Matthew

mattfivefour

Continuing on in Matthew....I have read through Matthew 14. Questions are below.

Death of John the Baptist (Matthew 14:1-12)

At that time Herod the tetrarch heard the news about Jesus, and said to his servants, “ This is John the Baptist; he has risen from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers are at work in him.”

For when Herod had John arrested, he bound him and put him in prison because of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip. For John had been saying to him, “ It is not lawful for you to have her.” Although Herod wanted to put him to death, he feared the crowd, because they regarded John as a prophet.

But when Herod’s birthday came, the daughter of Herodias danced before them and pleased Herod, so much that he promised with an oath to give her whatever she asked. Having been prompted by her mother, she *said, “Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist.” Although he was grieved, the king commanded it to be given because of his oaths, and because of his dinner guests. He sent and had John beheaded in the prison. And his head was brought on a platter and given to the girl, and she brought it to her mother. His disciples came and took away the body and buried it; and they went and reported to Jesus.​

1. Did the death of John the Baptist fulfill some prophecy or other purpose in relation to the path that Christ was to follow as He fulfilled His time on Earth?
  2. This passage mentions Herod. Would this be the son of Archelaus, whose own father was also named Herod?

1. The death of John the Baptist was foreseen by God and was clearly part ofHis plan. Had it not been, John would have lived. I believe it was so that there would be no confusion on the people's part as to whom to follow, and hence no interference with Christ's ministry. John had said, "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30). He came to prepare the way for Messiah, not compete with Him. John was just flesh; Christ was God in the flesh.

2. The Herod here is Antipater, the younger brother of Archelaus. Both were sons of Herod the Great. Antipater (called Antipas) was never ruler of Judea or Samaria. Galilee and Perea were his responsibility.

Feeding the 5,000 (Matthew 14:13-21)

Now when Jesus heard about John, He withdrew from there in a boat to a secluded place by Himself; and when the people heard of this, they followed Him on foot from the cities. When He went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and felt compassion for them and healed their sick.

When it was evening, the disciples came to Him and said, “This place is desolate and the hour is already late; so send the crowds away, that they may go into the villages and buy food for themselves.” But Jesus said to them, “They do not need to go away; you give them something to eat!” They *said to Him, “We have here only five loaves and two fish.” And He said, “Bring them here to Me.” Ordering the people to sit down on the grass, He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up toward heaven, He blessed the food, and breaking the loaves He gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds, and they all ate and were satisfied. They picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve full baskets. There were about five thousand men who ate, besides women and children.​

1. Christ withdrew by himself...was this just one example of His daily need to be in fellowship/prayer...alone with God the Father?
  2. Why did Christ tell the disciples to give the crowds food if He already knew there was not enough and he would in turn perform a miracle by feeding that crowd?
  3. I noticed that Christ blessed the loaves prior to breaking them. Is this an example of giving thanks to the God who provides for us? Meaning, even as Christ was in the process of executing a miracle, the example was one that we should recognize. This act is acknowledging that we are utterly dependent upon God the Father for everything. Is this accurate/biblical?
1. Yes.

2. He wanted them to see that whatever He asked them to do He would provide what they needed. He was requiring them to act in faith. He does that with us, too. Whatever God asks us to do, we need to just go forth and do it. We may not think we have sufficient bread to feed others; but as we break it, it will multiply.

3. Yes, yes, and yes.

Jesus Walks on Water (Matthew 14:22-33)

Immediately He made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side, while He sent the crowds away. After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone. But the boat was already a long distance from the land, battered by the waves; for the wind was contrary. And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea. When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “ Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”

Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and *said to him, “ You of little faith, why did you doubt?” When they got into the boat, the wind stopped. And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, “You are certainly God’s Son!”​

1. We again see that Christ is praying by himself. I just found this to be really cool. If there was ever someone who could get by without praying, it would have been Christ. However, He was constantly in prayer and quiet time with the Lord. Amazing to see that present in the scriptures.
  2. Is there a lesson to be drawn from Peter's experience on the water that we can apply to our walk with Christ, faith and so on? I don't want to read too much into it or add to the Lord's word, but it would seem that there is a down through the ages meaning to Peter stepping out boldly - becoming afraid - his boldness vanishing and the sinking - Christ saved him.

1. You have noted a very important point. And if the Son of God required that kind of continual communion, how much more do WE?

2. Yes, as long as Peter kept his eyes on the Lord, he walked on the water as Christ bid him to do. But as soon as he got his eyes off Christ and began to consider the impossibility of his circumstances, he began to sink. This has direct relevance to us and our own walk. But note: Christ did not let him drown.

Robert

Continuing on in Matthew....I have read through Matthew 14. Questions are below.

Death of John the Baptist (Matthew 14:1-12)

At that time Herod the tetrarch heard the news about Jesus, and said to his servants, “ This is John the Baptist; he has risen from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers are at work in him.”

For when Herod had John arrested, he bound him and put him in prison because of Herodias, the wife of his brother Philip. For John had been saying to him, “ It is not lawful for you to have her.” Although Herod wanted to put him to death, he feared the crowd, because they regarded John as a prophet.

But when Herod’s birthday came, the daughter of Herodias danced before them and pleased Herod, so much that he promised with an oath to give her whatever she asked. Having been prompted by her mother, she *said, “Give me here on a platter the head of John the Baptist.” Although he was grieved, the king commanded it to be given because of his oaths, and because of his dinner guests. He sent and had John beheaded in the prison. And his head was brought on a platter and given to the girl, and she brought it to her mother. His disciples came and took away the body and buried it; and they went and reported to Jesus.​

1. Did the death of John the Baptist fulfill some prophecy or other purpose in relation to the path that Christ was to follow as He fulfilled His time on Earth?
  2. This passage mentions Herod. Would this be the son of Archelaus, whose own father was also named Herod?

1) I believe it spelled out horrifically what Jesus said later on:

"“Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation. Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. Behold, your house is being left to you desolate! For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ‘BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!’”

Paul's words reinforce the point:

"For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe. For you, brethren, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, even as they did from the Jews, who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out. They are not pleasing to God, but hostile to all men, hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved; with the result that they always fill up the measure of their sins. But wrath has come upon them to the utmost." (1 Thessalonians 2:13-16, NASB, emphasis mine)

The Lord God had sent them an entire line of prophets stretching back centuries, yet they cursed and killed them. John the Baptist was no different, save he was announcing the coming of the Lord Himself and he was murdered in cold blood! And they would murder Jesus too, a sign that they would murder God Himself rather than humble themselves in repentant faith. Their hearts were solid stone, and this reflected what Jesus had said all along:

""Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you." (Matthew 21:31b, NASB, emphasis mine)

2) No, this was Herod Antipas, who was called the Tetrarch. Scripture confirms this:

"At that time Herod the tetrarch heard the news about Jesus, and said to his servants, “This is John the Baptist; he has risen from the dead, and that is why miraculous powers are at work in him.” (Matthew 14:1-2, NASB, emphasis mine)

Archelaus was the brother of Herod Antipas and half-brother to Herod Phillip 1, as confirmed in the writings of Josephus.

Feeding the 5,000 (Matthew 14:13-21)

Now when Jesus heard about John, He withdrew from there in a boat to a secluded place by Himself; and when the people heard of this, they followed Him on foot from the cities. When He went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and felt compassion for them and healed their sick.

When it was evening, the disciples came to Him and said, “This place is desolate and the hour is already late; so send the crowds away, that they may go into the villages and buy food for themselves.” But Jesus said to them, “They do not need to go away; you give them something to eat!” They *said to Him, “We have here only five loaves and two fish.” And He said, “Bring them here to Me.” Ordering the people to sit down on the grass, He took the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up toward heaven, He blessed the food, and breaking the loaves He gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds, and they all ate and were satisfied. They picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, twelve full baskets. There were about five thousand men who ate, besides women and children.​

1. Christ withdrew by himself...was this just one example of His daily need to be in fellowship/prayer...alone with God the Father?
  2. Why did Christ tell the disciples to give the crowds food if He already knew there was not enough and he would in turn perform a miracle by feeding that crowd?
  3. I noticed that Christ blessed the loaves prior to breaking them. Is this an example of giving thanks to the God who provides for us? Meaning, even as Christ was in the process of executing a miracle, the example was one that we should recognize. This act is acknowledging that we are utterly dependent upon God the Father for everything. Is this accurate/biblical?

1) While I suspect it is an example of Jesus retreating into prayer, it was not the usual time for Him. Usually, Jesus retreated in the early morning. When He heard of John's death, He most likely felt the need to commune with His Father in heaven, thus prompting Him to retreat at this point. But it does illustrate the principle of us seeking the Lord's face and counsel when times of woe and grief first strike.

2) Jesus' point here was to get the disciples involved in the people's needs rather than them just standing there watching them in need. Sometimes, we can act is if we are just bystanders or spectators, when the Lord intends us to care about those in need. He doesn't expect us to have the answer; that's God's department. But our purpose is to not detach ourselves, nor insulate ourselves from others in need. They simply wanted to send the crowds away to fend for themselves, but Jesus knew that would say to the crowds that they only counted when the Lord wanted to speak to them, and they mattered little else.

