Minnesota middle school removes F’s from its grading system to fight systemic racism,

Cloud Watcher

https://patriots4life.com/minnesota...racism-allows-students-to-retake-failed-tests

Sunrise Park Middle School in White Bear Lake announced that teachers would no longer give “F” grades to students. For the 2021-22 school year, test scores of 59.49% are no longer “F” or failing grades, but are now considered a grade of “I.” No matter how low the score is – including 0% – any grade below 50% is automatically raised to 50% based on the new grading system for the school that serves students in grades sixth through eighth.

An example from the equity audit was the grading disparities among students of color. Grading can be one of the largest areas in which systemic racism and inequities are perpetuated. Dr. Kazmierczak and WBLAS believe grades should be a measure of what a student knows and has mastered in a given course.

More at link.

If grades are supposed to measure what a student knows, how does raising the score accurately reflect their lack of knowledge? On an essay test, the grading could be subjective, but on a true/false, multiple choice test the grading would be objective. And aren't they insulting "people of color" by assuming their race determines their cognitive abilities, so they need the bar set lower?

Rocky R.

It's because they want slaves and cattle, not citizens.

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. - Hosea 4:6

A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

OnlyHim

In other news General Motors announced today that they will be removing rear facing mirrors in all of their 2022 production cars because they don’t want drivers to see where they came from…

Im sorry I just can’t come up with anything more sarcastic.

Cloud Watcher

In a different article I saw that the national school board association president sent a letter to the biden administration, wanting the patriot act used against parents who are being called terrorists because they are showing up at school board meetings, protesting against the garbage curriculum being foisted on the children.

They seem to forget that parents are their employers. If the parents weren't enrolling their children in public schools, teachers wouldn't have a job. Drop the race and sexual perversion agenda, and get back to basics. Make sure Bill and Betty can read, write, spell, use proper grammar, count, do arithmetic, learn geography, science, national history and the constitution. Throw in some art, music, and exercise, and there should be enough to keep the munchkins busy during school hours.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
All I can think of when I see this is reading about how Frederick Douglass had to keep his studies secret. His slave owner didn't want educated slaves because being uneducated made it easier keep them slaves.

If I were a black parent in Minnesota I would be livid. At the end of the day though, it's just Democrats being Democrats. They opposed desegregation, and they haven't changed one iota. Gotta keep the black people in their place and voting "D" no matter what the policy on that Democrat plantation. And don't you dare see them as a human instead of a color.

:mad:

heisable2

https://patriots4life.com/minnesota...racism-allows-students-to-retake-failed-tests

Sunrise Park Middle School in White Bear Lake announced that teachers would no longer give “F” grades to students. For the 2021-22 school year, test scores of 59.49% are no longer “F” or failing grades, but are now considered a grade of “I.” No matter how low the score is – including 0% – any grade below 50% is automatically raised to 50% based on the new grading system for the school that serves students in grades sixth through eighth.

An example from the equity audit was the grading disparities among students of color. Grading can be one of the largest areas in which systemic racism and inequities are perpetuated. Dr. Kazmierczak and WBLAS believe grades should be a measure of what a student knows and has mastered in a given course.

More at link.

If grades are supposed to measure what a student knows, how does raising the score accurately reflect their lack of knowledge? On an essay test, the grading could be subjective, but on a true/false, multiple choice test the grading would be objective. And aren't they insulting "people of color" by assuming their race determines their cognitive abilities, so they need the bar set lower?
When I was teaching I really tried not to give any F grades. There's a lot that goes into a grade and each student was dealt with individually. There was no excuse for not doing any work at all but I tried to give some slack where I could. When I graded a paper I also did not give less than 50% because 50% is an F already. Why dig it deeper and make the child feel awful?

So ultimately at report card time I made every effort to make sure that low performing students would get at least a D minus. The parents were aware of how I graded. Is one of their child to do well and to get the help they needed.
It just doesn't work when you keep moving children forward through the grade system. There's no excuse for a 12th grader not to be able to read or do basic figures.

It worked for me and may not work well for others. I'm now retired and I don't have to mess with all of this garbage that's going out there in the classroom. I feel sorry for the kids. I feel sorry for the teachers who have to put up with it and I feel sorry for the parents who have to deal with a mess as well.
There was a movie years and years ago and I know I'm dating myself, but it was called Blackboard Jungle in 1955. The actor was Glenn Ford. That was over 50 years ago. there was a bunch of trouble back then too. Note I did not watch it in 1955. I was too young. My father was a high school teacher and we saw it on our black and white TV.
Have a most blessed day. Too bad we can't hug our students anymore.

heisable2

More at link.

When I was teaching I really tried not to give any F grades. There's a lot that goes into a grade and each student was dealt with individually. There was no excuse for not doing any work at all but I tried to give some slack where I could. When I graded a paper I also did not give less than 50% because 50% is an F already. Why dig it deeper and make the child feel awful?

So ultimately at report card time I made every effort to make sure that low performing students would get at least a D minus. The parents were aware of how I graded. They wanted their
child to do well and to get the help they needed.
It just doesn't work when you keep moving children forward through the grade system. There's no excuse for a 12th grader not to be able to read or do basic figures.

