a measly few million dollars per season.o_O

Max Scherzer is a starting pitcher, and is the highest paid player in the league and earns approx 43 million per season. Last season, he only pitched in 179 innings, which means he earned a little over 220k per EVERY inning he pitched. He made almost 4 times the average yearly income in the USA - in just ONE inning. To further put those numbers in perspective, The President of the USA only makes 400K per year.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Felt like crunching a few numbers to show how much the top earnings player gets paid. The below is the very top earner in Baseball, and very few are near his income, and most have to get by on a measly few million dollars per season.o_O

Max Scherzer is a starting pitcher, and is the highest paid player in the league and earns approx 43 million per season. Last season, he only pitched in 179 innings, which means he earned a little over 220k per EVERY inning he pitched. He made almost 4 times the average yearly income in the USA - in just ONE inning. To further put those numbers in perspective, The President of the USA only makes 400K per year.

What I got out of this post is the President's salary is too high. Why should public servants receive more money than the average American earns in wages?

Assuming Shoeless Joe coudn't afford shoes, we've come a long way since Shoeless Joe played ball.