"When He went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and felt compassion for them and healed their sick."

Jesus loved them too much to simply send them away hungry and faint. The disciples, not being cold-hearted, were rather simply not catching on to the situation as it really was, and were having trouble breaking out of their "comfort zone".

3) Yes it is!!! Jesus set the example for us, demonstrating that as He was subject to the Father and gave thanks for everything, so should we. It was the power of God that brought the miracle, and Jesus gave the glory and praise to the Father because He deserved such praise and glory.

Jesus Walks on Water (Matthew 14:22-33)

Immediately He made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side, while He sent the crowds away. After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone. But the boat was already a long distance from the land, battered by the waves; for the wind was contrary. And in the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea. When the disciples saw Him walking on the sea, they were terrified, and said, “It is a ghost!” And they cried out in fear. But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “ Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”

Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and *said to him, “ You of little faith, why did you doubt?” When they got into the boat, the wind stopped. And those who were in the boat worshiped Him, saying, “You are certainly God’s Son!”​

1. We again see that Christ is praying by himself. I just found this to be really cool. If there was ever someone who could get by without praying, it would have been Christ. However, He was constantly in prayer and quiet time with the Lord. Amazing to see that present in the scriptures.
  2. Is there a lesson to be drawn from Peter's experience on the water that we can apply to our walk with Christ, faith and so on? I don't want to read too much into it or add to the Lord's word, but it would seem that there is a down through the ages meaning to Peter stepping out boldly - becoming afraid - his boldness vanishing and the sinking - Christ saved him.

1) Yes it is. Jesus always sought His Father in prayer, seeking His face, His voice and His words. Since Jesus had always known the Father's love and companionship, He sought it while on earth and regularly went to pray to Him alone.

2) The lesson in Peter's impromptu walk on water is that when we have our eyes on the Lord, we will not sink, But as soon as Peter noticed the storm and the waves instead of the One who created the wind and the sea, he began to sink in the sea! Likewise, when we start out, we can be bold, but when the hard times come and we begin to notice the storms of life more than the Lord, our faith too can "sink"! But like Peter, it is when we cry out for the Lord and reach for Him that He comes to us and pulls us up. But like Peter, we must reach for Him; we cannot keep our hand back nor can we keep our eyes on the storm. It is when Peter began to sink that he looked to the Lord again.

NUmarcus

Thank you for the continued answers! I had made notes for Matthew 15 and 16 on my legal pad as well, but did not have the time to type them all out this evening. I will be back tomorrow with those.

I read up through the transfiguration and on to the parable of the unforgiving servant, but stopped making notes since I felt myself rushing instead of focusing. Really mind blowing thing for me is that every day that I read from the Bible now, something new just clicks...makes perfect sense etc. Just have to keep praying for humility and the patience to let the Lord work. Tough sometimes when I want to try and 'absorb' it like material from textbook or academic journal.

NUmarcus

Just got back from a job interview and I feel awesome! Probably the best I've ever had. Been praying for a job for 6 months and didn't even see that much in interest after 200 resumes. After going to the Lord in prayer...not about jobs and the like...but truly saying "I am broke, tired, and out of thoughts...my way has been one giant mess...just do your will in everything; humble me; show me your purpose; forgive my impatience and arrogance and provide me with the patience and simple faith to just follow. Nothing more." I will admit that I was very frustrated that day and after praying and feeling the battle inside between the quiet peace and my own voice raging away with the ole 'WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?' the phone rang out of the blue. It was the hiring manager for a job that I had applied for in February....made it to the second round in March and then heard nothing. They wanted me to interview today. Well I did and as I opened with, it was the best interview I've ever been in. Like a perfect fitting glove. I never known the peace and thankfulness that I feel today. Not worried about tomorrow and now I get to post some questions about Matthew that I know will return some great answers and discussion about the Lord's word and the work of Christ. Yep....going to be a great day!

Here we go! Matthew 15 and 16! Thanks in advance for the continued responses.

Traditions of the Elders (Matthew 15:1-9)

Then some Pharisees and scribes *came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, “Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.” And He answered and said to them, “Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, ‘ Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘ He who speaks evil of father or mother is to be put to death.’ But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever I have that would help you has been given to God,” he is not to honor his father or his mother.’ And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you:

‘ This people honors Me with their lips,

But their heart is far away from Me.

‘But in vain do they worship Me,

Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’”​

1. I see that the Lord states that the issue here was that the 'Traditions' were in fact human precepts that had been attributed to the Lord. So the Pharisees and Sadducees had taken a man made thing (law) and replaced the perfect law of the Lord and then called that man made thing "from God." Was this just a natural progression of human sin (e.g., arrogance and pride) removing the word of the Lord from society over time?

Things that Defile (Matthew 15:10-20

After Jesus called the crowd to Him, He said to them, “Hear and understand. It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man.”

Then the disciples *came and *said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this statement?” But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father did not plant shall be uprooted. Let them alone; they are blind guides of the blind. And if a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit.”

Peter said to Him, “ Explain the parable to us.” Jesus said, “Are you still lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated? But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders. These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man.”

1. The portion in bold. Is this a reference to the weeds amongst the wheat parable?
  2. Christ's huge point is the state of one's heart...correct? A heart that is not contrite is one that pours fourth evil and one that is contrite is one that pours fourth the desire for repentance; obedience; love; the need for the Lord's word; prayer; fellowship and so on. I have seen it written that we can do nothing apart from Christ, and this seems to be one of the linchpins to being in Christ...the condition of our heart. Is this connected to the Lord's word in Romans where Paul lays out the manner of the law and so on?

Canaanite Woman's Faith (Matthew 15:21-28)

Jesus went away from there, and withdrew into the district of Tyre and Sidon. And a Canaanite woman from that region came out and began to cry out, saying, “Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed.” But He did not answer her a word. And His disciples came and implored Him, saying, “Send her away, because she keeps shouting at us.” But He answered and said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But she came and began to bow down before Him, saying, “Lord, help me!” And He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” But she said, “Yes, Lord; but even the dogs feed on the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.” Then Jesus said to her, “O woman, your faith is great; it shall be done for you as you wish.” And her daughter was healed at once.​

1. Some versions of the bible say Canaanite woman and others say Syrophoenician woman. Is there a difference?
  2. Christ's arrival was in fulfillment of the promise the Lord had made, but this woman's faith is indicative of the fact that faith is faith regardless of one's background (e.g., Jew or Gentile). Is that correct teaching for this passage?

Feeding the 4,000 (Matthew 15:32-39)

And Jesus called His disciples to Him, and said, “ I feel compassion for the people, because they have remained with Me now three days and have nothing to eat; and I do not want to send them away hungry, for they might faint on the way.” The disciples *said to Him, “Where would we get so many loaves in this desolate place to satisfy such a large crowd?” And Jesus *said to them, “How many loaves do you have?” And they said, “Seven, and a few small fish.” And He directed the people to sit down on the ground; and He took the seven loaves and the fish; and giving thanks, He broke them and started giving them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. And they all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, seven large baskets full. And those who ate were four thousand men, besides women and children.

And sending away the crowds, Jesus got into the boat and came to the region of Magadan.​

1. Is the teaching here that Christ had not just a compassion for the hungry, but an all encompassing compassion that covered salvation, daily food, health, fellowship and so on?

Matthew 16

Demand for a Sign (Matthew 16:1-4)

The Pharisees and Sadducees came up, and testing Jesus, they asked Him to show them a sign from heaven. But He replied to them, “ When it is evening, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’ And in the morning, ‘There will be a storm today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times? An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign; and a sign will not be given it, except the sign of Jonah.” And He left them and went away.​

1. The entire purpose of the test by these men was from a wicked heart that was blind to the things of God and hence why Christ pointed out that they can see the skies and interpret weather, but could not see the things of God. This ties into what comes from the heart teaching does it not? The meaning being that believers, then and now, cannot see the truth of the Lord because wickedness dominates their hearts and this in turn blinds them to all of the Lord's things...creation; promises of the Lord; the Gospel of Christ; Salvation; and judgment. Is that accurate here?
  2. What is the sign of Jonah?

Yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees (Matthew 16:5-12)

And the disciples came to the other side of the sea, but they had forgotten to bring any bread. And Jesus said to them, “Watch out and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” They began to discuss this among themselves, saying, “He said that because we did not bring any bread.” But Jesus, aware of this, said, “ You men of little faith, why do you discuss among yourselves that you have no bread? Do you not yet understand or remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets full you picked up? Or the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many large baskets full you picked up? How is it that you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread? But beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” Then they understood that He did not say to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.​

1. This yeast was stated to be the false teachings of these men. Is it biblical to connect this to all false teachings? Meaning that false teachers will always preach that which is of man and not of the Lord? The test is always in the scriptures, hence why the Lord said

But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘ Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.’”​

Peter's Declaration (Matthew 16:13-20)

Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” And they said, “Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.” He *said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.” Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ.​

1. Is the blessing upon Peter not that Peter is the foundation of the church, but the gift of faith and grace that the Lord gives to believers and that is the Church?
  2. Are the terms 'bind' and 'loosed' referring to heavenly treasure that we store up?

