Losing Weight as a Christian

HHA889

Call me Hanna because that's my name :)
Hi everyone,
I was wondering, how can I lose weight in a healthy way, while keeping God in the forefront of my road to healthy choices?

If any of you have done this, I would be so very grateful and appreciative of any advice or related experiences in this matter.

May God bless you and keep you
-Hanna

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I've had an issue with fatty liver lately. So, I've been switching more to a "Med diet" and it is similar to what is eaten in the biblical lands. I'm having to limit red meat. I'd look at that diet and watch your calories. Lots of veggies and fruits. Seafood is primarily the meat (Shrimp and Salmon for me) and I'm eating celery (with Hummus and Tzatziki sauce for snacks). Eating oatmeal a lot to help with late night hunger. Stay clear of breads, pasta, cakes, candies, high sugar items, etc. Be careful of nuts though, lots of calories in a little package. :lol

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I got rid of three pounds recently since two of the biggest sources of stress are now gone/minimized, and sleep, medication, and supplements are getting straightened out.
The relative calm and knowing Dad is now safe with Mom and Jesus in Heaven help me keep my mind on Jesus and what He did for me.

I'm eating one good, well-balanced, high-protein meal (dinner) a day, which is organic and grass-fed to the extent possible (availability in stores), so I don't feel deprived, and not hungry the rest of the day/night (usually), so the weight is slowly coming off. Also drinking a lot of water. I may need some help down the road and the doc has written consults. Unfortunately, one of the big stressors is trying to intrude again [sigh]

Some churches host weight loss programs and Bible studies.

Leigh

I got rid of three pounds recently since two of the biggest sources of stress are now gone/minimized, and sleep, medication, and supplements are getting straightened out.
The relative calm and knowing Dad is now safe with Mom and Jesus in Heaven help me keep my mind on Jesus and what He did for me.

I'm eating one good, well-balanced, high-protein meal (dinner) a day, which is organic and grass-fed to the extent possible (availability in stores), so I don't feel deprived, and not hungry the rest of the day/night (usually), so the weight is slowly coming off. Also drinking a lot of water. I may need some help down the road and the doc has written consults. Unfortunately, one of the big stressors is trying to intrude again [sigh]

Some churches host weight loss programs and Bible studies.

Not trying to take the thread off-topic, but Ghoti I didn’t realized your father had passed! I know that being his caretaker was a huge responsibility, difficult and very draining, but you were a faithful daughter and always did your best for him - as well as for your mother. Prayers and condolences as you continue on. :hug

Ghoti Ichthus

And one of the pounds snuck back on :mad
It's almost as if the "friend" and some family members know when something is working for me so they can cause "issues" (this isn't the first time :mad
Stress makes it really hard to lose weight and keep it off. Cortisol [sigh]

Ghoti Ichthus

Not trying to take the thread off-topic, but Ghoti I didn’t realized your father had passed! I know that being his caretaker was a huge responsibility, difficult and very draining, but you were a faithful daughter and always did your best for him - as well as for your mother. Prayers and condolences as you continue on. :hug
Thank you.

Tying back into the topic at hand, I ended up 50+ pounds overweight from the stress, sleep deprivation, circadian rhythm issues, exhaustion, etc. associated with caregiving and outside stressors. "Ideal" weight is 95-100 :eek
Trying multifaceted approach: healthy diet, more/better sleep at the right time (for me), prayer, eliminating sources of stress (quiet time on the phone has been really nice), and walking the dog. Under supervision of my primary care provider,who can refer/provide additional help if needed.

alisani

I follow a low glycemic, anti-inflammatory diet. Low carb, low sugar fruit in limited amounts, lean protein and lots of veg. Low fat dairy, also limited amounts. It helps with weight loss, regulates my blood sugar so far less struggles with cravings and keeps my gut healthy. I have autoimmune issues, so this is the diet that works for me.

HisGloryIsPrecious

I had COVID around Thanksgiving and my appetite was gone, so I lost five pounds within the span of about 32 hours. It was probably mostly water. I noticed as I was recovering, I stopped eating as much at night. Perhaps not eating as much got rid of my sugar cravings. Since I recovered, I wanted to keep going. So I’ve been going on the stationary bike. I lost another seven pounds. Eating at night and junk food are a bad thing. I’ve always thought, God didn’t make processed foods people make them so it is always good to go natural.

ChildofLight

Since I’ve lost 10 pounds from being sick the past few weeks, I’m trying to eliminate midmorning and midafternoon snacking. Hard for me to do considering what hard physical work I’m doing any given day. Eating a small dessert, if I’m inclined, whether a piece of candy, cake, fruit or whatever at meal time. Eating much smaller amounts and it certainly helps to prepare a plate to put on table as it eliminates overeating. Staying away from packaged and canned products as much as possible. Eat fresh food with few extra ingredients as possible. Also drink plenty of water. I try to drink 1 1/2 quarts morning and another afternoon. Most days I make, other days not do much, usually when I’m in town most of the day.

Follower

I will chime in with my experiences, for what it is worth. My primary belief regarding sustained weight loss is that you must find a plan that works for you, one which not only causes you to lose weight in the short term, but which is sustainable for the long term. I also believe that any such plan should involve regular and consistent exercise.

Now about myself, I have been overweight, but never obese, according to the BMI charts, however ever since my pre-teen years. I was 'chubby'. In junior high and high school, when other guys were surging in height and becoming 'bean poles' I grew up but also grew out. I went from 5'4" and 150 pounds in the 8th grade to 6'2" and 195-200 pounds by Sophomore year of high school. Somewhere in my Junior year I determined to get my appetite under control and exercise more. Through simply eating less everyday and moving more (and lifting weights) I lost down to 180 pounds by Senior year. During college I got as low as 165, I was not 'following a diet plan', I was simply only eating when hungry and exercising (walking mostly) all the time.

After college I moved into marriage and a sedentary desk job. My weight quickly ballooned back to 195+. By the time I reached 35 I was up to 215 pounds (my all time high). In my late 30's I determined to get my weight under control before the onset of middle age. By the time I turned 40 I was sustaining 175 pounds, again by simply eating less and exercising more.

I was able to sustain that weight throughout my 40's and 50's. However in the past two years I began have some allergy and inflammation issues, I tried all the possible medical solutions to these issues but none worked. My dear wife had been eating a Keto (low carb) diet off and on for several years and had success with it. Given that my health issues were not resolving by medication or prayer, I decided I had nothing to lose by giving Keto a try. To my astonishment the diet worked like a charm for me -- my inflammatory and allergy issues cleared up (I can only conclude that somehow my high carb diet was a contributing factor to the problems I was having -- I was a lifelong lover of corn chips, pizza, hamburgers, etc). In the 7 months since I switched I feel much better, I have greatly increased the amount of exercise I am doing (including weight lifting) and, as a bonus I have lost 20 pounds. I never would have guessed that in my late 50's I would weigh less (and feel better) than I did in high school.

I am not saying that a Keto or Carnivore low carbohydrate diet is for everyone, but it has definitely worked for me. I have been faithful to it -- I have only had one "carb up" day in 7 months when my wife and I decided to splurge and have a pizza.

For anyone that struggles with weight, you have my prayers & sympathy, but don't give in to it! Keep trying different options to find something which helps you be healthy and more effective in living your life daily for God.

Back