Librarian's lament: Digital books are not fireproof

GEOINTAnalyst

The disturbing trend of school boards and lawmakers banning books from libraries and public schools is accelerating across the country. In response, Jason Perlow made a strong case last week for what he calls a "Freedom Archive," a digital repository of banned books. Such an archive is the right antidote to book banning because, he contended, "You can't burn a digital book." The trouble is, you can.
A few days ago, Penguin Random House, the publisher of Maus, Art Spiegelman's Pulitzer Prize-winning graphic novel about the Holocaust, demanded that the Internet Archive remove the book from our lending library. Why? Because, in their words, "consumer interest in 'Maus' has soared" as the result of a Tennessee school board's decision to ban teaching the book. By its own admission, to maximize profits, a Goliath of the publishing industry is forbidding our non-profit library from lending a banned book to our patrons: a real live digital book-burning.
We are the library of last resort, where anyone can get access to books that may be controversial wherever they happen to live -- an existing version of Perlow's proposed "Freedom Archive." Today, the Internet Archive lends a large selection of other banned books, including Animal Farm, Winnie the Pooh, The Call of the Wild, and the Junie B. Jones and Goosebumps children's book series. But all of these books are also in danger of being destroyed.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/digital-books-are-not-fireproof/

depserv

I think it's a good idea to look through piles of used books and find old history books, so there is some record of what really took place historically. This applies to other books too, especially textbooks, since older ones will not be oriented toward indoctrination into the satanic cult that controls the education system now,

Years ago when I was doing freelance writing I used to collect books on grammar and writing style. I found that the best ones were the older ones, the closer to the early 20th Century the better. It seems like by the early 80s the liberal cult had taken control of the publishing industry and was changing language, which to me consisted of squalid butchery of language. So pre-80s are generally good, though not always since the takeover of the publishing industry took place slowly but surely over several decades, but the older the better.

I have heard that there was a time when no complete Bible existed, because there was a government edict that all Bibles be destroyed (from Rome if I remember right), so Christians disassembled their Bibles so that if anyone was found it would only be part of the book that was destroyed. Could we find ourselves in another time like that? With what I see happening around us nothing would surprise me.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I think it's a good idea to look through piles of used books and find old history books, so there is some record of what really took place historically. This applies to other books too, especially textbooks, since older ones will not be oriented toward indoctrination into the satanic cult that controls the education system now,

Years ago when I was doing freelance writing I used to collect books on grammar and writing style. I found that the best ones were the older ones, the closer to the early 20th Century the better. It seems like by the early 80s the liberal cult had taken control of the publishing industry and was changing language, which to me consisted of squalid butchery of language. So pre-80s are generally good, though not always since the takeover of the publishing industry took place slowly but surely over several decades, but the older the better.

I have heard that there was a time when no complete Bible existed, because there was a government edict that all Bibles be destroyed (from Rome if I remember right), so Christians disassembled their Bibles so that if anyone was found it would only be part of the book that was destroyed. Could we find ourselves in another time like that? With what I see happening around us nothing would surprise me.

There are many places in the world in which mere possession of a Bible or Torah or any portion thereof, and Christian or Jewish religious literature, teaching materials, etc. is an automatic death sentence. On-the-spot in some places. I didn't care . . . when in service, my very small pocket Bible sealed in Zip lock baggies was always with me in my pocket. Obviously never got caught :lol

Bibles with and without Apocrypha have been banned at various times and places. Also Bibles in the common language instead of Latin, notably Luther's German translation.

Monasteries in the East were very isolated and inaccessible for various reasons, including scribe (Scripture copying) activities without intereference. Here's St Catherine's in Sinai https://www.sinaimonastery.com/index.php/en/library

American Library Association (very liberal, PC organization, but it's the biggest professional library association in the world)
https://www.ala.org/advocacy/bbooks

Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_banned_books

:pray :pray :amen :amen

Last edited:

HisGloryIsPrecious

Working in a college library, I notice there are several history textbooks on the same subject for the same courses. They are always being updated. I know it is mostly about money, but I tell my co-workers if the books all say something different, there must be something wrong. I get some shushing when I say that. It's also absurd that classics are being banned in public libraries, but you can have perverted material for your kids, while drag queens read to them.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
Working in a college library, I notice there are several history textbooks on the same subject for the same courses. They are always being updated. I know it is mostly about money, but I tell my co-workers if the books all say something different, there must be something wrong. I get some shushing when I say that. It's also absurd that classics are being banned in public libraries, but you can have perverted material for your kids, while drag queens read to them.

Huge differences in science and medical textbooks, as well.

If you're at a secular or non-Jewish/non-Christian college, bet there's nothing published by Institute for Creation Research there. Ditto conservative Christian denominations or organizations :frown