Foretelling of Death (Matthew 16:21-23)

From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day. Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “God forbid it, Lord! This shall never happen to You.” But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”​

1. Christ rebukes Peter in this manner because Peter was focused on things of the world (e.g., His kingdom would be there in that moment) and our flesh desires the world and that ties one to Satan which is a stumbling block because it is opposed to the will and purpose of the Lord. The point being that the worldly is of no use and that the blessings we see here and now are in perfect alignment with the Lord's purposes for our growth --> our walk --> His Kingdom --> and His ultimate glory. Is that the correct reading here?

Cross and Self-Denial (Matthew 16:24-28)

Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds.

“Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”​

1. To deny our flesh...our sin self...is to follow Christ. However, this is completely impossible without the gift of saving faith, and this is a life long passage. Is that correct here?
  2. Is Christ also speaking to His 2nd coming as a conquering Messiah (the bold portion)?

Those are the questions I have from Matthew 15 and 16. I have read through Matthew 17, 18, and 19. I will re-read them today and make notes and post up those questions tomorrow. Thanks again and have a great day folks!

Lujack Skylark

I have gotten so much out or reading postings, studies, and explanations on this site and I thank y'all very much. However, I have never really worked through the Bible in any way. I started with a study on Genesis because it appealed to my background in teaching Physical Geography to undergrads while I was completing grad school the last 2 years. However, I had no idea where to start in the NT until I read some responses to questions I posted in the Romans study that Robert completed some time back. Anyway, I just started reading through the NT, and decided Matthew was as good a place as any to start. So, I have started reading Matthew and will continue until I hit Revelation.

I have made it through Matthew, Chapters 1 to 9 over the last 3 days and I have some questions that I would appreciate some fellowship and input on. Thank you in advance for the outstanding answers that I know are coming!

Question 1:

Matthew 1:1-17 lists all of the generations from Abraham to Jesus. At the conclusion the Lord states:

"So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; from David to the deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the deportation to Babylon to the Messiah, fourteen generations."

Is this just to present to us HOW perfect the Lord is in working all things for a perfect end? I ask this because the listing, and the final tally is SO EXACT. Further, is there any significance to 14 in this? I have read and heard about the importance of numbers in the scriptures, but I have no idea if that is Biblical or important to understand.

Question 2:

Matthew 1:18-25

"Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: when His mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child by the Holy Spirit. And Joseph her husband, being a righteous man and not wanting to disgrace her, planned to send her away secretly. But when he had considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “ Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife; for the Child who has been conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.” Now all this took place to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet: “ Behold, the virgin shall be with child and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which translated means, “ God with us.” And Joseph awoke from his sleep and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took Mary as his wife, but kept her a virgin until she gave birth to a Son; and he called His name Jesus."

Is the angel of the Lord God or is it one of the named angels that one sees at points in the Bible? The Bible is God's perfect word and as such there is a point to every element in it. So, when you see a title or phrase like this, is it key to understand that 'angel of the Lord' would mean one thing and an 'angel' as we read of them in the Bible is listed by name (e.g., Gabriel) is another? Or am I thinking too much into this?

Questions 3 and 4:

Matthew 3:4-12

Now John himself had a garment of camel’s hair and a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey. Then Jerusalem was going out to him, and all Judea and all the district around the Jordan; and they were being baptized by him in the Jordan River, as they confessed their sins.

But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, “You brood of vipers, who warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Therefore bear fruit in keeping with repentance; and do not suppose that you can say to yourselves, ‘ We have Abraham for our father’; for I say to you that from these stones God is able to raise up children to Abraham. The axe is already laid at the root of the trees; therefore every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

“As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. His winnowing fork is in His hand, and He will thoroughly clear His threshing floor; and He will gather His wheat into the barn, but He will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.”

First: Why the description of John's appearance? The Lord does not waste words, and I have seen/heard that every piece of scripture is profitable for teaching and reproof. Therefore, is there something key to his description here?

Second: Is the point in bold about Abraham indicating that the Pharisees/Sadducees had replaced faith in the Lord with an idol = Abraham and upon it they had attached some form of holiness or righteousness?

Question 5:

Matthew 5:13

“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men."

Is the Lord saying that without faith in Christ, we are as useless to the needs of men as salt without taste?

Question 6:

Matthew 6:5-15

“When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

“And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their many words. So do not be like them; for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

“ Pray, then, in this way:

‘Our Father who is in heaven,

Hallowed be Your name.

‘ Your kingdom come.

Your will be done,

On earth as it is in heaven.

‘ Give us this day our daily bread.

‘And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.

‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil. [For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.’]

For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

Is this to be a template or guide as to how we pray? My point? I heard a sermon recently that indicated that these passages are like a template. For example, "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name," is like a preamble that we use to get ourselves centered before going into prayer. Meaning, we are approaching a loving BUT holy God and His very name is Holy and we need to remember that before uttering/thinking a single word. The phrases that follow have similar implications according to the sermon I listened to. Is this Biblical or no?

Question 7:

Matthew 9:14-17

Then the disciples of John *came to Him, asking, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast, but Your disciples do not fast?” And Jesus said to them, “The attendants of the bridegroom cannot mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them, can they? But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast. But no one puts a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment; for the patch pulls away from the garment, and a worse tear results. Nor do people put new wine into old wineskins; otherwise the wineskins burst, and the wine pours out and the wineskins are ruined; but they put new wine into fresh wineskins, and both are preserved.”

Is the portions about old versus new cloth/wineskins speaking to our old versus new selves...the old me versus the new me in Christ?

That is what I have so far. I apologize for the length, but unless the mods have an objection...I figured I could make a generic Matthew post and ask questions as I come to them. Thanks again in advance!
There are 42 generations from Abraham to Jesus. Genesis chapter 10 there are 70 tribes. Peleg is 56th tribe. Joktan Peleg's younger brother born and 13 descendents are born after mankind scatters from Babel. Peleg is father of 56th tribe. Nimrod controls 42 tribes all the Hamitic and Shemitic people's. The 14 Japhetic tribes were beyond Nimrod's empire. 56-14=42. The number 42 generations from Abraham to Christ and the 42 months of the anti-Christ's reign. 42 might mean the struggle between good and evil. Did the pagans know 56 tribes fled the Tower of Babel? There are 56 stones marking the circle at Stonehenge. There were 56 cards in the original tarot cards. The pagans knew.
Sargon/Nimrod the builder of Accad/Akkad/Agade (Genesis 10:10 city) reigned for 56 years.

mattfivefour

Traditions of the Elders (Matthew 15:1-9)

Then some Pharisees and scribes *came to Jesus from Jerusalem and said, “Why do Your disciples break the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread.” And He answered and said to them, “Why do you yourselves transgress the commandment of God for the sake of your tradition? For God said, ‘ Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘ He who speaks evil of father or mother is to be put to death.’ But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever I have that would help you has been given to God,” he is not to honor his father or his mother.’ And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition. You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you:

‘ This people honors Me with their lips,

But their heart is far away from Me.

‘But in vain do they worship Me,

Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’”

I see that the Lord states that the issue here was that the 'Traditions' were in fact human precepts that had been attributed to the Lord. So the Pharisees and Sadducees had taken a man made thing (law) and replaced the perfect law of the Lord and then called that man made thing "from God." Was this just a natural progression of human sin (e.g., arrogance and pride) removing the word of the Lord from society over time?

In their fleshly wisdom they attempted to "improve" on God's law. For example, the Sabbath rest. God said, "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shall you labor, and do all your work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD your God: in it you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger that is within your gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day: therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." (Exodus 20:8-11) But the rabbis added all sorts of rules and regulations surrounding this, rules and regulations that God did not have. In fact there are thirty-nine groups of laws regarding activities that are not permitted on the Sabbath but then all sorts of Mishnaic instructions on how to get around most of them. for example, according to the Rabbis it was illegal to carry food from one house to another on the Sabbath as that constituted work. But if the residents of the houses took food and placed it between the dwellings prior to the Sabbath, they could go out and carry it into their houses without breaking the specific rabbinic regulation regarding the type of work known as carrying (or trasferring from one domain to another). There are two entire chapters of Talmud tractate shabbat devoted to this one subject, along with numerous other rabbinical writings.

Another example is cutting. You can cut something on the Sabbath, as long as you do not measure it. If you cut it to an exact length, then you have violated the Sabbath law. This type of man-made law was the type of thing that Jesus was speaking against.

Things that Defile (Matthew 15:10-20

After Jesus called the crowd to Him, He said to them, “Hear and understand. It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man.”

Then the disciples *came and *said to Him, “Do You know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this statement?” But He answered and said, “Every plant which My heavenly Father did not plant shall be uprooted. Let them alone; they are blind guides of the blind. And if a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit.”

Peter said to Him, “ Explain the parable to us.” Jesus said, “Are you still lacking in understanding also? Do you not understand that everything that goes into the mouth passes into the stomach, and is eliminated? But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man. For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders. These are the things which defile the man; but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile the man.”

