Minimalist

Misty S

We do not have any mortgages etc as far as that goes. I used to be a pack rat. I would hoard anything. I got married and was inspired to really clean it up. Now everything is put in a very exact place. The fat has been trimmed way down and it is nice knowing where the fountain pens and car keys are every single time.

Last edited:

RobinB

I love my parents but when the time comes I am left to deal with my mom’s tendencies to hoard it is going to be very unpleasant. And she is not organized with it so everything will have to be carefully sorted through so as not to throw out something important. I am in my 50’s and am glad that living minimal will not force my kids to have to wade through things long past their worth. Now my craft room....sorry kids I am working on and hopefully will get it manageable

I've read there are companies you can hire to come in and sort and get rid of stuff for you. I think I will use one, after getting my mom's mementos out of the house. Hope won't be around to even worry about that.

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
The idea of being a minimalist is very appealing to me, but I'm a clutter bug, too. I rarely shop in stores, and I don't go to yard sales, yet I still manage to accumulate things which have special meaning to me. Hoping that Jesus takes us soon and this issue will no longer exist!

athenasius

I’m a Minimalist, have been for years.
My wardrobe consists of twenty things, including my four pairs of boots. If I ever buy anything new then something has to go. Picking an outfit to wear is a breeze because all the pieces work together. I go through everything about once a week and if it’s not used or hasn’t been used in a while it goes into a giveaway box which is destined for the thrift store.
At one time I had lots of art supplies but then realized that I wasn’t really using most of it, so I donated a good deal of that. I did keep my most favorite of course.
Dishes and pans are also very minimal, as is decor.
It certainly makes for fast and easy housecleaning :)

Here are some rules I go by :
The 90/90 rule ~
If you haven’t used it in the past 90 days, or plan to use it within 90 days, Toss it.

The 20/20 rule ~
If you can drive somewhere in 20 minutes or less and buy it for 20 or less to replace it, then you can get rid of it.

:hug
Another minimalist chiming in. I love those rules you got there Bron, gonna copy that.

I do a seasonal wardrobe capsule. For fun this year I started doing the project 333 capsules. I've always done something like that but never followed along with that challenge. After the thyroid surgery I decided to clear some more stuff out and try 33 items for 3 months (thats where the 333 comes in). It's surprising what it's taught me and I was already on the minimalist side.

In the last few years with George's brain tumour saga (he is fine, on a long term drug that suppresses the non cancerous tumour from growing) and my own auto immune things getting worse plus getting the last of the thyroid out, I realized I'd gotten piled up so I began a serious slow purge thru the apartment from the fall of 2019.

Letting go more with each round. Before Christmas I decided to see if I could manage completely clear kitchen counters (just the coffee pot, and a small dish liquid pump bottle by the sink) so I got rid of more excess, and put my toaster on it's tray plus some other small appliances and stuff in the cupboards. I LOVE THE RESULT.

So does George surprisingly because he hates change and always gets nervous when I declutter. I figured he would buck and kick a bit getting the toaster out each morning or pulling the shoebox of vitamins out to dole them out. I don't toss his stuff out, but it all just unsettles him. Lately he's been tossing stuff out on his own now too.

Last summer I think it was I got rid of 86 books which is a big thing for me. More again in the fall when I decided I needed room for pantry items, and the bookshelves made more sense than the limited space in our apartment kitchen.

Feels great. I rarely feel like I made a mistake although I've taken to using a "holding tank" as I call it which is a spot in the guest closet for things that I'm not sure yet that I'm ready to part with. A few months in there and I either pick them back out or they go out with my next run to the Salvation Army. And that happens along with my usual seasonal wardrobe capsule.

And I agree, it makes cleaning and organizing what's left so much easier. And it's super helpful with my fatigue levels which come and go, sometimes getting quite bad.

cheeky200386

I hate clutter in all forms. Even my email has to be cleaned out daily because it gives me stress having unread messages. I have a handful of shoes and used to have too much clothes but I've cut that down significantly. I just don't like to think too much on what to wear. I usually just wear the same outfits over and over until they get holes and can't be repaired. Now with a baby, we have so much stuff for him (diapers, pumping accessories, bottles, burp clothes, too many gifted blankets, etc) but I know it will pass. My husband is even more extreme than me. He can't bear to have more than one of anything.