It worked for me and may not work well for others. I'm now retired and I don't have to mess with all of this garbage that's going out there in the classroom. I feel sorry for the kids. I feel sorry for the teachers who have to put up with it and I feel sorry for the parents who have to deal with a mess as well.
There was a movie years and years ago and I know I'm dating myself, but it was called Blackboard Jungle in 1955. The actor was Glenn Ford. That was over 50 years ago. there was a bunch of trouble back then too. Note I did not watch it in 1955. I was too young. My father was a high school teacher and we saw it on our black and white TV.
Have a most blessed day. Too bad we can't hug our students anymore

depserv

These things neutralize the purpose in giving grades in the first place. Schools should educate and test kids both; the students' capabilities, intelligence, and work ethic are measured by grades. I'm sure those grades are very imperfect, but they are still useful. And they should be an incentive for kids to do their best. These purposes are poorly served by watering down the grading system.

Being put into a position, whether it's a high level college or a job requiring certain capabilities, that you are not qualified for, can not possibly be a good thing. So how is the student who deserved an F served by being given a grade he did not deserve? And how is society in general served by that?

I think we will be seeing more and more of this. and somewhere along the line there will be a grading system for wokeness (maybe there already is), since indoctrination now seems to be the primary purpose in schools, with actual education kind of a side effect.

Rocky R.

With the way things are going, pretty soon for American children -- and perhaps during the Tribulation hour -- K-12 students will only go to school to pick up girls, play video games, and the only thing they'll learn is how great the "supreme leader" is, and all his accomplishments. Granted, they may have break time for shenanigans, orgies, and whatever, but reading, writing, and arithmetic will be the privilege of the rich. Maybe this is going too far, but who knows? During the Millennium, we'll have to get rid of the video games.

crunchymama

More at link.

My DH is black, and he thought this. He was extremely insulted with the thought that black students should be graded differently.

Moses06

In other words, "minorities, we don't believe you're capable of achieving anything at all".

Minorities overwhelmingly voting Democrat in America is the most pristine example of the effectiveness of propaganda in perhaps world history.

heisable2

So, the way I see it, "D" is the new "F".
Okay I may not have made myself clear about the F grade. I taught special ed in a self-contained classroom. And I also taught special ed science and math with just special ed students who also were English as a second language. I was never trying to dilute grades but to me 50% is an F as 15% is. So why did the whole deeper. Because they were special ed students we had to handle them a little bit differently. Some had behavior problems, some had social problems. I did the best I could with these students and with a good dose of encouragement they all pass the class. Students don't turn in any of their work they certainly are not going to get a d minus they will get an F. So I hope I was able to explain a little bit better. Just depends on the type of students that you have and how determined of a teacher you are to help these students who need help.

So no ...a D is not a new F.

I've been away from teaching for 5 years and a lot has happened in that time.

DWB

Right! I would be so furious! I guess now we should just give everyone an "E" for effort. There will be no incentive for kids to do better, since they cannot be given a failing grade. smh
Most of the left are trained to be victims, so if their kid gets an "F", it's not the kids or the parents fault, and it's simply not fair for other kids to get good grades while their kid doesn't. Facts and logic don't enter into the situation. This thought process is used over and over regardless of what the issue may be. If you criticize the thought process you are a racists. This is the truth like it or not, This truth is why this nation is doomed. You can't fight insanity. The stupider the people become the worse things will get.

Rocky R.

Forgive me if this rattles anybody's nerves and sensibilities the wrong way, but first let me say that if you are a parent who is sick and tired of this then start HOMESCHOOLING your child! If you are a Christian parent then you are duty-bound by God, His Word, and your children to train your children in the way they should go. Now, what here's what I think might agitate some of you, and I apologize in advance >> Perhaps it is time for us to segregate children by ethnic group. Why? Well, speaking as a member of a small minority myself, Asian children on average exceed their peers academically. We don't say this out loud to anyone, but (and unless the parent is very bad as mine was) when we shop for a school for our children, yes we ask the teachers and administrators questions; but we also look at the ethnic makeup of the student body. If we see a bunch of black and Mexican children there, we cross that school off our list. Why? It's not racism; but the majority of children who engage in foolishness and become part of the criminal element come from these two ethnic groups. Granted, whites and Asian also have their share of criminals but at a much lower rate than blacks and browns. Until Jesus Christ returns, I imagine we'll keep doing this because the truth is "racist". This is also why some of us have established Chinese Christian schools in California. They attract mostly Asians, but anyone seeking enrollment must pass an entrance exam. Also, their records are scrutinized for bad behavior.

Compare Lowell High School in San Francisco with Mission High School in the same city. Both student bodies have the same opportunity in the same land of the free. Lowell High School's student body is mostly Chinese, and there is a fierce competition as well as peer pressure to excel academically and get ahead of others in this regard. Mission High School's student body is mostly Mexican. That school is like a prison -- fight, threats, and hits. Which one would you rather send your child to?

I was unfortunate enough to attend a school during the seventh and eighth grade where the majority of students only cared about being "cool", being in gangs, being fashionable, and thought that having straight F's was a rite of passage. They liked to bully those that refused to go along with them, or who sought to be different from them. They were -- you guessed it -- black and Mexican kids. It is sad, however, that the majority of Asian kids who attended that same school wanted to be like them. They fell into gang life, and some went to jail. Sure, everything happens for a reason. A lot of times that reason could be that you play stupid games and win stupid prizes.