The portion in bold. Is this a reference to the weeds amongst the wheat parable?
Christ's huge point is the state of one's heart...correct? A heart that is not contrite is one that pours fourth evil and one that is contrite is one that pours fourth the desire for repentance; obedience; love; the need for the Lord's word; prayer; fellowship and so on. I have seen it written that we can do nothing apart from Christ, and this seems to be one of the linchpins to being in Christ...the condition of our heart. Is this connected to the Lord's word in Romans where Paul lays out the manner of the law and so on?
In the narrow sense, this is a reference to not all teachers and preachers being of God. In the broader sense it applies, as you say, to all people ... tares among the wheat. And, yes, you are correct that Christ's reference is indeed to the heart in this teaching. The heart is the seat of God in a person ... and what is in the heart will be manifested in what comes from the mouth or what shows in a person's behavior. But remember— sanctification is progressive and there are no perfect people on earth. Thus no man will manifest perfect Christ-likeness here. So don't look at human weaknesses in some and suggest that they are not saved. Of course, that is not an excuse to live like the world, either. It is in the inward desire to please God that we know we are saved; and it is in visible growth in Christ and change in behavior as time goes by that this is manifested externally.

Canaanite Woman's Faith (Matthew 15:21-28)

Jesus went away from there, and withdrew into the district of Tyre and Sidon. And a Canaanite woman from that region came out and began to cry out, saying, “Have mercy on me, Lord, Son of David; my daughter is cruelly demon-possessed.” But He did not answer her a word. And His disciples came and implored Him, saying, “Send her away, because she keeps shouting at us.” But He answered and said, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.” But she came and began to bow down before Him, saying, “Lord, help me!” And He answered and said, “It is not good to take the children’s bread and throw it to the dogs.” But she said, “Yes, Lord; but even the dogs feed on the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.” Then Jesus said to her, “O woman, your faith is great; it shall be done for you as you wish.” And her daughter was healed at once.

Some versions of the bible say Canaanite woman and others say Syrophoenician woman. Is there a difference?
Christ's arrival was in fulfillment of the promise the Lord had made, but this woman's faith is indicative of the fact that faith is faith regardless of one's background (e.g., Jew or Gentile). Is that correct teaching for this passage?
The Phoenicians were the Canaanites. So calling her a Canaanite is correct. Syrophoenician indicates she was a Canaanite from the Roman province of Syria.

Feeding the 4,000 (Matthew 15:32-39)

And Jesus called His disciples to Him, and said, “ I feel compassion for the people, because they have remained with Me now three days and have nothing to eat; and I do not want to send them away hungry, for they might faint on the way.” The disciples *said to Him, “Where would we get so many loaves in this desolate place to satisfy such a large crowd?” And Jesus *said to them, “How many loaves do you have?” And they said, “Seven, and a few small fish.” And He directed the people to sit down on the ground; and He took the seven loaves and the fish; and giving thanks, He broke them and started giving them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people. And they all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up what was left over of the broken pieces, seven large baskets full. And those who ate were four thousand men, besides women and children.

And sending away the crowds, Jesus got into the boat and came to the region of Magadan.

Is the teaching here that Christ had not just a compassion for the hungry, but an all encompassing compassion that covered salvation, daily food, health, fellowship and so on?
Well, yes, this manifests Christ's compassion and his concern for ALL human needs and ALL facets of human existence. But it also speaks to the same point as the feeding of the seven thousand ... which point is discussed in a previous response in this thread.

Matthew 16

Demand for a Sign (Matthew 16:1-4)

The Pharisees and Sadducees came up, and testing Jesus, they asked Him to show them a sign from heaven. But He replied to them, “ When it is evening, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red.’ And in the morning, ‘There will be a storm today, for the sky is red and threatening.’ Do you know how to discern the appearance of the sky, but cannot discern the signs of the times? An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign; and a sign will not be given it, except the sign of Jonah.” And He left them and went away.

The entire purpose of the test by these men was from a wicked heart that was blind to the things of God and hence why Christ pointed out that they can see the skies and interpret weather, but could not see the things of God. This ties into what comes from the heart teaching does it not? The meaning being that believers, then and now, cannot see the truth of the Lord because wickedness dominates their hearts and this in turn blinds them to all of the Lord's things...creation; promises of the Lord; the Gospel of Christ; Salvation; and judgment. Is that accurate here?
What is the sign of Jonah?
Jesus is alluding to His coming death, burial, and resurrection three days later. Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and nights, so too will Christ be in the belly of the earth, so to speak. THAT would be the one incomparable and incontrovertible sign of Christ's Messiahship. And it was. And still IS!

Yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees (Matthew 16:5-12)

And the disciples came to the other side of the sea, but they had forgotten to bring any bread. And Jesus said to them, “Watch out and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” They began to discuss this among themselves, saying, “He said that because we did not bring any bread.” But Jesus, aware of this, said, “ You men of little faith, why do you discuss among yourselves that you have no bread? Do you not yet understand or remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets full you picked up? Or the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many large baskets full you picked up? How is it that you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread? But beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” Then they understood that He did not say to beware of the leaven of bread, but of the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

This yeast was stated to be the false teachings of these men. Is it biblical to connect this to all false teachings? Meaning that false teachers will always preach that which is of man and not of the Lord? The test is always in the scriptures, hence why the Lord said

But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘ Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God.’”
No, yeast refers neither to bad teaching or good teaching. It refers simply to teaching. Not all teaching is bad. Jesus specified "Beware of the yeast of the Pharisees." (Mark 16:6,11-12 and elsewhere) Yet he also likened the Kingdom of Heaven to yeast hidden in a lump of dough that grows and grows until it affects the whole lump. (Matthew 13:33)

However, you are correct in that the answr is always in scripture. But scripture properly divided, bread properly broken. Remember, Satan quoted Scripture, too. He just did it incorrectly to attempt to lead astray. Jesus answered him with scripture properly used.

Peter's Declaration (Matthew 16:13-20)

Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, He was asking His disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” And they said, “Some say John the Baptist; and others, Elijah; but still others, Jeremiah, or one of the prophets.” He *said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.” Then He warned the disciples that they should tell no one that He was the Christ.

Is the blessing upon Peter not that Peter is the foundation of the church, but the gift of faith and grace that the Lord gives to believers and that is the Church?
Are the terms 'bind' and 'loosed' referring to heavenly treasure that we store up?
He is not blest but blessed. In other words Jesus is not blessing Peter here but stating that Peter is evidently happy, honored, pleasing to God because he, Peter, did not figure this out with his mind but, rather, it was revealed to him directly by God. The binding and loosing refer to what man as organisms in the body of Christ, the Church, must do: They are to bind only what God has bound and loose only what God has loosed. The keys of Heaven (I know you did not ask this but I am anticipating it may be some reader's mind), the keys of Heaven refer to the Gospel. Peter, first of all, but all men who follow in his footsteps of faith, have in fact the means of opening up the kingdom of Heaven to all who will hear them ... through preaching and teaching and simple witnessing.

Foretelling of Death (Matthew 16:21-23)

From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day. Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “God forbid it, Lord! This shall never happen to You.” But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”

Christ rebukes Peter in this manner because Peter was focused on things of the world (e.g., His kingdom would be there in that moment) and our flesh desires the world and that ties one to Satan which is a stumbling block because it is opposed to the will and purpose of the Lord. The point being that the worldly is of no use and that the blessings we see here and now are in perfect alignment with the Lord's purposes for our growth --> our walk --> His Kingdom --> and His ultimate glory. Is that the correct reading here?
Yes. You are correct.

Cross and Self-Denial (Matthew 16:24-28)

Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds.

“Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

To deny our flesh...our sin self...is to follow Christ. However, this is completely impossible without the gift of saving faith, and this is a life long passage. Is that correct here?
Is Christ also speaking to His 2nd coming as a conquering Messiah (the bold portion)?
To your first question, the short answer is "yes". The long answer could fill many discourses! I frequently refer to this process of sanctification in the articles I write and in the responses I post to other articles. The answer to your second question is "no"— "“Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom" does not refer to Christ's Second Coming. The Bible is its own best commentary. Both Mark and Luke give the true meaning: Mark says, "Until they have seen the kingdom of God come with power." (Mark 9:1) Luke says, "Till they see the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:27) Clearly the reference is to the coming of the Church. The Church, indwelt by the Holy Spirit, manifests God's kingdom on earth and it came into being with great power as the Holy Spirit arrived on and in the believers on the day of Pentecost. And from that small beginning it grew to cover the world. But do not mistake that the Kingdom of Heaven is to be some earthly Kingdom that we create and when it is ready Jesus will return. that is Kingdom teaching. That will not happen. Christ returns and creates the Kingdom, the Kingdom does not create the return of Christ. Just remember that the Kingdom of God dwells in each believer and is thus in existence in the Church. All whom we bring to Christ will thus enter the Kingdom here spiritually. As a result, following their death or the Rapture, they will then enter the physical Kingdom of God where they will dwell forever.

NUmarcus

I have re-read through the answers to date and I have pulled my questions into word documents and then pasted in the answers in different colors as a basic FAQ that I can refer to as I return to the scriptures. For your patience in answering my questions you have my thanks and gratitude.

