Methods for memorizing verses

Batfan7

According to research I've read, if you want to memorize anything, your best bet is to use several different methods at the same time. So, read it out loud (uses your sense of hearing), close your eyes and visualize each word (vision), write it out (uses sense if touch, kinetic), meditate on the meaning, take time away from it then come back and see if you can recall it.

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
Anyone have tips for how to best memorize verses? Write it down over and over? Write it on sticky notes and place it where you spend time? How do you memorize bible verses?
Haha, I thought I remember I saw a thread that dealt with the same question,
and I wanted to post it here for reference, but than I saw you started it yourself!
So obviously your former question wasn’t sufficiently answered.

Sorry, I can’t help you there. I don’t memorize a lot of texts literally myself.
But I do have “the gist” of many a text at the ready.
Thus I can find them in the Bible when I need the precise wording.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
Sorry, I can’t help you there. I don’t memorize a lot of texts literally myself.
But I do have “the gist” of many a text at the ready.
Thus I can find them in the Bible when I need the precise wording.

This is pretty much what I do now as well, but it can be embarrassing to say "hold on a second while I look up this verse," and then my conversation is at the mercy of my phone's loading time.

I also think it would be beneficial for me to be able to meditate on the specifics of a verse or a few when I'm in a rough spot. Plus I've always been impressed by people who can rattle off scripture like their address; it's helped me without breaking conversational flow, so I'd like to be able to do the same for others. The way I've been doing it is sufficient for the forum, but less than ideal in person

Also I think the other thread I started was about "what are some good verses to memorize," this one is about methods of memorization Kaatje completely different topic :lol

Andy C

Question: What are some good ways to memorize bible verses.

Answer: Memorizing Bible verses is an important way to get God’s Word inside our hearts so that it can transform us. The psalmist wrote, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you” (Psalm 119:11). As we intentionally make God’s Word an integral part of our thoughts, we begin to see sin the way God does. But memorizing can be difficult for many people. Even so, there are a few techniques that may help make it easier. The following are some tips to encourage the memorization of God’s Word:

1. Read the entire chapter in one sitting over and over again. Memorization is easier when we understand the context. Many verses are part of a bigger idea, and, by understanding that idea, isolated verses make more sense. By reading an entire passage, we may decide to include a verse or two before or after the selected scripture to make a more complete thought. Reading the whole passage many times makes it more familiar, and we find it easier to memorize that which is familiar.

2. Handwrite the selected verses on notecards, and take them with you. By working on the verses a little at a time throughout the day, we are also keeping God’s truth foremost in our minds. By writing only a few words of the verse on each card, we gain a sense of accomplishment when we master a card. Breaking up the verse also makes it feel more manageable.

3. Find a memory buddy. Memorizing with a friend helps keep us accountable and motivated. If the friend gets ahead, natural competitiveness kicks in, and we want to keep up. Having someone sharing our memorization journey also gives us opportunities to exchange thoughts about what the verse means to us and how God wants us to apply it. In doing so, we do more than simply repeat words in order. We allow the truth of them go deeper where they take root and bear fruit.

4. Incorporate meditation as part of the memorization (Psalm 1:1–2). Meditation is deep and focused thinking about the personalized application of a specific truth. The Bible encourages us to meditate on the Word: “I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways” (Psalm 119:15). When we meditate on the meaning of a particular passage and consider what it means to our lives, we go further than simply memorizing. We are obeying Jesus’ command to abide in Him and allow His words to abide in us (John 15:7). Memorizing and meditating on Bible verses is a good way to abide in God’s Word.

5. Read and recite the verse aloud. Or sing it. As we see it, say it, and hear it, we are using a variety of our senses and helping our brain store the information. The more “actively” we participate in the learning of a Bible verse, the more distinct that verse becomes in our long-term memory, and thus the more memorable it becomes. This is also why using hand motions can often help a child learn a song or memorize a Bible verse.

6. For those with artistic flair, illustrating a Bible verse is a good way to memorize it. Reducing the words to drawings or symbols requires a different part of the brain and may help cement the ideas in lasting ways. Illustrations also help children memorize. Encouraging children to draw their own pictures helps them personalize the verses and learn to meditate on God’s Word.

When we have memorized significant portions of Scripture, God uses it to speak to us. For example, if we are praying about a decision, in the midst of our prayer a verse memorized long ago may float unbidden into our minds. We weren’t trying to think of a verse, and the one brought to mind isn’t always the one we would have chosen for an answer. But, because we are abiding in His Word, the Lord is free to use it to answer our questions.

