Lost biblical scroll may have been 2,700 years old, Israeli scholar says

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Lost biblical scroll may have been 2,700 years old, Israeli scholar says
“The text is very reminiscent of the book of Deuteronomy, and anyone who is familiar with it would feel it. But there are also some differences,” Dershowitz said.
By ROSSELLA TERCATIN
MARCH 21, 2021

A lost biblical manuscript discovered in 1878 long believed to be a forgery was authentic and likely predated the Dead Sea Scrolls by hundreds of years, making it the most ancient biblical scroll ever known in the modern era, Israeli scholar Prof. Idan Dershowitz has suggested. In his book, The Valediction of Moses, Dershowitz, chair of Hebrew Bible and Its Exegesis at the University of Potsdam in Germany, looked into the story known as “the Shapira affair” and revealed how it might offer unprecedented insights into the genesis of the Bible.

In 1878, an antique dealer named Moses Wilhelm Shapira laid his hands on a bunch of artifacts that he considered very promising; some members of a Bedouin tribe had uncovered what appeared to be linen-wrapped ancient parchments in a cave in the desert by the Dead Sea. Shapira, a Russian Jew who had converted to Christianity before moving to Jerusalem and opening a souvenir and antique store in the Old City, had the reputation of someone who could offer authentic and valuable artifacts as well as well-crafted forgeries.

more............ https://www.jpost.com/archaeology/l...en-2700-years-old-israeli-scholar-says-662720

cavalier973

They still dont have these scrolls, however, and rely on studying notes about the scrolls to determine if they are authentic.

cavalier973

They discuss how they think this lost scroll shows how the Book of Deuteronomy "developed" over time. The lost scroll has differences from our Book of Deuteronomy, and the lost scroll is shorter, so that means later scribes added to the original work.

My analogy is that, sometime in the future, archaeologist discuss how their complete copy of "War and Peace", published circa 2020, and supposedly written by. Leo Tolstoy, is obviously based on an earlier, shorter work published around 1980 or so, and written by a fellow named Cliff Notes. It had to be, because we don't have an earlier copies of the "Tolstoy version" of "War and Peace".

athenasius

They discuss how they think this lost scroll shows how the Book of Deuteronomy "developed" over time. The lost scroll has differences from our Book of Deuteronomy, and the lost scroll is shorter, so that means later scribes added to the original work.

My analogy is that, sometime in the future, archaeologist discuss how their complete copy of "War and Peace", published circa 2020, and supposedly written by. Leo Tolstoy, is obviously based on an earlier, shorter work published around 1980 or so, and written by a fellow named Cliff Notes. It had to be, because we don't have an earlier copies of the "Tolstoy version" of "War and Peace".
EXACTLY! Perhaps a scribe wrote some verses out for his own study. Or some chunks fell off due to age. These people will grasp at straws to avoid believing in the Bible as written.

A lot of the Dead Sea Scrolls actually back up the Bible as written by their many bits of each book. Just like the Early Church Fathers quote the FULL books of the New Testament in their various sermons and writings which contain the supposed missing verses that are not in the earliest manuscripts. And those are long PAST the time of the Early Church Fathers who quoted the passages WITH the questionable verses intact, but hey the "scholars" know best. :sarcasm

cavalier973

This is giving me an inspiration to succeed at the most important thing - making a buck. I am going to "discover" the works of Nostradamus that predate all those vague quatrains attributed to him. These ancient quatrains will confirm the total accuracy of this amazing prophet. For example, here is the first quatrain that was discovered behind the wallpaper in the bedroom Nostradamus used at age 14:

From a darkened basement bunker
Stammered jibberish floods
The leader of earth's hope
Rises by trickery without reason.

A great nation is born across the sea
And guides the world two centuries
The moron king then surrenders to defeated foes
But the irony yields no comic relief.

See what I mean? It's easy, because it doesn't have to rhyme. I'll call my book Nostradamus for Dummies to attract Democrat readers.
That's amazing! Nostradamas really knew his stuff!

I'm going to post this on Gab!

cavalier973

But regarding how "scholars" treat the Bible: it bothers me when people say things like, "We know Mark's was the first Gospel, because it's shorter, and doesnt contain as many details, and so Matthew and Luke borrowed from Mark, and from another source we'll call "Q" (!), blah, blah, blah, yackety smackety...."

How do they know that Mark wasnt just a pared down version of Matthew? (I think Mark's Gospel was actually based on Peter's sermons). The Synoptic Gospels are all alike, not because they copied off each other, but BECAUSE THEY ALL ARE DISCUSSING THE SAME REAL EVENTS.

It's the silly, Darwinoid mentality: things start out simple, and grow in complexity over time.

Back