Moving on to Matthew 17

Matthew 17: The Transfiguration

Six days later Jesus *took with Him Peter and James and John his brother, and *led them up on a high mountain by themselves. And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” While he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, “ This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!” When the disciples heard this, they fell face down to the ground and were terrified. And Jesus came to them and touched them and said, “Get up, and do not be afraid.” And lifting up their eyes, they saw no one except Jesus Himself alone.

As they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them, saying, “ Tell the vision to no one until the Son of Man has risen from the dead.” And His disciples asked Him, “Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?” And He answered and said, “Elijah is coming and will restore all things; but I say to you that Elijah already came, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” Then the disciples understood that He had spoken to them about John the Baptist.​

1. When Christ was transfigured, Peter, James, and John saw Christ in His true essence correct? The voice from the clouds was God the Father, correct? That had to be an instance of utter terror and amazement for Peter, James, and John. It would seem that just hearing the audible voice of the Lord is more than enough to cut to our core and show us just how unworthy we are to be in His presence aside from Christ.
  2. What was the point of showing Christ in His true Glory to these followers at this point in Christ's ministry on Earth? Was this to add further weight to the fact that Christ is the Lord and not just a prophet or 'great leader' as some were saying?

Matthew 17: The Demoniac

When they came to the crowd, a man came up to Jesus, falling on his knees before Him and saying, “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is a lunatic and is very ill; for he often falls into the fire and often into the water. I brought him to Your disciples, and they could not cure him.” And Jesus answered and said, “You unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me.” And Jesus rebuked him, and the demon came out of him, and the boy was cured at once.

Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not drive it out?” And He *said to them, “Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. [ But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”]

And while they were gathering together in Galilee, Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men; and they will kill Him, and He will be raised on the third day.” And they were deeply grieved.​

1. FAITH is the main element I see here. However, my question revolves around a previous answer that Matt provided. Sanctification is a progressive process. Does our faith also progress within this process of sanctification? Correct me if I am wrong, but the scriptures make it pretty plane that the faith to see Christ for what He is, is in deed a gift from the Lord. Therefore, do we receive added measures of faith as we grow in our walk with the Lord as further gifts?
  2. The apostles could not cast out the demon in that child due to their lack of faith, but Christ also said that, that particular type required prayer and fasting. My question revolves around this type of spiritual warfare we see here. WE are to be constantly in the word and in prayer so that we will be prepared for the attacks of the enemy. However, when we are confronted by this type of evil is it because the Lord knows that we are mature enough to encounter it and in turn He provides us with the strength to overcome in prayer and in His word...is that correct? Further, is it not also a form of putting the Lord to the test if we seek out these types of encounters? What I mean by this latter question is derived from some of the things I have read or even seen on YouTube concerning preachers/others casting out demons. It would seem that these types of examples are folks who are seeking to do battle on this level and that strikes me as prideful and dangerous. Am I way off here or do I have this turned around in a pretzel type understanding?

Matthew 17: The Tribute Money

When they came to Capernaum, those who collected the two-drachma tax came to Peter and said, “Does your teacher not pay the two-drachma tax?” He *said, “Yes.” And when he came into the house, Jesus spoke to him first, saying, “What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth collect customs or poll-tax, from their sons or from strangers?” When Peter said, “From strangers,” Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are exempt. However, so that we do not offend them, go to the sea and throw in a hook, and take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for you and Me.”​

1. Is the point of this teaching part of/linked to Christ saying that we are to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and to render unto the Lord what is the Lord's? Further, and I don't want to make this sound like we pray for wealth, but this does appear to be a case where the Lord provides, yet again, when our heart is synced up with Him. Is that accurate here?

NUmarcus

Unless somebody else wants to answer now, bro, I will do so in the morning. Just heading to bed now.

Thanks for the heads up Matt. Answer away whenever you get the time. The same for the other fine folks on here. I'm content to wait. I'll just keep reading ahead and coming up with questions. I'm just happy to have this resource at my finger tips day or night.

mattfivefour

I apologize for not getting back to this until now, bro.

I have re-read through the answers to date and I have pulled my questions into word documents and then pasted in the answers in different colors as a basic FAQ that I can refer to as I return to the scriptures. For your patience in answering my questions you have my thanks and gratitude.

Moving on to Matthew 17

Matthew 17: The Transfiguration

Six days later Jesus *took with Him Peter and James and John his brother, and *led them up on a high mountain by themselves. And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” While he was still speaking, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, “ This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!” When the disciples heard this, they fell face down to the ground and were terrified. And Jesus came to them and touched them and said, “Get up, and do not be afraid.” And lifting up their eyes, they saw no one except Jesus Himself alone.

As they were coming down from the mountain, Jesus commanded them, saying, “ Tell the vision to no one until the Son of Man has risen from the dead.” And His disciples asked Him, “Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?” And He answered and said, “Elijah is coming and will restore all things; but I say to you that Elijah already came, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.” Then the disciples understood that He had spoken to them about John the Baptist.​

1. When Christ was transfigured, Peter, James, and John saw Christ in His true essence correct? The voice from the clouds was God the Father, correct? That had to be an instance of utter terror and amazement for Peter, James, and John. It would seem that just hearing the audible voice of the Lord is more than enough to cut to our core and show us just how unworthy we are to be in His presence aside from Christ.
  2. What was the point of showing Christ in His true Glory to these followers at this point in Christ's ministry on Earth? Was this to add further weight to the fact that Christ is the Lord and not just a prophet or 'great leader' as some were saying?

1. There is debate whether metamorphoo in the Greek implies a change in Christ's being from flesh to his glorified substance. I think it not likely for a number of reasons, chiefly that He had to remain in the flesh He put on at birth in order for His sacrifice to be effective. He had to be exactly like fallen man in the flesh but without sin. I think more likely was that his inner essence of perfect purity was disclosed by God at that moment so that there could be no doubt about His identity among his three core disciples, those who would lead the Church that would be founded upon His sacrifice and Resurrection and the sending of the Holy Spirit to dwell in His followers. And the glory of that essence was so powerful that it shone through His very clothes making them appear white than white (which, symbolically, speaks of perfect purity and holiness). This then answers your other wuestions: yes, the voice was the Father; and they were terrified as will ALL men be before God. Look at Isaiah and John! Both were terrified (Isaiah 6:5; Revelation 1:17) before God because of the awareness of uncleanness before his Holiness.

2. Yes. The greatest leaders and prophets in the eyes of Israel were Moses, giver of the Law, and Elijah, giver of prophecy. And the three special disciples responded by wanting to honor them on a par with Jesus. But God made it clear Moses and Elijah were not at all on the same plane as Jesus, but far lower. Jesus alone is to be exalted.

Matthew 17: The Demoniac

When they came to the crowd, a man came up to Jesus, falling on his knees before Him and saying, “Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is a lunatic and is very ill; for he often falls into the fire and often into the water. I brought him to Your disciples, and they could not cure him.” And Jesus answered and said, “You unbelieving and perverted generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring him here to Me.” And Jesus rebuked him, and the demon came out of him, and the boy was cured at once.

Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why could we not drive it out?” And He *said to them, “Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. [ But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”]

And while they were gathering together in Galilee, Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men; and they will kill Him, and He will be raised on the third day.” And they were deeply grieved.​

1. FAITH is the main element I see here. However, my question revolves around a previous answer that Matt provided. Sanctification is a progressive process. Does our faith also progress within this process of sanctification? Correct me if I am wrong, but the scriptures make it pretty plane that the faith to see Christ for what He is, is in deed a gift from the Lord. Therefore, do we receive added measures of faith as we grow in our walk with the Lord as further gifts?
  2. The apostles could not cast out the demon in that child due to their lack of faith, but Christ also said that, that particular type required prayer and fasting. My question revolves around this type of spiritual warfare we see here. WE are to be constantly in the word and in prayer so that we will be prepared for the attacks of the enemy. However, when we are confronted by this type of evil is it because the Lord knows that we are mature enough to encounter it and in turn He provides us with the strength to overcome in prayer and in His word...is that correct? Further, is it not also a form of putting the Lord to the test if we seek out these types of encounters? What I mean by this latter question is derived from some of the things I have read or even seen on YouTube concerning preachers/others casting out demons. It would seem that these types of examples are folks who are seeking to do battle on this level and that strikes me as prideful and dangerous. Am I way off here or do I have this turned around in a pretzel type understanding?

1. No, God gives each man "a measure of faith" (Romans 12:3; Ephesians 2:8). Faith needs to be brought to perfection which occurs through various means ordained by God. We see that in 1 Thessalonians 3:10; James 2:22; 1 Peter 1:7, 4:12; James 1:3. Jesus makes it clear that it is not the amount of faith (Matthew 17:20; Luke 17:6), but its perfection that counts.

