Let's talk knives: who carries a one.

pixelpusher

When we got married, someone gave us a picnic set that had an Opinel knife in it. That was lost years ago, but a few months back, I saw Opinels in the case at GOPC. I picked up a medium size one not to carry, but for a kitchen knife! It is carbon steel, and develops a patina if you cut acidic things like tomato or lemon with it, but the patina protects the blade. I got the "carbone" because with just a few swipes on the stone it gets razor sharp. Not even my good chefs knife can cut a 'mater like that Opinel. Plus, it is quirky, a wooden handle, with a rotating steel lock collar. Neat knife.

Eric Nicholas

When we got married, someone gave us a picnic set that had an Opinel knife in it. That was lost years ago, but a few months back, I saw Opinels in the case at GOPC. I picked up a medium size one not to carry, but for a kitchen knife! It is carbon steel, and develops a patina if you cut acidic things like tomato or lemon with it, but the patina protects the blade. I got the "carbone" because with just a few swipes on the stone it gets razor sharp. Not even my good chefs knife can cut a 'mater like that Opinel. Plus, it is quirky, a wooden handle, with a rotating steel lock collar. Neat knife.

Opinels are a tried and true classic. Those high flat grinds and thin stock make them excellent slicers. I love carbon patinas. You can force them and make some wild patterns. Carbon steels are my favorite, especially 1095, 5200, and on the end of that spectrum, D2. Good times.

pixelpusher

Opinels are a tried and true classic. Those high flat grinds and thin stock make them excellent slicers. I love carbon patinas. You can force them and make some wild patterns. Carbon steels are my favorite, especially 1095, 5200, and on the end of that spectrum, D2. Good times.
So Eric, what do you know about this H1 steel I think it is, like the Spyderco Salt? I really want to replace the current dive knife I have on my PFD, but I already own that, and Spydercos are spendy...

I hear that you can sharpen it easily, but it loses edge quickly, but does something called "work hardening" where the more you use it and sharpen it, the longer it holds an edge.

PFD knife for me rarely sees any use, maybe it cuts salami at a lunch stop. But it needs to be ready to cut anything from fishing line to heavier rope or even brambles and small branches if I were to get caught in a strainer. Problem with the current PFD knife is it's a bit floppy on it's lash point, and really hard to sharpen. I have a functional edge on it now, but it also rusts a little bit, and if I don't keep after that it can get out of hand.

Eric Nicholas

So Eric, what do you know about this H1 steel I think it is, like the Spyderco Salt? I really want to replace the current dive knife I have on my PFD, but I already own that, and Spydercos are spendy...

I hear that you can sharpen it easily, but it loses edge quickly, but does something called "work hardening" where the more you use it and sharpen it, the longer it holds an edge.

PFD knife for me rarely sees any use, maybe it cuts salami at a lunch stop. But it needs to be ready to cut anything from fishing line to heavier rope or even brambles and small branches if I were to get caught in a strainer. Problem with the current PFD knife is it's a bit floppy on it's lash point, and really hard to sharpen. I have a functional edge on it now, but it also rusts a little bit, and if I don't keep after that it can get out of hand.

I do know the steel you speak of, but I have no personal experience with it to give any anecdotes. What I've read about it seems to line up with exactly what you posted. I think H1's big draw is that it just refuses to rust. LC200N is better because it retains almost as much stainlessness, 90 some percent to be exact and holds and edge a lot longer.

I don't know what your budget is and yes Spydercos can get up there. They always have such a wide variety of steel to choose from. The last Spyderco that I owned was the Spyderco Temperance 2. Anyway, for about the 150ish mark you can look at the Spyderco Waterway. It's highly regarded in areas of aquatic employment.

If you want to go cheap but can perform well, Cold Steel's Outdoorsman Lite. It's like 27ish American dollars. Good stainless capability but you do run into lack of edge retention, but if you aren't using it much, maybe something like that would suit you, but it will do all the cutting you need to do that was listed. But as far as edge retention and stainlessness goes, LC200N appears to be king, for now.

Also, I sharpened knives as a side gig years ago. If you need or want tips let me know, though showing the actual action would be hard on here, ha!

Last edited:
I do know the steel you speak of, but I have no personal experience with it to give any anecdotes. What I've read about it seems to line up with exactly what you posted. I think H1's big draw is that it just refuses to rust. LC200N is better because it retains almost as much stainlessness, 90 some percent to be exact and holds and edge a lot longer.

I don't know what your budget is and yes Spydercos can get up there. They always have such a wide variety of steel to choose from. The last Spyderco that I owned was the Spyderco Temperance 2. Anyway, for about the 150ish mark you can look at the Spyderco Waterway. It's highly regarded in areas of aquatic employment.

If you want to go cheap but can perform well, Cold Steel's Outdoorsman Lite. It's like 27ish American dollars. Good stainless capability but you do run into lack of edge retention, but if you aren't using it much, maybe something like that would suit you, but it will do all the cutting you need to do that was listed. But as far as edge retention and stainlessness goes, LC200N appears to be king, for now.

Also, I sharpened knives as a side gig years ago. If you need or want tips let me know, though showing the actual action would be hard on here, ha!

