Lineage of Christ and numbers

I've been studying the lineage of Jesus according to the accounts given in Matthew 1 and Luke 3, with a little bit of help from the OT (Genesis 5 and 1 Chronicles 1-8).
I've discovered that if you merge the lineage from the OT and Matthew's account together that Jesus is the 70th after Adam (I counted Adam as the first generation
in this chronology). WIth Luke's account merged Jesus is the 77th after Adam (I didn't count God as the first generation since God is a Spirit according to Jesus in John 4:24 and Solomon was the seventh son of David making him the 40th in line instead of the 34th).

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of people in the 7th generation after ''x'' had a extraordinary destiny (Enoch: 7, ascended into heaven, Eber: 14, the father of the Hebrews, Isaac: 21, Son of the promise and a foreshadowing of Christ, 28: Nahshon, Prince of the children of Judah etc.).

But there is something about Luke lineage which I cannot quite understand so maybe someone can help me with this. It's stated in Luke 3:36 that Cainan is the father of Eber instead of Arphaxad. This is not mentioned in the other lineages given by Matthew or the OT, which state that Sala was Eber's father. So why did Luke mention Cainan? His name is also not mentioned in their accounts.

I hope that this discovery will strengthen your faith or that it might help to convince you that the bible is a 100% true account, that Jesus is indeed the messiah and that you need him as your Lord and Savior.

Greetings from Hope :D

Last edited:

Tink

I've been studying the lineage of Jesus according to the accounts given in Matthew 1 and Luke 3, with a little bit of help from the OT (Genesis 5 and 1 Chronicles 1-8).
I've discovered that if you merge the lineage from the OT and Matthew's account together that Jesus is the 70th after Adam (I counted Adam as the first generation
in this chronology). WIth Luke's account merged Jesus is the 77th after Adam (I didn't count God as the first generation since God is a Spirit according to Jesus in John 4:24 and Solomon was the seventh son of David making him the 40th in line instead of the 34th).

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of people in the 7th generation after ''x'' had a extraordinary destiny (Enoch: 7, ascended into heaven, Eber: 14, the father of the Hebrews, Isaac: 21, Son of the promise and a foreshadowing of Christ, 28: Nahshon, Prince of the children of Judah etc.).

But there is something about Luke lineage which I cannot quite understand so maybe someone can help me with this. It's stated in Luke 3:36 that Cainan is the father of Eber instead of Arphaxad. This is not mentioned in the other lineages given by Matthew or the OT, which state that Sala was Eber's father. So why did Luke mention Cainan? His name is also not mentioned in their accounts.

I hope that this discovery will strengthen your faith or that it might help to convince you that the bible is a 100% true account, that Jesus is indeed the messiah and that you need him as your Lord and Savior.

Greetings from Hope :D
If you enjoy number patterns in scripture, look into Ivan Panin. He devoted most of his life to numeric patterns in scripture. What he discovered is amazing.

Back