Life Update on Me, Myself, and I

Aiyanna

Do folks do life update things on here? Please tell me this is kind of allowed, within reason of course? Do ya'll like life updates? It's kind of like a real world comedy show sometimes. Though mine isn't super funny. I just felt like sharing a few things that God has done with me these past couple years.

So I seem to remember saying something about getting a job working for a bank years ago. Pre-covid. That's not just "years" ago, that's seriously like EONS ago. So yeah, I got the job and have been working as a lowly little teller ever since. Last year was tons of fun. And by fun, I don't necessarily mean "fun" fun. I mean "Oh Heavenly Father, why are You DOING this to me????" Kind of fun. The kind of "fun" where you go home, crawl in bed still in your fancy work clothes (for those in dirtier jobs, please don't do that. Just don't. The sheets get dirty) and ask God what you did wrong.
My humble little banking team got split in half. One week on, one week off, all summer. I was in team A and it was just me and my supervisor. Team B had two tellers and a banker. I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to have me, a lowly teller 1 (it's like an ensign) be the only teller for an entire week. I know God says we should always forgive so that we ourselves can be forgiven. Let's just say that I forgive this person, whoever they are, just enough to be forgiven.
It was insane. I don't know why. All the little businesses were closed. But everyone and their grandmothers, pets, grandbabies, and gold fish suddenly had urgent banking business all summer long. The lines went through the parking lot. My supervisor was swamped with PPP loans, so I did my utmost to not bug her. Believe me when I say the back office got to know me REAL well. The answers I got when I had to call quickly went from "Hello, how can I help you?" to "Hello again". The Good Lord in His great wisdom somehow helped me learn a ton of higher banking stuff and how to juggle 3 or 4 transactions at once while balancing my drawer and running all my work through the scanner periodically.... I don't remember much. I just remember that I didn't have time to feel stressed, the stress would sort of catch up with me after I got home. Kind of like when someone tells you a joke and you don't laugh until hours later after you finally figure it out.
My supervisor kept praising me and telling me how impressed she was, which always left me a little confused. I didn't think it was all that impressive. Is survival impressive? What's impressive was that God, in His Grace, kept dragging me back every morning.
I will say that the weeks I had off while the other team was in, was really really nice. But Thursday night of those weeks off I would start having nightmares. Seriously dark nightmares. I think it was stress from knowing that I would have to go back the next week? I don't know.

Ok, so why did I tell you all that?... Hold on a minute.... Oh yeah.... So before all that happened, my supervisor had asked me if I would ever be interested in being a full banker. She was somehow convinced that I would be great at it (gotta love a good sense of humor). I told her yes (why say no to a pay-raise?). So she started working on a way to get me started (mind you, I was still an ensign in the ranks. That's like jumping 3 promotions. There's tellers 1,2, and 3 and then there's the FSRs). Our dear and all to familiar friend, Covid, brought that to a screeching halt and nothing more was said, so I figured it probably wouldn't happen. Then, last..... Um..... Spring? I got promoted to Teller 2. I could FINALLY do wires! That was my sole goal in life! You have no idea how frustrating it got being the only person in the bank who wasn't able to help customers with wire transfers.
Ok, so jump ahead past summer to, well, now. My supervisor, again, asked me if I was still interested in being a banker. I told her yes, because, again, why would I say "no." And then a few weeks later the branch supervisor called me into his office. My first thought was "Oh no. I don't know what I did, but I really did it now." I bid farewell to my coworkers and marched to his office.... He greeted me and had me take a seat. Then asked me if I would like to be a banker (If that's a punishment for something, it's an odd punishment) I told him I would, and he told me that was good because he and my supervisor were working hard to get me promoted. He told me I would be skipping a level, but insisted that I already know everything inside and out and that, since I already do a lot of higher banker stuff (thanks to last year's comedy of errors) it would be really easy for me to "slide" into the new position.
I was officially promoted.... Hang on, let me look..... I think it was the 27th of September. So a couple weeks ago.
Yup, I got my own important little desk. Customers have been congratulating me. I even got myself a daily planner because God in His great wisdom knows that I am going to need one.
There's a catch though. I'm still in the role of a teller too. There's only two full tellers now and I have been trying to run back and forth between training and helping them.
So this "life update" is also sort of a little prayer request too. I'm feeling a tad overwhelmed. What was I thinking when I said yes??? I have SO MUCH to learn and so little time to learn it. Last week was my training banker's last week. So this next week, it's game on. It's the end of the world. It's, are you sure you want me in this position? It's WHAT HAVE I DONE??? I'm having nightly nightmares again. I seem to get bizarre dreams and nightmares whenever I'm feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Even when I just take a little cat nap on the weekends I get the craziest dreams/nightmares.

I'm sorry this is so long. I felt like sharing, but if anyone didn't read through it, that's ok. It really is. I won't be offended, I promise. If the wonderful mods on roll their eyes and delete it, thank you. You've probably saved everyone.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
Congrats! God is good. He always puts us where we are supposed to be. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have wondered "God why am I here?" Or "God this is too hard for me." Only to find out He has me where I am for a purpose.

Try praying and reading the Word before you sleep, it can help with the bad dreams. God bless.

