Me and the Root Cellar, Prepping with a Parsnip, managing a Pantry

DustyOpal

As a young mother, a little under 20 years ago, I was trying to be as frugal as I could possibly be so I could be a stay-at-home mom - - being a one-income family in a two-income world is hard. While learning everything I could, I came across the concept of homesteading and preparedness and fell in love. I began building my pantry, learning to garden, and raising what animals I could on a mostly wooded lot in a relaxed HOA which amounted to a flock of chickens and meat rabbits. I prayed for God to help us afford a real homestead and practiced as much as I could on my pretend one. Fast forward to last year, God decided it was time to grant me the desire of my heart...which turned out to be bittersweet. I wanted to be able to move before my children planted their roots where we were, but unfortunately, my middle boy turned 18 and opted to stay. But I digress. Anyway, in September we moved to 10 acres in Tennessee and we are starting from scratch. And when I say scratch, I mean raw land and living in an RV as we build which is going oh so slowly due to shortages and the fact that everyone and their brother are moving to Tennessee also.

I have so many plans which include a kitchen pantry, a larger pantry in the basement, as well as a root cellar. I noticed a few of you were also interested in a root cellar and I wanted to share a book I purchased with a good deal of information on how to build one, but also shows you how to even store food in your garage and other places if you can't manage an actual root cellar. It's called Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits and Vegetables by Mike and Nancy Bubel.

I also agree having a garden is a really good idea. I'd like to suggest a book called The Resilient Gardener: Food Production and Self-Reliance in Uncertain Times by Carol Deppe. It has how to feed yourself and your family using just 5 crops: potatoes, corn, squash, beans, and eggs. While I may not agree with her view on some things, there is a lot of great information and it is a great place to start if you are looking to figure out what to grow to feed your family while all these shortages are happening.