Life Changing 180 Degree Turn

Greetings All!
I thought before I contribute to forum discussions and what-not, that I should share my testimony about becoming a believer in Christ.
It was 2011 and I was 25 years old. Recently married, no children. Like so many before me (and my wife), I was doing drugs, drinking, prone to angry outbursts and basically just living in the world system. I thought that if there was a God than me and him would be all good because i was a good person. I had a respectable job (school teacher) and life was going along fairly nicely - however looking back now I can see how empty it truly was and I cant for the life of me understand how I could have lived a day, let alone 25 years without the Lord.
Now to the good bit!!!!
My wife's mother passed away in mid 2011 and her passing got my wife thinking about where her mum had gone after her passing. Some of my teacher friends were Christians and used to appear to my wife and I to be so peaceful and happy - they had something that we didn't have. One day they invited my wife to attend their local House Church which she started doing most Sunday evenings. It was a small group, anywhere between 5 and 12 people on any given night, led by an elderly couple. I had no problem with my wife attending the group as she was grieving the loss of her mother and it was clearly helping her to attend and find peace about where her mum might be. I personally had no interest in attending - still thinking me and God were all good - although i did consider the thought the House Church could be a cult, so I kept a close eye on how my wife behaved from then on in. I did some research into Christianity and Jesus, read some books and developed a basic understanding of the gospel and that Jesus was God's son, and the only way to eternal salvation.
A number of weeks later my wife came home and told me that she was giving up on the Christian thing - the group she visited had given her an ultimatum of sorts. They had told her that if she chose to follow Jesus that He would have to come first in her life. She didn't like hearing that, as she had always put me first in her life and couldn't accept that God would have to come first. This was the end of her search as far as she was concerned, although our soon to be Lord had other ideas!
A short time later, I think only days, I was at home alone sitting on the couch watching something on TV and pondering the things of God and the things I had read about Jesus. I distinctly remember asking God what it would be like to be sent to hell for being a sinner? As I asked that question my whole body went tight, every muscle, until I was unable to move. My body then began to curl itself into a tight ball that I was unable to release myself from. Almost wraith like. At the same time that this was happening, my whole mind and body was filled with utter despair, depression, sadness, emptiness, fear - it was the most awful feeling I have ever experienced in my life. This experience lasted probably about 10 seconds and it was at this point that I acknowledged in my mind that this was God showing me precisely what hell would be like if I was to end up there. As I accepted that and the truth and acceptance of who Jesus was came into my heart all of the physical restrictions and mental anguish vanished and my entire body was filled with the most amazing, precious indwelling of glory and peace I had ever felt in my life. It was like I had come alive to a degree I never had before and I jumped up from the couch and whooped and yelled and ran up and down and around our small home for all the joy that filled me. I got onto my computer and began typing up a recount of what had occured, still filled with His joy. The feeling only left me when I allowed it too, when at one stage during my typing on the computer I considered a sinful, non Godly thought, and it vanished.
I pondered on this experience over the next 24-36 hours and eventually, as we were driving somewhere, shared it with my wife and told her that I could not deny the truth of what had happened and that I was going (had given!) my life to Jesus Christ and that I was a reborn man and would serve Him from this day forward. My wife freaked out and had trouble accepting my heartfelt plea for her to put God first in her life and to give up her life to Jesus. But God is good, and God is faithful and it was only a day later that she knelt down and gave her life to Him ,confessing her sinful nature and telling Him she trusted in His blood and His death and His resurrection from the dead for her to be saved and with God for eternity.
God is good! When he couldn't quite get her into the Kingdom, He worked on me! He put the very fear of God into me and I melted like butter.
Scripture teaches that if we seek, knock and ask then we will find. I believe that our search, my wife and mine, was a hearltfelt search for the truth and that because of this the Father called us into Jesus Kingdom. It's actually been a lesson for me when sharing the good news - is the person im talking too actually searching? Because if they are than a seed will definitely be planted.
Much love and thank you for reading.
Rohan

PS the Lord gave my wife a dream shortly after which confirmed that her mother was with Him in heaven.

Last edited:

ItIsFinished!

Yes, welcome my friend.
What a great testimony.
It is always great to hear about the love of Christ and His grace and mercy.
May the Lord use you and your wife in a mighty way.

Peace in Christ.

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome! Truly a blessing to fellowship with like-minded brothers and sisters! After moving away from our House Church we have found it hard to find people such as yourselves who share our zeal for Christ. House Church was intimate, in that we shared our lives with one another and created an excellent support network. We became family. We have found it impossible so far to replicate this with traditional church. We modelled the House Church on the ones found in Acts and He blessed our group so much.
Thank you again and may He richly bless you wherever you need it in your lives.
Rohan and Amelia