Let’s go fishing!

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
I've been in brackish waters and estuaries all about the Chesapeake but never in the kind of open water like the ocean. I think the idea of being that far "out there" wouldn't give me much ease.

I would like to try the mid to late fall fishing in and around Ocracoke based upon the stories I've read about it. I doubt I'll have the free time or money for that though.

There's a great river in the eternal Kingdom. I wonder...
I’ve fished in the Chesapeake and James River when I was stationed at USCG base Yorktown.

My most memorable trip was a deep sea trip out of the Bahamas two days before a major hurricane. We were on a 45’ double deck charter. There were only 12 people on the morning trip. When we rounded the leeward side of the island turning into the windward side to the East, I saw the seas were breaking 10 footers. I told my wife the captain would probably turn back and cancel the trip.

He didn’t we plowed through the breakers into open water in 8-10 foot seas. It was really rough, only 6 people began fishing. Amazingly every drop was catching a fish. But within 30 minutes everyone except the captain, mate, another guy and myself were seasick and most were puking. But we would bait a rod drop it catch a fish. We were catching so many fish the mate quit fishing and just baited rods.

After the first hour the other civilian dropped out sick. That Black Bohemian British Captain says to me ah, you like to fish mate? I said I love it! He replied, “I see that, why are you not sick”?

I said, “Man I’m in the Coast Guard, this ain’t nothing, as I laughed.” The captain laughs and says good, we’ll move and catch some more! We pulled the anchor and turned seaward and headed farther out. Dropped anchor and the Captain, Mate, and myself continued to fish. It was so rough I had to bend my knees and wrap my left arm around a stanchion to keep from falling. But we were catching grouper, snapper, triggerfish, sea bass etc. we were loading the extra large fish box.

The other 11 civilians stayed down in the cabin, salon floor, and heads or throwing up over the side rails. We moved three times and each time continued to catch fish.

After the four hours were up we pulled anchor and headed in plowing through the waves. Some of them breaking over the second deck. The captain closed the watertight bridge, turned on the windshield wipers and we plowed back about 15 miles back into the leeward island side before the seas broke from small craft advisory to 3-5 footers.

I rode on the fantail and thoroughly enjoyed the seawater shower as the waves broke over the decks.

When we pulled into the dock the afternoon group was lined up ready to board. As they watched the seasick stumble disembarking, the Captain gets off the boat and says, “ I’m sorry folks the afternoon trip is canceled, it’s too rough. I had too many customers get sick.

He asks me if I want my fish? I probably had filled a 120 qt. cooler by myself. I told him I’m off the cruise ship, I don’t have anywhere to keep them. I said you can have mine. He was happy, he said between the three of us we had caught about $500 worth of fish. He says I’m going to the market and sell these, with a big ol smile. I told him that was the most fun I’d had on a charter. He thanked me he said, if you hadn’t kept fishing I’d had to go back in.

I’m sure those green faced greenhorns did not like us:chatter

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
Remind me to never go fishing with you, if I ever get the chance :wink2
Reminds me of my first trip fishing in the Gulf of Mexico with my ex father in law. I had only fished on the Atlantic coast previously, and I knew how quick the weather could turn bad.

Now my ex FIL had a real small skiff with a 15hp Evinrude tiller steer outboard. I asked him I said, we’re just gonna fish in the creeks and edge of the Bay right? Yes was his reply.

I told him I had been caught in some rough storms fishing in the Atlantic. He says, Oh the Gulf doesn’t get like that, it’s really shallow where we gonna be fishing. That should have been my first warning flag.

The morning I went with him the weather was beautiful and hot. The seas were flat and he had told me, I don’t go very far out in this boat. We put in a creek and ran a mile or so to the Bay, then he turns seaward and just keeps running Offshore.

After we got about 5 miles Offshore I said, I thought you didn’t go very far out in this little boat? He says well the water is only ten ft. deep at high tide, It’s not that deep. I’m like yeah but we’re a 30 minute ride from the beach.

We fished for hours and caught two trout and a few catfish. The trout we were after really weren’t biting. It was hot and sunny and I was getting a little sunburn even with sunblock on.

It was then I saw the thunder storm brewing about 20 miles out past us. I said, Hey let’s head back in that storm is heading our way. He says, we have plenty of time. It doesn’t get rough in the Gulf, LOL. After about twenty minutes I felt the drastic change in the temperature, the wind was picking up, and lightning was popping out to sea.