My area of struggle is my makeup. I've accumulated way too much that it gives me stress. I'm working on using things up and only repurchasing the bare minimum. I just love having a lot of open spaces.

Channah

I hate clutter in all forms. Even my email has to be cleaned out daily because it gives me stress having unread messages. I have a handful of shoes and used to have too much clothes but I've cut that down significantly. I just don't like to think too much on what to wear. I usually just wear the same outfits over and over until they get holes and can't be repaired. Now with a baby, we have so much stuff for him (diapers, pumping accessories, bottles, burp clothes, too many gifted blankets, etc) but I know it will pass. My husband is even more extreme than me. He can't bear to have more than one of anything.

My area of struggle is my makeup. I've accumulated way too much that it gives me stress. I'm working on using things up and only repurchasing the bare minimum. I just love having a lot of open spaces.
I feel you on the make up. One time I bought 28 Charlotte Tilbury lipstick pillow talk. I’m still using them,

athenasius

Cheeky I threw out some shoes (donated really) and I took a clear plastic shoebox and created a "holding tank" for powder makeup I want to hang onto for a while, but I don't want it in my daily space. I put everything I'm not using daily or weekly in the shoebox and it's going onto the shelf in the top of my guest room closet (my clothing holding tank zone). I have had a lot more fatigue lately (a mild brush with diverticulitis plus my usual auto immune stuff kicking up) and I wanted a makeup capsule for the spring season to go with my clothing capsule. April 1- June 30.

What remains in my 2 small dressing table drawers is my daily stuff that I just love and can't be without even for 3 months. It's my makeup capsule.

It'll keep me getting up and dressed fast, less decision fatigue and in 3 months I can re evaluate what I want to keep in holding, if I've gone in there to get something back out etc. I toss liquids and creams on schedule.

I have some lipsticks that are going soon because they are nearly 3 years old and I've gone on to other favourites. edited to add @Channah they are my Charlotte T's in Pillow Talk, and Very Victoria. Love those 2. And Marc Jacobs Slow Burn plus that Maybelline Lip Ink Crayon in Lead the Way which is kind of a combo of those 3.

Last edited:

Channah

Another minimalist chiming in. I love those rules you got there Bron, gonna copy that.

I do a seasonal wardrobe capsule. For fun this year I started doing the project 333 capsules. I've always done something like that but never followed along with that challenge. After the thyroid surgery I decided to clear some more stuff out and try 33 items for 3 months (thats where the 333 comes in). It's surprising what it's taught me and I was already on the minimalist side.

In the last few years with George's brain tumour saga (he is fine, on a long term drug that suppresses the non cancerous tumour from growing) and my own auto immune things getting worse plus getting the last of the thyroid out, I realized I'd gotten piled up so I began a serious slow purge thru the apartment from the fall of 2019.

Letting go more with each round. Before Christmas I decided to see if I could manage completely clear kitchen counters (just the coffee pot, and a small dish liquid pump bottle by the sink) so I got rid of more excess, and put my toaster on it's tray plus some other small appliances and stuff in the cupboards. I LOVE THE RESULT.

So does George surprisingly because he hates change and always gets nervous when I declutter. I figured he would buck and kick a bit getting the toaster out each morning or pulling the shoebox of vitamins out to dole them out. I don't toss his stuff out, but it all just unsettles him. Lately he's been tossing stuff out on his own now too.

Last summer I think it was I got rid of 86 books which is a big thing for me. More again in the fall when I decided I needed room for pantry items, and the bookshelves made more sense than the limited space in our apartment kitchen.

Feels great. I rarely feel like I made a mistake although I've taken to using a "holding tank" as I call it which is a spot in the guest closet for things that I'm not sure yet that I'm ready to part with. A few months in there and I either pick them back out or they go out with my next run to the Salvation Army. And that happens along with my usual seasonal wardrobe capsule.

And I agree, it makes cleaning and organizing what's left so much easier. And it's super helpful with my fatigue levels which come and go, sometimes getting quite bad.
I need to declutter some more,

cheeky200386

Cheeky I threw out some shoes (donated really) and I took a clear plastic shoebox and created a "holding tank" for powder makeup I want to hang onto for a while, but I don't want it in my daily space. I put everything I'm not using daily or weekly in the shoebox and it's going onto the shelf in the top of my guest room closet (my clothing holding tank zone). I have had a lot more fatigue lately (a mild brush with diverticulitis plus my usual auto immune stuff kicking up) and I wanted a makeup capsule for the spring season to go with my clothing capsule. April 1- June 30.

