LSV - Literal Standard Version, 2020

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
What the words mean to say provides a more accurate translation than a direct literal translation. That came up a lot when my kids were taking Spanish classes in school. When they'd ask me what something meant, I'd first give them a literal translation because that is how foreign language is initially taught. I would then give the meaning of what was being said in Spanish, but in English. That was often completely different than a literal translation.

If a person doesn't have the capacity to understand the original languages and the meanings of the text, then neither would they be able to judge a literal translation with any degree of accuracy. Most of us are kind of at the mercy of the translators... Since culture plays a large role in the meaning of words spoken, it is a tremendous challenge to accurately capture the meaning of scripture in a modern language from a culture that either no longer is or that has changed significantly over time.

Look how the meanings of words in the English language change with each generation.

Batman

I still believe there can be lots of value to have the massive tech capabilities of our computers and the internet to access and use these other translations as references and helps. Things like "unwed mother" in place Mary being a virgin and birthing our Lord and Savior cannot be tolerated. But even with KJV only folks there are many that pervert Genesis, etc. into millions of years. This entirety of adding, deleting, or revising/changing the scriptures will continue until The Word is sitting on His MK throne.

Jonathan

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I think I am going to give this one several month (at least) so the more scholarly members among us and out there can start giving some solid guidance. I'll be fine in the meantime with my KJV and NASB.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
I just got an add in my email box for the LSV - Literal Standard Version. It claims to be, naturally, the most literal version in terms of it's faithfulness to the Greek and Hebrew. Does anyone know anything about it. Good? Bad?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Like Chris, I've never heard of it. Perhaps I'll look into the publisher, writers, see who's promoting the LSV. I've always heard that the NASB is the most literal translation of the Bible, word for word.
Thanks for letting us know about LSV.

Back