Let's talk knives: who carries a one.

Len

My Pops always carried a pocket knife
I have always had a knife of one sort or another whether it was on my belt, in a pocket or fixed blade down my bike boots, and now my 4yo grandson wants one too as his dad and his Pa both have knives!! Just this week I wanted to buy a new folder that I saw on ebay to add to what I already have but my wife says NO! LOL..... I prefer a 3" to 4" blade with a pocket clip, G10 scales prefer colour over black!! and like a tanto style blade, Sanvick or D2 steel as I cannot afford the new wonder steels on offer as I am on a very small income but I do love my knives and will look for them at garage sales in the hope of getting something super cheap to add to my small collection

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I used to always carry a knife. It came in real handy. The most recent one was/is a Gerber pocket knife. It's just one of the things that always went in to one of my pockets. When they outlawed carrying knives on planes I slowly got out of the habit. Now I rarely carry a knife but, as I age out, I rarely need one now anyways. I do pack a knife in my check luggage when I travel.

Back when I flew operational missions for the USAF I kept a dagger sheathed in one of my boots. We also had a gun in our parachute survival kits. I cut myself with the dagger more than once and eventually came to prefer it sheathed....

Eric Nicholas

This is a passion of mine, especially fixed blades. I love metallurgy, sharpening steel, and the sheer practicality of one of man's most ancient tools. It's a very relaxing hobby. I'm currently carrying a Becker BK7. We can open carry that here. My favorites blades are : Becker BK7, Becker BK10, ESEE 4, ESEE Laser Strike, and the Spartan Damysus. The up and coming 2020 models from SOG and Spartan Blades look dandy.

Last edited:

Len

I luuv knives and have around 20 or so, a few of them one hand opening folding knives..... all cheapies under A$60, some nice action Real Steel or Ruike blades and love to flip em like a fidget toy watching the telly love how it annoys the missus LOL! the best steel I have is made by scandvik and D2.
I still have the first fixed blade knives I ever bought back when I was 15 yo (53 years ago) they have leather rings for handles and starting to look pretty shabby, today my favourite fixed knife is one made from a railway spike with a twisted handle and is a very sharp too! was made by a man at a farm forge way up north of me..... I have seen some really artistic knives that were hand made from Africa online documentary and the artwork on them was mind boggling, truly beautiful pieces of work. I have come close to buying a nice looking fixed blade Damascus steel hand made knife from ebay a couple of times but do not trust them eh! but I love collecting them when I can

Eric Nicholas

I've had one knife in D2 steel, it was great. I want to like it, but my over analytical mind is always giving me reservations about it. The companies I'm interested in purchasing D2 blades from tend to run the Rockwell Hardness (RC) in the upper limit, around 61/62 RC. I do wish they'd run it just around the 58-59 RC mark, because chippy, brittle steel gives way to what I find unacceptable in fixed blades; blades that chip and blades that break. With high Rockwell Hardness, that is far more likely.

However, the companies that run the steel have great reports, so my concerns about the steel are a bit unreasonable, to be honest. I just have this thought in the back of my mind, that the edge will give up the ghost when I really need it. Hahaha!

Last edited:

Len

I had a look at your solid looking Becker a good looking knife. As far as hardness goes I cant say I have ever had a knife chip or crack on me, though I don't try doing anything stupid with them nor drop them, nothing like having a razor sharp edge eh! my current carry is a JohnnyJamie Dogbug which is D2 that has some nice blue accents with a black and white handle, not a large blade at around 3.5".

Eric Nicholas

That sounds lovely, Len. I love D2's properties. Again, I just have that completely irrational, nagging about edge stability during impact abrasion or the like when the Rockwell is so high. Bob Dozier is said to be the "king" of D2. I've yet to try one of his wonderful blades. I'd like to get some steel in 52100, 5160, or 3V.

Eric Nicholas

I've gotten in the habit of using diamond stones for all of my sharpening. They eat most any steel pretty good. But, I must say, they do not leave the most uniform scratch pattern, such as do waterstones. I've had 5160 from Ontario, but they have neglected their Ranger line for awhile, which is unfortunate.

TrustinHim

You guys seem pretty knowledgeable about knives. It seems that cheaper knives a difficult to sharpen to a razor edge like the steel is too soft or something. Is that so?