Yeah; H1 steel is what they call "Austenitic Stainless Steel": that means that at room temperature rather than the typical ferrite or martensite room temperature phases, the steel remains at Austenitic phase. In other words: it remains at a different version of steel that normally exists at a higher temperature. Because of this, it is highly resistant to rust, and keeps a sharp edge. one issue though is that it can be difficult to grind and often has to be 'hollow ground" to gain an edge.

An interesting side not: look at the pic of the electron configuration at the Wikipedia entry for Austenitic stainless steel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austenitic_stainless_steel

Eric Nicholas

Yeah; H1 steel is what they call "Austenitic Stainless Steel": that means that at room temperature rather than the typical ferrite or martensite room temperature phases, the steel remains at Austenitic phase. In other words: it remains at a different version of steel that normally exists at a higher temperature. Because of this, it is highly resistant to rust, and keeps a sharp edge. one issue though is that it can be difficult to grind and often has to be 'hollow ground" to gain an edge.

An interesting side not: look at the pic of the electron configuration at the Wikipedia entry for Austenitic stainless steel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austenitic_stainless_steel

Yeah, a lot of stainless is a bear to grind and sharpen. It's why I prefer my carbon steels, but for an environment like pixelpusher has, it would just not be up to snuff. Some of the stainless I have had to grind and sharpen just took so long and was very labor and material intensive to justify it for my environment. I do like some stainless like CPM S35VN and CPM20CV, though, I just wouldn't keep them submerged in salt for too long.

Are you a knife guy, brother?

Yeah, a lot of stainless is a bear to grind and sharpen. It's why I prefer my carbon steels, but for an environment like pixelpusher has, it would just not be up to snuff. Some of the stainless I have had to grind and sharpen just took so long and was very labor and material intensive to justify it for my environment. I do like some stainless like CPM S35VN and CPM20CV, though, I just wouldn't keep them submerged in salt for too long.

Are you a knife guy, brother?

Not particularly, but I do have some metallurgical knowledge. I used to own a reproduction katana and a "wallhanger" barbarian sword about 10 years back. I learned a bit about metals after a gunsmithing training program; forgot much of it but retained the metal knowledge.

Eric Nicholas

Not particularly, but I do have some metallurgical knowledge. I used to own a reproduction katana and a "wallhanger" barbarian sword about 10 years back. I learned a bit about metals after a gunsmithing training program; forgot much of it but retained the metal knowledge.

Yeah, I used to hobby about with metallurgy. It's quite interesting. After you dive into it, you realize that steel isn't just steel; it's quite a process and chemistry.

Narrow Path

Started EDC a few years ago. Nothing fancy, just something I can pull and open in a very short amount of time. At the time I started carrying it, I worked in a production area with a lot of minorities, many of them Muslims. The white people were very much in the minority in that environment. I never had any problems where I felt threatened. But as my employer is in lockstep with all things politically correct, that could embolden any who might be radicalized. I felt it would be good to have something on my person. Have never need to use it in self defense thankfully.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I used to carry a Leatherman when I worked field service, it was excellent because I could do a service call with just the Leatherman sometimes LOL. I have a couple Cold Steel boot knives that I used to carry daily. I also have a few nice Buck knives. Some Victorinox Swiss Army knives...

I haven't carried a blade in a while and when I go anywhere I feel could be dangerous I just carry a 9mm or .40 :salute

Eric Nicholas

I used to carry a Leatherman when I worked field service, it was excellent because I could do a service call with just the Leatherman sometimes LOL. I have a couple Cold Steel boot knives that I used to carry daily. I also have a few nice Buck knives. Some Victorinox Swiss Army knives...

I haven't carried a blade in a while and when I go anywhere I feel could be dangerous I just carry a 9mm or .40 :salute

I love Cold Steel. They make some tough stuff. However, I do wish their fixed blades had handles that were affixed to the tang with screws along the handle, etc, instead of the single hollow, flared out pins. I've had far too many handles that loosened up like that. I like the Buck 124 Frontiersman, it's a beaut.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I have a 110 and a 112. The sweet thing about Buck is that they have lifetime warranties. I had 1 from the 80s and one from the late 90s and I sent them in and they serviced them and made them like new. They will sharpen and clean them and/or throw a new blade on for a few bucks. That 124 looks pretty nice. Cold Steel has the same warranty too. I've been wanting to get a 4" or 6" TI-LITE for CC for a while. I just can't justify spending the money when I already have a bunch of knives LOL.

seated with Christ

This thread is about pocket's and clip on knives, but I had a Vietnam era combat knife with shieve. I hated to give it to my younger brother, but just like the Jews, I fear any blood that might be on it. The second reason was my older brother, while in the SeaBees haws building a Marine Base at Da Nang, and they would bring the dead marines there for processing. So he and others would strip the dead, they would send the combat knives to the states, so, no way I wanted to keep it for fear of blood and in honor of the dead.

FaithnHope

Loved and changed by Jesus.
I carry a Leatherman and one my hubby bought me that’s like a switchblade (I know they are illegal so it isn’t). I almost posted a photo on Instagram like you did here Eric but realized my followers would likely have a heart attack and report me. :lol I carry one all the time. I’m a girlie girl. My Leatherman is pink!

Eric Nicholas

I carry a Leatherman and one my hubby bought me that’s like a switchblade (I know they are illegal so it isn’t). I almost posted a photo on Instagram like you did here Eric but realized my followers would likely have a heart attack and report me. :lol I carry one all the time. I’m a girlie girl. My Leatherman is pink!
Haha! I love it! Great job.