What remains in my 2 small dressing table drawers is my daily stuff that I just love and can't be without even for 3 months. It's my makeup capsule.

It'll keep me getting up and dressed fast, less decision fatigue and in 3 months I can re evaluate what I want to keep in holding, if I've gone in there to get something back out etc. I toss liquids and creams on schedule.

I have some lipsticks that are going soon because they are nearly 3 years old and I've gone on to other favourites. edited to add @Channah they are my Charlotte T's in Pillow Talk, and Very Victoria. Love those 2. And Marc Jacobs Slow Burn plus that Maybelline Lip Ink Crayon in Lead the Way which is kind of a combo of those 3.
Sounds like a good idea. I may have to do something like that and just keep my daily makeup in my room. I should go through it and either throw away or gift what I'm just not using.

Kerbluey

I’ve found that it’s an ongoing process. I originally decluttered then circled back a few times to fine tune the decluttering. Each time I find a little less clutter, but I’m still doing it. I’ve got a nice big table in my craft room. I’ve managed to fill it up and am back to trying to craft in a little 18-inch section, lol. I have 18 inches on a table that 6 feet long!

XSLaura

I’ve found that it’s an ongoing process. I originally decluttered then circled back a few times to fine tune the decluttering. Each time I find a little less clutter, but I’m still doing it. I’ve got a nice big table in my craft room. I’ve managed to fill it up and am back to trying to craft in a little 18-inch section, lol. I have 18 inches on a table that 6 feet long!
I totally agree! A friend of mine just started her declutter recently. She asked me how it feels to be done and I told her it is a journey and I find that the longer I walk it the more I have to make sure to do maintenance

ChildofLight

I’ve decided today, I think I need to minimalize (that should be a word :confused:) my meals somehow. Going to have to give it some thought. I thought I was doing good but I think I can do better. Breakfast is already minimal since toast, jelly, and milk since weather warming up. Lunch has been egg salad sandwiches, no chips. Hmm maybe I’m just tired of cooking.:confused:

athenasius

I’ve decided today, I think I need to minimalize (that should be a word :confused:) my meals somehow. Going to have to give it some thought. I thought I was doing good but I think I can do better. Breakfast is already minimal since toast, jelly, and milk since weather warming up. Lunch has been egg salad sandwiches, no chips. Hmm maybe I’m just tired of cooking.:confused:
I don’t know if this will help but I do what I call my 5&5 menu plan. I do a quick tally of the freezer and the veggie drawer. Out of that I pick 5 meats and 5 veggies on a list. In the morning I pick a meat to thaw by 9 am (sometimes after dinner the night before) and a veggie.

I can figure out the recipe later on in the day or I just bake whatever it is on a foil lined jelly roll pan with sides. Or I spray Pam on the pan while holding it up in my open dishwasher so the oily spray doesn’t mess up my kitchen. Easy cleanups.

The veggies get washed, cut and put in my electric steamer to sit out till dinner when I press the start button. Or washed, cut, tossed in oil and seasoning in another foil lined pan for roasting alongside dinner.

The number 5 works most weeks because of leftovers or takeout.

I don’t do carbs but I do have rice and instant mash potatoes along with gluten free pasta for nights when we want some carbs with dinner. I’m gluten free by necessity but your mileage may vary. Cake mix, jello and Bisquick for fast desserts or oven fry chicken and fish.

I have tinned soups and tomatoes plus tomato paste on hand in the pantry plus chopped garlic and fresh ginger and frozen mushrooms (I slice and freeze all those) on hand with fr stir fry veggies so it’s easy to make Italian or Chinese with whatever meat I want. Onions, apples, orange juice, bottled lemon juice, mayo, soy sauce, cornstarch and olive oil with herbs and spices are on hand.

sugar, brown and white and gluten free flour plus baking soda, salt, baking powder and vinegar. That is my minimalist pantry in a nutshell.

Last edited:

ChildofLight

I don’t know if this will help but I do what I call my 5&5 menu plan. I do a quick tally of the freezer and the veggie drawer. Out of that I pick 5 meats and 5 veggies on a list. In the morning I pick a meat to thaw by 9 am (sometimes after dinner the night before) and a veggie.