Len

It seems that cheaper knives a difficult to sharpen to a razor edge like the steel is too soft or something. Is that so?
Hi TrustinHim,
I don't fit into the knowlegdable category on steels at all but that might be partially true for some cheap $5 > $10 knives you might buy fromt the local tackle shop or shopping mall stand but it depends on what you want from your pocket knife, if it is for cutting the odd peice of string an apple or some cardboard sticky tape then most will do just fine eh! .... that said chinese 3cr >5CR and other budget steels like Aus-8, 440 series but the 8CR17MOV, 9CR18MOV is reasonable budget chinese steel that sharpens up easily and quite well and keeps it's edge for light work, Sandvick's 14C28N is a very good budget steel that holds an edge and is easier to sharpen, but once you get into the more modern mdrange steels like
D2 , N690, VG-10 keep the edge well longer but are harder to sharpen and that gets even more so with the premium steels like
CPM-4V, S30V and S35VN .....

Personally I can only afford the likes of the cheapish steels like 8 or 9CR, sandvik and D2 steels so most of my knives are these and last me quite well between sharpens ...... then there is the blade and handle types and opening styles this is where it gets fun!!!

TrustinHim

Hi TrustinHim,
I don't fit into the knowlegdable category on steels at all but that might be partially true for some cheap $5 > $10 knives you might buy fromt the local tackle shop or shopping mall stand but it depends on what you want from your pocket knife, if it is for cutting the odd peice of string an apple or some cardboard sticky tape then most will do just fine eh! .... that said chinese 3cr >5CR and other budget steels like Aus-8, 440 series but the 8CR17MOV, 9CR18MOV is reasonable budget chinese steel that sharpens up easily and quite well and keeps it's edge for light work, Sandvick's 14C28N is a very good budget steel that holds an edge and is easier to sharpen, but once you get into the more modern mdrange steels like
D2 , N690, VG-10 keep the edge well longer but are harder to sharpen and that gets even more so with the premium steels like
CPM-4V, S30V and S35VN .....

Personally I can only afford the likes of the cheapish steels like 8 or 9CR, sandvik and D2 steels so most of my knives are these and last me quite well between sharpens ...... then there is the blade and handle types and opening styles this is where it gets fun!!!
Thanks I have the basic "good " quality and some cheaper ones that just never really get the shaving sharp edge that I like. I have even heated the edge of the lesser ones and quenched them to make it easier to get a keen edge.

Len

I have even heated the edge of the lesser ones and quenched them to make it easier to get a keen edge.
wow, your way ahead of me TIH very adventurous to heat the knife eh! ..... so how did that work out? ..... I have always had a knife of some description but this past few years started to buy a new pocket knife every couple of months, I prefer D2 with an odd shaped blade like a tanto or reverse tanto, sheeps foot etc though my favourite carry is a JohnnyJamie bugout, nice and light, pleasant blue G10 handle and good to fidget flip with plus a useful blade ......

Eric Nicholas

I just acquired a Benchmade 375 Adamas fixed blade in D2. Have mercy, it's a beaut! I'm glad it's not overly thick, as geometry is king. I'm happy to report that it strops very well, after it took down eight or so boxes of cardboard. It's good to have some D2 in hand, again. I emailed Benchmade about the RC they run on it, as it seems high, but they didn't seem too concerned. They must have the heat treat spot on. It has great reviews, but I'll update if it chips out, etc. Oh, I loathe chipping. I'll take a nice roll any day.

Also, Len, I'd love to get my hands on a reverse tanto. I just love the aesthetics of those. I wish they sold more productions in CPM-4V steel. Particle steels aren't easy on the wallet, though. :/

Eric Nicholas

wow, your way ahead of me TIH very adventurous to heat the knife eh! ..... so how did that work out? ..... I have always had a knife of some description but this past few years started to buy a new pocket knife every couple of months, I prefer D2 with an odd shaped blade like a tanto or reverse tanto, sheeps foot etc though my favourite carry is a JohnnyJamie bugout, nice and light, pleasant blue G10 handle and good to fidget flip with plus a useful blade ......

Knives of Alaska seem to use D2 almost exclusively. I really like the aesthetic of the KOA Bush Camp Knife, save the gray matte finish. I like a nice satin or black finish. I just don't care for the gray finishes like I used to.

I wish Buck would re-roll the Buck Sentry with a good Buck/Bos heat treated D2 OR CPM-4V. It won't happen, as they like their 420HC, but that'd be sweet.

Len

I had a look at KOA and perused their knives, my tastes went to their Model 600 folding knife ...... but all the knives look well made from the pics .... as for the bush camp knife there is a big price difference for the bone and the grey rubberised handle eh! I have a few fixed blades and still have a couple of old fixed blades from when I was a young lad of 14 (55 yrs ago) .....

Eric Nicholas

Hey, @Len. I just acquired a TOPS Knives Apache Dawn, Rockies Edition and boy is it a beaut. This one is in deferentially heat treated 1095 steel, as is usual with TOPS. It's a real dinosaur killer. :heh

Last edited: