Minnesota middle school removes F’s from its grading system to fight systemic racism,

Rocky R.

My point, however, is to segregate those who want to learn away from those who seek to disrupt the learning process. The best course of action would be to homeschool. A Christian private school that filters its student body would be second.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I = Incomplete.
That means no credit for the incomplete paper, test, quiz, etc. Unless made up within 10 days (or whatever time, depending on circumstances)
Enough incompletes mean a class or course is incomplete.
In Minnesota, if enough classes/courses, or required class(es)/course(s), are incomplete, that means delayed graduation or summer school.

Here, the summer school teachers are generally excellent, classes are much smaller, and kids can get a lot of one-on-one help.

There are so many places for kids to get help here, alternative programs, tutoring, language and cultural services, etc., there's no good reason for anyone to not get a high school education here.

Unfortunately, wuhan virus has caused problems for a lot of schools, teachers, parents, and kids, so things are messed up right now, and a lot of programs and opportunities are simply not available. Some people and schools have been impacted a lot more than others. One thing when your kids can sit at home and do individual or group online courses, and quite another when there's no home internet access and the libraries are closed. Or having to wear a mask all day someplace where there's wifi, assuming the child has a netbook/tablet/smart phone to bring along. Churches, schools, and organizations have been helping, but still some big obstacles for some.

BTW, special ed does/can lead to a diploma, so kids with special needs can earn and graduate :smile A lot of kids in special ed (and their parents) work their fannies off for years. They, their parents, and their teachers have something truly special and worthy of celebrating when they graduate.

Ghoti Ichthus

I had a couple of Incompletes on my report card until I finished the work for the classes (within the established extended deadlines). Other than not having the credit for the courses, the Incompletes didn't help or hurt my GPA or progress toward graduation. This was many, many decades ago. Incompletes either remain Incompletes or they become F or NC (No Credit), depending on the school. Once an Incomplete became/becomes a NC, the class/course has to be repeated to get credit, but if it is repeated and passed, the NC drops off and the kid gets the grade(s) he or she earned. Similarly, a child can repeat a class/course to earn a higher grade. Kids that Get Bs are generally discouraged from repeating to try to get the As, but it's been known to happen. A repeated class/course grade can't be used to knock another kid off of Valedictorian or Salutatorian, though.

The State of Minnesota has always been very progressive about education, from Pre-school all the way through Graduate education. Some things, this is excellent, other things, not so much.

heisable2

Forgive me if this rattles anybody's nerves and sensibilities the wrong way, but first let me say that if you are a parent who is sick and tired of this then start HOMESCHOOLING your child! If you are a Christian parent then you are duty-bound by God, His Word, and your children to train your children in the way they should go. Now, what here's what I think might agitate some of you, and I apologize in advance >> Perhaps it is time for us to segregate children by ethnic group. Why? Well, speaking as a member of a small minority myself, Asian children on average exceed their peers academically. We don't say this out loud to anyone, but (and unless the parent is very bad as mine was) when we shop for a school for our children, yes we ask the teachers and administrators questions; but we also look at the ethnic makeup of the student body. If we see a bunch of black and Mexican children there, we cross that school off our list. Why? It's not racism; but the majority of children who engage in foolishness and become part of the criminal element come from these two ethnic groups. Granted, whites and Asian also have their share of criminals but at a much lower rate than blacks and browns. Until Jesus Christ returns, I imagine we'll keep doing this because the truth is "racist". This is also why some of us have established Chinese Christian schools in California. They attract mostly Asians, but anyone seeking enrollment must pass an entrance exam. Also, their records are scrutinized for bad behavior.

Compare Lowell High School in San Francisco with Mission High School in the same city. Both student bodies have the same opportunity in the same land of the free. Lowell High School's student body is mostly Chinese, and there is a fierce competition as well as peer pressure to excel academically and get ahead of others in this regard. Mission High School's student body is mostly Mexican. That school is like a prison -- fight, threats, and hits. Which one would you rather send your child to?

I was unfortunate enough to attend a school during the seventh and eighth grade where the majority of students only cared about being "cool", being in gangs, being fashionable, and thought that having straight F's was a rite of passage. They liked to bully those that refused to go along with them, or who sought to be different from them. They were -- you guessed it -- black and Mexican kids. It is sad, however, that the majority of Asian kids who attended that same school wanted to be like them. They fell into gang life, and some went to jail. Sure, everything happens for a reason. A lot of times that reason could be that you play stupid games and win stupid prizes.
I'm from San Francisco, the city. I went to Mercy high School which was an all girls catholic school. I remember when the new Lowell high School (the old Lowell was closed) was built and there was competition to get into the school. I'm not sure if they used lotteries or not but you were correct and that there are a lot of Chinese that go to that school. Mission high School used to be predominantly black. Balboa and polytechnic had a lot of blacks too. Galileo high School where my father taught had a lot of Asians. My father always had a hard time getting students to play football because Asians didn't like to play football.