Leigh

I'm sorry this is so long. I felt like sharing, but if anyone didn't read through it, that's ok. It really is. I won't be offended, I promise. If the wonderful mods on roll their eyes and delete it, thank you. You've probably saved everyone.
I did -- I read it all!! :nod It was so interesting, and there's no reason to delete anything (well, I'm not a mod, but as far as I'm concerned there's not).

Congrats on the promotion, and for jumping a level. That must be like skipping a grade in school! :D

By now you've already finished your first day without your trainer there to help! How did everything go?!?

JamesSuth

Well done @Aiyanna ! Thank you for sharing what has been happening at work. The feelings of stress and not being able to cope are just feelings. I think it is pretty much impossible to feel calm and in control when we are too busy. But the reality is that you did perform really well, with God's help of course. And your employer has noticed and given you the promotion! Congratulations! It is a gift from God.

I used to work in a bank for a short time, it is a demanding role. Colossians 3: "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ."

You are serving your community, but you are also serving God in your work :). Probably most of the rewards in Heaven will be for how we work as that is where we spend most of our time.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
That is awesome! You sound very talented. I wish I had the ability to multitask like you do. (I did years ago, when I worked at a bank in the mortgage dept, during the biggest refinance craze ever.) You just keep asking the Lord for His strength and wisdom and soon you will be doing everything like second nature. :pray Congrats!

Excellent!

Love the humor. If I didn't deal with my life with humor I would be a sad boy. Me and my colleagues joke around a lot. We say "they're gonna find me out!" Find out we don't know what we are doing that is.

I would just say you'll figure it out. I think they see you can. God bless you sister. :)

Aiyanna

Thank you for all the support everyone! I just finished week.... Hang on, I have to look..... 3? And the branch hasn't burned down (always a plus). I didn't really get a whole lot of training, but God heard your prayers (and my silent "HELP"s) and I found that opening, making changes, and correcting accounts is way easier than I thought it would be and haven't needed anyone to watch over my shoulder.
Earlier this week I had a young couple ask me if they could open an account. I had only opened a few and none on my own, but the teller supervisor told them that I would be happy to help them.... Right..... I would..... Totally.... It ended up going great. Way easier than my overactive imagination made me believe and they were happy customers (very important). I have since had to go into several accounts (including business accounts) and make tweaks adding and removing signers etc. And I have even opened a few. Again, the branch is still standing...

The branch manager gave me rather high praise that, honestly, I'm not worthy of because I had help he couldn't see (the Lord of course).
I'm a "lower tier" banker, so I still help at teller row. I love it. It keeps me busy and there's only two other tellers so an extra hand is always nice.
I rarely if ever just sit at my desk, I'm usually running around all over the branch.

Oh, and I was welcomed into the banker's book club. I love reading. I read all the time. Everything in sight from the ketchup bottle to the dictionary (I still have an actual, non-electronic dictionary with, you know, pages). But I don't know how these people squeeze in time to read a full actual book. And I only have one week to read the whole thing..... So honestly I should be doing that instead of hanging out here, but..... Well, here we are.

Anywho, Thank you all again so so much for all the prayers! I hope all of you have had an absolutely wonderfully blessed week. It's the weekend now:yeah

Aiyanna

By now you've already finished your first day without your trainer there to help! How did everything go?!?
It was great.... I actually didn't have a whole lot of bank work to do, so I spent a lot of time at teller row helping the team.... Actually, I take that back. I did have a stack of account stuff I had to mess with. But they were so easy I had them done before lunches started..... Unless I did them wrong..... :unsure.... No one has said anything though..... Yet.....

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
Thank you for all the support everyone! I just finished week.... Hang on, I have to look..... 3? And the branch hasn't burned down (always a plus). I didn't really get a whole lot of training, but God heard your prayers (and my silent "HELP"s) and I found that opening, making changes, and correcting accounts is way easier than I thought it would be and haven't needed anyone to watch over my shoulder.
Earlier this week I had a young couple ask me if they could open an account. I had only opened a few and none on my own, but the teller supervisor told them that I would be happy to help them.... Right..... I would..... Totally.... It ended up going great. Way easier than my overactive imagination made me believe and they were happy customers (very important). I have since had to go into several accounts (including business accounts) and make tweaks adding and removing signers etc. And I have even opened a few. Again, the branch is still standing...

The branch manager gave me rather high praise that, honestly, I'm not worthy of because I had help he couldn't see (the Lord of course).
I'm a "lower tier" banker, so I still help at teller row. I love it. It keeps me busy and there's only two other tellers so an extra hand is always nice.
I rarely if ever just sit at my desk, I'm usually running around all over the branch.

Oh, and I was welcomed into the banker's book club. I love reading. I read all the time. Everything in sight from the ketchup bottle to the dictionary (I still have an actual, non-electronic dictionary with, you know, pages). But I don't know how these people squeeze in time to read a full actual book. And I only have one week to read the whole thing..... So honestly I should be doing that instead of hanging out here, but..... Well, here we are.

Anywho, Thank you all again so so much for all the prayers! I hope all of you have had an absolutely wonderfully blessed week. It's the weekend now:yeah
It sounds like you are well on your way to an eventual management position!