We can also incorporate memorized verses into our own prayers and pray them back to God. In that way, we have the assurance that we are praying in His will (1 John 5:14). When we have worked to memorize passages of Scripture, they naturally weave their truths into our prayers, correct us when we are praying wrongly, and reflect what our hearts are trying to say (Romans 8:27). When we are committed to hiding God’s Word in our hearts, He will bless our efforts and use those verses to help us grow (1 Peter 2:2).

https://www.gotquestions.org/memorize-Bible-verses.html

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Sorry. Brain memory module shot. Needs repair. Expect new one with new body.

:lol I feel this way myself sometimes.

Great ideas. Responding to scripture in prayer has been helpful for me along with thinking on application. Like Kaatje said, I've got the gist (some more so than others) and location. Although there are times where God will bring a verse to mind prominently or a morning read 'just happens' to prepare me for a chat with someone later.

Work4Peanuts

I like being just a Well-Known Member
There is a method that some people use for memorizing large swaths of the Bible (and other things you want to remember) called creating a "memory palace." I don't have the technique down, myself, but have day dreamed about having the whole Bible memorized. You might look it up.

athenasius

I'm REALLY Random with my methods.

My Christian grandfather used to shove a square of chocolate under my tongue whenever I recited a verse perfectly. I got a lot that way. He died when I was 12 but the last time I was with him was the summer I was 8. Which was when he was mainlining chocolate and the Bible into me.

My Christian mother read a chapter of the Bible aloud every night, and expounded on the passage at hand till she died when I was 14. Between her and my grandfather, the Lord enabled me to remember a lot.

Once I was married and was serious about growing as a Christian I'd post a bunch of verses on the fridge where I'd read them coming and going, and recite them to myself.

Off and on over the years when a passage particularly lights up for me-- you know when you read it and it's like it's jumping off the page, I stick a bookmark (any random paper) in that spot and go back to it over and over. (shhhh don't tell, but when the sermon wasn't particularly riveting, I'd go thru these over and over and think about them). In the process I remember enough of the key phrases to do look ups on the computer or in Strong's later when God would shake my memory up and I'd be scratching to find that verse. Do that enough and pretty soon you remember exactly where it is, and what it says.

I used a homeschool memory system with the kids for a period of time. MemLock I think it was called. Back in homeschool days. It's good. Many of the verses I had the kids memorize got into me too.

I bought some scripture memory CD's and tapes from a Christian Bookstore. I've found out they've been reissued in one of the new formats, it's Scripture Memory Songs by Integrity Music. Sing it-- the Word gets in.

Read aloud to myself. The Word goes in, the Holy Spirit works with that and brings it to my remembrance. Read something over and over for a while.

I can't say enough good about playing the Bible on audio somehow, just in the background, scrolling thru various books of the Bible. In the car, at home, wherever. Let the Word flow over you. Some will just stick.

Recite what you know to yourself. Random moments--driving the car by myself I often sing hymns, sometimes recite the Word to myself. In pain, awake at night, worried about stuff, I go to the Word stuck in my head and speak, pray under my breath (if G is sleeping) or sing the verses aloud. It's kept me calm in the middle of thyroid biopsies where they stick a huge needle in your throat, and you can't swallow for what feels like ages while they poke around, or MRI machines or biopsies, or going for surgery.

Right now Those Who Wait on the Lord Shall Renew Their Strength is just playing, because looking up a YouTube of Scripture Memory Songs, I decided to play one that I have paid for the CD in the past, even though I can't find it right now. It's from the CD called God's Provision. The one called God's Grace I played over and over the year I started homeschooling as an antidote to the fears that shook me as I did something WAY out of my comfort zone.

Keep Bibles handy where you go to bed, and wake up. In the living room where you sit down to rest. Open them. I love my paper bookmark method. Looks dreadful-- with all the paper sticking out, but I adore just piling into a favourite section.

I posted Bible verses on the bathroom mirror at one point.

Like I said. Random.

I feel badly that I'm not more structured and organized about it all, but everytime I try to get all into a system for memory, and make it a routine, it becomes dry as dust. I hate that, and I love the Bible, so rather than make it tedious I've kept it random.

But not everyone is built like me, so if structure works better then something like MemLock will work, but for sheer joy of accidentally finding something fresh, play the Bible on audio, on You Tube, in the car, just anywhere to hear or read it with fresh eyes and ears. And stick it on the fridge and bathroom mirror.