At this time I pulled the anchor and said, you’d better crank that motor and head back to the boat ramp, which was about a 30 minute run back in. After 15 minutes the storm had overtaken us. It was pouring buckets of ice cold rain. The winds were gusting 20-30 mph and waves were breaking over the stern.

We could no longer see the marina, but I could tell which way the beach was by the way the waves were breaking. So I told him to head toward the beach / marsh.

I was bailing water with a cutoff gallon jug just trying to keep the boat from sinking. We were barely moving even with the motor running wide open. We literally drove up into the marsh, thankfully the water was only two feet and it was a hard sand bottom with no oysters. At least we were out of the surf. So we sat in the marsh while it continued to pour the coldest rain I’d ever felt for about another 20 minutes.

Then the storm completely passed over us and the sky was again clear and sunny and the seas flat. He says look at that it’s nice we can go back out and fish some more.

I saw the marina was a little less than a mile up the beach. I told him if you turn this boat back towards the ocean, I’m gonna walk back to the truck.

When we got back home my ex asks me well how did it go? I said there’s a first tine for everything and that’s the first and last time I’m gonna ride on a surfboard with a 15hp evinrude motor on it!

I told my ex FIL, we either take my Boston Whaler or we don’t go to the ocean. I never went salt water fishing with him again. I told my ex wife, her dad was crazy and if he continued to fish in the Gulf in that boat they’d read his obituary soon, Boater Missing in Gulf!

JSTyler

Reminds me of my first trip fishing in the Gulf of Mexico with my ex father in law. I had only fished on the Atlantic coast previously, and I knew how quick the weather could turn bad.

Now my ex FIL had a real small skiff with a 15hp Evinrude tiller steer outboard. I asked him I said, we’re just gonna fish in the creeks and edge of the Bay right? Yes was his reply.

I told him I had been caught in some rough storms fishing in the Atlantic. He says, Oh the Gulf doesn’t get like that, it’s really shallow where we gonna be fishing. That should have been my first warning flag.

The morning I went with him the weather was beautiful and hot. The seas were flat and he had told me, I don’t go very far out in this boat. We put in a creek and ran a mile or so to the Bay, then he turns seaward and just keeps running Offshore.

After we got about 5 miles Offshore I said, I thought you didn’t go very far out in this little boat? He says well the water is only ten ft. deep at high tide, It’s not that deep. I’m like yeah but we’re a 30 minute ride from the beach.

We fished for hours and caught two trout and a few catfish. The trout we were after really weren’t biting. It was hot and sunny and I was getting a little sunburn even with sunblock on.

It was then I saw the thunder storm brewing about 20 miles out past us. I said, Hey let’s head back in that storm is heading our way. He says, we have plenty of time. It doesn’t get rough in the Gulf, LOL. After about twenty minutes I felt the drastic change in the temperature, the wind was picking up, and lightning was popping out to sea.

At this time I pulled the anchor and said, you’d better crank that motor and head back to the boat ramp, which was about a 30 minute run back in. After 15 minutes the storm had overtaken us. It was pouring buckets of ice cold rain. The winds were gusting 20-30 mph and waves were breaking over the stern.

We could no longer see the marina, but I could tell which way the beach was by the way the waves were breaking. So I told him to head toward the beach / marsh.

I was bailing water with a cutoff gallon jug just trying to keep the boat from sinking. We were barely moving even with the motor running wide open. We literally drove up into the marsh, thankfully the water was only two feet and it was a hard sand bottom with no oysters. At least we were out of the surf. So we sat in the marsh while it continued to pour the coldest rain I’d ever felt for about another 20 minutes.

Then the storm completely passed over us and the sky was again clear and sunny and the seas flat. He says look at that it’s nice we can go back out and fish some more.

I saw the marina was a little less than a mile up the beach. I told him if you turn this boat back towards the ocean, I’m gonna walk back to the truck.

When we got back home my ex asks me well how did it go? I said there’s a first tine for everything and that’s the first and last time I’m gonna ride on a surfboard with a 15hp evinrude motor on it!

I told my ex FIL, we either take my Boston Whaler or we don’t go to the ocean. I never went salt water fishing with him again. I told my ex wife, her dad was crazy and if he continued to fish in the Gulf in that boat they’d read his obituary soon, Boater Missing in Gulf!
We had something very similar happen to us but on a river. It's called Bush River and is very wide and open and very shallow. When the storm came in, it came fast and without warning. The chop was so bad we had to lift the outboard and tie it down. Our runabout was actually bottoming out on the floor of the river. The peaks of the swells were about 8-10' and the valleys were river bed.

