Malware

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
I've been using Malwarebytes for a few years. It has protected my computers well. But both PC Mag and Tech Radar rate Bitdefender as by far the best right now. So, given the changing world of malware and ransomeware, I am going to be switching to Bitdefender Total Security. It's $45, but their Bitdefender Antivirus Free program is (as the name says) free and it is also rated as the best among all the free antimalware programs. It's just not as comprehensive in its features as the Total Security package. I hope this helps.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I use the security built in to Windows, which has never seemed all that effective to me... but every once in a while and whenever I suspect a problem I'll run the free version of Malwarebytes. That usually will do the trick. The top dog of anti-virus software seems to change a lot. Most anti-virus programs will protect you pretty well... none are foolproof, and the viral landscape is constantly in flux, constantly changing.

The best defense is to practice safe computing... but in this day in age, that's not quite foolproof either.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to think about is Malwarebytes is an American company. Bitdefender is a Romanian company. I feel better with an America tech company. I guess it is just whatever preference you have. But it is good to be informed.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running the AT&T McAfee Internet Security Suite and Malwarebytes Premium. I don't recall the last time I ever had an issue with my computer. I think if you have McAfee and use Malwarebytes you will be fine. :)

Luke12

I'm running the AT&T McAfee Internet Security Suite and Malwarebytes Premium. I don't recall the last time I ever had an issue with my computer. I think if you have McAfee and use Malwarebytes you will be fine. :)
I have the McAfee Livesafe and I'm running the free version of Malwarebytes. I don't think they interfere with each other. :noidea2

Popcornfish

I'm currently running the free trial version of Norton. Reading this I am also downloading the freeware of Malwarebytes. After Norton runs out I think I'll use the Windows Defender that's built in to my computer. Would WD conflict with Norton if I activated Windows Defender now?

Anyone have experience with Spybot Search & Destroy?