Minimalist

XSLaura

Are there any sisters here also striving to live a minimalist lifestyle?

my own journey started about seven years ago when I was going through difficult family situation. While I have had my ups and downs as I strive to live more minimal and frugal I feel I am moving along pretty well.

I have seen a lot of benefits to our frugal and minimalist lifestyle. Our only consumer debt is our home and we are set to pay that off early. I don’t waste time losing things. Stuff is just that to me and if someone needs something I have letting go of it is easy. Housework is a breeze because I am not moving mountains of things around to clean. And I feel like this lifestyle has helped me focus on my faith more. So I am definitely happy about moving my life in this direction.

My struggle is craft supplies. I am multi-crafrural so seem to have an abundance of just in case things caught usually on sale. My main craft is cross-stitch and I have more than I will ever stitch. While I have slowed purchasing I still indulge too often. Any fellow minimalist who are crafters have and advice?

my adult daughter lives with us and while she and my husband also are pretty minimal in most areas she too has the crafting bug. We share a craft room and it is the only room in our home that is in now way minimal.

Kerbluey

I’ve been intrigued and attracted to minimalism. In fact, I’m packing now for when our house is finished and plan on going more minimalist once I’m moved and unpacking. I’m no good at decor anyway.

But craft supplies!!! I too do different crafts and have stuff all over. Jewelry making is especially chaotic although mine is fairly organized. I looked last night for a chain I know I bought. I’ve no idea where I put it! Its so hard to organize jewelry supplies. My craft room in the new house will have shelving in the closet. I hope this will work.

XSLaura

I’ve been intrigued and attracted to minimalism. In fact, I’m packing now for when our house is finished and plan on going more minimalist once I’m moved and unpacking. I’m no good at decor anyway.

But craft supplies!!! I too do different crafts and have stuff all over. Jewelry making is especially chaotic although mine is fairly organized. I looked last night for a chain I know I bought. I’ve no idea where I put it! Its so hard to organize jewelry supplies. My craft room in the new house will have shelving in the closet. I hope this will work.

arg I don’t post a lot on this forum and forget to hit the reply button . Obviously post #3 was in response to your post. I will get this forum figured out yet!

ShilohRose

I've thought about it, but the sheer volume of stuff to go through is daunting! :0_O Dh also has a lot of stuff that he refuses to sort, because he "doesn't know where to start." Our youngest daughter would find the idea of "minimalist" as blasphemous. Her room is a riot of color and knick knacks. Think Victorian, baroque, and rococo style.

I have a feeling that my life would be a lot less stressful if I had a lot less stuff though.

XSLaura

I've thought about it, but the sheer volume of stuff to go through is daunting! :0_O Dh also has a lot of stuff that he refuses to sort, because he "doesn't know where to start." Our youngest daughter would find the idea of "minimalist" as blasphemous. Her room is a riot of color and knick knacks. Think Victorian, baroque, and rococo style.

I have a feeling that my life would be a lot less stressful if I had a lot less stuff though.
In the beginning it can definitely feel overwhelming. I found it helped to just focus on a small task like a drawer in a cabinet. That was usually doable. Then I would move on to another area and as I went it gained momentum and became easier.
My mother is a hoarder of stuff. The previously mentioned hard time I went through also greatly impacted her more than myself and it kicked things into high gear for her. My heart hurts for her as she saves every little thing somehow thinking that helps her hang on to memories and happier times. But in honesty it doesn’t and it just continues to entrap her. Watching that my entire life has likely been one of the reasons I gravitated towards minimalism

Jan51

I never thought of that term before. I think in terms of, a simple life. I have never been obsessed with things or with money. My parents were frugal and I grew up in a home that was neat and uncluttered, not loaded with stuff. I never had much money or lived in large houses, both of which tend to lead to accumulation. Living in small houses and moving every several years early in marriage set me up to keep things simple, uncluttered, and not to accumulate. Then we spent many summers working away from home and living in a camp trailer, so again I learned to keep it simple. My decor is simple. I am frugal and my husband often teased me about being a "thrifty Mennonite" (my family background).

My husband recently passed away--my future will be either staying here in our home and getting a job (since I had to quit working when he started going downhill), or moving near a son. I need to keep it simple so I can manage either arrangement. I have been spending my first few months alone in going through everything, inside and out (5 acres, horse tack, tool shed, etc) and organizing and paring things down to just what I might need and no more. I've thrown away, given away, and have a yard sale list. It gives me a good feeling to simplify my life. I also like simple cooking and dislike recipes with many steps and utensils.

So I guess that makes me a minimalist! I don't craft but have done some sewing and keep a couple boxes of supplies.

Kerbluey

In the beginning it can definitely feel overwhelming. I found it helped to just focus on a small task like a drawer in a cabinet. That was usually doable. Then I would move on to another area and as I went it gained momentum and became easier.
My mother is a hoarder of stuff. The previously mentioned hard time I went through also greatly impacted her more than myself and it kicked things into high gear for her. My heart hurts for her as she saves every little thing somehow thinking that helps her hang on to memories and happier times. But in honesty it doesn’t and it just continues to entrap her. Watching that my entire life has likely been one of the reasons I gravitated towards minimalism

I catch myself feeling this way. I learned by painting (art) that taking a picture is almost the same. I am as satisfied looking at pics of my art as seeing the piece itself. I photograph it then give it away to support the local animal rescue charity. I’m going to start this with other things as well.

