Melatonin

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Since you already take magnesium you could take a little more at dinner or use the gel or lotion before bed. The gel is very drying, it’s basically salt, but it does get the job done. I fall asleep pretty quickly. You have to find your sweet spot though. Too much and you are up and wired at 3 am. Don’t ask me how I know. :lol
I take between 500mg to 1000mg and my doctor knows. It can really drop your bp if you take a lot as a normal person. I’m not normal. The higher amounts are usually what cause the wired but tired nights. I’ve had to pull back.
I'm already up at 3 a.m. Don't think magnesium would work for me since it already doesn't. Benadryl and Valium both put me to sleep but I don't take Valium very often and I've got some concerns about using much Benadryl. We'll see about Melatonin...

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I was the same way, easy to fall asleep, but wake up several times a night. Since I started my low dose, 1.25mg each night, I might wake up 2 times, but fall back asleep each time.
How long before you plan to go to sleep do you take your dose?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Well, I've tried the melatonin and it works for me. Works quite well. In addition to finding myself laying awake for hours in the middle of the night less frequently, if my Fitbit Ionic is to be trusted, I'm also getting much more deep sleep and REM sleep. I'm taking 1.25 mg (a 5 mg pill quartered) about the time I go to bed because I usually plan to read for at least 40 minutes before I go to sleep. I'm finding that I'm waking up maybe a couple of times less in the middle of the night, and I'm falling back to sleep more quickly (most of the time). It isn't perfect, but is way better.

When I told my wife that I was gonna try it she said she'd been using some .3 mg melatonin pills every night for years because her doctor suggested it. I asked her if it worked for her and she evading answering me. That told me that she probably hadn't noticed a difference. After researching it for myself I suggested she try taking two of the pills before going to bed. She did and told me that she could tell it helped... That after taking a non-helping dose for years... Some folks do whatever their doctors suggest, and some like me, have to accept the doctor's orders before following them.

I'll have to tell my doctor when I see her in May and see what she says about it. In the meantime I should see what I can find about issues with taking melatonin with any of the prescription medicine I take.

Annie

The Time Is Getting Close :)
Hi, not sure if this has been mentioned but tart cherries contain melatonin.
It's beneficial for any joint pain one might have along with giving you a good night's sleep.
I prefer organic tart cherry in various forms.

Last edited:

Cloud Watcher

Well, I've tried the melatonin and it works for me. Works quite well. In addition to finding myself laying awake for hours in the middle of the night less frequently, if my Fitbit Ionic is to be trusted, I'm also getting much more deep sleep and REM sleep. I'm taking 1.25 mg (a 5 mg pill quartered) about the time I go to bed because I usually plan to read for at least 40 minutes before I go to sleep. I'm finding that I'm waking up maybe a couple of times less in the middle of the night, and I'm falling back to sleep more quickly (most of the time). It isn't perfect, but is way better.

When I told my wife that I was gonna try it she said she'd been using some .3 mg melatonin pills every night for years because her doctor suggested it. I asked her if it worked for her and she evading answering me. That told me that she probably hadn't noticed a difference. After researching it for myself I suggested she try taking two of the pills before going to bed. She did and told me that she could tell it helped... That after taking a non-helping dose for years... Some folks do whatever their doctors suggest, and some like me, have to accept the doctor's orders before following them.

I'll have to tell my doctor when I see her in May and see what she says about it. In the meantime I should see what I can find about issues with taking melatonin with any of the prescription medicine I take.
Yay! Sweet dreams.