LUKE 21

RestInHim

I've been listening to Andy Woods on "Pastor's Point of View Episode 74"
Luke 21:34-36 Shaken or Secure?

From his perspective, this whole Chapter is not about the Church, but, about Israel. I have heard more sermons that state it is about the Church.

I was just wondering if anyone perhaps had some comments of their own?

TheRedeemed

The only way to be accounted worthy to escape, is to accept Jesus Christ as Lord, God and Saviour and that is the Church. Only the Church can escape, no one else can.

The warning given here IMHO, is to the whole world of unbelievers and the lukewarm Church who are neither hot nor cold in their belief on Him, and are facing the Tribulation.

Since these are Jesus’ words, it is an invitation to the Jews of the day, to join the still to be formed Church that will be revealed after His resurrection.

So the audience was the Jews, the message was to join the Church from Pentecost onwards. So you could say it’s about both.

Update:- I should have said from the crucifixion onwards, as that was the moment the payment was made.

Last edited:

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I was just wondering if anyone perhaps had some comments of their own?
Yes, RestinHim, I also think these verses are speaking to Israel.
"For as a snare it shall come upon all those that dwell on the face of the earth." This sentence is speaking about the time of Jacob's trouble, known as the Tribulation. As all of us know, the church will no longer dwell on the face of the earth. These passages of Scripture have been mis-taught for years by very well-meaning Christian leaders for a long time. I am glad to say that the pastor of our church is a man of good understanding, & he follows a proper hermeneutic method in his preaching, just like Andy Woods. I'm grateful to hear good preaching by both men.

Any Minute

Tetelestai !!
Saved believers that get left behind because they loved this life more than Him to NOT leave this world at the pre great trib rapture event will lose their lives on earth. That is why Lot's wife was referenced as a warning to believer's in Luke 17:32-33 to not be like her because the cares of this life can be a snare to saved believers around the time the Bridegroom comes.

There are 2 kinds of eternal inheritance; the vessels unto honor are of the first fruits of the resurrection when they will be like the angels that never dies and live in a mansion in our Father's mansion. It is a celestial inheritance.

The prodigal son gave up his first inheritance for wild living. That means he can never get it back, but he is still son. Therefore the second rate inheritance which is being damned as a vessel unto dishonor in His House is a terrestrial inheritance where the power of the second death will not be over those saints resurrected after the great tribulation.

2 Timothy 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. 19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

That is why even former believers are called to depart from iniquity; hence repent, so they too may be received by Him as a vessel unto honor in His House & escape what is coming on the earth. Make no mistake, even former believers left behind, He still dwells in them.

2 Timothy 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: 13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

So any unrepentant iniquity can result in being denied by Him, but even if a saint believes not any more, He still abides for why those left behind, although denied by Him to NOT attend the Marriage Supper, He is faithful in keeping their souls while they suffer left behind.

1 Peter 4:17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? 18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear? 19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

If any doubt that only rewards are loss for being found in unrepentant iniquity or loving this life more than Jesus to not leave with the Bridegroom, then hear the words of Paul that being a castaway is also a dire consequence that awaits unrepentant believers.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain. 25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

So it is possible for a saved believer to be left behind just by being ensnared by the cares of this life that he would not want to leave as Luke 21:33-36 is Jesus warning us that this snare can happen even to a disciple that does not want to leave this life when it is time.
You are in error with you understanding of scripture.
It is either/or, either you are fully justified by properly placed faith in Christ and His finished work or you are not justified at all.
No such thing is taught in scripture as a partial rapture. No saved believers will be left behind.

ShilohRose

Please note the following Rapture Forum rules:

[15] No promotion of Mid, Post Tribulation, PreWrath, Partial Rapture, Preterism, or Replacement theology. This board is traditional Pre-Tribulation Rapture, Pre 6 Seals, Pre 70th week, and Pre-Millennial Dispensational of End Times Prophecy. No posting alternative theories from other websites. We believe in a literal 7 year Tribulation period, after the instantaneous Rapture of all regenerated believers in unison, during which God finishes His discipline of Israel, protects Israel, and finalizes His judgments on the unbelieving world. Except for those who have taken the Mark of the Beast, salvation will remain open to people who trust Jesus for salvation up to the Second Coming.

No suggestions of living righteously enough for the rapture, or salvation unattainable after the Rapture is allowed.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
Yes, RestinHim, I also think these verses are speaking to Israel.
"For as a snare it shall come upon all those that dwell on the face of the earth." This sentence is speaking about the time of Jacob's trouble, known as the Tribulation. As all of us know, the church will no longer dwell on the face of the earth. These passages of Scripture have been mis-taught for years by very well-meaning Christian leaders for a long time. I am glad to say that the pastor of our church is a man of good understanding, & he follows a proper hermeneutic method in his preaching, just like Andy Woods. I'm grateful to hear good preaching by both men.
Right on.
:thumbup

Ohioan

The only way to be accounted worthy to escape, is to accept Jesus Christ as Lord, God and Saviour and that is the Church. Only the Church can escape, no one else can.

The warning given here IMHO, is to the whole world of unbelievers and the lukewarm Church who are neither hot nor cold in their belief on Him, and are facing the Tribulation.

Since these are Jesus’ words, it is an invitation to the Jews of the day, to join the still to be formed Church that will be revealed after His resurrection.

So the audience was the Jews, the message was to join the Church from Pentecost onwards. So you could say it’s about both.

Update:- I should have said from the crucifixion onwards, as that was the moment the payment was made.

I agree, and the message to the church of Philadelphia is one of escape, which is found in verse 10 .

7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

Back