Kem

Citizen
Things are pretty minimal around here as I absolutely hate clutter! Probably the only areas that need improvement for me are in the clothing and shoe department. My excuse is that growing up we were very poor and I literally never had new clothes, just hand me downs. Now I go a bit overboard and have for years but I did have to haul a lot to the Good Will before we moved down here.

Bron

Standing on the Promises of God!
I’m a Minimalist, have been for years.
My wardrobe consists of twenty things, including my four pairs of boots. If I ever buy anything new then something has to go. Picking an outfit to wear is a breeze because all the pieces work together. I go through everything about once a week and if it’s not used or hasn’t been used in a while it goes into a giveaway box which is destined for the thrift store.
At one time I had lots of art supplies but then realized that I wasn’t really using most of it, so I donated a good deal of that. I did keep my most favorite of course.
Dishes and pans are also very minimal, as is decor.
It certainly makes for fast and easy housecleaning :)

Here are some rules I go by :
The 90/90 rule ~
If you haven’t used it in the past 90 days, or plan to use it within 90 days, Toss it.

The 20/20 rule ~
If you can drive somewhere in 20 minutes or less and buy it for 20 or less to replace it, then you can get rid of it.

:hug

Kerbluey

Things are pretty minimal around here as I absolutely hate clutter! Probably the only areas that need improvement for me are in the clothing and shoe department. My excuse is that growing up we were very poor and I literally never had new clothes, just hand me downs. Now I go a bit overboard and have for years but I did have to haul a lot to the Good Will before we moved down here.

My mom does the same for the same reasons. She also grew up during a time when people didn’t have all choices we have now.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
:peekI am closer to a Maximumist.:laugh
I love being surrounded by beautiful things that I love.
I do understand some of the appeal of a more minimum life style.
I have to work at keeping my stuff in hand. I could easily slip into a clutter bug/hoarder.
My Son in law tells me not to go crazy keeping my 'junk' cause he will have to clean it all up one day:lol

RobinB

I try to get rid of things, knowing someday Tim will be stuck getting rid of our stuff after we're gone. Much as I dread someday cleaning out my parent's house. They are very clean and have started keeping less stuff, but still after 40 years in a house you have a lot.

Lynn

Longing for Home
I try to get rid of things, knowing someday Tim will be stuck getting rid of our stuff after we're gone.
We're at the same season of perspective regarding our 'stuff' that will have to be hauled out by our two grown sons. Since they both live 4 & 8 hours away from us, they won't know who to hire to help with getting rid of the 'stuff'. So, I'm trying to do them a favor & carry out what my dh and I can and donate it to Goodwill. They're fine men with families of their own & they don't need to lug around bags of clothes that are 'way out of date and a wagon full of knitting yarn/needles, (yarn swift & wool winder), and tons of fabric lengths left over from sewing for the grandchildren all these years. Did somebody say, 'Crafts'? Yikes!!

XSLaura

I love my parents but when the time comes I am left to deal with my mom’s tendencies to hoard it is going to be very unpleasant. And she is not organized with it so everything will have to be carefully sorted through so as not to throw out something important. I am in my 50’s and am glad that living minimal will not force my kids to have to wade through things long past their worth. Now my craft room....sorry kids I am working on and hopefully will get it manageable

Channah

I'm really a minimalist at heart but my husband is not. We just moved to a new house and we hired movers to move our stuff and usually it takes one day for movers to move you but these movers took 2 days and they still were not done. Ended up having to hire another mover to finish but there's still stuff at the old house. Plus we had to rent storage.

Our problem is that my husband loves to keep things and I sort of fell into that sickness of buying things, not one, not two but multiples. Now that I'm self quarantined I will have time to go through stuff in the new house to get rid of stuff and hopefully toss away, give away many things.

We had to clean out my FIL's house and he had more stuff than we did. Lots and lots of stuff. He had, and I'm not kidding, probably 1000 shirts, many pants, lots of knickknacks, lots of furniture, kept papers from forever and basically it was not fun going through so much.

We gave away so many bags to friends, Salvation Army and we still have lots of things. It's pretty depressing.

XSLaura

I'm really a minimalist at heart but my husband is not. We just moved to a new house and we hired movers to move our stuff and usually it takes one day for movers to move you but these movers took 2 days and they still were not done. Ended up having to hire another mover to finish but there's still stuff at the old house. Plus we had to rent storage.

Our problem is that my husband loves to keep things and I sort of fell into that sickness of buying things, not one, not two but multiples. Now that I'm self quarantined I will have time to go through stuff in the new house to get rid of stuff and hopefully toss away, give away many things.

We had to clean out my FIL's house and he had more stuff than we did. Lots and lots of stuff. He had, and I'm not kidding, probably 1000 shirts, many pants, lots of knickknacks, lots of furniture, kept papers from forever and basically it was not fun going through so much.

We gave away so many bags to friends, Salvation Army and we still have lots of things. It's pretty depressing.

It’s definitely not an easy task and can become overwhelming.