Major 7.0 Quake Hits Alaska

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Here's an article put out by the Fairbanks paper:

Magnitude 7.0 quake north of Anchorage; temblor is felt in Fairbanks

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Back-to-back earthquakes measuring 7.0 and 5.7 rocked buildings and shattered roads Friday morning in Anchorage, sending people running into the streets and briefly triggering a warning to residents in Kodiak to flee to higher ground for fear of a tsunami.

The tsunami warning was lifted without incident a short time later. There were no immediate reports of any deaths or serious injuries.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the first and more powerful quake was centered about 7 miles (12 kilometers) north of Anchorage, Alaska's largest city, with a population of about 300,000. People ran from their offices or took cover under desks.

A large section of road near the Anchorage airport collapsed, marooning a car on a narrow island of pavement surrounded by deep chasms in the concrete.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alask...600806&utm_medium=email&utm_content=read more

I didn't feel it. I was probably driving from the Big Dipper ( a building where I go to jog some mornings) to Safeway where I planned to purchase a few items.

In 2002, when we had an mag 8 earthquake I was about to herd my family into a Sam's Club when a hoard of people came running out of the building. We didn't feel that one either but apparently it was quite scary for the people inside Sam's Club.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
Here's an article put out by the Fairbanks paper:

Magnitude 7.0 quake north of Anchorage; temblor is felt in Fairbanks

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Back-to-back earthquakes measuring 7.0 and 5.7 rocked buildings and shattered roads Friday morning in Anchorage, sending people running into the streets and briefly triggering a warning to residents in Kodiak to flee to higher ground for fear of a tsunami.

The tsunami warning was lifted without incident a short time later. There were no immediate reports of any deaths or serious injuries.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the first and more powerful quake was centered about 7 miles (12 kilometers) north of Anchorage, Alaska's largest city, with a population of about 300,000. People ran from their offices or took cover under desks.

A large section of road near the Anchorage airport collapsed, marooning a car on a narrow island of pavement surrounded by deep chasms in the concrete.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/alaska_news/magnitude-quake-north-of-anchorage-temblor-is-felt-in-fairbanks/article_710d5a30-f4c7-11e8-8ad9-eff2faad7a23.html#utm_source=newsminer.com&utm_campaign=/newsletters/breaking/?-dc=1543600806&utm_medium=email&utm_content=read more

I didn't feel it. I was probably driving from the Big Dipper ( a building where I go to jog some mornings) to Safeway where I planned to purchase a few items.

In 2002, when we had an mag 8 earthquake I was about to herd my family into a Sam's Club when a hoard of people came running out of the building. We didn't feel that one either but apparently it was quite scary for the people inside Sam's Club.
Glad to hear you are okay that is a big enough earthquake!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
At Ted Steven's International Airport, they're diverting incoming flights to either Fairbanks or to the Joint Military Base next to Anchorage. They don't have anyone in the tower, but flights are still going out. Pilots are working things out with each other to avoid issues.

Widespread damage is being reported in Anchorage. Apparently the one road north out of Anchorage is damaged. That means that store shelves will empty in the interior as well as the Anchorage area and probably the rest of the state. It doesn't take many late shipments to see bare shelves here.

They've shut down our oil pipeline that sends oil from Prudoe Bay to Valdez. They'll inspect it for damage and then start the flow up again.

While we've had plenty of stronger earthquakes, this one might prove to be one of the more costly for up here.

Last edited:

Cindy S.

At Ted Steven's International Airport, they're diverting incoming flights to either Fairbanks or to the Joint Military Base next to Anchorage. They don't have anyone in the tower, but flights are still going out. Pilots are working things out with each other to avoid issues.

Widespread damage is being reported in Anchorage. Apparently the one road north out of Anchorage is damaged. That means that store shelves will empty in the interior as well as the Anchorage area and probably the rest of the state. It doesn't take many late shipments to see bare shelves here.

They've shut down our oil pipeline that sends oil from Prudoe Bay to Valdez. They'll inspect it for damage and then start the flow up again.

While we've had plenty of stronger earthquakes, this one might prove to be one of the more costly for up here.
We've been enjoying really low gas prices here in Michigan maybe that's gonna change? Hope not.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
We've been enjoying really low gas prices here in Michigan maybe that's gonna change? Hope not.
I don't think this will effect your gas prices. I think most of ours goes to the west coast. We're paying $3.36 and up a gallon in Fairbanks... you'd think we'd have low fuel prices up here... but the politicians and oil companies are both good to each other up here...

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I got a text from my wife: Panic in streets. Should get fuel and food in town. Food and fuel panic in town....

I thought about it. Our local refinery closed down so all of our fuel is trucked in from Soldotna, which is south of Anchorage. Since the only road through is impassable, and we don't know how long before they'll be able to let limited traffic through, I did decide to go into town and fill up one of the cars and a couple of 5 gallon cans. Nobody is panicing. My wife was exaggerating a bit. We probably will get low on fuel in the gas station tanks very soon, and yes supermarket shelves will start to look more empty than full... but that is a common thing up here at the end of civilization.

I continue to hear reports of widespread damage in the Anchorage area and some on the Peninsula south of Anchorage and the Matanuska Valley north of Anchorage.

Brother Albert R.

I got a text from my wife: Panic in streets. Should get fuel and food in town. Food and fuel panic in town....

I thought about it. Our local refinery closed down so all of our fuel is trucked in from Soldotna, which is south of Anchorage. Since the only road through is impassable, and we don't know how long before they'll be able to let limited traffic through, I did decide to go into town and fill up one of the cars and a couple of 5 gallon cans. Nobody is panicing. My wife was exaggerating a bit. We probably will get low on fuel in the gas station tanks very soon, and yes supermarket shelves will start to look more empty than full... but that is a common thing up here at the end of civilization.

I continue to hear reports of widespread damage in the Anchorage area and some on the Peninsula south of Anchorage and the Matanuska Valley north of Anchorage.
Glad to know you and your family are OK TT.
God Bless you and keep you,
Brother ALbert

pixelpusher

Likewise I came on to check on TT this AM, glad to see you posting!

Prayers for the infrastructure situation. ONe of those articles said maybe no road repairs possible until spring. Maybe the Army Corp or someone can put up some temporary bridges for the essentials to flow. Or some good training for cargo helicopter crews...

Kaatje

Listening for that trumpet sound
I don't think this will effect your gas prices. I think most of ours goes to the west coast. We're paying $3.36 and up a gallon in Fairbanks... you'd think we'd have low fuel prices up here... but the politicians and oil companies are both good to each other up here...
:offtopic, I know, but just have to reply on the price of fuel.
Do you know what I payed this morning for unleaded 95?

€ 1,60 per LITER!

More than 70% of that goes straight into the IRS coffers,
so we can suport the UN and other “worthy” causes. :(