Matthew 24: 40-41

DWB

When I first began to earnestly study the Bible searching for answers, I thought these verses pertained to the rapture. "Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left." I realize now that the Lord Jesus gave no clues to the rapture or to the church age, but what then do these verses mean. I know the Lord is speaking of the times of His second coming, and if I understand the scriptures, when He returns it we will come with Him to defeat the armies of Satan.

So why does the Lord mention this "taking" of people that seems to me to resemble the rapture.
Thanks!

healinghands

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/did-jesus-mention-the-rapture/

In Luke 17:34-37 the Lord was talking about Tribulation survivors, just like He was in Matt. 24:40-41, and He used the same Greek words, taken and left. The word translated taken means to receive to Himself, and the word for left means to put away. These words can only describe what happens at the 2nd Coming, so the disciples’ question “Where, Lord?” in verse 37 pertains to both groups. Believers will be received to Him and will enter the Kingdom. Unbelievers will be put away, taken off the planet. It’s a summary of the Sheep and Goat judgment, and does not describe the rapture. He was using the vulture / carcass analogy to say that each group will gathered in the place where they belong.

RonJohnSilver

Common mistake. All of Matthew 24/25 refer to the time of the tribulation, post-rapture. Earlier post by healinghands is correct. Also, regarding the 'taken away' phrase. Think of it like a courtroom. When the judge says, after sentencing, 'take him away', the prisoner is taken away to judgment.

When I first began to earnestly study the Bible searching for answers, I thought these verses pertained to the rapture. "Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left." I realize now that the Lord Jesus gave no clues to the rapture or to the church age, but what then do these verses mean. I know the Lord is speaking of the times of His second coming, and if I understand the scriptures, when He returns it we will come with Him to defeat the armies of Satan.

So why does the Lord mention this "taking" of people that seems to me to resemble the rapture.
Thanks!
At the risk of disagreeing I'm going to say that these do speak about the rapture, but the reason why most websites deny that is because it doesn't fit with a specific theology because the Greek clearly says one person is taken as a friend or companion and the other ls denied or rejected. Now to answer the question one just has to look at the context.

Backing up to Matthew 24 vs 3 the question is asked:
As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, his disciples came to him privately and said, (1st question) “Tell us, when will these things happen? And (2nd question) what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

Now the first thing to realize is Jesus answered both questions... BUT in reverse order and the answer doesn't stop at the end of Matthew 24 it goes into 25. Verse 4-31 deal with the 7 year tribulation period or Daniel's 70th week which is the sign of his coming. Not many deny this (unless one's theology filter is replacement theology) Your hints are at vs 16 "those in Judea" and again in vs 20 he said pray that your flight will not be in winter or on a Sabbath. The church wouldn't be concerned about Sabbath laws and most of the Church does not live in Judea. So at the end of vs 31 we have Jesus coming with power and great glory gathering his elect from the four winds. Clearly at the end of a tribulation on earth so at the second coming the earth is in great distress <-Remember this

Then Jesus answers the first question as to the timing of this day. He begins with the parable of the fig tree in vs 32
“Learn this parable from the fig tree: Whenever its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near, right at the door. I tell you the truth, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

That is a huge clue as to the timing of this event as the fig tree in scripture has always represented the nation of Israel (Hosea 9:10) From 70 AD to 1948 the fig tree was cut off but now it has sprouted, become tender and is growing leaves (but no fruit yet) He also says that this generation won't pass away until all those things happen. The question is how long is a generation? Psalms 90:10 answers 70-80 years. Now if you look at Matthew 23 he was telling the hypocrite pharisee's about how the destruction of Jerusalem would come upon them and also said "this generation" in reference to it... Sure enough from when the time when Jesus was born until the destruction of the temple was 70-74 years (depending on estimates of his birth).
So now as of May 2019 we are now 71 years past Israel becoming a nation again and the tribulation demands 7 of them so in keeping in line with God's timing of a generation we can expect this to start possibly this year till 2021.

Now Jesus specifically said "LEARN THE PARABLE" so unless we want to ignore that we know we're very close to the end times.