2. Yes, that is somewhat correct, and I say "somewhat" because I do not know enough about casting out demons to state it with all scriptural certainty. I have studied the subject, I have been in the presence of actual demons, and I have seen actual deliverances. But it is a subject that should not be our focus at all. So that answers your next question which is that it is putting the Lord to a foolish test to go seeking demons out. Those who fancy themselves as having a demon ministry are surely puffed up in their flesh. There is no such thing. However there is a gift of the Spirit of discerning of spirits and we ALL receive whatever power we need for any situation when a situation arises, regardless of what it is. Christ once-and-for-all defeated Satan and all his powers by the Cross. It is enough for me that I bear the name of Christ and that I seek to walk so close to Him that I am able to access His authority in dealing with a demon should I ever encounter one. His Spirit both gives me the discernment when I need it and has given me the power on the very few occasions I have needed it with regard to a demon. I have never gone looking for one; the few situations came up unawares. But the power of God and His authority imputed to me (as to every other Christian) never failed once. Don't ever let some self-inflated indivual try to tell you about all the demons he or she has warred against!

Matthew 17: The Tribute Money

When they came to Capernaum, those who collected the two-drachma tax came to Peter and said, “Does your teacher not pay the two-drachma tax?” He *said, “Yes.” And when he came into the house, Jesus spoke to him first, saying, “What do you think, Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth collect customs or poll-tax, from their sons or from strangers?” When Peter said, “From strangers,” Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are exempt. However, so that we do not offend them, go to the sea and throw in a hook, and take the first fish that comes up; and when you open its mouth, you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for you and Me.”​

1. Is the point of this teaching part of/linked to Christ saying that we are to render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and to render unto the Lord what is the Lord's? Further, and I don't want to make this sound like we pray for wealth, but this does appear to be a case where the Lord provides, yet again, when our heart is synced up with Him. Is that accurate here?

1. To your first question the answer is a qualified yes. "Qualified" because, while Christ is definitely demonstrating exactly what you said (render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and to render unto the Lord what is the Lord's) I think the deeper teaching is that God can and will provide exactly what we need when we need it. So that gives an unqualified yes to your final question.

I pray this has helped. If you require further expansion to these or any other answers in this thread, please do not hesitate to ask ... either here on by PM.

NUmarcus

Matthew 18: Stumbling Blocks

“Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!

“ If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire. If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell.

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven. [ For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost.] (Matthew 18:7-11)​

1.) What is the application of plucking out an eye or cutting off a foot when it comes to sin? My feeling is that this is an extreme example that highlights the Lord's admonition for us to flee from sin.

Matthew 19: Concerning Divorce

The disciples *said to Him, “If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry.” But He said to them, “ Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given. For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.” (Matthew 19:10-12​

1.) So is the Lord stating that there are in fact some men who are just not called to marriage and therefore should remain unmarried...their calling is serving the Lord in some capacity that just clicks better in the Lord's timing and will when they are single?

Kind of short today, but I've been reading ahead and reading other parts of the Bible so I haven't forgotten to see this through. I have also gotten a job after almost 7 months of looking (Thank YOU LORD!) and have been a bit occupied as of late getting some background investigations completed. Anyway, I will be back to post again tomorrow when I am a little more fresh...I have gotten my days and nights turned around the last 6 months and I am staying up for 24 hours today to begin the flip process...anyway I'm not really sharp right now and I hadn't converted my written notes to typed notes for Matthew 20+ and I don't want to short change the thread or any other reader down the road. Thanks in advance!

mattfivefour

Matthew 18: Stumbling Blocks

“Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!

“ If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; it is better for you to enter life crippled or lame, than to have two hands or two feet and be cast into the eternal fire. If your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out and throw it from you. It is better for you to enter life with one eye, than to have two eyes and be cast into the fiery hell.

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven. [ For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost.] (Matthew 18:7-11)​

1.) What is the application of plucking out an eye or cutting off a foot when it comes to sin? My feeling is that this is an extreme example that highlights the Lord's admonition for us to flee from sin.

You are correct. It was an example of hyperbole: Jesus was stating in terms that were absolutely unmistakable to his hearers that it there must be NOTHING on this earth—even your own most necessary hand, foot, or eye—that is to be allowed to interfere with your walk with God. So Jesus is first conveying the general truth that if something causes you to stumble, no matter how precious it is to you, get rid of it. But there is a more specific message in this, as well. I note that the foot speaks of where we go, the hand of what we do, the eye of what we look at. If we like to go places where we should not, if we like to do things that we should not, if we like to look at things that we should not, then we need to remove those things from our lives. Stop going to the bars, or the strip joints, or the crude entertainments; stop getting drunk, stop cursing, stop hurting others, stop engaging in flirting, or extramarital affairs, or lying or cheating or any of the myriad other fractures of the holiness and purity God has called us to; stop looking at pornography, or at other things that cause you to have impure thoughts, stop desiring the things of this world. All that is wrapped up in Matthew 128:8-9.

Matthew 19: Concerning Divorce

The disciples *said to Him, “If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry.” But He said to them, “ Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given. For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.” (Matthew 19:10-12​

1.) So is the Lord stating that there are in fact some men who are just not called to marriage and therefore should remain unmarried...their calling is serving the Lord in some capacity that just clicks better in the Lord's timing and will when they are single?
In part, yes. Note that there are three types of "eunuchs", meaning those who do not marry:

a) Those who were born that way
b) Those who are made that way by their environment or the actions of others
c) Those who deliberately choose to be that way so that they can concentrate ONLY on pleasing the Lord. Remember what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 7. In the context of speaking of devotion to God, He said that he wished everyone was unmarried like himself. Certainly a single Christian man (or woman) has nobody else to please but God. However, Paul recognized that many people cannot live celibate and so he said that for them it is better to marry.​

Kind of short today, but I've been reading ahead and reading other parts of the Bible so I haven't forgotten to see this through. I have also gotten a job after almost 7 months of looking (Thank YOU LORD!) and have been a bit occupied as of late getting some background investigations completed. Anyway, I will be back to post again tomorrow when I am a little more fresh...I have gotten my days and nights turned around the last 6 months and I am staying up for 24 hours today to begin the flip process...anyway I'm not really sharp right now and I hadn't converted my written notes to typed notes for Matthew 20+ and I don't want to short change the thread or any other reader down the road. Thanks in advance!
Hey! short is good! Especially since I do not have much time between now and next Tuesday. BTW, congratulations on the job! And praise God for His goodness to you in this regard! He is indeed good!

NUmarcus

BTW, congratulations on the job! And praise God for His goodness to you in this regard! He is indeed good!

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! THANK YOU LORD! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Matthew 20: Laborers in the Vineyard

“For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. When he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius for the day, he sent them into his vineyard. And he went out about the third hour and saw others standing idle in the market place; and to those he said, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.’ And so they went. Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did the same thing. And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing around; and he *said to them, ‘Why have you been standing here idle all day long?’ They *said to him, ‘Because no one hired us.’ He *said to them, ‘You go into the vineyard too.’

“When evening came, the owner of the vineyard *said to his foreman, ‘Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last group to the first.’ When those hired about the eleventh hour came, each one received a denarius. When those hired first came, they thought that they would receive more; but each of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they grumbled at the landowner, saying, ‘These last men have worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the scorching heat of the day.’ But he answered and said to one of them, ‘ Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what is yours and go, but I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own? Or is your eye envious because I am generous?’ So the last shall be first, and the first last.” (Matthew 20:1-16)​

1.) I am a bit confused on this one. The Kingdom of Heaven is like this landowner and his dealings with the workers. The first last and the last first is referring to Israel and Gentiles is it not? Meaning, the Jews at that time had the idea that since they were chosen by the Lord they would receive a greater share of the blessings from the Lord? Whereas the Lord is generous to all who seek Him and come to Him? Is that what the Lord is teaching here?

Matthew 20: Preferment Asked

Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to Jesus with her sons, bowing down and making a request of Him. And He said to her, “What do you wish?” She *said to Him, “Command that in Your kingdom these two sons of mine may sit one on Your right and one on Your left.” But Jesus answered, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?” They *said to Him, “We are able.” He *said to them, “ My cup you shall drink; but to sit on My right and on My left, this is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by My Father.”

And hearing this, the ten became indignant with the two brothers. But Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:20-28)​

1.) Who were the sons of Zebedee?

2.) It would seem that her request was borne out of a misconception that Christ's 'kingdom' would be an Earthly one centered in Jerusalem with a united Israel at the forefront of all things. However, the cup that Christ was to drink of was persecution; death; and resurrection. From that, the placement of seats about the throne was not in an Earthly 'lords of the court' manner, but instead a Heavenly throne...something that Christ was not in position to grant...that was for the Father. However, the blessing of drinking Christ's cup was that of salvation which they could drink from and that would result in Heavenly blessings. However, unlike the world...to be counted as first in the Heavenly Kingdom we must be humble servants and not dominating lords...we put Christ first just as Christ put us first. Is this correct?

3.) To sit at the left and right is for those who it has been prepared by the Father...what is this portion speaking to? Is Christ speaking to the future Church or are these saints who survive the tribulation?

Thanks for the continued input!

mattfivefour

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! THANK YOU LORD! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Matthew 20: Laborers in the Vineyard

“For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. When he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius for the day, he sent them into his vineyard. And he went out about the third hour and saw others standing idle in the market place; and to those he said, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.’ And so they went. Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did the same thing. And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing around; and he *said to them, ‘Why have you been standing here idle all day long?’ They *said to him, ‘Because no one hired us.’ He *said to them, ‘You go into the vineyard too.’

