Long-necked dinosaur fossil found by Argentine scientists is one of biggest ever

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Long-necked dinosaur fossil found by Argentine scientists is one of biggest ever
The dinosaur's bones were so big they caused the van carrying them to a Buenos Aires laboratory to tip over, though no one was injured and the remains were left intact.
By REUTERS

Argentine paleontologists have discovered the remains of a gigantic new species of long-necked herbivorous dinosaur in the country's southern Patagonia region, saying the beast ranks as one of the largest ever discovered.

The find in the Pueblo Blanco Nature Reserve, presented on Thursday, was first discovered by scientists in 2018. The dinosaur's bones were so big they caused the van carrying them to a Buenos Aires laboratory to tip over, though no one was injured and the remains were left intact.

more.............. https://www.jpost.com/science/article-743456

Círeth

Purry, roary, one.
I always thought that behemoths are what the Bible calls dinosuars. I don't think they were tampered with. I think that they must have run out food sources before the flood and gone extinct through hunting and competition for food with humans, because of their size and the sheer amount of vegetation they would have needed to eat.

A diplodocus or stegosaurus would have fed a family for a month. The bony plates on a stegosaurus' back would also make it a very tempting target. There are plenty of uses for horn or ivory and stegs would have had loads.

Hunting and starving the behemoths to extinction may well have been one of the exceedingly wicked deeds that led to the flood. The Lord gave us the world and it's creatures to care for not annihilate.

Considering this I'm surprised that there haven't been more natural disasters given that we've been trashing the planet like never before for since the industrial revolution.

daygo

I always thought that behemoths are what the Bible calls dinosuars. I don't think they were tampered with. I think that they must have run out food sources before the flood and gone extinct through hunting and competition for food with humans, because of their size and the sheer amount of vegetation they would have needed to eat.

A diplodocus or stegosaurus would have fed a family for a month. The bony plates on a stegosaurus' back would also make it a very tempting target. There are plenty of uses for horn or ivory and stegs would have had loads.

Hunting and starving the behemoths to extinction may well have been one of the exceedingly wicked deeds that led to the flood. The Lord gave us the world and it's creatures to care for not annihilate.

Considering this I'm surprised that there haven't been more natural disasters given that we've been trashing the planet like never before for since the industrial revolution.
Interesting what you've said. H

katt

The Bohemeth in Job was a dinosaur, Job was written after the flood. I don't believe the dinosaur became extinct before the flood. They were called dragons in Bible times. Now days they are called Dinosaurs which means giant lizard. Noah took two very young dinosaurs on the ark just as he took two of all the others. Reptiles never stop growing and the climate before the flood was such that it caused everything to grow very big. I could go on all day about this subject, but I won't, I will say however, if you go into the Congo you would find out that, although they don't get as gigantic as they once did, the Dinosaur isn't as extinct as the followers of the religion of evolution want us to believe.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I doubt dinos would have been hunted for food prior to the flood..up until the flood, people were herbivores, right?? Of course , the earth was filled with wickedness, so some may have eaten meat??

I enjoy hearing theories on dinos. I can appreciate what @Chris said...just never considered that view point.

The scenes of long necks grazing in Jurassic Park were beautiful. I often wonder if there will be dinos in the Eternal state?

Carl

The Bohemeth in Job was a dinosaur, Job was written after the flood. I don't believe the dinosaur became extinct before the flood. They were called dragons in Bible times. Now days they are called Dinosaurs which means giant lizard. Noah took two very young dinosaurs on the ark just as he took two of all the others. Reptiles never stop growing and the climate before the flood was such that it caused everything to grow very big. I could go on all day about this subject, but I won't, I will say however, if you go into the Congo you would find out that, although they don't get as gigantic as they once did, the Dinosaur isn't as extinct as the followers of the religion of evolution want us to believe.
Right on katt! The scientist that says light has slowed down since Creation has a projection of the disasters that have come upon the earth since Creation. 1. Flood
2. Splitting of one continent at Creation into what we have today.
3. Asteroid strikes during the book of Job which started the ice age and killed off the dinosaurs.

usoutpost31

I enjoy hearing theories on dinos. I can appreciate what @Chris said...just never considered that view point.

It's a theory among some creationists because some dinosaurs would have looked so unusual and even counter intuitive in their design (small heads on a large body, ex).

For some reason that conclusion doesn't get made about some of the insects, birds, or animals that inhabit caves, or the deep ocean. There are creatures living today that are just as odd looking as any dinosaur would've been.

katt

I doubt dinos would have been hunted for food prior to the flood..up until the flood, people were herbivores, right?? Of course , the earth was filled with wickedness, so some may have eaten meat??

The scenes of long necks grazing in Jurassic Park were beautiful. I often wonder if there will be dinos in the Eternal state?
I believe there will be,.
I can't wait to ride a Pterodactyl. Had no idea that was spelt with a P, until I looked it up. ROFL!!!.. :lol

MapleLeaf

Nature, even historic nature, is super fascinating. And a lot of the skeletons have been best guesses at times too. When a bunch of bones are jumbled together it isn't always perfect science to determine what goes where. And yes, a lot of creatures alive today are very strange as well. Deep sea creatures and cave creature are some of the most bizarre.

It is hard to imagine a body structure that supports the weight of such massive bones. It would have to have put a lot of stress on the joints and taken a massive respiratory system to support the energy required to move that massive frame around.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...

Sometimes science has to revisit "facts" because they were established on false premises that had not truly been proofed.

I do like Ken Ham's hypothesis: If the world was destroyed by flood, we can expect to find millions of dead things buried and fossilized.
So far his hypothesis has been reliable and proof tested.

I do recall some paleontologist studied those "fin - plates" on stegosaurus and found they were porous/hollow and likely served as heat dissipaters.
Actually the cause of dinosaur extinction was the invention of BBQ sauce. I learned that from the Flintstones. ;)

Actually it was global cooling that killed most of them off.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
I had always understood that the long necks was to be able to reach incredibly tall trees:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mississippi-petrified-forest

....You can see this natural phenomenon just 30 minutes north of Jackson, at the Mississippi Petrified Forest. There, a nature walk winds through a prehistoric forest of maple, fir, palm, and other types trees (including some now-extinct species) that turned to stone many millions of years ago.

Experts estimate that these trees were ancient giants when they were alive, growing to be at least a thousand years old and standing over a hundred feet tall.....

Here's an article with pictures of prehistoric tree roots indicating incredible size of these trees (I came across another article sharing that some had hollow cores which allowed for the heights of some, comparing them to stalks of celery in parts of their design ):

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/20/us/fossil-trees-new-york-worlds-oldest-trnd-scn/index.html

Interstingly in the article they state:

...The team hypothesizes a catastrophic flood killed most of the trees in the forest and preserved the root system as fossils. They even found fish fossils near the largest trees....

...During the Devonian, scientists say a drastic drop in CO2 levels led to a cooling of the earth, which may have caused an extinction at the end of the period...

Seems CO2 is kind of important to life on earth.....

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
There was speculation that Brachiosaurs and Apatosaurus were so large they might collapse on dry land, so they spent most of their time semi-submerged - like hippos.

Thus the necks were more for snorkeling than picking off tree tops. :thinking

Back