Then Jesus continues in answering the 1st question.
----------
36“But as for that day and hour no one knows it – not even the angels in heaven – except the Father alone. 37 For just like the days of Noah were, so the coming of the Son of Man will be. 38 For in those days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark. 39 And they knew nothing until the flood came and took them all away. It will be the same at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Then there will be two men in the field; one will be taken and one left. 41 There will be two women grinding grain with a mill; (A summer event at the end of a wheat harvest) one will be taken and one left. 42 “Therefore stay alert, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.
----------
This passage excludes any possibility of this event happening after the tribulation because he says it will be just like in the Days of Noah where people are eating, drinking, marrying, and in Luke he says people are planting and building. So its going to be a normal average day business as usual not a horribly terrifying time of tribulation thats gonna be obvious to everyone. In Noah's day people didn't heed his warning, they were much too concerned about life. He says it will be just like this at the coming of the son of man.... the very next event that follows is: "Then there will be two men in the field; one will be taken and one left.
Some say the one taken is off to judgement but that goes in a complete 180 of the understanding of the Greek used. (blueletterbible.org for ref's)
The word used for taken is Strong's G3880 :paralambanō - to take to, to take with one's self, to join to one's self (1a) an associate, a companion
The word used for left is Strong's G863 :aphiēmi - to send away, to bid going away or depart, of a husband divorcing his wife, to let go, let alone, let be

So if we are to be honest with the original language you definitely want to be "taken" here and that is the same exact word Jesus used when he spoke to to the disciples here: in John 14:3 "And if I go and make ready a place for you, I will come again and take you to be with me, so that where I am you may be too."

Going to vs 42-44
42“Therefore stay alert, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have been alert and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 Therefore you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. <-Again this is still answering the question as to the timing and we need to be ready consistently.

Then he goes further into Matthew 25 with the Parable of the ten virgins to describe the church at the time of his coming.
-----
Matthew 25:1At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of the virgins were foolish, and five were wise. 3When the foolish ones took their lamps, they did not take extra olive oil with them. 4But the wise ones took flasks of olive oil with their lamps. 5When the bridegroom was delayed a long time, they all became drowsy and fell asleep. 6But at midnight there was a shout, ‘Look, the bridegroom is here! Come out to meet him.’ 7Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.

The Ten virgins were "asleep" when Jesus (the bridegroom) came for them. This cannot make sense during or after the tribulation period as there will be no sleepy time during that period. If that wasn't enough Jesus CONTINUES to talk about the timing in the parable of the talents. Matthew 25:19 After a long time, the master of those slaves came and settled his accounts with them. This is also giving a clue of the Judgement seat of Christ.

Sorry I know this was long but it was alot to say... anyways I believe Jesus is coming very soon!

Last edited:

Milly_Light

At the risk of disagreeing I'm going to say that these do speak about the rapture, but the reason why most websites deny that is because it doesn't fit with a specific theology because the Greek clearly says one person is taken as a friend or companion and the other ls denied or rejected. Now to answer the question one just has to look at the context.

As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, his disciples came to him privately and said, (1st question) “Tell us, when will these things happen? And (2nd question) what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

Now the first thing to realize is Jesus answered both questions... BUT in reverse order and the answer doesn't stop at the end of Matthew 24 it goes into 25. Verse 4-31 deal with the 7 year tribulation period or Daniel's 70th week which is the sign of his coming. Not many deny this (unless one's theology filter is replacement theology) Your hints are at vs 16 "those in Judea" and again in vs 20 he said pray that your flight will not be in winter or on a Sabbath. The church wouldn't be concerned about Sabbath laws and most of the Church does not live in Judea. So at the end of vs 31 we have Jesus coming with power and great glory gathering his elect from the four winds. Clearly at the end of a tribulation on earth so at the second coming the earth is in great distress <-Remember this

Then Jesus answers the first question as to the timing of this day. He begins with the parable of the fig tree in vs 32
“Learn this parable from the fig tree: Whenever its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near. So also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near, right at the door. I tell you the truth, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

That is a huge clue as to the timing of this event as the fig tree in scripture has always represented the nation of Israel (Hosea 9:10) From 70 AD to 1948 the fig tree was cut off but now it has sprouted, become tender and is growing leaves (but no fruit yet) He also says that this generation won't pass away until all those things happen. The question is how long is a generation? Psalms 90:10 answers 70-80 years. Now if you look at Matthew 23 he was telling the hypocrite pharisee's about how the destruction of Jerusalem would come upon them and also said "this generation" in reference to it... Sure enough from when the time when Jesus was born until the destruction of the temple was 70-74 years (depending on estimates of his birth).
So now as of May 2019 we are now 71 years past Israel becoming a nation again and the tribulation demands 7 of them so in keeping in line with God's timing of a generation we can expect this to start possibly this year till 2021.

Now Jesus specifically said "LEARN THE PARABLE" so unless we want to ignore that we know we're very close to the end times.