“When evening came, the owner of the vineyard *said to his foreman, ‘Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last group to the first.’ When those hired about the eleventh hour came, each one received a denarius. When those hired first came, they thought that they would receive more; but each of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they grumbled at the landowner, saying, ‘These last men have worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the scorching heat of the day.’ But he answered and said to one of them, ‘ Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what is yours and go, but I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own? Or is your eye envious because I am generous?’ So the last shall be first, and the first last.” (Matthew 20:1-16)​

1.) I am a bit confused on this one. The Kingdom of Heaven is like this landowner and his dealings with the workers. The first last and the last first is referring to Israel and Gentiles is it not? Meaning, the Jews at that time had the idea that since they were chosen by the Lord they would receive a greater share of the blessings from the Lord? Whereas the Lord is generous to all who seek Him and come to Him? Is that what the Lord is teaching here?
Essentially, yes. We can also take from this the idea that there is no preference in God's Kingdom. The later worker is as rewarded as the first worker, and vice versa. Just as the prodigal son was forgiven his waywardness and restored to equal favor with the faithful son, so too those who are called late to the work will share equally with those who were there at the beginning. Ultimately, God is supreme and we are in no position to question what He chooses to do.

Matthew 20: Preferment Asked

Then the mother of the sons of Zebedee came to Jesus with her sons, bowing down and making a request of Him. And He said to her, “What do you wish?” She *said to Him, “Command that in Your kingdom these two sons of mine may sit one on Your right and one on Your left.” But Jesus answered, “You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?” They *said to Him, “We are able.” He *said to them, “ My cup you shall drink; but to sit on My right and on My left, this is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it has been prepared by My Father.”

And hearing this, the ten became indignant with the two brothers. But Jesus called them to Himself and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their great men exercise authority over them. It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” (Matthew 20:20-28)​

1.) Who were the sons of Zebedee?
James and John. (Mark 1:19)

2.) It would seem that her request was borne out of a misconception that Christ's 'kingdom' would be an Earthly one centered in Jerusalem with a united Israel at the forefront of all things. However, the cup that Christ was to drink of was persecution; death; and resurrection. From that, the placement of seats about the throne was not in an Earthly 'lords of the court' manner, but instead a Heavenly throne...something that Christ was not in position to grant...that was for the Father. However, the blessing of drinking Christ's cup was that of salvation which they could drink from and that would result in Heavenly blessings. However, unlike the world...to be counted as first in the Heavenly Kingdom we must be humble servants and not dominating lords...we put Christ first just as Christ put us first. Is this correct?
Yes.

3.) To sit at the left and right is for those who it has been prepared by the Father...what is this portion speaking to? Is Christ speaking to the future Church or are these saints who survive the tribulation?
It is speaking to all those who will come to salvation, regardless of the dispensation. I don't know if this will help you or confuse you more; but here is what Albert Barnes has to say about the meaning of Matthew 20:23:

"The translation here evidently does not express the sense of the original. The translation expresses the idea that Jesus has nothing to do in bestowing rewards on his followers. This is at variance with the uniform testimony of the Scriptures, Matthew 25:31-40; John 5:22-30. The correct translation of the passage would be, "To sit on my right hand and on my left is not mine to give, except to those for whom it is prepared by my Father." The passage thus declares that Christ would give rewards to his followers, but only to such as should be entitled to them according to the purpose of his Father. Much as he might be attached to these two disciples, yet he could not bestow any such signal favors on them out of the regular course of things. Rewards were prepared for his followers, and in due time they should be bestowed. He would bestow them according as they had been provided from eternity by God the Father (Matthew 25:34)."​

Thanks for the continued input!
You're welcome, bro. After today, I will be away until Tuesday.

NUmarcus

Matthew 21:18-21

The Barren Fig Tree

Now in the morning, when He was returning to the city, He became hungry. Seeing a lone fig tree by the road, He came to it and found nothing on it except leaves only; and He *said to it, “No longer shall there ever be any fruit from you.” And at once the fig tree withered.

Seeing this, the disciples were amazed and asked, “How did the fig tree wither all at once?” And Jesus answered and said to them, “Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it will happen. And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”​

1. I have read in other bible study articles and in some postings on this message board that the a tree is often used to symbolize Israel. Is that accurate AND does it apply in this instance? It does not seem to. Instead the tree seems more representative of a someone who is neither hot nor cold.

Matthew 21:28-32

“But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go work today in the vineyard.’ And he answered, ‘I will not’; but afterward he regretted it and went. The man came to the second and said the same thing; and he answered, ‘I will, sir’; but he did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?” They *said, “The first.” Jesus *said to them, “Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you. For John came to you in the way of righteousness and you did not believe him; but the tax collectors and prostitutes did believe him; and you, seeing this, did not even feel remorse afterward so as to believe him.​

1. It seems that this passage points to two things - repentance and arrogance/pride. The former is indicative of those who realize they have done wrong (e.g., the son who 'regretted') and do an about face and the latter is indicative of those (e.g., like the chief priests) who are full of an academic understanding of the Lord's word but are not really doing the work of the Lord. Is that accurate?

Matthew 21:33-36 - Parable of the Landowner

1. In reading this parable I see that:

- Landowner is the Lord
- The vineyard is the world OR just the land promised by the Lord in His covenants with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and on down?
- The renter's would be Israel
- The slaves sent at harvest are prophets sent by the Lord
- The son is Christ

Is this correct here?

2. I am having trouble with the following:

Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people, producing the fruit of it. And he who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; but on whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust.”​

The bolded part is what I am having trouble discerning the Lord's meaning on. I understand the first part is speaking to the coming inclusion of the Gentiles in the blessing of salvation. It is that second part that I am lost on.

Matthew 22:29-33

But Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God: ‘ I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.” When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at His teaching.​

1. Don't have any questions....just found this piece of scripture to be really, really, really awesome.

Matthew 22:34-40

But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “ ‘ You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘ You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”​

1. I really liked this passage as well. My only question relates to our walk with the Lord. Conviction unto salvation is a gift from the Lord that we cannot earn or develop of our own accord. Our walk through our lives with the Lord is one of ongoing change which is sanctification. Is the love we have for the Lord a (not sure if this is a good word) byproduct or out growth of the gifts that brought us to the cross and into the Lord's family?

Matthew 22 - End of Chapter

‘ The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at My right hand,
Until I put Your enemies beneath Your feet”’?​

This comes from Psalm 110 does it not?

The Lord says to my Lord:

“ Sit at My right hand

Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.”

The Lord will stretch forth Your strong scepter from Zion, saying,

“ Rule in the midst of Your enemies.”

Your people will volunteer freely in the day of Your power;

In holy array, from the womb of the dawn,

Your youth are to You as the dew.

The Lord has sworn and will not change His mind,

“You are a priest forever

According to the order of Melchizedek.”

The Lord is at Your right hand;

He will shatter kings in the day of His wrath.

He will judge among the nations,

He will fill them with corpses,

He will shatter the chief men over a broad country.

He will drink from the brook by the wayside;

Therefore He will lift up His head.​

1. So in this passage Christ is pointing the priests to what the Lord spoke of to or through David about Christ...is that correct.

2. Is Psalm 110 speaking to the second coming of Christ at the end of the tribulation?

mattfivefour

OK, I am going to have another run at this. I just had most of it written when I had a computer burp and lost the whole thing!

Matthew 21:18-21

The Barren Fig Tree

Now in the morning, when He was returning to the city, He became hungry. Seeing a lone fig tree by the road, He came to it and found nothing on it except leaves only; and He *said to it, “No longer shall there ever be any fruit from you.” And at once the fig tree withered. Seeing this, the disciples were amazed and asked, “How did the fig tree wither all at once?” And Jesus answered and said to them, “Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it will happen. And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”

1. I have read in other bible study articles and in some postings on this message board that the a tree is often used to symbolize Israel. Is that accurate AND does it apply in this instance? It does not seem to. Instead the tree seems more representative of a someone who is neither hot nor cold.
The fig tree in the Bible does, typically, refer to Israel. I believe it does so here, as well. Let's look at the events as they would have been understood by somebody in Jesus's day. The leaves of the fig tree grew when the fruit was ripe. This tree was in full leaf, according to Matthew, yet when Jesus got there He found no figs. The tree had all of the appearance of bearing fruit, but it was barren. So He cursed it as a sign ... a sign to Israel. He was likening the fig tree to the nation. Israel had all of the signs of fruitfulness in its religious life, its Temple, its self-described worship of the Scriptures, yet there was no fruit. Thus Jesus was stating the grounds for cursing Israel—a curse in line with the blessing and the curse He had set before the nation in Deuteronomy 11:26-28.

Matthew 21:28-32

“But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go work today in the vineyard.’ And he answered, ‘I will not’; but afterward he regretted it and went. The man came to the second and said the same thing; and he answered, ‘I will, sir’; but he did not go. Which of the two did the will of his father?” They *said, “The first.” Jesus *said to them, “Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you. For John came to you in the way of righteousness and you did not believe him; but the tax collectors and prostitutes did believe him; and you, seeing this, did not even feel remorse afterward so as to believe him.