To be honest with you I went to school with only two black students and maybe several Hispanic students. That was it. when I had to decide what language to take I took French rather than Spanish. Back then there weren't a whole lot of Hispanic people in my area. So I couldn't relate to either blacks or hispanics. I wish now that I had taken Spanish.

Mercy high School in San Francisco is now closed because they could no longer get the money needed to run the school. The tuition was very high and a lot of families could no longer afford it. That's a shame because it was a really good high school and a good college prep high school. Another good thing going for it was that the teachers were primarily nuns.

JustLikeHeaven

I thought it was going to say everyone gets an “E” for “effort”. What’s next? They take grades C-F out and all kids that don’t get A-B get E’s because it “isn’t fair to everyone” just like giving a medal to every kid just for participating in a sport? Where’s the challenge for these kids anymore? Where the competitiveness and will to try, triumph, and succeed?? Sickens me…

I’m so glad I don’t have kids this day in age.. :rolleyes:

Carl

Right after the hurricane messed up New Orleans They discovered lots of schools had been destroyed. So a number of schools were started in neighborhoods using office trailers. Two that I recall being written about specialized in music and the other specialized in math. So the students that liked music went to that school and the students that liked math went there. The students from both schools had sterling records.
This worked til the city got control of the school system again and shut them down.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
The schools have sure gone downhill on their grading system among other things. Also, promoting LGBTQ agenda trying to confuse children on what sex they are. They are how they were born as simple as that. 2 genders male or female. This racist nonsense has gone way out of line. All it does is cause division among people. :diablois the author of confusion so that is the spirit in operation.:fish doesn't judge people by the color of their skin.

alisani

Homeschool your kids and if your kids are grown and/or you have free time, consider helping to tutor homeschool kids or help organize Christian community homeschool groups, provide transportation, arrange socializing outings.

We need to be there for our children yes, but our responsibility extends way beyond our own families to each successive generation. Without it, our kids will be spiritually bankrupt, with little to no mental resilience and lacking critical thinking skills. Just the kind of people TPTB need to further their evil agenda.

Chet

I admit I did NOT read the initial article nor the replies.......yet, but can someone tell me how getting an "F" for a grade is being "racist"?? I can't for the life of me figure out how one's skin color has to do a letter grade, if you don't do the work, don't answer the questions correctly, then you get a "F" NOT because of your color, if it is color based, then why isn't there a white paint shortage?? What if all the student were to unite and paint themselves all black, would the schools fail them all as a result?

Carl

Used to be that you got out of 8th grade better than seniors now or even freshmen in college. Forget college for most. What we really need is trade schools. Most work can be handled by a sharp technician anyway! I really liked the electronic training that I received in the army.

DWB

I grew up in segregated Montgomery, Ala. in the 60's, the State began bussing blacks and rural kids in from all over the county to schools inside the city limits when I entered 5th grade in approximately 1968. I remember each class had about 4 or 5 blacks and we had no problems but thinking back the black kids were shy and kept to themselves. I would have done the same if the situation were reversed.

But my point is I think races are more comfortable around their own race. Don't believe it, just check most Churches on Sunday morning. The more comfortable one is the more likely they would be to learn. I would be willing to bet that grades for all children were higher during segregation. I know during my own high school and college years if I didn't understand what was going on in class while others did, I was usually too embarrassed to raise my hand and let everyone know. Just think about that in mixed race classes. No one wants to feel like they are stupid compared to others. I don't know the answer but passing kids who haven't earned it does no one any good.

NewWine2020

Sadly, dumb educators are raising a generation of dumb people. Of course, dumb citizens are what some in power would like to have. That way they could live their privileged lives while the voters just keep putting them back into power.

it seems very much like it would be in the bets interest of certain politicians if the citizenry was comprised of folks who were dumbed down, devoid of reasoning and basic skills which were replaced by woke propaganda which told them they were both descendants of victims and actual modern day victims who operated solely on emotion.

They want to create a class of helpless angry and emotional people easily moved to violence.

