Man accused of targeting Jews in Los Angeles shootings charged with hate crimes

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Man accused of targeting Jews in Los Angeles shootings charged with hate crimes
The shooter had posted antisemitic content online, and had googled where to find Jewish neighborhoods before the attack.
By REUTERS
Published: FEBRUARY 18, 2023

Federal prosecutors in Los Angeles brought hate crime charges on Friday against a man accused of shooting two people this week in a predominantly Jewish section of Los Angeles. The FBI said in charging documents in the case that Jaime Tran, 29, told police after his arrest that he had looked up the location of businesses selling kosher food as a way to find a Jewish neighborhood. The agency said that Tran, 29, had a long history of making anti-Semitic remarks and sending graphic, anti-Jewish emails to fellow students at a dental school he once attended.

more.............. https://www.jpost.com/diaspora/antisemitism/article-731947

depserv

I want to see the perpetrator of this crime brought to justice, but I have never liked the concept of hate crime, because hate crime is thoughtcrime, since the essential ingredient that defines it as hate crime is the thought it's based in; to me it is the act itself that should determine the severity of the crime.

This can become a pretty big deal, since hate is defined by the official state religion as overt and unapologetic nonacceptance of liberal dogma, and also the expression of thought that has been forbidden by the high seers of the state religion. Patriots and Christians are often accused of hate; in fact openly expressing the belief that the Bible is the word of God and that it does mean what the words it's written with say it means is called hate in some places.

Say a Christian has spoken openly about homosexuality being a sin; he does this in the hope of maybe leading some who lead that lifestyle to repent and be saved, but his words are still defined as hate by the state religion. Then say he's assaulted by a homosexual and is forced to defend himself. Could his act of self defense be defined by a liberal controlled court as a hate crime? I think it's possible, depending on the circumstances. And I think that possibility increases as we go further down this path.

By any realistic definition of the word hate, much of the violence committed by liberal terrorist groups like Antifa and BLM is based in hate, hatred of American patriots, successful capitalists, white (and often Asian) people, and others not part of the liberal herd, but I am not aware of any of them being charged with hate crime; if some have been I doubt it's very many, and I doubt their punishment was very severe. This makes clear the purpose in this kind of law.

And we are seeing that hate crime laws tend to lead to hate speech laws. So far the 1st Amendment seems to have kept this from going too far, but given how much other parts of the Constitution have been trampled on by the criminal gangs in government, that could change. So this is a very dangerous road to be going down.

This is an extension of the codes called political correctness, that hold the threat of expulsion and termination over the heads of any who might get caught expressing forbidden thought. These are imposed by government, in the schools because the schools are part of the government, and in the workplace because government allows lawsuits that make businesses act like the schools out of fear of economic terrorism. You can curse our Savior all day and not get in any trouble (in this life anyway), even if a Christian is offended by it, but express thought that has been forbidden by the state religion and you're gone.

Hate crime and hate speech build on this, with this base making clear what these things will grow into.

Back