1. It seems that this passage points to two things - repentance and arrogance/pride. The former is indicative of those who realize they have done wrong (e.g., the son who 'regretted') and do an about face and the latter is indicative of those (e.g., like the chief priests) who are full of an academic understanding of the Lord's word but are not really doing the work of the Lord. Is that accurate?
Not entirely. You are very close, though. The lesson in the parable is one of contrasting words with works, profession with performance. The first son represents the sinners and the publicans, as we can see from Jesus's conclusion in Matthew 21:31. They had no interest in the Lord and no intention of serving Him. But later they repented of their refusal and began to serve Him. The second son represents the priests and the elders of Israel (Matthew 21:23, 31). They made great profession of serving God—with their rituals, their Temple service, their minute combing of the Law. Yet they had no true intention of serving God Himself. They were too busy serving self. Yet because they were able to put on their great show, they thought themselves holy and better than the rabble. Jesus saw right through it: He showed that true service comes from the heart, not from the mouth. He had revealed that truth to Israel through the prophet Isaiah when He said, "If you are willing and obedient you shall eat the best of the land" (Isaiah 1:19). You see, willingness and obedience stand in the same relation to each other as faith and works. True willingness is revealed by obedience in the same way that true faith is revealed in works. (This is not speaking of salvation by works, but salvation evidenced by works.)

Matthew 21:33-36 - Parable of the Landowner

1. In reading this parable I see that:

- Landowner is the Lord
- The vineyard is the world OR just the land promised by the Lord in His covenants with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and on down?
It is Israel. They were commissioned to preach the Lord to all nations. When God delivered Israel from Egypt, He said to them: “Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine; and you shall be to Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation." (Ex.19:5-6). The role of priests was to represent God to man and man to God. They were to minister between the porch (where the people stood) and the altar (where God judged). And while the tribe of Levi were to be priests to the nation Israel, it was Israel itself that was to be God’s priesthood to the world. They were to be the instruments of His revelation and his salvation.

- The renter's would be Israel
- The slaves sent at harvest are prophets sent by the Lord
- The son is Christ

Is this correct here?
Yes

2. I am having trouble with the following:

Therefore I say to you, the kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people, producing the fruit of it. And he who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; but on whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust.

The bolded part is what I am having trouble discerning the Lord's meaning on. I understand the first part is speaking to the coming inclusion of the Gentiles in the blessing of salvation. It is that second part that I am lost on.
Many commentators believe that both parts of that second sentence refers to those who stumble over Christ. To me this makes no sense. Certainly the grammatical construction "but" would indicate a contrast between the two clauses, "he who falls on the stone will be broken in pieces" and "on whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust." The debate comes about because while the word "but" in English indicates a clear-cut contrast, the Greek word it translates here is δέ (pronounced "deh"), and is a weak particle that can be either adversative or connective. Taken as the latter, Christ is saying "he who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; moreover (on top of this) on whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust." It hews to Hebrew parallelism, I suppose, but is not really Greek contruction to my mind. I interpret δέ here as an adversative particle, exactly as it is written in the English. Thus I believe it reveals a theological truth: if you throw yourself on the Rock He will save you. You will be broken, yes; but this is because He will make you a new person, a person with a heart after His own. But if you do not throw yourself on Him, then eventually He will fall on you in judgment and you will be crushed.

Matthew 22:29-33

But Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God: ‘ I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.” When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at His teaching.

1. Don't have any questions....just found this piece of scripture to be really, really, really awesome.
I agree!!! Awesome, indeed!!!

Matthew 22:34-40

But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together. One of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And He said to him, “ ‘ You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the great and foremost commandment. The second is like it, ‘ You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

1. I really liked this passage as well. My only question relates to our walk with the Lord. Conviction unto salvation is a gift from the Lord that we cannot earn or develop of our own accord. Our walk through our lives with the Lord is one of ongoing change which is sanctification. Is the love we have for the Lord a (not sure if this is a good word) byproduct or out growth of the gifts that brought us to the cross and into the Lord's family?
Love is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. It is the first evidence of the fruit named in Galatians 5:22. Love preceeds everything. It is the primary characteristic of Christ's people (John 13:35; 1 John 3:14). As a consequence, the Holy Spirit tells us through Paul that nothing we do means anything at all in God's Kingdom unless it is done with love (1 Corinthians 13). After all, God's very character, His entire being, is love. God is love (1 John 4:8,16) is the only description of God's actual essence in the entire Bible. Other descriptors (for example, God is righteous and God is just) are statements of His character not His essence. As I have shown in another article here, these all flow from the fact that He IS love.

Matthew 22 - End of Chapter

‘ The Lord said to my Lord,
“Sit at My right hand,
Until I put Your enemies beneath Your feet”’?

This comes from Psalm 110 does it not?
Indeed it does.

[The Lord says to my Lord:

“ Sit at My right hand

Until I make Your enemies a footstool for Your feet.”

The Lord will stretch forth Your strong scepter from Zion, saying,

“ Rule in the midst of Your enemies.”

Your people will volunteer freely in the day of Your power;

In holy array, from the womb of the dawn,

Your youth are to You as the dew.

The Lord has sworn and will not change His mind,

“You are a priest forever

According to the order of Melchizedek.”

The Lord is at Your right hand;

He will shatter kings in the day of His wrath.

He will judge among the nations,

He will fill them with corpses,

He will shatter the chief men over a broad country.

He will drink from the brook by the wayside;

Therefore He will lift up His head.​

1. So in this passage Christ is pointing the priests to what the Lord spoke of to or through David about Christ...is that correct.
Yes, He pointing to what David said of Messiah. But He is saying a lot more. He is actually catching them in something that should have revealed to them that Messiah is indeed God. The passage Jesus used says, as you recorded above, "The Lord said to my Lord sit thou at my right hand until I put thy enemies under thy feet." The Pharisees taught that Messiah would be a son of David—that is to say, a direct descendant of David and in the kingly line. Jesus pointed out them that in this passage David addresses Messiah as "Lord". How, asks Jesus, if Messiah is David's son does David address Him as Lord? The Pharisees could not answer that because it conflicted with their theology. To answer it, to admit to the truth plainly staring them in the face, would be to admit who Jesus was, that He was God. He did all of the works foretold by the prophets, including healing the sick, restoring sight to the blind, casting out demons, restoring strength to the lame and halt, opening the ears of the deead, and raising the dead. How could they condmen Him isf He was God? Yet condemn Him they were determined to do for He did not show them respect and taught contrary to their beliefs.

2. Is Psalm 110 speaking to the second coming of Christ at the end of the tribulation?
Yes. The writer of Hebrews uses verse 10 of this Psalm as part of His proof for the eternal and supernatural intercession of Christ for the believer.

NUmarcus

Matthew 23

Pharisaism Exposed

Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to His disciples, saying: “ The scribes and the Pharisees have seated themselves in the chair of Moses; therefore all that they tell you, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds; for they say things and do not do them. They tie up heavy burdens and lay them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are unwilling to move them with so much as a finger. But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments. They love the place of honor at banquets and the chief seats in the synagogues, and respectful greetings in the market places, and being called Rabbi by men. But do not be called Rabbi; for One is your Teacher, and you are all brothers. Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. Do not be called leaders; for One is your Leader, that is, Christ. But the greatest among you shall be your servant. Whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.
Eight Woes

“ But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. [Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you devour widows’ houses, and for a pretense you make long prayers; therefore you will receive greater condemnation.]

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.

“Woe to you, blind guides, who say, ‘ Whoever swears by the temple, that is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple is obligated.’ You fools and blind men! Which is more important, the gold or the temple that sanctified the gold? And, ‘Whoever swears by the altar, that is nothing, but whoever swears by the offering on it, he is obligated.’ You blind men, which is more important, the offering, or the altar that sanctifies the offering? Therefore, whoever swears by the altar, swears both by the altar and by everything on it. And whoever swears by the temple, swears both by the temple and by Him who dwells within it. And whoever swears by heaven, swears both by the throne of God and by Him who sits upon it.

“ Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others. You blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence. You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also.

“ Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness. So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

“ Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, and say, ‘If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.’ So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers. You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell?

“ Therefore, behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.
Lament over Jerusalem

“ Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. Behold, your house is being left to you desolate! For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ‘ Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’”​

I found this to be a very powerful chapter. I enjoyed the break down of the woes upon the legalists of the day. The amazing thing that I saw here was that however much we might wrap ourselves in the trappings for power or academia or religious legalism it will always be laid bare before the Lord for what it really is.

It seems the lesson here is no different down through the ages. I am reminded of it sometimes when I hear radio broadcasts where a scholar with upteen degrees breaks down a portion of the scriptures. Before long I am completely lost due to the esoteric nature of the discussion and it always strikes me during those moments..."Don't these guys and gals understand how few of us really speak or understand Latin, Greek, and so on? The Lord doesn't mince words...why do they?"

I apologize for my absence as of late...first month of my new job has been a blur but still a blessing. I have read through the rest of Matthew and will post the questions/comments I have in the coming nights. I will hold off on Matthew 24 until tomorrow since that chapter has a lot in it for me to ask/comment on.

Back