Ghoti Ichthus

On the good side, an I (Incomplete) means no credit for the course and the child can repeat it and have an opportunity to learn enough and perform well enough to earn a passing grade that reflects what he or she learns/knows, which would count toward graduation, and without GPA penalty of the earlier failure.

Social promotion via issuing passing grades when they're not earned doesn't do students any favors and is why some HS graduates are functionally illiterate.

Another plus of the new system is teachers don't get penalized for having failing/very low performing students count against them, so less incentive for grade inflation based on no failing grades being counted in a teacher's students' aggregate GPA. There would be incentive to give more kids an I that could benefit from repeating a course due to very low, albeit passing, grades, though. I don't know if this would be good/bad or fair/unfair. If a class is an important prerequisite for other mandatory classes and/or has a significant impact on real-life as an adult, perhaps an I for a student only earning a D-/D/D+ would be beneficial. Consultation with Parents, Principal, and School Counselor on this would be important, though.

In Minnesota, a student amassing enough Incompletes and/or failing grades triggers intervention and assessment for counseling, tutoring, and social services, and it's been this way for a long time. Graduation rates and helping the student two biggest reasons. Incompletes and failing/near-failing grades are symptoms of other issues that need to be addressed if the child is to be successful as an adult. Sometimes the school can help enough, but often, Social Services and other agencies need to get contacted and involved.

Last edited:

Carl

If one looks at the goals of an Open Society Program and it sure looks like one of the facets is what is happening in schools world wide.

daygo

I thought it was going to say everyone gets an “E” for “effort”. What’s next? They take grades C-F out and all kids that don’t get A-B get E’s because it “isn’t fair to everyone” just like giving a medal to every kid just for participating in a sport? Where’s the challenge for these kids anymore? Where the competitiveness and will to try, triumph, and succeed?? Sickens me…

I’m so glad I don’t have kids this day in age.. :rolleyes:
Probably everyone gets a,b,or c grade and no failures .

Kaily12

Plus, college years are unforgettable, sleepless nights, parties, crushes, etc. We should enjoy it. I am now in my last year, and I have learned how to have more time to have fun, I just use the paper writing services reviews whenever I have an assignment as it writes it quickly and qualitatively. And in this way I don't stress about getting bad marks.

Ghoti Ichthus

My point, however, is to segregate those who want to learn away from those who seek to disrupt the learning process. The best course of action would be to homeschool. A Christian private school that filters its student body would be second.

How should a private Christian school "filter" its student body? Some students, who have abysmal citizenship marks, terrible grades, numerous suspensions, etc. in Public School do perfectly well in Christian and Jewish schools. Sometimes a whack across the knuckles with a ruler by a teacher in a long black (or brown) robe is all it takes to get someone's attention (traditional Catholic, Orthodox, Copt, Lutheran, and some Jewish schools :lol Such schools also have other ways of enforcing discipline/encouraging good behavior, including appropriate manual labor in the church/school/convent/monastery building, garden, or cemetery, and rewarding good behavior and high performance with Acolyte, Scripture Reading, Choir, chapel maintenance, etc. privileges/duties (and child-favored duties in the garden, etc.). Bible-based counseling and teaching helps a child understand Law and Gospel, sin, God, and forgiveness, and he or she behaves much better, especially with reinforcement.

FWIW, it's harder to exclude or eject a disruptive child (or parent) from a private home school group, especially if $$$ has been paid for curriculum, books, teacher(s), etc., and especially if the child is not an only child in the group [sigh]

Rocky R.

How should a private Christian school "filter" its student body? Some students, who have abysmal citizenship marks, terrible grades, numerous suspensions, etc. in Public School do perfectly well in Christian and Jewish schools. Sometimes a whack across the knuckles with a ruler by a teacher in a long black (or brown) robe is all it takes to get someone's attention (traditional Catholic, Orthodox, Copt, Lutheran, and some Jewish schools :lol Such schools also have other ways of enforcing discipline/encouraging good behavior, including appropriate manual labor in the church/school/convent/monastery building, garden, or cemetery, and rewarding good behavior and high performance with Acolyte, Scripture Reading, Choir, chapel maintenance, etc. privileges/duties (and child-favored duties in the garden, etc.). Bible-based counseling and teaching helps a child understand Law and Gospel, sin, God, and forgiveness, and he or she behaves much better, especially with reinforcement.

FWIW, it's harder to exclude or eject a disruptive child (or parent) from a private home school group, especially if $$$ has been paid for curriculum, books, teacher(s), etc., and especially if the child is not an only child in the group [sigh]
The same way schools over in Asia do it -- through entrance exams and correct counseling.