Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. (Hebrews 12:2)

Longing2cJesus

In order to grow in grace, we must live by faith. "Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace" (Romans 4:16). We cannot progress spiritually by the use of our natural, Adamic faculties. We must walk by faith in the Lord and His word. "We walk by faith, not by sight" (2 Corinthians 5:7). Yet, where do we get faith? What is the source of faith?

Jesus is the source of our faith: "Jesus, the author… of our faith." If we have saving faith in Christ, it was brought into being by Him. Our faith was authored by Jesus in a revelatory and relational manner. He revealed to us the truth we needed to know in His Word.

athenasius

In order to grow in grace, we must live by faith. "Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace" (Romans 4:16). We cannot progress spiritually by the use of our natural, Adamic faculties. We must walk by faith in the Lord and His word. "We walk by faith, not by sight" (2 Corinthians 5:7). Yet, where do we get faith? What is the source of faith?

Jesus is the source of our faith: "Jesus, the author… of our faith." If we have saving faith in Christ, it was brought into being by Him. Our faith was authored by Jesus in a revelatory and relational manner. He revealed to us the truth we needed to know in His Word.
Thank you for this. I so appreciate it. I've always found this so comforting. Jesus began my faith, as the author of my faith in Him AND Jesus also FINISHES that faith, which to my understanding means He completes it. Like when I get hold of that faith I damage it, I get cracks in it and Jesus fixes it all and makes it perfect.

Like He gives me the faith that HE started in me (author of it) and when my fears, my doubts, my inabilities prevent me from having that faith in it's full and complete form, He reaches down and FINISHES that faith on my behalf, so I don't have to have perfect faith in Him, just the mustard seed that He gave me, because the finished work is HIS.

it was one of the things that got me out of the Word Faith hyper faith teachings. I began to see that contrary to Word Faith (they say stupid things like have faith in your faith) that all I had to do was look to Jesus. He began the faith that I had in HIM when I got saved, and HE IS FAITHFUL to complete it just like it says here:

Philippians 1:6 New International Version (NIV)
6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

I stand there like that man who said I believe Lord, HELP THOU MINE UNBELIEF!
Mark 9:23-25 New King James Version (NKJV)

23 Jesus said to him, “If[a] you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”

24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!”

25 When Jesus saw that the people came running together, He rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “Deaf and dumb spirit, I command you, come out of him and enter him no more!”

ItIsFinished!

This will straight preach.
Especially the last two sentences.
Right on friend :thumbup .

Longing2cJesus

Yes, Jesus is the Author of our faith...yet He uses His Word to create that faith...

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
(Rom 10:17)

crossnote, good morning.

I agree "faith does come by hearing" and taking it all into context, Jesus is the "WORD" as it say here,

Jhn 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Therefore Jesus is the "author and finisher" of our faith.

I do hope you have a Blessed day in our LORD.

:hug

Ann

crossnote

crossnote, good morning.

I agree "faith does come by hearing" and taking it all into context, Jesus is the "WORD" as it say here,

Jhn 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Therefore Jesus is the "author and finisher" of our faith.

I do hope you have a Blessed day in our LORD.

:hug

Ann
Actually 'in context' Rom 10:6-17 is speaking about the preaching of the Gospel...for example...Romans 10:15 (KJV) And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!