Let’s go fishing!

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
I've been in brackish waters and estuaries all about the Chesapeake but never in the kind of open water like the ocean. I think the idea of being that far "out there" wouldn't give me much ease.

I would like to try the mid to late fall fishing in and around Ocracoke based upon the stories I've read about it. I doubt I'll have the free time or money for that though.

There's a great river in the eternal Kingdom. I wonder...
“Out there” is really a relative term. Because you can get into trouble in the river, at the beach, or anywhere on the water truth be known.

However it is somewhat unnerving the first few times you venture out of sight of land. When I get a little anxious I think about the Mariners of old, who only had a sextant and a sail. It the whalers who harpooned whales from skiffs, brave souls all of them.

Even as a veteran of the USCG I pray before I venture out or offshore. I also do my part to minimize risks and utilize many modern safety devices.

I don’t have a EPIRB yet but it’s on my list. We generally stay within VHF radio communication and or cellular connections. We navigate with GPS with a charts and compass as backups.

We run with a 1/3 rule on fuel, we use no more than 1/3 capacity to travel to locations and fish/troll. We keep 2/3 fuel capacity for return trips. As you never know when you might run 20 miles around a storm. Common sense and constantly monitoring NOAA weather, changing winds and seas go a long way in being safe.

It is a risk every Mariner takes every time you leave shore. Prepare for the worse and Pray for the best. As a scuba diver I’ve been afraid both above and below the water. You cannot let that fear control you.

I seek Jesus in the storms.

JSTyler

“Out there” is really a relative term. Because you can get into trouble in the river, at the beach, or anywhere on the water truth be known.

However it is somewhat unnerving the first few times you venture out of sight of land. When I get a little anxious I think about the Mariners of old, who only had a sextant and a sail. It the whalers who harpooned whales from skiffs, brave souls all of them.

Even as a veteran of the USCG I pray before I venture out or offshore. I also do my part to minimize risks and utilize many modern safety devices.

I don’t have a EPIRB yet but it’s on my list. We generally stay within VHF radio communication and or cellular connections. We navigate with GPS with a charts and compass as backups.

We run with a 1/3 rule on fuel, we use no more than 1/3 capacity to travel to locations and fish/troll. We keep 2/3 fuel capacity for return trips. As you never know when you might run 20 miles around a storm. Common sense and constantly monitoring NOAA weather, changing winds and seas go a long way in being safe.

It is a risk every Mariner takes every time you leave shore. Prepare for the worse and Pray for the best. As a scuba diver I’ve been afraid both above and below the water. You cannot let that fear control you.

So what you're telling me is that all of life's cartography is labeled with 'Here there be monsters' ?

:runaway

That, I'm good with.

I'm trying to get a lot more disciplined at seeking Him in the calms, too. THAT is the hard part for me...when things are easy, I get lazy.

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I like to eat fish. When I was young we'd fish for trout on backpack trips in the Sierra Nevada. When at home I could ride my bike to the pier about 3 miles or so away and fish for ocean perch and anything else that might be down there. I used a line with 4 jigs when fishing for the perch. It was always exciting on the rare occasion when you'd catch more than one at once. I learned to catch fish by hand while in South America and did a little bit of that in the Sierra Nevada after returning to the USA.

I swear, TT, you've stuffed three lifetimes of living into your life. You should write a book (or use speech-to-text if writing is hard for you). It seems like you always have an interesting anecdote

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I swear, TT, you've stuffed three lifetimes of living into your life. You should write a book (or use speech-to-text if writing is hard for you). It seems like you always have an interesting anecdote

I have been very fortunate with all I've been able to do. My two years in Colombia contained a lifetime's worth of experiences, and then some. I'm thankful for all of it.

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
Went out for a excursion and trolled a little, it was rough. Came back inside and it was rough and cold on the InterCoastal too. Caught two Toadfish and that was about it. The bow navigation lights went out on us at dark, so we pulled up into the creek at the ramp, loaded up and left. We had enough LED’s on so we probably resembled a UFO coming back in!:chatter