Melatonin

Andy C

Has anybody here used melatonin as a natural sleep aid?

Melatonin is a hormone that regulates the sleep–wake cycle. It is primarily released by the pineal gland. As a supplement, it is often used for the short-term treatment of trouble sleeping such as from jet lag or shift work.

For the past several months, I have had no problems falling asleep, but trouble when I wake up in the early morning hours (2 am) and trying to go back to sleep. This natural hormone aid is supposed to help regulate the natural sleep cycle. For the past 5 nights, it seems to be working. I started out at 2.5 MG dosage, and now use 5.0 which is the recommended high end, not to exceed. I will probably drop it to 3.5 starting tonight.

Forgiven1

Watching and waiting
Hi Andy, I also have problems with early-morning waking. I have tried Melatonin but it hasn't helped me. Hopefully you will have better luck with it. I have heard that Magnesium supplements are helpful for sleep issues. Maybe worth looking into?

Cloud Watcher

Melatonin gives me nightmares. When I take it, I can count on dreaming of fire around 6:00 a.m. :confused: It's a very weird side effect. Melatonin helps me sleep, but I can't deal with dreaming of hell every morning.
I hate fire dreams. I still remember one I had when I was 7. It was the first time I ever crawled in bed with my parents in the middle of the night.

Mary Cole

I take it along with other meds so I can sleep. Otherwise, the PTSD would keep me having vivid nightmares, flashbacks, or insomnia from being too afraid to sleep. I take 12 mg at bedtime, along with 1/2 tab of Trazadone, hydroxyzine and cyclobenzaprine...each which is supposed to aid in sleeping as well as being used for muscle relaxer (RLS) anti-anxiety and depression...but has a side effect of drowsiness.

Andy C

OK, it's been 2 [email protected] 3.5 MG. So, how's it working? Or are you sleeping all day??:snoopy
I used 5mg for a few nights, and slept really well. The last few nights at 3.5 were not as restful, as I had problems going back to sleep after 130am.
I might go back to 5mg, and stay at the level for a few weeks, and then stop or tapor off.

Melatonin can cause very detailed dreams. A few nights ago, I had a dream where I was Trumps chief of staff. I woke up with total recall of the conversations we had. I have never had any political dreams, or a dream that seemed so real. Kinda funny when I think back on it.

Even at 5mg, no adverse effects the next day, still able to go on morning runs and go to the gym, and energy throughout the rest of the day.

Im the lucky type of person that has never had any real side effects from medications, or vaccinations.

Andy C

OK, it's been 2 [email protected] 3.5 MG. So, how's it working? Or are you sleeping all day??:snoopy
I read a good article the other day from a sleep DR, and higher doses are bad for many of the reasons others posted on here. So, for the last few nights, I have lowered it to 1.25MG, and have had the best sleep, and no bad dreams, no grogginess, just feeling really good the next day.

SonSeeker

I read a good article the other day from a sleep DR, and higher doses are bad for many of the reasons others posted on here. So, for the last few nights, I have lowered it to 1.25MG, and have had the best sleep, and no bad dreams, no grogginess, just feeling really good the next day.
Great! It sounds like you've found your sweet spot.
:prayPraying that is the case.