Melatonin

Cloud Watcher

Hmm, I just made a point of looking at the mg on the bottle. The tablets are 5mg, and are not scored. I suppose I could use a pair of scissors to cut them if I needed to. I wonder if they would crumble.

athenasius

Hi guys, I'm chiming in late.

I bite a bit off my 5 mg tablets. I can usually manage between 1/4 and a 1/3 of a tablet. I save the rest for another time in an old pill bottle lid by my bedside which I remove when grandkids are over.

I use a little bite if I'm not dozing in 20 minutes. Then if I wake before 3:30 am, I take another little chunk if I'm suddenly wide awake. I find my cutoff is 3:30 am because if I bite a bit after that, I'm liable to be sleepy and groggy even while I'm awake, like my mind is awake at 6 am, but my body doesn't wake up fully till 10 or 11.

Another thing I do is Tylenol. Take one only, at bedtime because I saw some research a little while back that it interrupts the "busy brain" where you can't stop thinking. Apparently the chemical pathway that interrupts pain, also puts a roadblock up for busy brains that won't stop chattering.

So anyways on nights I'm having real trouble, ie I took my bite, but nothing happens, I go for a Tylenol and that usually helps unless I've been on the computer screen too late or engaging in brain intensive conversation in real life with anyone after dinner.

That's my other rule that works for me. Try to get away from the computer screens or iphone devices etc after 6 or 7 pm if bedtime is 9.

Oh and I use blackout curtains and don't have any little operating lights like my air filter one. I tape aluminum foil over those kind of lights.

Andy C

Lynn

You might consider eating pistachios- I've heard that they are a natural source of melatonin.
You can also use a half teaspoon of nutmeg mixed in honey
I've not heard of either of these suggestions before. It's good to know for future reference if ever needed. I also didn't know that Tylenol would help to turn off an overactive brain from too much stimulation. Even though we live in the country with no nearby neighbors, we keep our blinds pulled down all the way, because I read that our bodies begin to produce melatonin naturally in the dark. So, no rural outside lights are streaming in our windows. We both sleep 8 or more hours each night. I think the darkened room really has helped to achieve that. :sleepchair

Work4Peanuts

I've not heard of either of these suggestions before. It's good to know for future reference if ever needed. I also didn't know that Tylenol would help to turn off an overactive brain from too much stimulation. Even though we live in the country with no nearby neighbors, we keep our blinds pulled down all the way, because I read that our bodies begin to produce melatonin naturally in the dark. So, no rural outside lights are streaming in our windows. We both sleep 8 or more hours each night. I think the darkened room really has helped to achieve that. :sleepchair
:whisper You know nutmeg is hallucinogenic, and toxic at high doses, right? Go easy on that stuff.

Work4Peanuts

Anything can be bad for you in excess. A half teaspoon is perfectly safe and no hallucinations... at least I haven’t.
I love nutmeg and see absolutely no problem with using it in recipes. Most people think of it as a spice, though, and use spices "to taste." It is possible to have really bad things happen with only 2 teaspoons of nutmeg used. Forewarned is forearmed.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
On account of this thread and because Costco had a bottle heavily discounted I bought some Melatonin and will give it a try. The Air Force gave me something while I was on active duty but whatever is was really messed me up. I hope this works. The bottle I bought has 5 mg round pills. I split one into quarters to try during an upcoming trip and maybe a couple of nights before the trip starts.

I can right to sleep 80% of the time. My big problem is waking up on average about 7 times each night and on one of those occasions not being able to get back to sleep for a few to several hours. That's where I need assistance.

Cloud Watcher

On account of this thread and because Costco had a bottle heavily discounted I bought some Melatonin and will give it a try. The Air Force gave me something while I was on active duty but whatever is was really messed me up. I hope this works. The bottle I bought has 5 mg round pills. I split one into quarters to try during an upcoming trip and maybe a couple of nights before the trip starts.

I can right to sleep 80% of the time. My big problem is waking up on average about 7 times each night and on one of those occasions not being able to get back to sleep for a few to several hours. That's where I need assistance.
I hope it works well for you

FaithnHope

I use magnesium. Melatonin gives me a hangover (my doctors words). I have a disease that doesn’t play well it. If you are on any meds you really need to let your doctor know you are taking any of them.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I use magnesium. Melatonin gives me a hangover (my doctors words). I have a disease that doesn’t play well it. If you are on any meds you really need to let your doctor know you are taking any of them.
I'm on a bunch of meds. I'll give it a short try and see how it goes. Lot's of medicines give me side effects and if they do and I don't like those side effects I stop taking them. I take magnesium, but not for sleep.

Andy C

I was the same way, easy to fall asleep, but wake up several times a night. Since I started my low dose, 1.25mg each night, I might wake up 2 times, but fall back asleep each time.

FaithnHope

I'm on a bunch of meds. I'll give it a short try and see how it goes. Lot's of medicines give me side effects and if they do and I don't like those side effects I stop taking them. I take magnesium, but not for sleep.
Since you already take magnesium you could take a little more at dinner or use the gel or lotion before bed. The gel is very drying, it’s basically salt, but it does get the job done. I fall asleep pretty quickly. You have to find your sweet spot though. Too much and you are up and wired at 3 am. Don’t ask me how I know. :lol
I take between 500mg to 1000mg and my doctor knows. It can really drop your bp if you take a lot as a normal person. I’m not normal. The higher amounts are usually what cause the wired but tired nights. I’ve had to pull back.