Missouri House Approves Bible Class In Public Schools!

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Last edited:

Sowen

I’m not sure if this is a good thing because teaching the Bible is awesome if and only if it’s taught with sound doctrine in mind, which isn’t something that’s likely to happen in a public school.

The wording of the resolution allows anyone regardless of beliefs to teach the Bible, which means a follower of apostate/heretical Christianity, a Satanist, an atheist, et cetera can teach the Bible. What if the teacher imposes their own personal beliefs into the Bible class? I know it’s prohibited by law for them to do so, but the course description seems to imply this type of input from the teacher is needed.

“The resolution declares that the purpose of such courses is to teach students the biblical content, characters, and narratives of the Bible that are prerequisites to understanding contemporary society and culture,” the bill reads.
I would not want any child to be taught this by anyone who is not a Christian.

Lynn

I’m not sure if this is a good thing because teaching the Bible is awesome if and only if it’s taught with sound doctrine in mind, which isn’t something that’s likely to happen in a public school.

The wording of the resolution allows anyone regardless of beliefs to teach the Bible, which means a follower of apostate/heretical Christianity, a Satanist, an atheist, et cetera can teach the Bible. What if the teacher imposes their own personal beliefs into the Bible class? I know it’s prohibited by law for them to do so, but the course description seems to imply this type of input from the teacher is needed.
I would not want any child to be taught this by anyone who is not a Christian.
I have the same concerns you do. God's Word is a holy book, inspired by God Himself. Spiritual things cannot be understood by mere men. They are spiritually appraised.
Also, if the Bible is taught as literature or history, it can, of course, cause teachers and students to begin thinking about what's written there. I'm concerned that the teachers might be too politically correct and maybe even suggest the possibility of myth.

Batfan7

Yeah, the potential for both good and evil is here in this. If it is taught as truth (unlikely), or in a neutral fashion (by which I mean reading the text or reading of a classic Bible story without commentary), then this can be a good thing. As soon as the door is open for interpretation by anyone who can pick and choose, you can get negative results (an athiest gives stories of sin and evil with God's judgement and claims that's all there is. Or a universalist gives proverbs to teach how our "good teacher, Jesus" had such nice things to say if you want a feel-good book). This idea is probably too little too late, but I'm inclined to think there's more good than evil likely to come from this. God can definitely use this.

If it actually goes anywhere...

GotGrace

A bill introduced Rep.Ben Baker (R-Neosho) and passed by the Mo House would allow school districts to offer study of the Bible as an elective class. If approved by the Mo Senate and Gov. Mike Parson a Social Studies teacher would teach the course, and it would be up to individual school districts to offer the class an an elective. https://www.kmbc.com/article/missouri-house-approves-bill-bible-class-in-public-schools/26837732
I don’t know anything about the Governor. I would hope he can rightly divide the word of God.

Lynn

My take on this is...GOOD, we need to get people exposed to the word of God. Remember God says His Word will not return to Him void, and the Holy Spirit is there, and He can over ride anything an Atheist or whomever tries to spin it. Just might get some souls saved. God knows.
I would love for this to happen! I love God and His Word, but history has never shown it to be a good thing for 'government' to get involved in anything to do with Christianity. But, believe me, it would please me immensely if students (& teachers) came to the Savior as a result of reading His Word. I'd sing Hallelujah!

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I was at a high school program in rural North Carolina yesterday. The student speaker Prayed in the name of Jesus after talking a little bit about King Solomon. Then the principal spoke and also prayed in the name of Jesus.

I was well pleased.
So :D pleased also TT that we have a student speaker, and principal who are not ashamed of the :lightbulb name above all :lightbulb names Jesus!:amen