Major Christian denomination splits over 'divisive and destructive debates' on LGBT issues

Lovin Jesus

The United Methodist Church, one of the largest Christian denominations in the U.S., will officially undergo a schism in the coming months, ending a years-long internal disagreement over LGBTQ+ issues.

What are the details?​

On Thursday, organizers of the Global Methodist Church — a more conservative Methodist denomination that favors a traditional view of marriage and opposes the ordination of LGBT clergy — announced a formal launch date of May 1, 2022.

The announcement came amid yet another General Conference postponement over COVID-19 pandemic fears and travel obstacles. With the next meeting pushed back until 2024, conservative United Methodists decided they could not wait for the next meeting before launching the new denomination.
More
https://www.theblaze.com/news/united-methodist-church-splits-over-lgbt-beliefs

TimeWarpWife

My mom attended the local Methodist church when she was growing up because it was the only church in walking distance from her rural home. I attended Sunday School at that same church when I was a child. Sadly, I have to say I learned nothing there except to color because that's what we did in Sunday School except for some little blurb that would be read from the Bible before we were dismissed. Later on when my dad was in the Navy, my mom attended mostly Baptist churches. She passed away when she was just 26 years old, but when I was in my 20s I was going through her things my grandmother had given to me and I found a pamphlet from one of the Baptist churches she attended and it had the plan of salvation in it. This was obviously something she felt was important enough to hang on to because it was there among her papers. Around that time I'd been asking God if my mom was saved. I knew that she'd gone to church on her own from the time she was a child, until she passed away ~ my grandparents didn't attend the church with her, she'd walk down the road every Sunday by herself to attend. My hope is that she was saved and I'll get to spend eternity with her and my dd. Good for these people standing up for God and separating themselves from these followers of false, woke, liberal doctrine.

Last edited:

Carl

It seems to happen in all the good churches. They are fine and then a segment drifts away from the foundation (the Bible) and invents a way that fits with society. I think the drift happens prior to that though. I think it happens when enough people don't know the message of the Bible well enough.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
When I was a new Believer, I went to as many different churches as I could. A different one almost every week. I went to a couple of Methodist churches during that time, and they seemed dead to me. The services seemed more like business meetings. That was back in the 70s. Needless to say, I don't have any plans to try out a Methodist church anymore.

TimeWarpWife

TT, you hit the proverbial nail on the head when you said the Methodist churches seemed dead. In the late 1970s and a couple of times in the 1980s, while visiting relatives and friends, I attended a couple of other Methodist churches and all of the services were dry, boring, and I learned nothing there. Nothing had changed since I was a child in the 1960s attending the other Methodist church. :sad

alisani

When I was a new Believer, I went to as many different churches as I could. A different one almost every week. I went to a couple of Methodist churches during that time, and they seemed dead to me. The services seemed more like business meetings. That was back in the 70s. Needless to say, I don't have any plans to try out a Methodist church anymore.
I've been in those places, I won't call them churches. Here, it's quite common in rural communities for locals to turn houses of worship into "the building my great-grand-daddy built". And they infer righteousness upon themselves for it. Can't tell you how many times I saw people on church boards that had no spiritual reason to be there, but a member of their family "had always held that seat". It's enough to make a saint use strong language. If you have a church where you are fed truth, then thank God, because those places are becoming a rarity these days.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I've been in those places, I won't call them churches. Here, it's quite common in rural communities for locals to turn houses of worship into "the building my great-grand-daddy built". And they infer righteousness upon themselves for it. Can't tell you how many times I saw people on church boards that had no spiritual reason to be there, but a member of their family "had always held that seat". It's enough to make a saint use strong language. If you have a church where you are fed truth, then thank God, because those places are becoming a rarity these days.

In the area of Dunn/Plainsview where my sister lives, everywhere you look there are plans for another church. That's not because of revival, but because it's become a lucrative business... :(

Bethlehem57

The United Methodist Church, one of the largest Christian denominations in the U.S., will officially undergo a schism in the coming months, ending a years-long internal disagreement over LGBTQ+ issues.

What are the details?​

On Thursday, organizers of the Global Methodist Church — a more conservative Methodist denomination that favors a traditional view of marriage and opposes the ordination of LGBT clergy — announced a formal launch date of May 1, 2022.

The announcement came amid yet another General Conference postponement over COVID-19 pandemic fears and travel obstacles. With the next meeting pushed back until 2024, conservative United Methodists decided they could not wait for the next meeting before launching the new denomination.
More
https://www.theblaze.com/news/united-methodist-church-splits-over-lgbt-beliefs
This has been in the works for awhile! We used to attend a Methodist church before we last moved. i still keep up with my brothers and sisters there and I can attest to their non-compliance with the LGBTQ agenda of those who want to keep blurring the Word o God. This church will split off with conservatives.

Reminds me of the Lutheran ELCA vs. NALC.

Cloud Watcher

I went to a few different places when I was a new Christian before I found one that felt like "home". There was one that was so unbearably dead that I wanted to get up and walk out in the middle of the service. Unfortunately, I had ridden there with a person who belonged to that particular church, so I had to wait until the service was over and I could get a ride back home.

Bohdan

The big religious divide in the modern world is not within or between denominations, nor Protestant versus Catholic, nor even deist versus atheist.

It's sodomy versus non-sodomy. It's a religious position not just a sexual one.

And sodomy is the religious position of the ruling class in the USA and the "west".

daygo

It seems to happen in all the good churches. They are fine and then a segment drifts away from the foundation (the Bible) and invents a way that fits with society. I think the drift happens prior to that though. I think it happens when enough people don't know the message of the Bible well enough.
For us back in 1990 it was a change in minister that changed it all.

daygo

He brought in a different theology?
Not exactly, we had a meeting can't remember what about, thing I do remember is methodist area something or other standing up, can't remember his title but he stood up and told the meeting please remember we're all methodist here, I thought you should never have said that if he'd said remember we're all Christians here would have been different but it raised the temperature of meeting and it started to slide down after that, afraid to much to say hope you get the gist.

Jojo4124

Oh my, we ministered in a small town n it was like that! Granddaddy's Grandaddy's church, lol! God is like, um, WHOSE church is it? Lol