Meditating at school... would covet your prayers

pistache

..the flower fades, but His Word stands forever..
I have to talk to my principal soon, and I'm very uneasy about it.

My school has adopted a new school curriculum for the "well-being" of our students which "secularizes" and "science-ifies" meditation, choosing to call it "mindfulness". It's a program created by Goldie Hawn (that says enough about it, already) and incorporates centering and chime breathing.

I have never seen my colleagues so energized and enthralled by any curriculum before. We talked about it for 2 whole hours at our last staff meeting. I heard things said like "This is a whole new trend, and we are on the edge of something big for all of society" and "Eventually all professionals will be trained with this approach to their profession." We (They) have done chime meditation in both of the staff meetings that we have had for this school year. I sat there and prayed, and tried to not do what the principal was reading from the script (breathe deeply, feel your stomach go in and out, hold your breath to 4, empty your mind and just focus on your breath, if your mind wanders bring it back to your breath...) The whole staff is on board, and everyone wants to make this philosophy a priority to teach every day, to help students with their anxieties/problems and their focus. Every teacher is planning to do the chime breathing with their class 3 times a day, as recommended by the curriculum, as well as teach the lessons weekly. They want to get together regularly to discuss how things are going in our classes. They want to do it at whole school assemblies and through the PA system -- create a school culture of breath awareness in situations of conflict, anxiety and stress.

It's not that I would be "forced" to do it by our administrators, it's that everyone IS EXCITED to do it except me (we're talking 50+ teachers and support teachers). If it were just a group of teachers who got into it, I could slip under the radar and not have to worry. However, it sounds that it will become obvious that I am the only one uninterested, and sooner or later, the others are going to notice.

My principal seems to already not like me very much, for some unknown reason. She has given me the cold shoulder numerous times last year, and I am already very uncomfortable around her. Like I said, I'm not worried that she would force me to do it, but I am afraid of how I will explain myself and what it will mean for the rest of the year, during meetings, assemblies, etc. The program "eliminates" all spiritual content, and really approaches the practices from a "scientific" basis on "brain science" (I use all these terms loosely...). I'm the one that looks superstitious and ridiculous when I try to explain myself. How do you communicate to a spiritually blind person that spiritual danger actually exists? How do you tell someone that the food they are eating is carcinogenic, even though it is delicious, satisfying, and gives them energy?

I love teaching, and yet, one week in, and I am already dreading this coming year.... I would really appreciate your prayers.

anath

I Love the Lord
Oh dear sis, I pray the Lord to lead you each day and be your strength to work in what is becoming a hostile environment for Bible believing Christians. :pray:

LivnForChrist

Jesus Christ is Lord
:pray:

... I wouldn't do it. I'd flat out refuse. I wouldn't pray during it either because I
wouldn't want the appearance of evil....i.e going along with what they're doing. I
wouldn't endorse it in any way. but that's just me. We, American Christians especially,
must stand up for what we believe in. We've been spared persecution for our faith
in a lot of ways. We haven't had to really come up against hardship for our faith.
That all is changing though. I feel we must stand up for our faith no matter what it
costs us. :nod

Noah Cotterill

Read the book of Daniel again. Daniel was in Babylion and served with astrologers, magicians, etc. He did nothing save shine God's light, and when the astrologers & magicians failed, he told ol' Nebby why, and that his God was Almighty, enough certainly to solve the problem.

Do not slip under the radar! Be a light on a hill!

Joe B

There is nothing wrong with learning to be able to relax your mind and body especially in the hectic world that we live in.
Just as you might take physical exercise to maintain your bodies health so I have no problem with repeating this in a way that relaxes them again.

The problem is only when that is taught as some knid of an alternative lifestyle or worse a form of spirit worship. That is the battle and the part that we as Christians need to try to influence and change - Not easy in today's world!

I would suggest that if you are forced to appear to participate in this that you do so but use that time of peace to focus on your own Christian lifestyle or God's plan in your life.
At least in that way if you ever asked what you meditate on you will have the opportunity to let others know?

I frequently take the time to relax my mind and body and it can very therapuetic. I admit that sometimes Satan can use this as a way to attack you but it is great training for learning how to clear your mind and remove his attacks.

FaithInChrist

Wow, what state are you in? Do the parents know their children are participating in this? Meditating and focusing on ones breath (clearing the mind) is eastern philosophy and the empty mind opens the door for demons. They can call it anything they like, it's not the name of the practice that leaves the gate open, but the practice itself. This is very scary indeed and I would not participate and I think the parents should be told that this is now part of the curriculum.

