Medi-Share or other Christian Health Care sharing?

RogerThat

Hi all,
I recently lost my job and the benefits that came with it. My husband's employer "provides" healthcare benefits and I have that in quotes because all they really provide is someone to do paperwork, not any kind of matching. Our weekly cost is over $400 now; which is about what we were paying bi-weekly before. My husband makes a decent salary that we could have lived on short-term but now that our healthcare costs are so high, we are seriously strapped financially until I find work, whenever God wills that.
I've been interested in exploring Medi-Share or a similar Christian cost-sharing alternative. Does anyone have experience with this or other ways of dealing with such exorbitant healthcare and insurance costs?!?!

Thanks,
Jenny

Emmajw

Hi Jenny,
I am so sorry to hear that you lost your job. I wanted to chime in on Medi-Share. I work for a hospital system in Georgia, and we post insurance payments & denials for 3 hospitals & over 400 Doctors. From what I have seen, Medi-Share does make adjustments on the bill (write-offs), but I rarely see them make a payment, especially of a large amount. The rest is put out to the patient as "not shared", or "not covered." I have seen surgeries barely covered or not at all. I have heard their commercials about how much you can save in premiums and how your medical bills are shared, but if a catastrophe hits, you will most likely be responsible for a very large portion of your bill. I would say depending on what state you are in, see what insurance companies participate in your area. One insurance may be good for one part of the state, but not the other. If you are buying individual plans, I would definitely stay away from Obamacare. You can buy directly using an insurance broker. I have heard Humana is good, also Blue Cross Blue Shield. PPO plans may cost more, but are so much less restrictive than an HMO plan. Before you purchase, you should go to the insurance company's web site to be sure your Doctor's are on the plan, if that is a concern for you.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I've been interested in exploring Medi-Share or a similar Christian cost-sharing alternative
A year or two ago I went to the Medi-Share site and filled out a form and asked them to mail me information about what they offered. I selected mail. I did not select call as I didn't want a salesperson calling me. It's best to review written material than be told by a person what is offered. I never ever got anything in the mail but my phone rang off the hook for a while with them trying to call me. I never picked up.

1) I don't like that they use B I B L E in their phone number for what is essentially commercial purposes. 2) I felt like they were dishonest with me by calling when I hadn't selected that box and never mailing me any material. Personally, I would steer clear of Medi-Share.

Because I never got any details of their plan to review, I don't know for sure, but from listening to their advertisements, it sounds like they're more of a "catastrophic" care coverage, than coverage for year to year normal doctor/hospital visits.

Batfan7

I used Christian healthcare ministries. They do reimbursement of medical expenses. I used them for giving birth to my second child and except for the fact that it's slow to get the whole payment processed (I needed to set up payment plan with the hospital and pay the first payment before I got a check to pay off the balance). It's great for emergency medical insurance, but not good if you have existing conditions or for "low cost" medical bills (like a regular check-up). Anyway, I had no issues with the service, so would recommend it.

Hi Jenny,

I’ve been reading RF for years but just joined because of your question. We have had Christian Healthcare Ministries for over 4 years. We lost our insurance when Obamacare kicked in and this was all we could afford. We have the Brothers Keepers Plan

My husband had an esophageal spasm and we thought he was having a heart attack 2 years ago. Like it was stated above, we had to make payment plans with the doctor and hospital and even made 1 payment before they paid for everything except the ambulance ride. We worked with the ambulance company and had to pay almost $600 for the ride.

My hubby has to have a biopsy next week (prayers would be much appreciated) and they should cover everything from the first doctors visit, x-rays, biopsy and anything else we may need.

Anything under $500 we pay, anything over is completely covered. They consider the doctor visit, x-rays, biopsy and any follow up as 1 incident. They even pray for us. A friend of mine had neck surgery that they completely covered.

Our insurance co-pay would have been $20,000 before they would even cover a doctor visit. We are so thankful for CHM.

I hope this helps. (Medi-Share was just too expensive for us to even consider.)

Brenda

kathymendel

MediShare is very difficult to decipher on their website. They really don't give you much information. You have to call them to get any.
As TT said, I want it in writing, not just someone's word. Add to that, from what they say on their commercials on the radio, there is something about they have a "panel" that decides, individually, each medical case and whether they will cover it. Doesn't sound like you have any definite coverage, at that rate.

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jenny,

I’ve been reading RF for years but just joined because of your question. We have had Christian Healthcare Ministries for over 4 years. We lost our insurance when Obamacare kicked in and this was all we could afford. We have the Brothers Keepers Plan

My husband had an esophageal spasm and we thought he was having a heart attack 2 years ago. Like it was stated above, we had to make payment plans with the doctor and hospital and even made 1 payment before they paid for everything except the ambulance ride. We worked with the ambulance company and had to pay almost $600 for the ride.

My hubby has to have a biopsy next week (prayers would be much appreciated) and they should cover everything from the first doctors visit, x-rays, biopsy and anything else we may need.

Anything under $500 we pay, anything over is completely covered. They consider the doctor visit, x-rays, biopsy and any follow up as 1 incident. They even pray for us. A friend of mine had neck surgery that they completely covered.

Our insurance co-pay would have been $20,000 before they would even cover a doctor visit. We are so thankful for CHM.

Brenda
Well, @FaithnHope, I am so glad that you have finally joined us at RF. And thank you for a useful first post.

GotGrace

Hi Jenny,

Brenda
:welcome

Work4Peanuts

When I was checking out Medishare, one thing that disturbed me specifically (besides what was already said earlier) is since it isn't considered health insurance, it's not regulated that way. So you could pay into something, that, if for some reason was run by unscrupulous people just claiming to Christian, they could take the money and run, and you would be out of luck legally.