----------
36“But as for that day and hour no one knows it – not even the angels in heaven – except the Father alone. 37 For just like the days of Noah were, so the coming of the Son of Man will be. 38 For in those days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day Noah entered the ark. 39 And they knew nothing until the flood came and took them all away. It will be the same at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Then there will be two men in the field; one will be taken and one left. 41 There will be two women grinding grain with a mill; (A summer event at the end of a wheat harvest) one will be taken and one left. 42 “Therefore stay alert, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.
----------
This passage excludes any possibility of this event happening after the tribulation because he says it will be just like in the Days of Noah where people are eating, drinking, marrying, and in Luke he says people are planting and building. So its going to be a normal average day business as usual not a horribly terrifying time of tribulation thats gonna be obvious to everyone. In Noah's day people didn't heed his warning, they were much too concerned about life. He says it will be just like this at the coming of the son of man.... the very next event that follows is: "Then there will be two men in the field; one will be taken and one left.
Some say the one taken is off to judgement but that goes in a complete 180 of the understanding of the Greek used. (blueletterbible.org for ref's)
The word used for taken is Strong's G3880 :paralambanō - to take to, to take with one's self, to join to one's self (1a) an associate, a companion
The word used for left is Strong's G863 :aphiēmi - to send away, to bid going away or depart, of a husband divorcing his wife, to let go, let alone, let be

So if we are to be honest with the original language you definitely want to be "taken" here and that is the same exact word Jesus used when he spoke to to the disciples here: in John 14:3 "And if I go and make ready a place for you, I will come again and take you to be with me, so that where I am you may be too."

Going to vs 42-44
42“Therefore stay alert, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have been alert and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 Therefore you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. <-Again this is still answering the question as to the timing and we need to be ready consistently.

Then he goes further into Matthew 25 with the Parable of the ten virgins to describe the church at the time of his coming.
-----
Matthew 25:1At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of the virgins were foolish, and five were wise. 3When the foolish ones took their lamps, they did not take extra olive oil with them. 4But the wise ones took flasks of olive oil with their lamps. 5When the bridegroom was delayed a long time, they all became drowsy and fell asleep. 6But at midnight there was a shout, ‘Look, the bridegroom is here! Come out to meet him.’ 7Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps.

The Ten virgins were "asleep" when Jesus (the bridegroom) came for them. This cannot make sense during or after the tribulation period as there will be no sleepy time during that period. If that wasn't enough Jesus CONTINUES to talk about the timing in the parable of the talents. Matthew 25:19 After a long time, the master of those slaves came and settled his accounts with them. This is also giving a clue of the Judgement seat of Christ.

Sorry I know this was long but it was alot to say... anyways I believe Jesus is coming very soon!

Long indeed but I still read it. Seems to me that there are many ways to interpret the Bible. But the best way to understand a verse or chapter is by the help of the Holy Spirit.

I think it isn't talking about rapture. Because the rapture has been well defined in Corinthians and Thessalonians. At the last trump the dead in Christ will be raised incorruptible and those who are alive in Christ will be caught up in the clouds.

So I think that verse in Mathew isn't talking about rapture. But you could be right too depending on how you have explained it.

mattfivefour

----------
----------

Going to vs 42-44

-----

Mike, as you know there is disagreenent among many expositors over this passage. And, as you point out, I believe the idea that this passage does not refer to the rapture arises out of an interpretation rooted in theology rather than in Scripture, which itself comes about because people have decided that Matthew 24 refers to just one event ...despite the fact that Jesus is responding to TWO questions.

For what it's worth, I myself have examined both sides and have decided (I believe with the help of the Holy Spirit) that the interpretation you give is indeed the correct one: this passage does refer to the Rapture. But I could be wrong. And this is not a salvational issue.

Jan51

Thanks!
I agree with Dr. Andy Woods that they are taken to judgment, compare Mat. 13:24-30, 13:36-43, 13:47-50.

I believe that this is not a rapture passage. Jesus did not teach about the rapture but revealed it later to the church through Paul.

Regarding eating/drinking/marrying: I think it's reading into Scripture to assume that means it was a normal average kind of day. It doesn't say that. What was going on in Noah's day? What is wrong with eating, drinking, marrying? People then were going about their lives—business and pleasure--blind to the significance of what was going on in the world, blind to God, blind to spiritual things, blind to the fact that everything was about to come to a screeching halt, that the end was just around the corner, even though Noah had been preaching to them for years. Also, was Jesus talking about the moment of the second coming, or was He referring to the state of mankind just before "all these things" (Mat. 24:33) begin to happen? We don't really know.

It's interesting that seven days passed after Noah entered the ark before the flood came that took them all away, Gen. 7:1-4. Might that possibly picture the seven years of the tribulation before they (the wicked who are left alive at the end of the tribulation) are taken away to judgment?

Ohioan

----------
----------

Going to vs 42-44

-----

I agree with you; also, the way to be ready is what you are doing in your answer and is reflected in the following verses 42-47,

Matthew 24

42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

43 But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up.

44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.

I liked a comment on a blog that if you do not know what it is to be ready and watching then be this servant which many on this site do.

45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.

But do not be like this servant

48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;

49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,

51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Luke 21 backs up Matthew as to watchfulness

And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth.

Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass and to stand before the Son of man

Back