Lynn

Wow, what state are you in? Do the parents know their children are participating in this? Meditating and focusing on ones breath (clearing the mind) is eastern philosophy and the empty mind opens the door for demons. They can call it anything they like, it's not the name of the practice that leaves the gate open, but the practice itself. This is very scary indeed and I would not participate and I think the parents should be told that this is now part of the curriculum.
Agree! This kind of thing often goes unnoticed. Most likely, there is a remnant of Christians in that school district who would be flabbergasted if they knew what was going on. Somehow, the word needs to get out, as it sounds like this school has bought into this hook, line, and sinker. Precious children are generally victims of any kind of Satanic strategy.

followerofjesus

Slave of Christ
As someone who was involved in meditation and yoga prior to being Saved, I agree 100%. When you clear your mind you are definitely leaving a door open for demonic attacks. You can call it "centering", "mindfulness", or whatever you want, but it's all same thing and you are taking yourself to a place you shouldn't be, especially as a Christian.

Noah Cotterill

As someone who was involved in meditation and yoga prior to being Saved, I agree 100%. When you clear your mind you are definitely leaving a door open for demonic attacks. You can call it "centering", "mindfulness", or whatever you want, but it's all same thing and you are taking yourself to a place you shouldn't be, especially as a Christian.
Meditation itself isn't bad. We are told to meditate on the Word. Meditation that worships something/someone. Else is evil.

ReadyforSupper

... I wouldn't do it. I'd flat out refuse. I wouldn't pray during it either because I
wouldn't want the appearance of evil....i.e going along with what they're doing. I
wouldn't endorse it in any way. but that's just me. We, American Christians especially,
must stand up for what we believe in. We've been spared persecution for our faith
in a lot of ways. We haven't had to really come up against hardship for our faith.
That all is changing though. I feel we must stand up for our faith no matter what it
Agreed. It's easy to say and tough to do, but beloved, remember:

Isaiah 41:10 - Fear thou not; for I [am] with thee: be not dismayed; for I [am] thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Hebrews 13:6 - So that we may boldly say, The Lord [is] my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

Joshua 1:9 - Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God [is] with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Psalms 16:8 - I have set the LORD always before me: because [he is] at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

Psalms 91:4 - He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth [shall be thy] shield and buckler.

Psalms 27:1 - The LORD [is] my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD [is] the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?

Deuteronomy 1:17 - Ye shall not respect persons in judgment; [but] ye shall hear the small as well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the judgment [is] God's: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring [it] unto me, and I will hear it.

Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Deuteronomy 31:6 - Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he [it is] that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

1 Chronicles 22:13 - Then shalt thou prosper, if thou takest heed to fulfil the statutes and judgments which the LORD charged Moses with concerning Israel: be strong, and of good courage; dread not, nor be dismayed.

Psalms 55:22 - Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.

Jeremiah 1:8 - Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the Lord.

Deuteronomy 1:29 - Then I said unto you, Dread not, neither be afraid of them.

Beloved, do NOT fear. Stand strong in the faith, God WILL reward you.

He says to "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." (Matthew 6:34)

We will stand with you in prayer and thanksgiving. This is a terrible situation for a Christian to be in, to have to choose between job safety and righteousness, but God has you in His hand and will not let you fail. If He's allowing you to be the ONLY light in this situation, then SHINE precious and know you're loved! :hug

followerofjesus

Slave of Christ
Meditation itself isn't bad. We are told to meditate on the Word. Meditation that worships something/someone. Else is evil.
The meditation I'm talking about is that which causes you to empty your mind to create spaces, which is totally different than meditating on the Word of God. I'm assuming that's what the op is talking about also.

David T. McKee

Jesus is Truth

I understand what you are saying LivnForChrist - about not even giving the appearance of evil, however on the other hand, when these people are performing these practices, your prayers can do several things: Block the evil spiritual forces of darkness that are attempting to influence these people, and also it may open their hearts to receiving Christ.

Have you ever noticed that people who are closest to the Lord but have not yet accepted Christ are usually the ones who appear to "despise" those who witness to them the most? They are desperately clinging to what they "know" - the fact is this challenge could very well be the best thing that has happened to Pistach - we are in a battle after all. Who knows, these teachers and the principle are in great danger - this new teacher may be the very life vest that God is sending to them.

I would say a prayer during this time, but I would make it obvious that it was PRAYING I was doing, and not "Mindfulness" - and of course you could always tell them that you are exercising Biblical "mindfulness".

We are to tell the truth in love - and believe me, there are so many times I just want to "Throw it in their face!" But they, like me and you are made in the image of God, they are lost, as once were we...we need to always remember who our real enemy is - satan. Throw it in his face.

-dtm

dave-o

Isaiah 26:3
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

Tell them you don't need to meditate like that because you already live in a constant state of "meditation". Therefore theirs is redundant and inferior.

pistache

..the flower fades, but His Word stands forever..
Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. Sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner. I haven't talked to her yet. The first week is very stressful for our admin as they spend the whole week organizing class composition and dealing with new registrations and numbers. I didn't want to overwhelm her with another issue in the same week. Like someone said, they aren't the enemy. They are deceived. I'm not at war with her.