The real twist in this, being a river, is that typically you can deiced to just run in to the shore and ground or tie off, except this is the Bush River and we were on the Aberdeen Proving Grounds side. We were either in and around Redman or Townman cove. They're shallow, grass lined, stoney bottom havens for perch, rock fish and large mouth but they're also scooped out of federal/military land with loads of un-exploded ordinance. So it was weather the storm and risk swimming, or hit the shore and risk getting all blowed up and a federal warrant. They took their "property rights" very seriously back then. That's been more than 40 years ago and I can still see the battle tanks they were testing on the ridges above the river. They always faced in-land and would shoot to some point out of sight far enough away that you could barely hear the boom of impact. The spent shells would eject over the edge of the "cliffs" and land in the water hissing or collect in huge piles along the shore. I begged my dad to allow me to grab just one. He was stalwart and I learned that you don't always get what you want.

And the bald eagles there...they were plentiful and indifferent to the noise of war machines.

JSTyler

Hahha wellllll if it's alright with all the gentleman that I join this thread then yea hahah
Gentleman? :confused2

...he must be talking about someone else.

We're just weeks away from when the scaly swimmers begin hitting bait and spinners and wouldn't ya' know it, I'm going to be down for maybe a month due to the aftermath of an impending surgery...DRATS!

Musician 4 Jesus

Psalms 150 : 1-6 KJV
Gentleman? :confused2

...he must be talking about someone else.

We're just weeks away from when the scaly swimmers begin hitting bait and spinners and wouldn't ya' know it, I'm going to be down for maybe a month due to the aftermath of an impending surgery...DRATS!
She actually I'm a she hahaha. I can't wait till it gets warm enough to go fishing yay crappie and cat fish mmmmm yummy and the cats put up a good fight to hehe

fl2007rn

Wow! I was born and raised and currently live in Florida. I have been offshore fishing many times in the Atlantic Ocean. I would not go offshore fishing unless I was in a large offshore boat with 2 motors (150 or 200 Hp), communication equipment, depth finder, etc. Better yet, go with a group of 2 or more boats together. Your FIL was sadly mistaken because even the gulf can get dangerous if you get in an afternoon squall. My husband and I have a 28 ft Tahoe ski boat and we only take it in the intracoastal waterways or the river, and NEVER in the open ocean.

seated with Christ

I have been fishing a lot when my father was living, mostly fishing in the Atchafalaya Spillway that runs through South Central Louisiana.

Also, going down South Eastern waterways to fish in salt water (not Gulf), we mostly caught Speckled Trout, so good battered in Golden Cornmeal.

I haven’t been fishing since my father died, I was really into it.

We fished with various lures, one called a H & H Spinner bait, for a while with a jig, you don’t cast it, you let it sink beside water vegetation or logs. Then a plastic worm which was a lot of fun and a big fight bringing them in. :)

Last edited:

JSTyler

I don’t target fish I don’t eat. I’m sure there are some people that eat carp. I don’t eat carp. I love to catch fish and eat fish.
I'm the quintessential person that fits the idiom from an old joke that someone printed on a t-shirt;

What is a fisherman?
A jerk on on end of a line, waiting for a jerk on the other end.

If it swims and has scales I wanna catch it, size and variety don't matter. I'm not a fish eater for the most part, so it would follow. My favorite fish to eat are Stick fish. They're easiest to catch in the forzen food section.

JSTyler

Fly rod? We have avid fly anglers here that use floating cotton (think cottonwood trees) presentations an black maribou for leach presentations.
Not for the carp, but I do fly fish a little. For the carp I just use my light spinning set. Most of the places I fish are tight and I can't get seem to perfect the roll cast, so again, I resort to ultralight spinning. I've also settled pretty exclusively on Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. I get the silver ones with the bright green bodies and then add a super-secret custom design change to them...don't tell anyone, but I use bright red testors paint and put three thin stripes across the blades.

The story on that; one day on a creek I had had such a productive day, I quit casting and started observing. I was watching the red-eyes chasing minnows in the shallows all around me and noticed that when the minnows turned on the jets, they'd open their gill covers. I could see the bright red stripes of the gills, so I figured why not?

That color combo and that spinner work on everything, even the mud and channel cats. When my dad was alive we used to fish for Stripers and though we caught a lot of them trolling Rapala Kaluvas (they call them Scatter Raps now), my best fish was caught casting a Vibrax #3 with a white crappy jig grub on one of the hooks. It was only about 7-9 pounds but compared to the typical 4-5 pounders, it was a beast. Also, it had all its juice since it wasn't hooked on the troll.