I'm pretty sure some will accidentally get memorized.

Last edited:
I find it helps to pray through the verses I am memorizing. Say the 23rd psalm verse 1 - "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." I pause and pray, thanking him for being my shepherd, affirming that I have everything I need. Then I move on to verse 2. This makes for a sweet time with the Lord and keeps me from rushing through the passage. It also makes memorizing a bit different each time until I get the verses under control.

My biggest problem, however, is verse numbers. I know a lot of scripture, but for the life of me I get befuddled about whether it's Colossians 3:4 or Phillipians 3:4... or who knows, it could be 1 Peter 3:4 :D

athenasius

[QUOTE="ItsNotAboutTheDonkey, post: 842740709, member: 19281
My biggest problem, however, is verse numbers. I know a lot of scripture, but for the life of me I get befuddled about whether it's Colossians 3:4 or Phillipians 3:4... or who knows, it could be 1 Peter 3:4 :D[/QUOTE]

And that would be the catch with my random methods too! Can't for the life of me remember the reference.

I forgot a game I play when I'm in church listening to someone start out reading a passage. I try to under my breath say the thing a few seconds before he does. Same when listening to a youtube sermon.

We use a similar method when we're having fun - we play "scripture volley ball" - one person starts the scripture and then "hits it" to the another, who has to continue or finish the verse. So very easy with, say, John 3:16. First person: "For God so loved the world"; Second person: "That he gave his only begotten son"... or Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created"..."the heavens and the earth"... But it can be an adventure if someone pops out "All scripture is God breathed and profitable for..."

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
We use a similar method when we're having fun - we play "scripture volley ball" - one person starts the scripture and then "hits it" to the another, who has to continue or finish the verse. So very easy with, say, John 3:16. First person: "For God so loved the world"; Second person: "That he gave his only begotten son"... or Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created"..."the heavens and the earth"... But it can be an adventure if someone pops out "All scripture is God breathed and profitable for..."

Teaching, rebuke, uhhh... something something godliness... I dropped the ball
(Tried that from memory. Got half way through the rest of the verse at least)

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Another question to anyone: how do you decide which version of the bible you want to memorize? I read from a few different ones. Whichever sounds best? Slightly joking

Another question to anyone: how do you decide which version of the bible you want to memorize? I read from a few different ones. Whichever sounds best? Slightly joking

I mix it up except for the verses that I work with the kids in our Awana club on. There I stick with English Standard since it's what is in their handbooks. This is tough for me, since some of the verses I've previously memorized in other translations. And now for a true confession - sometimes I even mix translations within a passage that I'm working on. I do this particularly when I'm memorizing in psalms and one translation is clearer in one verse and another works better for me in another verse. So far I haven't been hit by lightening...

athenasius

I love your thoughts ItsNotAboutThe Donkey! You bring such joy! I read your greeting and explanation of how you came up with your name.

And I so agree. Some stuff just sticks in one or another version, and I remember when we got the MemLock stuff I was stuck for a while because they were so serious about not mixing Bible versions and choosing the ONE that you'd memorize it all from. But the one I bought from them wasn't the King James which I'd used from childhood. So finally I sailed ahead, and got going.

So I totally agree with you. I don't think it matters as long as it's a good decent Bible translation. And some just say it neater and tidier than others for different passages.

Salluz, I'd just start wherever you are. It's nice to get the 23rd Psalm in, the Lord's Prayer, and the Romans Road to Salvation, which are these verses: Romans 3:10, 3: 23, 5:28, 6:23, 8:1, 10:9 and 10:13.

But after that, there's a lot of good stuff. What do you find yourself talking to other's about? Having those verses nailed helps.

Here's that Roman's Road which is VERY useful for explaining salvation. From Bible Gateway all NIV. It's an oldie but a goodie. I bumped into it, from 2 old preachers books I was reading (J.Vernon McGee's Thru the Bible Commentary and Romans Verse by Verse by William R Newell), and I've heard it from many others since. Here it is

Romans 3:10 As it is written:“There is no one righteous, not even one;
3:23: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
5:8: But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
6:23: For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
8:1: Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,
!0:9: If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10:13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."

And while writing this, I find myself switching from KJV to NASB to NIV but mostly in KJV.

Thanks, Asthanasius, for your kind words and for the Roman Road - all familiar verses, all ones I've memorized. But I'd never heard the term before. I'm going to steal it for my Wednesday Bible study girls who ask from time to time how to share the gospel from scripture.

Back