I'm a little hesitant to stand up and walk out abruptly in a meeting when they meditate. I understand why you would do it, and in my heart I would prefer not to be there, nor do I want give indication that I am participating. But I wrestle with what an effective witness is. I'm a very gentle person by nature, and I believe that gentleness is one of my gifts from the Lord. Walking out (to me) conveys a spirit of defiance that draws attention to me, which could cause my colleagues and superiors to look at me as someone who creates problems and drama, and misrepresent me a "religious zealot". I read Titus 3 over several times this week, and like it says, my goal is to be peaceable, gentle and showing humility to those around me, especially the lost. The meditation is not dangerous to me. I am saved by the blood of Jesus, and it cannot harm me. It is harming and deceiving them. I want to "defy" them in a humble way that does not draw attention to me. (Everyone is different, and others may react differently, but this is how I am, and graciousness is really important to me).

They are all going to find out I'm not teaching the curriculum. It will become evident very soon, when people ask my opinion, and when we meet in groups. I think I will be a more effective witness this way--as nervous as I am to explain it--to tell them in heart-felt and loving conversations.

I did already talk to one teacher this week -- one of the nicest on staff. I wanted to see how she responded to my concerns, and how she thought my principal might react. I'm not sure if she is actually a Christian, but I know she considers herself one. She married a Catholic and attends a Catholic church, but attended an evangelical church in the past. We had a really good conversation, and she admitted that she wondered what her "old" church would have thought about the program. She told me that there is clearly something very different about me than everyone else on staff, and that it is very obvious every day. She once told me that I just always seem so happy. That was such a blessing to hear, and I told her that was only because Jesus was my life now, and that is His transformation in me. I know that the things I told her will make her think, and I really hope we can talk about the Lord and the Gospel together.

So next week I will talk to my principal. My colleague was sure that my principal would listen and respect my concerns. I really hope so. She is a very stern lady. Please keep praying. I'm not shy to talk to strangers about Jesus, but I get very nervous when it happens in the public school system. It's just a huge spiritual war zone, and the implications are high. It's my personal fear, and I need to entrust it to the Lord.

Isaiah 26:3
You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

Tell them you don't need to meditate like that because you already live in a constant state of "meditation". Therefore theirs is redundant and inferior.
I LOVE this. Thank you.

brethorn56

Even Darwin Believes Now!!!
I think you should just tell your students your feelings on this and just tell them that during their meditation time they could just as easily talk to God as anything else. If their hearts are willing, He will do the rest.

Lynn

Thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers. Sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner. I haven't talked to her yet. The first week is very stressful for our admin as they spend the whole week organizing class composition and dealing with new registrations and numbers. I didn't want to overwhelm her with another issue in the same week. Like someone said, they aren't the enemy. They are deceived. I'm not at war with her.

I'm a little hesitant to stand up and walk out abruptly in a meeting when they meditate. I understand why you would do it, and in my heart I would prefer not to be there, nor do I want give indication that I am participating. But I wrestle with what an effective witness is. I'm a very gentle person by nature, and I believe that gentleness is one of my gifts from the Lord. Walking out (to me) conveys a spirit of defiance that draws attention to me, which could cause my colleagues and superiors to look at me as someone who creates problems and drama, and misrepresent me a "religious zealot". I read Titus 3 over several times this week, and like it says, my goal is to be peaceable, gentle and showing humility to those around me, especially the lost. The meditation is not dangerous to me. I am saved by the blood of Jesus, and it cannot harm me. It is harming and deceiving them. I want to "defy" them in a humble way that does not draw attention to me. (Everyone is different, and others may react differently, but this is how I am, and graciousness is really important to me).

They are all going to find out I'm not teaching the curriculum. It will become evident very soon, when people ask my opinion, and when we meet in groups. I think I will be a more effective witness this way--as nervous as I am to explain it--to tell them in heart-felt and loving conversations.

I did already talk to one teacher this week -- one of the nicest on staff. I wanted to see how she responded to my concerns, and how she thought my principal might react. I'm not sure if she is actually a Christian, but I know she considers herself one. She married a Catholic and attends a Catholic church, but attended an evangelical church in the past. We had a really good conversation, and she admitted that she wondered what her "old" church would have thought about the program. She told me that there is clearly something very different about me than everyone else on staff, and that it is very obvious every day. She once told me that I just always seem so happy. That was such a blessing to hear, and I told her that was only because Jesus was my life now, and that is His transformation in me. I know that the things I told her will make her think, and I really hope we can talk about the Lord and the Gospel together.

So next week I will talk to my principal. My colleague was sure that my principal would listen and respect my concerns. I really hope so. She is a very stern lady. Please keep praying. I'm not shy to talk to strangers about Jesus, but I get very nervous when it happens in the public school system. It's just a huge spiritual war zone, and the implications are high. It's my personal fear, and I need to entrust it to the Lord. . . .
Beautiful post, pistache. I wouldn't change anything you've said here. You clearly are a woman who knows what she's about, and I'd stay with your plan exactly as you've stated it here. :pray

May God bless you as you carry out your well-thought out and godly plan. Your school is very blessed to have you in their midst. :hug