I can figure out the recipe later on in the day or I just bake whatever it is on a foil lined jelly roll pan with sides. Or I spray Pam on the pan while holding it up in my open dishwasher so the oily spray doesn’t mess up my kitchen. Easy cleanups.

The veggies get washed, cut and put in my electric steamer to sit out till dinner when I press the start button. Or washed, cut, tossed in oil and seasoning in another foil lined pan for roasting alongside dinner.

The number 5 works most weeks because of leftovers or takeout.

I don’t do carbs but I do have rice and instant mash potatoes along with gluten free pasta for nights when we want some carbs with dinner. I’m gluten free by necessity but your mileage may vary. Cake mix, jello and Bisquick for fast desserts or oven fry chicken and fish.

I have tinned soups and tomatoes plus tomato paste on hand in the pantry plus chopped garlic and fresh ginger and frozen mushrooms (I slice and freeze all those) on hand with fr stir fry veggies so it’s easy to make Italian or Chinese with whatever meat I want. Onions, apples, orange juice, bottled lemon juice, mayo, soy sauce, cornstarch and olive oil with herbs and spices are on hand.

sugar, brown and white and gluten free flour plus baking soda, salt, baking powder and vinegar. That is my minimalist pantry in a nutshell.
I have started roasting vegetables more and leave room on it for the meat on the same pan. My best friend for that had become parchment paper.
I should do the stir fries more.
Since I currently have a lot of eggs, maybe some scrambled with added variety of ingredients, potatoes and onions since garden is in.

athenasius

I have started roasting vegetables more and leave room on it for the meat on the same pan. My best friend for that had become parchment paper.
I should do the stir fries more.
Since I currently have a lot of eggs, maybe some scrambled with added variety of ingredients, potatoes and onions since garden is in.
I should try using parchment for that too, thanks for the great idea!

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I've thought about it, but the sheer volume of stuff to go through is daunting! :0_O Dh also has a lot of stuff that he refuses to sort, because he "doesn't know where to start." Our youngest daughter would find the idea of "minimalist" as blasphemous. Her room is a riot of color and knick knacks. Think Victorian, baroque, and rococo style.

I have a feeling that my life would be a lot less stressful if I had a lot less stuff though.

Easy way to declutter (carton method)

Pick a room, any room. Bring in several cartons labeled on top and all 4 sides (one for each room in the house, plus a few others): put away in this room, son room, daughter room, master bedroom, master bath, parent room, kitchen, bathroom, garage, living room, laundry room, furnace room, throw away, garage sale, church, give away, decide later, unknown pieces/parts, etc. Go through the room and everything either remains where it is (if it's where it's supposed to be), or it goes into one of the cartons. Put away everything in the carton for that one room. Remove the cartons, add one for the room you just decluttered, and repeat. After you have gone through all the rooms in the house, put everything away that belongs in the house (likely one carton for each room, some of which will be fuller than others). Then move on to the garage. After everything has been sorted into cartons, put the items away that belong in the garage, and take cartons inside to the proper rooms and put everything away. The basement and attic might have to be done after the main part of the house, but before the garage.

The small moving boxes from Lowes or Home Depot work well for this. Use a fat magic marker to mark the cartons, and make sure the cartons are assembled correctly. The nice things about this are you can stop anytime you want and come back later to resume without missing a beat, and each child/occupant of the house can both declutter his/her room/area and later put everything away that ends up in the carton for his/her room/area.

It's important to have the "this room" box so putting stuff away doesn't become overwhelming to the person decluttering/sorting.

Yes, a pain to have so many boxes in a room, but far easier and faster to sort as you go and only handle things once, and there's instant and ongoing gratification of progress as things get put in the boxes. Also important to have those couple of boxes that allow for later decisions, possibly with someone else in the family, and also an unknown pieces/parts, because you will find things that obviously belong to something/somehwere, but you don't know where/for what, and having that box prevents procrastination, loss, side-tracking, etc.

Good luck!

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Maximalist - BOOKS!!!

So long as there are enough (very sturdy and well-anchored) book shelves, the books are properly labeled and catalogued, properly ordered on the shelves, and properly cared for (periodically dusted/vacuumed, etc.), there's no such thing as too many books, because BOOKS ARE FRIENDS :smile and one can never have too many friends :smile