Let’s go fishing!

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I like to eat fish. When I was young we'd fish for trout on backpack trips in the Sierra Nevada. When at home I could ride my bike to the pier about 3 miles or so away and fish for ocean perch and anything else that might be down there. I used a line with 4 jigs when fishing for the perch. It was always exciting on the rare occasion when you'd catch more than one at once. I learned to catch fish by hand while in South America and did a little bit of that in the Sierra Nevada after returning to the USA.

Here in interior Alaska there's a decent sized pond nearby that gets stocked with trout. When my kids were little I used to take them out there to fish and we occasionally caught enough to have for dinner. I smartly had a rule that the kids had to clean and gut the fish... and somehow that worked out. I used to go halibut fishing on a boat for hire once every couple of years, but back when fuel prices shot way up, the cost of one of those fishing trips became prohibitive. And, because of nerve issues, I found on the last couple of trips that I couldn't reel my catch in unless I had an electric fishing reel. On the last halibut trip I did, which was years ago, I took one of my daughters. In addition to halibut we caught a mess of rock fish, which I love, and one or two cod as well. I dip net fished for silver salmon in Kenai once. Brought home about 40 silvers. That was interesting, but I never went back because the crowded conditions aren't something I'm comfortable with.

I have a lifetime hunting/fishing license because of my disabilities. I haven't used it in at least a few years.

chaser

Praising my Savior all the day long!
I love to fish and eat fish, have it for lunch a couple times a week. I had a great fall catching walleyes and pan fish and imo they are great eating. My grandfather was an outdoorsman, hunted, fished ,trapped, made his own seining nets, dip nets and took me to the river every weekend to run fishing set lines when I was a kid. I fished competitively in Bass tournaments for years and made trips to many huge lakes in many states, the Lord blessed me with a love of his outdoors and grateful to have been born into an outdoorsy family.

I’m not much on cold weather so my fishing slows down when it gets cold.
I used to go ice fishing all the time when younger, but now I can not take the cold, back hurts too much, fingers/hands don't function well, but I really enjoyed going when I could handle it.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I love to fish and eat fish, have it for lunch a couple times a week. I had a great fall catching walleyes and pan fish and imo they are great eating.

One of the most enjoyable times I've ever had was when I met my dad and a couple of his brothers in Michigan and we flew in to a lake in Canada (I forget the name). There was a fish camp there. We stayed for a full week. We fished all day every day and caught walleye and an occasional pike. We ate fresh walleye for lunch everyday, cooked over a fire, and sometimes had it for dinner too. We didn't get tired of all that walleye during the week. It was a fantastic vacation.

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
Some of my most memorable fishing trips were with my grandfather when I was real young. We would walk down the creeks and into the swamps. He would get me up on his back, piggyback, and wade across streams and bogs and we would come out on hammock lakes. We would slay the fish.

When the rivers would flood it would cover all those areas. When summer would come and the water levels drop the fish would be landlocked in the hammock lakes. You couldn’t be scared of gators and snakes or you’d never make it.

It wasn’t nothing for us to come home with two stringers full of all the fish we could carry. Mostly catfish and bream, but the occasional bass or pickerel would get caught too. Most of those swamps are now Cypress hammocks that don’t flood as often.

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
I had some blackened catfish tonight it sure was good. I love to fish but the older I get I cannot stand the cold. I don’t know how folks like TT do it. When it gets below 50 I’m ready for a heater.

My best friend just bought a nice boat and I’m helping him get it rigged up to fish offshore. As soon as it warms just a little we’re gonna get to some nearshore reefs.

chaser

Praising my Savior all the day long!
Yesterday for lunch I pan fried 2 nice size filets from a walleye caught in October, had some veggies and home made bread to go with. I have enough fish to have a meal once a week until some time in March , by then the lakes should be Ice free and I can get a few fish. Spring and Summer I just keep what I am going to eat for a meal that week, I don't freeze any until September and October then I stock the freezer to get me through winter.

JSTyler

As for eating fish...only if fish sticks count. I do remember quit fondly an old food chain called Arthur Treacher's that had an amazing fish and chips meal.

As for actual fishing, I started up again last year after a 15 year or so hiatus and had a blast. I only catch and release however and that's because I don't wanna be bothered with the time and mess. Also, I HATE picking through bones when I eat. My season came down to wading creeks and backwaters. I love the red-eyes (rock bass), brownies and brookies in the small creeks. This year it will be anything and everything that hits the brood X cicada swarms that are set to emerge so I'll be spending a lot of time shore fishing the reservoirs in the area. I'm considering getting a kayak, except I can't afford the kind with pedals.

HisGloryIsPrecious

Another gal who can't pass by a fishing thread. I'm from Long Island. Going for marlin out of Montauk is on my bucket list. Only like the taste of shellfish. A few times went for blues on this party boat where I think the captain was a little crazy. Like he was in a contest with the other boats. My largest species wise was a 29 inch weakfish.

JSTyler

Another gal who can't pass by a fishing thread. I'm from Long Island. Going for marlin out of Montauk is on my bucket list. Only like the taste of shellfish. A few times went for blues on this party boat where I think the captain was a little crazy. Like he was in a contest with the other boats. My largest species wise was a 29 inch weakfish.
I've been in brackish waters and estuaries all about the Chesapeake but never in the kind of open water like the ocean. I think the idea of being that far "out there" wouldn't give me much ease.

I would like to try the mid to late fall fishing in and around Ocracoke based upon the stories I've read about it. I doubt I'll have the free time or money for that though.

There's a great river in the eternal Kingdom. I wonder...

JSTyler

Wondering is free.... I read somewhere that "no eye has seen nor has an ear heard the things God has prepared for those who love Him.";)
God the Father, Jesus Christ, The Holy Spirit still indwelling us (as far as I understand), my wife, my family and brothers and sister in Christ, all the food I could want with no need to use calcium tablets or concerns about fat and calorie content, and dogs millions of dogs that never die or get hurt or hurl on the carpet...that would be more than enough but then we maybe-might get to add fishing to the mix...

...Yeah, it's gonna be indescribably awesometacular.